Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gerrard injury concerns

Read 9527 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Gerrard injury concerns
      Reply #69: Nov 02, 2011 05:27:33 pm
      Injuries are always going to happen and sooner or later all players will hit the sunset of they're careers. Fit or unfit I know one thing for sure, if this happened this time last year we would be fooked. We have depth again and will continue to add quality thru our Academy and transfers. A team cannot rely on 1-2 individuals no matter how great they are, you need a deep bench, good reserves and a strong Academy to maintain consistency over the long haul. We are not quite there yet, but we are getting there, at least adding Hendo and Adam gives the club and Stevie the time to recover properly without hitting the panic button, that alone is a big step up from the last few years.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #70: Nov 02, 2011 06:28:01 pm
      Some of ye belong in the kneejerk thread, Stevie will be here for a few more seasons, just like Manu have Giggs we have Stevie, this is a slight setback FFS get a grip.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #71: Nov 02, 2011 06:37:52 pm
      I agree with lots of the posts and views regarding Stevie Gerrard ,he is a fit bloke, 31 isn't over the hill by any means but ..can anyone hand on heart say Stevie will play a full season again without injury ? i appreciate every player /sportsman gets injured either by being too fit ! or the rigours of the physicality of the sport ,but being a realist i believe we should be looking for a replacement for when he does hang his boots up so we are able to coach someone to adapt to the role ( not that Stevie could be replaced easily ) this isn't a knee jerk reaction it's just an honest opinion .......
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #72: Nov 02, 2011 06:44:40 pm
      I think its a good thing that this happens now,not that there could be a good time for this to happen but.,we have cover for him (unlike the last couple of seasons)  which on the plus side means he can take all the time he needs to get through it, no rushing him back, I know the chahracter of the man means he'll be rushing himself to get back to playing, but there will be no rushing from Kenny. That can only be a bounus for him.

I also wish his bloody luck changes for the better.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #73: Nov 02, 2011 06:54:03 pm
      I agree with lots of the posts and views regarding Stevie Gerrard ,he is a fit bloke, 31 isn't over the hill by any means but ..can anyone hand on heart say Stevie will play a full season again without injury ? i appreciate every player /sportsman gets injured either by being too fit ! or the rigours of the physicality of the sport ,but being a realist i believe we should be looking for a replacement for when he does hang his boots up so we are able to coach someone to adapt to the role ( not that Stevie could be replaced easily ) this isn't a knee jerk reaction it's just an honest opinion . . .
      Fair enough red you"re entitled to your opinion , but i do think that this is a glitch and i think that Stevie needs to concentrate on club football and call it a day on England career, he"s only 31 and fit it"s not too late to lift a PL title or 2.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: Nov 02, 2011 07:14:36 pm
      The guy is 31, not 41. If SG can get fit, he's got a few more seasons in him at the very least. He's one of the few exceptional players that have played for the club in the last decade and even if he has to tailor his game slightly, he can still have a huge impact.
      The concern though is what the hell is wrong with him?! How many groin infections did he have, only for the groin to recover (though he hasn't looked 100% to me since coming back), then to break down again with an 'infection in his foot/ankle'? How is he getting all these infections? And can he shake them?
      Being injured is extreemly frustrating, can only imagine how pissed off he must be (not to mention having to deal with worries and doubts over how his recovery will go, eating away at him). Just hope the current problem is short term and he'll be back making an impact in the 2nd half of the season...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #75: Nov 02, 2011 07:35:27 pm
      Well if nothing else, it's time he sacked off playing for England.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #76: Nov 03, 2011 12:19:32 pm
      Well if nothing else, it's time he sacked off playing for England.
      Fact. Scholes did it and it let him play until he was 36. He wont though.

Gerrard is good enough to go to Brazil 2014 imo.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #77: Nov 03, 2011 12:44:24 pm
      He got a cut on his ankle in training that got infected he hasnt done his ulterior cruciate ligament get a fukin grip he'll probably play one of the Chelsea games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #78: Nov 03, 2011 12:56:00 pm
      Watches Shelvey - Takes a deep breath. We're grand lads. No worries
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #79: Nov 03, 2011 01:34:20 pm
      Pheew

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is hopeful Steven Gerrard will only miss one Premier League game with his latest injury problem.

The midfielder was sidelined for last weekend's win over West Brom after suffering an infection to his ankle.

The problem has ruled Gerrard out of this Saturday's home clash with Swansea as well as England's upcoming friendlies against Spain and Sweden.

It had been feared the injury could sideline Gerrard for up to a month, but Dalglish admits the Reds skipper is responding positively to the treatment and could be back in action after the international break.

"Since they found the infection, Steven has really been progressing extremely well. Everything is positive for him," said Dalglish.

"They found the infection and I suppose it's a wee bit like flu - you know you've got it, but you don't know where it came from.

"But they are treating and it is responding really well, so it's positive for him.

"There's nothing more sinister either."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7288704/Dalglish-hopeful-over-Gerrard
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #80: Nov 03, 2011 01:38:11 pm
      May be all the doom and gloom merchants will take note of Kenny's words.HE ISNT FINISHED YET!!!!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #81: Nov 03, 2011 02:16:24 pm
      May be all the doom and gloom merchants will take note of Kenny's words.HE ISNT FINISHED YET!!!!!!!

Doesn't hurt to plan for the future, one day he will be finished and we need to make sure we have got players to replace him.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #82: Nov 03, 2011 02:25:27 pm
      The future might be as long as four years away and the fact he has effectively had a good rest may infact extend his career. Its not about replacing him its about people writing him off way before they should be.
      The squad should always be in a state of eveloution in all postitions.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #83: Nov 03, 2011 02:35:09 pm
      He got a cut on his ankle in training that got infected he hasnt done his ulterior cruciate ligament get a fukin grip he'll probably play one of the Chelsea games.

Didn't know the cure for an infection was having a cast put on.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #84: Nov 03, 2011 02:43:19 pm

It was likely a special cast/boot that helped push swelling and inflammation out of his foot and ankle.  I would imagine that they operated on his ankle, treated the infection, and then placed the cast to keep it from swelling up to help to keep the recovery time as low as possible.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #85: Nov 03, 2011 02:51:29 pm

No one ever said it was a cut.

There are different types of infection that you can get internally as well as externally. There is no conspiracy here!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #86: Nov 03, 2011 07:56:44 pm
      Shocker: Gerrard aint finished and may only miss one Premier League match.

Funny the way the thread has gone a  bit quiet since this news came out. Doom and gloomers back under their rocks until the next opportunity.

Very sad.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #87: Nov 03, 2011 07:57:41 pm
      Shocker: Gerrard aint finished and will may only miss one Premier League match.

Funny the way the thread has gone a  bit quiet since this news came out. Doom and gloomers back under their rocks until the next opportunity.

Very sad.

to be perfectly fair to people, i think it was more worry and sadness regarding his injury rather than writing him off
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #88: Nov 03, 2011 08:03:21 pm
      to be perfectly fair to people, i think it was more worry and sadness regarding his injury rather than writing him off

Some yes, others no.

Too many Reds only happy when there is a bit of negativity to comment upon.

Check out the past 6 months of Stevie's thread or even better, the moaning when we win in the game threads.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #89: Nov 03, 2011 08:06:12 pm
      Doesn't hurt to plan for the future, one day he will be finished and we need to make sure we have got players to replace him.
      Well we don't need to for years!!!

And we have Shelvey when the day finally arrives. Long way away yet lads :D
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #90: Nov 03, 2011 08:08:28 pm
      Some yes, others no.

Too many Reds only happy when there is a bit of negativity to comment upon.

Check out the past 6 months of Stevie's thread or even better, the moaning when we win in the game threads.

some people are nagative fans some are positive... i dont think there will be one though that will be genuinely happy when he is finally done.. the mans a legend and people are not looking forward to the day he finishes
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      Reply #91: Nov 03, 2011 08:08:47 pm
      Totally agree with the thought of us planning for the future without him (which I think we are doing regardless of his injuries) and retiring from England duty. He could be clever and retire now and miss all the friendlies and then come back and walk back into the fold just before the Euros start.

A la Jamie Carragher.

Quick Reply