Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why Isn't Andy Carroll Starting Games?

Read 12718 times
      Grey Gandalf
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 20 posts |
      Why Isn't Andy Carroll Starting Games?
      Oct 24, 2011 10:35:45 am
      Why isn't Andy Carroll a regular starter for the first XI in the team?

It puzzles me to see a player worth £35 million left on the bench. Carroll definitely has the quality to be playing regularly in the first team but constantly finds himself being on the bench. Where's that lethal combination of the Suarez-Carroll partnership up front that we were all anticipating before the start of the season.

Suarez is a great player, but he's not a goal poacher, and that is something that we have been lacking in the final third of the pitch. As for the match against Norwich, Carroll should have been brought on sooner. He made an impact after being brought on, however he could have changed the scoreline if he was brought on earlier.

Dalglish should really start to do some thinking about our problems with putting the ball into the back of the net. Or maybe he should just tell the players something that Bill Shankly once famously said, "If you are in the penalty area and aren't sure what to do with the ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards."

alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Re: Why Isn't Andy Carroll Starting Games?
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2011 01:24:36 pm
      We seem to play a different style of football while Andy is on the pitch, and we generally create less chances when he is on. That is why Kenny decided to start leaving him on the bench. Having said that, during the last couple of games he has played, we have seemed to still be creating great chances while he has been on the pitch.

It may be time to give him a few games and see what he can do now that the lads seem to be bonding a little more and playing very good buildup play. We are just lacking that cutting edge in front of goal currently that would see us winning games and scoring 2/3 goals.
      Grey Gandalf
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 20 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2011 02:46:22 pm
      We seem to play a different style of football while Andy is on the pitch, and we generally create less chances when he is on. That is why Kenny decided to start leaving him on the bench. Having said that, during the last couple of games he has played, we have seemed to still be creating great chances while he has been on the pitch.

It may be time to give him a few games and see what he can do now that the lads seem to be bonding a little more and playing very good buildup play. We are just lacking that cutting edge in front of goal currently that would see us winning games and scoring 2/3 goals.

Yes, I've noticed that as well. Suarez prefers the ball to be generally played to his feet rather than in the air where Carroll is more likely to create a chance or score a goal.

To be honest, I think Carroll is lacking in confidence at the moment, and leaving him on the bench doesn't do him any favours as well. I reckon, he'll probably start against Stoke in the league cup. Hopefully he gets himself a goal to boost his confidence.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #3: Oct 24, 2011 02:52:31 pm
      I would rather halve the number of chances and score more goals TBH. The puzzle is how to accomodate him. IMHO Suarez isnt a player to make a partnership with he is too selfish and providing he scores goals thats great but we are not scoring a lot of goals as a team so something isn't quite right.
      I would like to see Suarez on the right Downing on the left Andy in the Middle with Stevie linking all across the line.
      It will be interesting to see the team set up for Stoke who are a big team so its probable that Andy would have started anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2011 02:57:48 pm
      Would you say Carroll slows down the way we play? Maybe that is why he is on the bench, because unfortunately we play a lot faster paced game with him not in the side.

And would you also say Carroll was an emergency buy? Because the initial plan was to play Suarez alongside the F***ing king-sized rat who moved to Chelsea?

You also say Suarez isn't a goal poacher, at the moment I wouldn't say Carroll is one either, so we have actually got our strongest attacking option upfront at the moment haven't we?
      Grey Gandalf
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 20 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2011 03:05:14 pm
      Would you say Carroll slows down the way we play? Maybe that is why he is on the bench, because unfortunately we play a lot faster paced game with him not in the side.

And would you also say Carroll was an emergency buy? Because the initial plan was to play Suarez alongside the f***ing king-sized rat who moved to Chelsea?

You also say Suarez isn't a goal poacher, at the moment I wouldn't say Carroll is one either, so we have actually got our strongest attacking option upfront at the moment haven't we?

I think Carroll needs to be given more time on the pitch to prove his worth.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2011 03:22:16 pm
      I think Carroll needs to be given more time on the pitch to prove his worth.

Fine, should start games for the reserves then. Suarez and Bellamy would be my striking options right now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2011 03:25:39 pm
      Fine, should start games for the reserves then. Suarez and Bellamy would be my striking options right now.
      What I  have noticed for sometime RE our quick attacking is that when we  get into the final third it all seems to fizzle out and slow down. Its difficult to question Carrolls impact or ability if he isn't playing.
      We are scoring far too few goals as a team compared to the chances created and there will be a lot more Norwich results this seaosn unless that changes.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #8: Oct 24, 2011 03:38:14 pm
      Carroll does need more time to get his confidence back and to be honest, if you're Bellamy, and you score two goals in the last two starts, then you'd want to be given chances.

danger is, carrol on the bench could turn into an elephant in the room scenario, which would not help his confidence. i trust kenny knows what he's doing and will eventually get the best out of him, maybe now is not the time. and all this talk our game slowing down when carroll plays or that we revert to a hoofing game is not entirely accurate. he has a lot of pace and he can control the ball to bring people in, just like suarez. he's just not doing it at the moment because of his lack of confidence. it will come.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #9: Oct 24, 2011 03:38:19 pm
      What I  have noticed for sometime RE our quick attacking is that when we  get into the final third it all seems to fizzle out and slow down. Its difficult to question Carrolls impact or ability if he isn't playing.
      We are scoring far too few goals as a team compared to the chances created and there will be a lot more Norwich results this seaosn unless that changes.

No but he does need games, but if it's not working in the first team, he should be starting reserve games, let him build some confidence up.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #10: Oct 24, 2011 03:50:33 pm
       Form he has been terrible when he has played.  Even in the everton game bar the goal he was poor. Just because we spent big money  on a lad doesn't give him a divine right to play
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #11: Oct 24, 2011 03:59:03 pm
      But after spending £35m surely he deserves a chance?

He should have been on much earlier Saturday and definitely should have been brought on against the mancs.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #12: Oct 24, 2011 04:02:07 pm
      Form he has been terrible when he has played.  Even in the everton game bar the goal he was poor. Just because we spent big money  on a lad doesn't give him a divine right to play

But writing him off so early into his career won't help either. He hasn't exactly impressed me either, but he'll regain trust by playing only. And we should play him against the weaker teams too, let him get goals and get his confidence back.

I agree with PGlynn on this one.
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 24, 2011 04:21:04 pm
      I think it's time to give Andy a good run of games. I know when Andy first joined Kenny said he's here for 5 years not just for 1 game but he has been at the club a while now and at the moment his costly fee isn't proving worth it.

I rate him and we have seen how devastating he can be in a Newcastle and a Liverpool shirt(Although very briefly in LFC shirt).

Time to get him involved.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2011 04:21:43 pm
      Some people are very quick to judge.He hasnt had his chance yet and if the team isn't set up to get the best out of him thats not his fault either.Having Jamie lash the ball upto him dosen't count as service.I cant remember too many players getting to the bye line and putting in a cross for him to get on the end of.
      I would love to be a fly on the wall when Kenny and Steve Clarke discuss him. We are only 9 games into the league so he has plenty of time to make an impact.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #15: Oct 24, 2011 05:05:10 pm
      He isn't playing because Kenny thinks we'll score more goals without him.

I have a feeling he might rethink that strategy now and allow him a chance as I can't see us doing much worse than 1 in 29 or whatever it was with Andy in the side.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Oct 24, 2011 05:15:07 pm
      He no more deserves a chance than Bellamy or Maxi. I'm sure we'll soon start taking our chances. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Oct 24, 2011 05:16:53 pm
      Ask Kenny.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #18: Oct 24, 2011 05:33:31 pm
      He isn't playing because Kenny thinks we'll score more goals without him.

I have a feeling he might rethink that strategy now and allow him a chance as I can't see us doing much worse than 1 in 29 or whatever it was with Andy in the side.
      Thats the point how many F***ing chances do we need to score a goal.The Stoke game will be interesting.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Oct 24, 2011 05:48:55 pm
      He ain't going to get five games in a row if he is not performing.  Kenny will judge him on a game by game basis.  Keane or babel were never given five games in a row
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Oct 24, 2011 07:42:09 pm
      No reason he cant play and us keep the quick tempo. Just tell the likes of Casrra to fook off lumping the ball at him. He is well able to play on the deck

Personally Id play him with Suarez and Bellamy in a 4 3 3 formation 
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #21: Oct 24, 2011 07:49:59 pm
      Carroll isn't starting for two reasons, they both build on each other for arguments sake. 1) his movement isn't consistently up to scratch at the moment. He doesn't seem to be able to pop the ball off and make a darting/powerful run into space to attack the cross. Or to pick up a bit of space after he has popped the ball off. He sometimes looks quite good in this regard and other times seems to predictable and not quite on the same wavelength as others. 2) the service to him has been f***ing terrible. Awful balls in or not even played at all. For example against Norwich when all Kuyt needed was an early diagonal to pick out his good run. Or against most opposition when the ball was only ever played two feet to high to head it goalward. One of these things I put down to him and the other to the team. Doesn't mean to say both can't improve though, I'm confident they will!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Oct 24, 2011 07:59:01 pm
      Rumour has it Andy snapped up his boyzone cd Kenny bought him at the concert, Kenny's not impressed.

Quick Reply