Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309329 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #23: Nov 17, 2011 10:04:55 pm
      Touché, maybe I should give it a go...

Seriously...its good  ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Nov 18, 2011 05:23:16 am
      Watched 2 more episodes of Justified and I'm loving it so far. As I said, Raylan Givens has a bit of Clint Eastwood's best characters in a modern surrounding. Great :D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: Nov 18, 2011 06:29:58 am
      Glad you're enjoying it. I like how the relationships develop (or degrade) between Boyd and Bo Crowder and also between Raylan and his dad.
      That's why I'm looking forward to series 2, without giving away the ending to the first series, I'm intrigued to see how they progress.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: Nov 18, 2011 10:46:40 am
      Watching and enjoying Boardwalk Empire, Romanzo Criminale and Braquo.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #27: Nov 19, 2011 11:25:57 pm
      I'm currently watching The Walking Dead. After being disappointed by the ending in Season 1 I am enjoying this one but just waiting for some more action as it is a bit slow at the minute.

I've watched The Sopranos twice now and can't recommend it enough. Truly brilliant.

Another favourite is The West Wing which I just finished a few months ago.

Just started watching Frasier form the first episode again and forgot how good it was so plenty there to keep me going.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Nov 19, 2011 11:28:34 pm
      Glad you're enjoying it. I like how the relationships develop (or degrade) between Boyd and Bo Crowder and also between Raylan and his dad.
      That's why I'm looking forward to series 2, without giving away the ending to the first series, I'm intrigued to see how they progress.

Absolutely loving it! Watched until the 10th episode of the first series, will finish it very soon (only 3 more left), then series 2 here I go.

Just started watching Frasier form the first episode again and forgot how good it was so plenty there to keep me going.

I watch it quite often in the morning before I go to work, never seen the whole series though, just the random episodes that are on tv.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #29: Nov 19, 2011 11:30:15 pm
      I used to watch Frasier Diego and didn't realise it was being repeated in the mornings but after talking about it in work I started from the first one and am going to keep going.

Very funny series.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Nov 21, 2011 03:28:57 am
      I'm so susceptible to getting addicted to anything, it's ridiculous. I've already finished Justified 1st series (seen all the episodes in just a few days) and I'm already starting the 2nd series now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31: Nov 21, 2011 12:54:49 pm
      I'm so susceptible to getting addicted to anything, it's ridiculous. I've already finished Justified 1st series (seen all the episodes in just a few days) and I'm already starting the 2nd series now.

Brilliant series, watched both the first and second series, loved every episode. The first episode of the first series is based on a short story "Fire In the Hole" and the novels Pronto and Riding the Rap by Elmore Leonard.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #32: Nov 21, 2011 03:00:03 pm
      For another good straight through watch on Netflix, I recommend Friday Night Lights. Great ensemble cast. I also want to start watching Breaking Bad, but I'm scared of becoming addicted to ANOTHER show :D

Started watching Friday Night Lights as well, I'm on the 6th episode of the 1st series. It's almost too dramatic for me, but the acting is really good, and the football background makes it very enjoyable.
      corkred83
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #33: Nov 21, 2011 05:22:52 pm
      Started watching Friday Night Lights as well, I'm on the 6th episode of the 1st series. It's almost too dramatic for me, but the acting is really good, and the football background makes it very enjoyable.

Friday Night Lights is quality,one of my favourite shows of all time,every season got better bar the one they had to cut it short due to the writers strike,gutted its finished now.Tim Riggins is a great character 2
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #34: Nov 21, 2011 08:48:17 pm
      Didn't think I'd enjoy FNL at all because of my lack of American Football knowledge. How wrong I was. 

Got hooked, watched every episode in the space of a few months, damn it was amazing.

Love NFL now too :P
      corkred83
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #35: Nov 21, 2011 10:00:42 pm

downloading Justified right now.Looks good in the promo,need a new show to get addicted  to
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36: Nov 21, 2011 10:04:06 pm
      Started Volume 2 of Prisoner Cell Block H.  Volume 1 had Madge from Neighbours in a few episodes, already spotted Ailsa from Home & Away in Volume 2.  It's so bad, it's good. 
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #37: Nov 21, 2011 10:45:57 pm
      Good idea for a thread, I've always wanted to talk about shows without having to start a separate thread. ;)

I don't really watch TV that much but I do watch a lot of boxsets and shows on the computer.

Totally agree with you on The Walking Dead, Diego.  The first season was great and the pilot was one of the best things I have ever seen, but it is going drastically downhill.  Watching it reminds me an awful lot of Lost, especially the survival and philosophical aspects it tries to incorporate.  Lost did it a million times better though with characters you cared about.  Couldn't give a sh*t about any of them on The Walking Dead.  The zombies are the only reason I keep watching, and even they've taken a backseat cos they don't eat anybody!  And how come mindless, brain dead zombies have the wit to always sneak up and ambush the survivors?  They spend most of their time arguing over stupid things and making stupid decisions that its cringeworthy to watch.

I'm watching about 10 different shows at the same time currently so it gets fairly confusing. 

Boardwalk Empire season two is fantastic at the minute, much better than season one which was also great.
      The Walking Dead season two is very mediocre so far IMO.
      Dexter season six is still pretty good.  A bit of a repetitive formula but I love it
      American Horror Story season one is really impressive.  Didn't think I would like it as it seemed a mish mash of every horror cliche under the sun.  But its creepy, dark and actually has a decent storyline coming along.
      Supernatural season seven is okay.  Probably should have ended after five amazing seasons.  But the occasional brilliant episode does it make it worth ploughing through the ordinary ones.
      The Vampire Diaries season three - people may laugh at this one but this show is so entertaining. :D  At this moment in time, definitely better than Supernatural.  And better than True Blood!

In boxsets I am on Fringe season two, as well as Justified season two and Breaking Bad season three.

The best of all though is Six Feet Under.  I'm only on the third season but that show is incredible.  The characters are the most believable I have ever seen and its so emotional that you can relate to all of them, even the ones you hate.  A show about a dysfunctional family of funeral directors shouldn't appeal to me but it is one of the best I have ever seen.

Of course there are others like Deadwood, The Wire, Carnivale, Spartacus, Firefly, Rome that everybody should watch. ;)

And btw Twin Peaks is fantastic.  Special Agent Dale Cooper being one of the best characters ever created.  A great mix of tension and dark atmosphere with wacky humour.  Couldn't recommend it enough...couldn't recommend any of the shows I have mentioned enough. :D

I do have a life outside of TV shows though...there's quite a lot I haven't even mentioned haha.

sh*t I nearly forgot to mention Game of Thrones.  As a big fan of the books and having had the privilege of meeting some of the cast, crew and the author of the books, I may be a little biased - but this show is currently the best on TV at the minute, barring none.

Here's an insight into season two for anyone interested:

Game of Thrones: Season 2 In Production
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2011 11:25:42 pm
      downloading Justified right now.Looks good in the promo,need a new show to get addicted  to

I think you won't regret it mate! It's so good :)

Good idea for a thread, I've always wanted to talk about shows without having to start a separate thread. ;)

I don't really watch TV that much but I do watch a lot of boxsets and shows on the computer.

Totally agree with you on The Walking Dead, Diego.  The first season was great and the pilot was one of the best things I have ever seen, but it is going drastically downhill.  Watching it reminds me an awful lot of Lost, especially the survival and philosophical aspects it tries to incorporate.  Lost did it a million times better though with characters you cared about.  Couldn't give a sh*t about any of them on The Walking Dead.  The zombies are the only reason I keep watching, and even they've taken a backseat cos they don't eat anybody!  And how come mindless, brain dead zombies have the wit to always sneak up and ambush the survivors?  They spend most of their time arguing over stupid things and making stupid decisions that its cringeworthy to watch.

I'm watching about 10 different shows at the same time currently so it gets fairly confusing. 

Boardwalk Empire season two is fantastic at the minute, much better than season one which was also great.
      The Walking Dead season two is very mediocre so far IMO.
      Dexter season six is still pretty good.  A bit of a repetitive formula but I love it
      American Horror Story season one is really impressive.  Didn't think I would like it as it seemed a mish mash of every horror cliche under the sun.  But its creepy, dark and actually has a decent storyline coming along.
      Supernatural season seven is okay.  Probably should have ended after five amazing seasons.  But the occasional brilliant episode does it make it worth ploughing through the ordinary ones.
      The Vampire Diaries season three - people may laugh at this one but this show is so entertaining. :D  At this moment in time, definitely better than Supernatural.  And better than True Blood!

In boxsets I am on Fringe season two, as well as Justified season two and Breaking Bad season three.

The best of all though is Six Feet Under.  I'm only on the third season but that show is incredible.  The characters are the most believable I have ever seen and its so emotional that you can relate to all of them, even the ones you hate.  A show about a dysfunctional family of funeral directors shouldn't appeal to me but it is one of the best I have ever seen.

Of course there are others like Deadwood, The Wire, Carnivale, Spartacus, Firefly, Rome that everybody should watch. ;)

And btw Twin Peaks is fantastic.  Special Agent Dale Cooper being one of the best characters ever created.  A great mix of tension and dark atmosphere with wacky humour.  Couldn't recommend it enough...couldn't recommend any of the shows I have mentioned enough. :D

I do have a life outside of TV shows though...there's quite a lot I haven't even mentioned haha.

Sh*t I nearly forgot to mention Game of Thrones.  As a big fan of the books and having had the privilege of meeting some of the cast, crew and the author of the books, I may be a little biased - but this show is currently the best on TV at the minute, barring none.

Here's an insight into season two for anyone interested:

Game of Thrones: Season 2 In Production

Out of all the shows you mentioned that I haven't watched yet, I'm very interested in The Wire. A friend of mine compared it to The Shield, which is one of my favorite series ever, so it's probably good. I'll give it a chance when I finish Justified's 2nd season.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #39: Nov 22, 2011 08:09:14 pm
      Keep going with FNL, Diego. It gets better and better. They do a fantastic job developing characters. By the time it ended, I was so emotionally attached to Coach Taylor that I checked in to couple's therapy by myself :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Nov 23, 2011 03:47:19 pm
      Keep going with FNL, Diego. It gets better and better. They do a fantastic job developing characters. By the time it ended, I was so emotionally attached to Coach Taylor that I checked in to couple's therapy by myself :D

:D Coach Taylor is an amazing character, I'm loving it so far.
      Bier
      Reply #41: Nov 23, 2011 11:55:46 pm
      I really liked the original Friday Night Lights movie with Billy Bob Thornton. I never really started on the series because the promos made it look like one of those teen dramas.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Nov 28, 2011 11:00:52 pm
      I really liked the original Friday Night Lights movie with Billy Bob Thornton. I never really started on the series because the promos made it look like one of those teen dramas.

Far from it. Better than the movie, I thought. It's a great series.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #43: Nov 29, 2011 04:12:33 pm
      If you like silly comedy than a show that I recommend is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Danny Devito is in it after the first season but the series the whole way through is gold.

Guilty pleasure of mine is 2 Broke Girls, it's new and I for some reason been hooked on it. Maybe a bit corny but I always get a kick out of it.

FNL was a great series as was the movie. The original book for FNL is a solid read as well though it really give a darker view on the town and how the treatment of these kids as super star really hurts them in the long run.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Nov 29, 2011 07:46:00 pm
      I've been meaning to watch It's Always Sunny. If you're in to that, I hope you watched Arrested Development. That show was absolutely brilliant.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #45: Nov 29, 2011 09:58:31 pm
      I've been meaning to watch It's Always Sunny. If you're in to that, I hope you watched Arrested Development. That show was absolutely brilliant.

Yes! Shame the show only lasted 3 seasons as it was one of the best show on TV during 03-05, there is always talk about a movie coming out but nothing been finalized yet.

Quick Reply