Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 315588 times
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #184: May 06, 2012 09:17:18 pm
      I finished watching the TV show Smallville. It was a very good series. I will need to find another show to buy on DVD and watch.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #185: May 07, 2012 12:13:55 pm
      I mentioned some time ago that I was interested in watching Touch and after I watched the first episode, I was quite impressed. Last night I downloaded and watched episodes 2,3 and 4. After watching the second one, which was very predictable I thought great another disappointing one, but since I had nothing better to do went for the other two and boy am I glad I did. The story started developing very good and now I'm very keen on seeing what they'll come up with. Would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Good to hear. It got interesting again in episode 3 but i haven't seen the ones after.

Got Awake to watch too. And House. I'm so behind on my House episodes. :D

But I'll have a bit more time now the first season of Homeland is finished. Really enjoyed this one.  Glad i stuck to it.

What else do i have to watch? :laugh:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #186: May 14, 2012 04:19:42 pm
      Got to say I am really liking the new "Sherlock", series 2. Absolutely brilliant writing with the way they have combined the original characters and stories into one long modern story.

I think the Moriarty character is the perfect villain.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #187: May 15, 2012 12:39:52 am
      My fav TV series of all time

Shogun (still dont know why i liked it so much)
      Shaka Zulu (watch it if you can...great now i cant ghet those bloody drums out of my head)
      V (original mini series)
      Friends
      Commander in chief (cant believe they cancelled the most intelligent series in America at the time, but American Idol is still running)
      Alf (loved it)
      House M.D (untill last season)
      The Big Bang Theory
      Bones (first 5 seasons)
      Criminal Minds
      Two and a half men( untill Charlie left)

Im sure im forgeting some

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #188: May 15, 2012 12:51:49 am
      Got to say I am really liking the new "Sherlock", series 2. Absolutely brilliant writing with the way they have combined the original characters and stories into one long modern story.

I think the Moriarty character is the perfect villain.

He was perfect because Doyle created him to kill Holmes. His original intention was for both of them to die in a fight, but he later "revived" Holmes due to popular pressure.
      Thats the reason for Moriarty only appearing directly in 2 of the 60 Holmes stories (he would always escape, so he was meant to be looked at as an omniprescent evil mind)
      Havent seen the series yet, will defo check it out
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #189: May 15, 2012 05:20:55 pm
      He was perfect because Doyle created him to kill Holmes. His original intention was for both of them to die in a fight, but he later "revived" Holmes due to popular pressure.
      Thats the reason for Moriarty only appearing directly in 2 of the 60 Holmes stories (he would always escape, so he was meant to be looked at as an omniprescent evil mind)
      Havent seen the series yet, will defo check it out

Yeah, If your a Sherlock Holmes fan you should certainly watch this series. In this "retelling" you can really see the connection between Sherlock and Moriarty and how their relationship is strictly based on their current existence. Its perfect Ying and Yang and the writers really did a good job.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #190: May 31, 2012 09:35:28 pm
      Gotta say, I've been fairly bored and disappointed with Game of Thrones this season.  But I was right in saying the Blackwater episode written by George RR Martin would be the best one. ;)

Amazing episode from start to finish.  An added touch of class from GRRM and Neil Marshall worked wonders.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #191: May 31, 2012 11:11:26 pm
      Gotta say, I've been fairly bored and disappointed with Game of Thrones this season.  But I was right in saying the Blackwater episode written by George RR Martin would be the best one. ;)

Amazing episode from start to finish.  An added touch of class from GRRM and Neil Marshall worked wonders.

Different from the books, but I still loved it. I'm disappointed with a lot of the changes they've made, and I can't believe they crammed the whole 2nd book in to ten episodes. They left A LOT out, and altered one of the key characters' stories (no spoilers). This season was not nearly as good as the first.

I'm interested to see what they do with the third season. I think they should split it in to two seasons, as it's a long, long book with a lot going on.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #192: May 31, 2012 11:14:35 pm
      After ditching watching TV a few years back and now only watching podcasts, I'm looking forward to finally starting Chuck season 2 tonight.
      Bier
      Reply #193: May 31, 2012 11:19:23 pm
      Different from the books, but I still loved it. I'm disappointed with a lot of the changes they've made, and I can't believe they crammed the whole 2nd book in to ten episodes. They left A LOT out, and altered one of the key characters' stories (no spoilers). This season was not nearly as good as the first.

I'm interested to see what they do with the third season. I think they should split it in to two seasons, as it's a long, long book with a lot going on.

I actually liked the 2nd season even more than the 1st. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books, so I don't care what's left out.

And the 3rd book is indeed split into 2 seasons.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #194: May 31, 2012 11:25:45 pm
      I actually liked the 2nd season even more than the 1st. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books, so I don't care what's left out.

And the 3rd book is indeed split into 2 seasons.

Did you read that somewhere? Link? Good news!

And I'm still VERY much enjoying the season, I'm just being a big baby :D
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #195: May 31, 2012 11:29:06 pm

Some of the renamed characters have done my tits in too.  Why does Asha have to become Yara?  And they replaced Cleos Frey with Alton Lannister.  WTF!  And don't get me started on Robb's nurse woman.  I can't even remember her name on the show! 

What key character's story did they alter?  I have an inkling who you're talking about but not completely sure. :D

I agree with you that its nowhere near as good as the first.  The first stayed more true to the books I reckon so perhaps that is why.  The splitting of the third season has given me more hope that they'll contain the story a bit more to the books.  I seen a casting call of some of new characters being introduced in season three and its easing my apprehension a bit.

Book three is my favourite, and I would guess yours too (am I wrong? :D) so the next two seasons should be belter!
      Bier
      Reply #196: Jun 01, 2012 12:00:39 am
      Did you read that somewhere? Link? Good news!

And are you still planning to split Book 3 into two seasons?
      Benioff: As George and all his fans have said for a long time, there’s no way to do it in a single season, so it’s being broken into two. We’re still kind of figuring out exactly what goes where. We don’t want it to feel like a two-part season. Another rumor is that we’re shooting both seasons simultaneously, which would be a really efficient way to do things, but you can’t write it.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/30/game-of-thrones-showrunners-season-2/3/

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #197: Jun 01, 2012 06:19:47 pm
      Some of the renamed characters have done my tits in too.  Why does Asha have to become Yara?  And they replaced Cleos Frey with Alton Lannister.  WTF!  And don't get me started on Robb's nurse woman.  I can't even remember her name on the show! 

What key character's story did they alter?  I have an inkling who you're talking about but not completely sure. :D

I agree with you that its nowhere near as good as the first.  The first stayed more true to the books I reckon so perhaps that is why.  The splitting of the third season has given me more hope that they'll contain the story a bit more to the books.  I seen a casting call of some of new characters being introduced in season three and its easing my apprehension a bit.

Book three is my favourite, and I would guess yours too (am I wrong? :D) so the next two seasons should be belter!

I actually like the story of Robb's woman. Glad they gave it a little background, as opposed to how it wasn't tackled in the books.

I'm talking about Daenerys'. They've fabricated a lot of it and I'm unsure why. I can't WAIT to see the finale though. Her spot should be epic.

Cheers Bier!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #198: Jun 04, 2012 01:08:15 pm
      Just watched the Game of Thrones Season 2 Finale.... now the long wait for Season 3 :'(

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #199: Jun 05, 2012 03:43:43 pm
      Just watched the Game of Thrones Season 2 Finale.... now the long wait for Season 3 :'(

Loved the House of the Undying, although it was (again) very different from the book. Pumped for Season 3. Should be TONS of action.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #200: Jun 05, 2012 05:33:23 pm
      There were some poorly handled storylines in that season of Game of Thrones, although the last two episodes have redeemed it somewhat for me.  I didn't realise the prologue for ASOS was going to be at the end so that was a pleasant surprise, being one of my favourite book moments.  Loved that last scene so much!

I've read all these books three times and only after watching that last episode am I catching on to something major! D'oh!!!  ???
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #201: Jun 05, 2012 09:32:11 pm
      Please, be careful with spoilers! I've not read the GoT debate above in fear of reading something I wouldn't want to.

I decided to read the books before watching the series, right now I'm getting near to half of the 2nd book. As for the series, I think I've only watched 5 or 6 episodes of the 1st season so far. I like the series but the details in the book make it so much better!

I just hate when the story is really close to a climax and then the chapter ends and the book changes to a character in the other side of the planet, and only gets back to the 'climax' many chapters later. It can be really frustrating at times :D
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #202: Jun 05, 2012 10:13:08 pm
      I just hate when the story is really close to a climax and then the chapter ends and the book changes to a character in the other side of the planet, and only gets back to the 'climax' many chapters later. It can be really frustrating at times :D

I loved that. Good for a kid with ADD like me :D

I've just started the first book again. I'm too addicted. Winter is coming...
      Bier
      Reply #203: Jun 21, 2012 08:25:51 am
      Watched a Danish/Swedish tv series earlier this week called Bron/Broen (The Bridge). Loved it! It's one of those murder mystery type series, it's very stylish, only 1 season so far.

The Bridge - Bron / Broen Trailer
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #204: Jul 12, 2012 11:14:13 pm
      Just watched the first episode of Newsroom tonight and it looks like one I'm really going to get into. Anyone who is a fan of The West Wing or any of Aaron Sorkin's work should give this a look.

Also on the third episode of Veep which is very good as well.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #205: Jul 12, 2012 11:25:45 pm
      watching season 6 of The Simpsons, damn it's good.

Disc two at present, it's cracking, Lisa On Ice, Homer Badman, Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy, Fear Of Flying, Homer The Great, And Maggie Makes Three & Bart's Comet.

Just looked, disc 3 is a cracker as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #206: Jul 12, 2012 11:30:40 pm
      watching season 6 of The Simpsons, damn it's good.

Disc two at present, it's cracking, Lisa On Ice, Homer Badman, Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy, Fear Of Flying, Homer The Great, And Maggie Makes Three & Bart's Comet.

Just looked, disc 3 is a cracker as well.

Have to say Homer Badman is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen on tv! I must have seen that episode hundreds of times yet I'm still discovering new jokes when I rewatch them (along with plenty other episodes). Especially love Groundskeeper Willie's on filming couples having sex in cars:

"I dinna come forward, because in this country, it makes you look like a pervert.... BUT EVERY SINGLE SCOTTISH PERSON DOES IT!!"

:laugh:

Quick Reply