Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gerrard injury concerns

Read 9554 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Gerrard injury concerns
      Oct 31, 2011 11:29:16 am
      Sure everyone saw the pictures from Gerrard's 'infected ankle'.

Dalglish has hardly been able to call on Steven Gerrard since he took over as manager - with a groin injury then infection and now another mysterious infection in his ankle.

Personally I've never heard of anyone having a cast put on for an infection - especially as it would surely make it more difficult to keep clean etc.

It seems that not so long ago the media said we were a two man team with Gerrard and Torres.  Ironic then that our results have improved so much without either of them in the team.

Most Liverpool fans would almost certainly suggest that Gerrard should be one of the first names on the team sheet. But how long do you build your team and football based on a player who isn't really absent.

Do Liverpool need to start thinking about life without Gerrard as a key member of the team and start playing to the strengths of our other midfielders?  I'd suggest that for Liverpool's sake we do.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Re: Gerrard injury concerns
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2011 11:34:25 am
      If it was an internal infection which has flared up from something like a sprain or fracture and he's had an operation on it, that could be the reason for the cast? I doubt its an external infection from a cut or the likes.

Gutted to be honest.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2011 11:35:00 am
      Never thought I would say it so soon, but I think his time is coming to an end.

He even admitted himself a few weeks ago that he considered packing in after being out for 6 months. He regains fitness and this knocks him back down again, rumors suggesting he could be out for another 2 months? Really doesn't look good, I think Kenny has already started to make preparations for when his time does come to an end with a few of the signings in the Summer.

I no longer think our team is based around Gerrard, for me Suarez is the fulcrum of the team at the moment. Thats not to say a fit Steven Gerrard couldn't walk straight back in to our starting 11, but I think his loss would of been felt much harsher 2/3 years ago than it is today.

Get well soon Stevie.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2011 11:38:35 am
      Certainly why he is not there JD... It's good now that we don't have to rely on him, we have a stronger squad in terms of depth that we have had for years and that can only be a good thing, in the past we would have all shuddered with the thought of no Gerrard for the amount of time we have been without him but now with the likes of Adam, Lucas, spearing, Henderson ( who may get some playing time through the middle as a result of this which could be the silver lining) and even young coady we have options... The other lads need to step up and prove they can do it in there without Stevie because eventually he won't be around anyway.. No one goes on forever... Unfortunately

I had heard a story that he had fluid drained off the ankle as well which could count for the cast? Protect the area for a few  days...

Liverpool as a squad and team will be stronger with a fit Stevie in there but it's not the disaster it once was
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2011 11:41:09 am
      Shocked when I saw that pic.

He himself said some weeks ago that he doubted he would ever return to the game. I found it hard to believe him then, but seeing him now, I realise what JD is saying is correct. It will infact be in the best interest of the club to keep Gerrard as a backup plan when he's fit and not rely on him being our main man.

Hurts me to type this, but I think injuries have got to him. Probably ruined the end to a great, great career.

We might need to think of him more as an option and play to strengths of other midfielders, promote our young midfielders or maybe even get a new player in for short term sake whose playing style is similar to that of StevieG.

This sums it up for me really.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2011 11:41:49 am
      Oh dear.

I guess the wear and strain is now taking effect. Internal infection, again!  May be the groin infection did not really clear up, or possible a knock from a dirty boot. Either way lets hope after this set back Stevie comes back even stronger.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2011 11:44:11 am
      Tbh, I'm not worried but am gutted.

We may have lost our best player, but we've been playing without him for months now. We've got Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Lucas who are capable. Even if Gerrard is going to be out for the long term, we've got Jonjo coming back soon. It's great to have squad depth, unlike previous seasons.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2011 11:44:38 am
      I feel sorry for Stevie. With all that's happening at the club, we could see a nice flourish to his career, it seems like we'll have to look for a replacement in January or the summer to have a dynamic core to our team.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2011 11:50:26 am
      Just text my mate who got a serious ankle infection a few years back after spraining it. He nearly lost his foot as it was particularly aggressive tissue eating infection. He also wore a cast after it.

He had to stop riding his bike professionally after that, let's hope Stevie can still ride his bike (and play football).
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2011 12:09:01 pm
      Judging by his hand he's had an IV of antibiotics, and Kenny said something about an abscess. Incredible the wear and tear the modern game can have on a top player.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2011 12:18:06 pm
      also gutted, for him more than anything. we're not so dependent on him anymore, but we would be a better team with him leading us out, and from a non-footballing perspective it's upsetting that he's not able to share in our revival under kenny so far.

hope it is a temporary blip, but it doesn't look good does it? a decade of giving it everything for every minute of every match might be finally taking it's toll. afterall, at 31 he's not past it, but it's not the age it's the milage. still really hope he gets better, but gutted.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2011 12:25:16 pm
      Where I fear most for Gerrard at the moment is FSG's modus operandi when approaching transfers, what was it Commolli said, they look at all aspects including a players injury record as a player is not going to be much use to the team if he's sat on the treatment table or words to that effect. Now If Gerrard is out for two months, that will have the clubs highest earner having barely featured over the first year of FSG's ownership and it certainly gives food for thought on how they will approach the issue.

As for talking about life Gerrard, it would seem Jordan Henderson has been bought with that in mind.

Best of luck to Gerrard though and I hope he comes through this and its seen as just a minor setback in his recovery and we get another 2-3 good seasons out of him.

Liverpool has struggled with injuries this season, a trend that Comolli is hoping to reverse by statistically accounting for them in transfer policy.

"We are going in the direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play," he explained.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/statistics-guiding-damien-comolli-liverpools-transfer-strategy-supporting-interest-in-midfielder-bla.html
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2011 12:39:33 pm
      I said it before the season started, and I'll say it again...

Gerrard is no longer an automatic first choice.

When he is fit, he is one of the best in the world.... but this is his 2nd infection this year, on basic cuts...

we need to test this problem and see what the score with it is.

Lucas, Adam, Henderson and Spearing will fill the void for now.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2011 12:48:48 pm
      I think, like it was reported for Torres, he suffered a lot due to our risky medical policy under H&G (= being given injections and playing as much possible when he should have been rested more often, knowing he's always been fragile). All comes back to this time, when owners were probably asking the medics for temporary measures as they considered we couldn't afford to play without half of our "two men team".

Not really a surprise, if after all the experimental science to keep him playing in the three last years, he's now suffering injury after injury.

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2011 12:55:57 pm
      Just think he is at a tipping point with his injuries. If you look at his age and games played his appearances and performance on the pitch  then it doesnt look good.We will have to learn not to rely on him his stats are gradually slipping fast.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2011 12:56:24 pm
      Don't forget Stevie had his injury problems at the begining of his career as well which were put down to " growing into his body" I'm not saying the two are related but maybe the intense career he has had is catching up with him...

More for him personally than him as a player the source of these infections needs to be found..

Good luck Stevie lad can't wait to see you back
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2011 01:04:38 pm
      I don't buy into this "he's finished" lark, but I do believe we have bought his potential replacement already for when he does pack it in. That player is Henderson.
      What a player Gerrard has been for us, arguably our best ever. I'll be gutted when he does retire.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2011 01:12:20 pm
      Really terrible blow both for Stevie and the team. I hoped his return would kick our season into another gear, now looks like it might be Christmas before he returns.  Yes we have coped to an extent without him so far, but who can doubt that if we had had a fully fit and firing Gerrard we would have more points on the board now.

All the best Stevie on a quick recovery and an early return.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2011 01:12:48 pm
      Yeh its early days but a cast on after a cut needing more antibiotics is not a good sign for me.

Firstly hes gotta retire from international football straight away, thought he shuldve done it after the world cup. Hes gotta lenghten his career like scholes by playing less.

Secondly i dont think Jordan is the natural successor to stevie. I think we need to take the raul money and add 25m to it and get an hazard or someone of that nature this summer.

Thirdly he didnt look the same after coming back but to be expected after a 6mth layoff. I dont think we'l get 40 game a season out of him so lets start shaping the team a different way now
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2011 01:36:25 pm
      Hes not young anymore either so yes we need to plan ahead for life without him.

If hes out for a month hopefully that would mean hed be full fit for the run of games in December where is freshness could come in handy. Another potential plus is if the lads cope without him when he comes back he simply becomes another option rather then a necessity in the team.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2011 01:40:14 pm
      Judging by his hand he's had an IV of antibiotics, and Kenny said something about an abscess. Incredible the wear and tear the modern game can have on a top player.

Good spot. For an infection to take hold that quickly (I think KK said he got a knock Thurs/Fri) it must be severe and IV antibiotics would be a must. I would say he will be out for a month at least depending on how quickly it clears up.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2011 01:57:23 pm
      It was to good to read in the press that we have been doing it week in week out for a while now.
      Hendo   // Adams  //  Lucas   all putting in a shift.

Remember when it was a disaster if El Noo-Noo and Stevie werent playing?
      Wasnt that long ago.

Stick Stevie in cotton wool and make sure he's fit for when we lift the title.
      That'll do.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 02:23:25 pm by eurored »
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2011 02:37:46 pm
      Must be incredibly frustrating for the lad. Just as he was starting to come back into the team when he's hit with this. Hopefully, the infection was caught in the early stages and hasn't caused too much damage. Best of luck Stevie!

Quick Reply