Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 314111 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1909: Mar 16, 2017 07:20:47 pm
      Ha. I found that ridiculous as well!

Finished watching first season of Billions. Spot on but the most important question is

How did Chuck land his missus? 😍

I recently finished the first season of Billions too. Loved it!

:laugh: Chuck's wife is well out of his league and it's not as though he's the major earner in that marriage.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1910: Mar 18, 2017 05:48:45 pm
      Thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 episodes of Iron Fist. Would rank it behind Daredevil 1 & 2 thus far.

It feels like a cheaply made tv series with some dodgy acting, but putting that to one side, I am finding the story engaging! The fight scenes are decent too, not as good as Daredevil, but fun.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1911: Mar 21, 2017 09:21:27 pm
      Thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 episodes of Iron Fist. Would rank it behind Daredevil 1 & 2 thus far.

It feels like a cheaply made tv series with some dodgy acting, but putting that to one side, I am finding the story engaging! The fight scenes are decent too, not as good as Daredevil, but fun.

I think it's going to go down as a cheesy guilty pleasure  :laugh:

Enjoying it, but  think Marvel didn't bother with even their B team on this.
      I think this was the Z team  :laugh:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1912: Mar 21, 2017 10:40:47 pm
      Thoroughly enjoying my Boston Legal and DS9 re-watch. Also watching season the last season of Merlin for the first time. The whole series has had a rushed, unfinished feeling combined with some premium ham acting from the actors playing Arthur & Morgana, more than offset by the portrayals Merlin, Gaius, Guinevere and, sadly missing for the last season, Tony Head as Uther. It has a whole missed opportunity feel about it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1913: Mar 22, 2017 10:57:37 am
      Thoroughly enjoying my Boston Legal and DS9 re-watch. Also watching season the last season of Merlin for the first time. The whole series has had a rushed, unfinished feeling combined with some premium ham acting from the actors playing Arthur & Morgana, more than offset by the portrayals Merlin, Gaius, Guinevere and, sadly missing for the last season, Tony Head as Uther. It has a whole missed opportunity feel about it.

If you like DS9 you should try The Expanse. I'm not sure it's on TV in the UK but you should be able to find it on a stream somewhere. It's often referred to Game of Thrones in space, with a bit of The Thing and Vikings thrown in for good measure. It's deep into its second season now and utterly enthralling.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1914: Mar 23, 2017 06:25:29 pm
      If you like DS9 you should try The Expanse. I'm not sure it's on TV in the UK but you should be able to find it on a stream somewhere. It's often referred to Game of Thrones in space, with a bit of The Thing and Vikings thrown in for good measure. It's deep into its second season now and utterly enthralling.

Series 1 was on Netflix.
      No series 2 yet, but I'll probably binge watch when it comes on.

A decent series IMO.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #1915: Mar 25, 2017 08:03:47 am
      Just started watching :Shots Fired and it's looking good.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #1916: Mar 25, 2017 06:27:01 pm
      Watched pretty much all of the episodes of Designated Survivor last night, decent enough watch, bit like a cross between West Wing and 24. In fact half expecting Kiefer to drop the glasses don a leather jacket, grab a bag and glock and turn into a Presidential Jack Bauer :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1917: Mar 31, 2017 06:13:50 pm
      Been really struggling to stick with anything for around 12 months now. Usually have something to watch with the GF and another little side series that I can watch on my own.

Finally I've got both of those back in two very unlikely sources when comparing with my usual tastes.

Me and the GF: The Missing - couple of episodes in and I am really impressed with it. Scary to watch at times as a Dad but complex and very well thought out.

Me - Bob's Burgers.

Everybody needs at least a little bit of Bob's Burgers in their life. Very happy that I've only just discovered this and that there are 7 seasons or so for me to see.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1918: Apr 01, 2017 08:08:57 pm
      Lead Balloon is on Netflix!

Recommended comedy about a not very good comedian, his writing partner and various other characters. I love this show!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1919: Apr 01, 2017 08:28:10 pm
      Lead Balloon is on Netflix!

Recommended comedy about a not very good comedian, his writing partner and various other characters. I love this show!

The one with Jack Dee? Was quite good from what I remember of it. Must check it out again.

Some great British comedy on there, watched a lot of great series on it recently - Only Fools, Alan Partridge, Outnumbered, Fawlty Towers - all great. Also Limmy's Show, a BBC Scotland production is also on it and worth checking out. Quite bizarre surreal humour but probably the best sketch comedy to come out of the BBC in years.

Worth checking Channel 4 player as well. Got all the great comedies - Brass Eye, Father Ted, Black Books, The Armando Iannucci Shows etc.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1920: Apr 02, 2017 03:27:44 am
      The one with Jack Dee? Was quite good from what I remember of it. Must check it out again.

Some great British comedy on there, watched a lot of great series on it recently - Only Fools, Alan Partridge, Outnumbered, Fawlty Towers - all great. Also Limmy's Show, a BBC Scotland production is also on it and worth checking out. Quite bizarre surreal humour but probably the best sketch comedy to come out of the BBC in years.

Worth checking Channel 4 player as well. Got all the great comedies - Brass Eye, Father Ted, Black Books, The Armando Iannucci Shows etc.

Yes, it's Jack Dee.

I recently watched Only Fools again. Seen Alan Partridge many many times now as I have all the DVDs. I'll take a look at Limmy's Show soon as currently I have more shows on the go than ever.

I loved Black Books and I'd gladly watch that again as well sometime soon. I never got into Father Ted and I have never seen the other two.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1921: Apr 02, 2017 06:02:48 pm
      Series 11 of Trailer Park Boys came on Netflix on Friday, and I finished it last night  :laugh:

Seriously love that show.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1922: Apr 02, 2017 10:45:03 pm
      Watched This is England the other week and after decided your rewatch the entire TV series as well.

Not an easy watch at times and not perfect but there is something about those characters, their lives and the actors portrayal that draws you in.

The dinner table scene in '90' episode 3 is as well done 15 minutes of TV you'll see and the tension and drama is almost unbearable.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1923: Apr 15, 2017 10:01:27 pm
      Watched This is England the other week and after decided your rewatch the entire TV series as well.

Not an easy watch at times and not perfect but there is something about those characters, their lives and the actors portrayal that draws you in.

The dinner table scene in '90' episode 3 is as well done 15 minutes of TV you'll see and the tension and drama is almost unbearable.

Thought the film was great. But not exactly one of those films I like watching again given how hard hitting it was. Did catch the first series (86?) when it was first on - just too dark for me sadly!

Watched the second series of Car Share on BBC iPlayer this week. Great stuff. Best thing Peter Kay's done since Phoenix Nights by some considerable distance.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1924: Apr 15, 2017 10:38:36 pm
      Started watching The Flash last month, half way through season 3 now. A good watch.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1925: Apr 18, 2017 10:32:56 pm
      Broadchurch series 3 finished yesterday. Great acting as ever by David Tennant and Olivia Coleman. Good story as well, enjoyed it a lot.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1926: Apr 19, 2017 12:40:27 am
      The Expanse Se 2.

Still can't get my head around that "belters" accent, which seems to be a cross between Jamaican, South African, West Africa, Irish  and Scottish, depending on who's talking  :laugh:

Good series though.
      Warming up nicely, and good for the Sci-i folk (like me) as well.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1927: Apr 21, 2017 11:41:52 pm
      Just finished watching the premiere episode of The Leftovers season 3.

Wow!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1928: Apr 25, 2017 05:38:52 pm
      I completely missed The Night Manager on tv last year so took the opportunity to watch it as it's been added to Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed it and I thought Hugh Laurie played his part particularly well as did Tom Hollander. In fact, good performances all round and a solid narrative.

Watching Designated Survivor, Billions and Better Call Saul week to week plus halfway through Homeland, also enjoying the second series of Hand of God on Amazon and re-watching House of Cards in preparation for the new series. For light relief from drama, I'm watching Girlboss on Netflix and I have to say I like it so far although I'm only three episodes in.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1929: Apr 25, 2017 05:43:32 pm
      Finally made it all the way through Series 1 of Iron Fist.

I think it's fair to say that it picked up in the 2nd half of the series.

I also think it's fair to say there are much better shows out there.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1930: Apr 25, 2017 06:05:09 pm
      Finally made it all the way through Series 1 of Iron Fist.

I think it's fair to say that it picked up in the 2nd half of the series.

I also think it's fair to say there are much better shows out there.

I think they set the bar too high with Daredevil..the following series of 'Defenders' failed to impress.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1931: Apr 25, 2017 06:11:16 pm
      I think they set the bar too high with Daredevil..the following series of 'Defenders' failed to impress.

I'm not a big fan of Daredevil, either.

To me, it's about on a par with Iron Fist as far as both first series go, but I haven't watched subsequent series yet.

Quick Reply