Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Luis Suarez
      62 (48.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      7 (5.5%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (1.6%)
      Charlie Adam
      5 (3.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      0 (0%)
      Stewart Downing
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      13 (10.2%)
      Craig Bellamy
      30 (23.4%)
      Someone else?
      7 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Liverpool 1-1 Norwich - post match frustration

Read 46808 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Norwich - post match frustration
      Reply #759: Oct 24, 2011 07:30:43 pm
      I still think Bellamy should of started a few more games personally.

Bellamy is already 32, and he is a completely different type of an attacking player. He is a good backup for Suarez, and can sometimes play a valuable role in the wide attacking positions, but sacrificing Carroll's playing time in favor of Bellamy would be very irresponsible.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #760: Oct 24, 2011 07:40:13 pm
      Bellamy is already 32, and he is a completely different type of an attacking player. He is a good backup for Suarez, and can sometimes play a valuable role in the wide attacking positions, but sacrificing Carroll's playing time in favor of Bellamy would be very irresponsible.

Why just back up? He can create and score goals and he works hard for the team.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #761: Oct 24, 2011 08:19:06 pm

Have to agree with this.  It is important to get Carrol minutes, but not at the expense of the team.  The main priority needs to be collecting as many points as possible, and if Kenny thinks that Bellamy will help us achieve that goal by starting ahead of Carrol, then he needs to be starting.  I would gladly play a team full of 45 year old men (depriving our younger up and coming players in the process) if it was the best team we had available and provided us with our best chance at winning games and trophies. 
      lupus_hegemonia
      • Strong & Eternal LFC supporter!
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -9 
      • From Aegean Sea... we're coming to support LFC!
      Reply #762: Oct 24, 2011 08:46:50 pm
      Well.
      Can't say I didn't enjoyed the 1st half of our last game - probably the BEST HALF we did.  for long-long time!
      The problem is, in all our games so far, Kenny can't "fixed" his play since the opponent "read" his strategy; Norwitch "read" our play in the 1st half and they did it to stop our game in the 2nd half, they succeed to equalize (in a SILLY moment of Johnson/Carra/Pepe, when they..  crashed together on the air and Norwich player took the chance and scored),..  and Kenny didn't changed our strategy or formation and he kept (as he did all the time) that..  "ancient"..  4-4-2 with ALL LINES "STRAIGHT" (the players aligned in a line), when everybody's playing now (in modern times) with a "safe" 4-5-1 (defending), which is changing to "4-3-3" (attacking).

Also, Kenny was LATE (again) to put it fresh attackers (like Andy) and he DIDN'T RISK. He just replaced a striker with another one! Where is the risk in that? When you're playing IN YOUR OWN GROUND and the game's not going well for your side, you NEED to risk "a bit" - you need to fill-in your lines with ANYONE can score.
      Also, I'm STILL can't figure out..  why Kenny changed Kuyt in the last 5' with.  AGGER? Did we need to..  keep safe the.  draw??? Unbelievable.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #763: Oct 24, 2011 08:51:52 pm
      I still think Bellamy should of started a few more games personally.

Agreed. To be honest, I think I've been impressed with whatever game time he has got so far. Scored for us against Norwich, played a big role in the opening goal against Everton and impressed when came on against Stoke.

Maybe he isn't young as he used to be but I think he can handle 90 minutes once a week.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #764: Oct 24, 2011 09:04:30 pm

Once again, because he is 32. We can't mortgage the long-term future of the team, just because some of our fans are impatient to get a couple of more points. Carroll must get his playing time in order to develop. Otherwise, the next time we pursue some young and talented player, he will go the other way, seeing what is going on with our most expensive signing.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #765: Oct 24, 2011 09:08:45 pm
      Once again, because he is 32. We can't mortgage the long-term future of the team, just because some of our fans are impatient to get a couple of more points. Carroll must get his playing time in order to develop. Otherwise, the next time we pursue some young and talented player, he will go the other way, seeing what is going on with our most expensive signing.

Do you not remember the influence a 36 year old called Gary Mac had on the team for a season or so?

Im not saying Carroll shouldnt have game time but when he does play he must make the most of it, for instance like Bellamy has whenever he's played.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #766: Oct 24, 2011 09:16:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, which do you think is more important for our long term future?

1.  Get back into the Champions League
      2:  Give Carrol plenty of game time to develop

I'm not suggesting that it would be impossible for us to get back into the CL without giving the big man minutes, but I see it as being more important for our future ambitions in the transfer market and long term success of the club to get back amongst the European elite than giving Carrol minutes to develop.  Andy needs to earn his playing time just like everyone else.  If he earns it in training, then Kenny will give him the chances to perform in the games.  However, I think it would be irresponsible of Kenny to give Andy automatic selection just to gain experience when we are in a scrap with a few other teams just to get back into the CL.  The added revenues from being in that competition alone can bring us 1 more top player, and top players want to play for teams in the CL. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #767: Oct 24, 2011 09:34:36 pm
      Just out of curiosity, which do you think is more important for our long term future?

1.  Get back into the Champions League
      2:  Give Carrol plenty of game time to develop

Giving Carroll plenty of time to develop his game will get us back into the Champions League much sooner.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #768: Oct 24, 2011 09:42:42 pm
      Giving Carroll plenty of time to develop his game will get us back into the Champions League much sooner.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that this will be the case.  Hypothetically, Kenny could start Andy in our next 10 league games.  But what if he only scores 3 goals in those 10 games and we fall even further off the pace for a spot in the top 4?  Would a player like De Rossi, Hazard, etc want to come to a team struggling to secure a CL berth? 

It is Kenny's responsibility to set out the team that he thinks will pick up the best result possible in each and every match.  You could argue that Kelly, Flano, Robo, Coates, Sterling, etc all need game time to develop, but Kenny needs to pick and choose when to give them minutes so that it won't impede upon what we are trying to achieve this season. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #769: Oct 24, 2011 09:48:58 pm
      Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that this will be the case.  Hypothetically, Kenny could start Andy in our next 10 league games.  But what if he only scores 3 goals in those 10 games and we fall even further off the pace for a spot in the top 4?  Would a player like De Rossi, Hazard, etc want to come to a team struggling to secure a CL berth? 

It is Kenny's responsibility to set out the team that he thinks will pick up the best result possible in each and every match.  You could argue that Kelly, Flano, Robo, Coates, Sterling, etc all need game time to develop, but Kenny needs to pick and choose when to give them minutes so that it won't impede upon what we are trying to achieve this season. 

Well, considering that Kenny hasn't started Carroll in our last 2 games, and we have failed to win, we can only do better with Carroll on the team. Not to mention that we have beaten Everton with Carroll on the starting XI. You see, there is no need to defend Kenny's decision to drop Carroll on the bench, especially against Norwich. It was a mistake, and Kenny will learn from it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #770: Oct 24, 2011 09:54:53 pm
      Well, considering that Kenny hasn't started Carroll in our last 2 games, and we have failed to win, we can only do better with Carroll on the team. Not to mention that we have beaten Everton with Carroll on the starting XI. You see, there is no need to defend Kenny's decision to drop Carroll on the bench, especially against Norwich. It was a mistake, and Kenny will learn from it.

A mistake? Yet a large number on here were saying how much better we played without Andy and how he didn't suit our pass and move football. So maybe if we had played Andy we wouldn't have played as well or created so many chances and maybe even have lost?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't springs to mind.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #771: Oct 24, 2011 10:06:29 pm
      A mistake? Yet a large number on here were saying how much better we played without Andy and how he didn't suit our pass and move football. So maybe if we had played Andy we wouldn't have played as well or created so many chances and maybe even have lost?

Agreed. I went over the game a lot in my head after, and in hindsight i thought about all the balls into the box early that could have benefited from Carroll (i remember two particular chances that just missed Suarez that Carroll would have got easy, and had a very good chance). But then i also understand starting with Bellers and Suarez, you got two tricky speedy players who can score, and any other day they would have had a bagful with all the play we had.

Definitely damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Honestly it's perplexing. I'm not worried really, as we had 29 F***ing shots - TWENTYNINE! That's amazing, and shows that this team is going in the right direction. Kenny has us playing well, dominating most games so far. Our issue is, obviously, goalscoring. And to a lesser extent, silly mistakes at the back.

The positive here is they are issues that are very simple in theory. There's no complex problem that requires a huge overhaul, we just need to learn to score with what we have. Players need to be more composed on the ball as we are shooting wide a lot, and just keep doing what we are doing. I can see us breaking out very soon if everyone just keeps cool and doesn't panic.

We'll be alright lads and ladies, we'll be alright.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #772: Oct 24, 2011 10:38:06 pm

It is much more likely that he would have converted at least one of those chances. Probably even more.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #773: Oct 24, 2011 11:04:54 pm

BTW the pass and move story is a lie.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #774: Oct 24, 2011 11:17:09 pm
      It is much more likely that he would have converted at least one of those chances. Probably even more.

Quite possibly, but if he had played Andy and we had struggled, we would just have had the usual suspects moaning about why didn't he play Kuyt  or perm any one from ten others.

Damned if he did damned if he didn't mate.  People will always see things different with hindsight (if we drop points), doesn't mean Kenny got it wrong, just means the players missed chances. If they had put away 5 or 6 of their chances, there wouldn't be anyone questioning why Andy didn't play. 

BTW the pass and move story is a lie.

No doubt, but it doesn't stop a lot from saying it..... just check out Andy's thread.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #775: Oct 25, 2011 01:09:18 am
      Finally over the frustration of this game Norwich were lucky and will be thanking their lucky stars all week they could have been on the end of a 5-6 goal drubbing.
      Redman88
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #776: Oct 25, 2011 05:57:47 am
      This match was very frustrating to watch at times with so many chances go begging, their keeper was outstanding and on another day we could have won easily. They got a very good goal against the run of play and once they did it gave them momentum. It was a quality pin point cross and a great finish by them. I thought Gerrard played too deep and we missed his runs and supporting the frontline. Played too many long balls for my liking and tried the killer pass too many times and it became predictable for them and easier to defend. Still miss Alonso very badly because he played deeper and let Gerrard go forward more and support Torres, its the same with Masch he just sat in front of the back 4 and won the ball and feed it on. Nowwich has been quite a tough team to break down and Chelsea and Utd only beat them near then end. If Norwich were more clinical then they would have beaten Utd because they missed some glorious chances. Bellamy deserves a chance after playing so well against Brighton and done well after coming on against Everton. I would personally start Carroll atleast it gives us two different options. Play the ball long and swing some crosses for him, also feed Suarez as well and let him do his stuff. Sometimes he goes for his nutmegs too many times and loses the ball. Would like to see use challange for the title but with so many additions I feel we will just fall short. I think main priority is win the cups and get into the top 4. If we can do that we can attract some bigger players because we can offer them champions league football. I still think we need a tricky winger/player than can run with the ball and draw a few players to him, if we have that we would be more of a force. In the old days Beardsley, then McManaman. Downing is ok but very predictable by going down the line too many times. I would like to see Eden Hazard at the club and that would be a great signing. He would take players on and get crosses in for Carroll or draw players out and give Gerrard/ Adam more space. The main thing atm is we are playing better and it wont improve over night but we are heading in the right direction. Last year we were down the bottom half and 2nd bottom at one point.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #777: Oct 25, 2011 07:09:12 am
      Finally over the frustration of this game Norwich were lucky and will be thanking their lucky stars all week they could have been on the end of a 5-6 goal drubbing.

Same here. We move on to the next game, hoping to start banging e'm in, big time. :)
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #778: Oct 25, 2011 08:37:07 pm
      We better beat WOY next week!

Quick Reply