Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 313896 times
      srslfc and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #2691: Jan 25, 2022 11:50:57 pm
      paints a terrible picture of Liverpool

How so, mate? Genuine question as I've not seen it 👍

Edit: just noticed you're on Wirral, like me, Tez. Whereabouts mate?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2692: Jan 26, 2022 05:08:48 pm
      How so, mate? Genuine question as I've not seen it 👍

Edit: just noticed you're on Wirral, like me, Tez. Whereabouts mate?

I live in Bromborough but but moved from Kensington due to job moving. Just the normal portait drugs rife, crime all rife. Were in life were no different to any other city if anything were better. I drink in Liverpool most weeks and see little if any crime.Manchester is far worsebur we are always shown as the criminals
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #2693: Jan 26, 2022 05:28:46 pm
      https://mobile.twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1486109016820523011

Another sad b***ard who's become a caricature of himself. Could actually say the same about his accent and The Apprentice.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #2694: Jan 26, 2022 05:32:39 pm
      Watched all the Responder episodes tonight thought it was excellent, paints a terrible picture of Liverpool, but the is loads of dark humour which was very funny while being very sad at the same time a must watch

It is fictional and was written by a former Scouse police officer. Some of the stuff such as the rave scene is a bit OTT. But again if everything was based on real life it'd be tame and boring.

Freeman is superb and the dialogue is very good.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,780 posts | 3378 
      Reply #2695: Jan 26, 2022 05:35:19 pm
      Watched all the Responder episodes tonight thought it was excellent, paints a terrible picture of Liverpool, but the is loads of dark humour which was very funny while being very sad at the same time a must watch

I would hope that people would see its fictional,

Think it’s excellent , superb writing and Freeman is brilliant
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2696: Jan 27, 2022 07:10:58 pm
      I would hope that people would see its fictional,

Think it’s excellent , superb writing and Freeman is brilliant

It is excellent as I have posted, but what fucks me off is it’s Liverpool is always show on it’s darker side and never in a positive image, when ever it single pregnant women it’s Liverpool and it dose my head f**king in
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2022 07:36:08 pm by tezmac »
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #2697: Jan 27, 2022 07:23:15 pm
      Watched Afterlife (3) recently; some funny moments and some enjoyably eccentric characters, but there were many scenes so mawkish and preachy that I had to fast forward.

Landscapers is excellent, based on actual events though I've no idea how accurately. David Thewliss is superb, and there is no one better than Olivier Colman in recent times.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2698: Jan 27, 2022 11:23:18 pm
      Just finished season 4 of Billions and onto season 5.

Absolutely love it, think Paul Giamatti is absolutely great in it.

Love it, just gutted Axe isn't in the show anymore!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #2699: Jan 28, 2022 12:46:54 pm
      Love it, just gutted Axe isn't in the show anymore!

Spoiler alert :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #2700: Jan 28, 2022 01:26:11 pm
      Peacemaker.

Hilarious, violent, cheesey as F**k and definitely worth a watch for any fans of James Gunn's The Suicide Squad.

John Cena is funny as F**k in the title role.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2701: Jan 28, 2022 10:16:55 pm

hahhahah they do show it in the last ep of the previous season mate.  :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #2702: Jan 29, 2022 12:18:30 am
      Just finished McCartney 321 on Disney+

A perfect encore to Get Back.

I think it was FL who said he could watch stuff like this on a loop and I'm exact the same.

The man is a pioneer and for me often overlooked as one of music's true genius.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #2703: Jan 29, 2022 12:59:13 am

I think it was FL who said he could watch stuff like this on a loop and I'm exact the same.

I actually just finished watching a segment of Get Back. I totally agree! Like that George Harrison doc a few years back, you can't help but fall into their world. I think it's such a strange, mythical power that The Beatles continue to have today that you just can't take your eyes off it. I think the trick is that these were just 4 totally normal guys from Liverpool. We just instantly connect with them. There's no building up of stature with them, no woe is me special case backstory or PR constructed demi god status to make us feel distant from them or hail as some sort of prophets. And even after 60 years in the spotlight McCartney still feels like such a normal guy. He's effortlessly cool without trying to be, no deceit or arrogance about him. Just a normal guy who made great music and has gifted it to the world. Musically and melodically he is the best there will ever be.

I was taking a look at my brothers Christmas present over the holidays - McCartney's Lyrics double volume (heavy pair of books!). I was engrossed by his descriptions of the songs especially the ones in his solo life that I was not familiar with. An absolute treasure trove and were still so lucky to have him around still doing what he does better than the rest. I'm definitely heading into a deeper dive of his solo work.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #2704: Jan 29, 2022 01:05:06 am
      I actually just finished watching a segment of Get Back. I totally agree! Like that George Harrison doc a few years back, you can't help but fall into their world. I think it's such a strange, mythical power that The Beatles continue to have today that you just can't take your eyes off it. I think the trick is that these were just 4 totally normal guys from Liverpool. We just instantly connect with them. There's no building up of stature with them, no woe is me special case backstory or PR constructed demi god status to make us feel distant from them or hail as some sort of prophets. And even after 60 years in the spotlight McCartney still feels like such a normal guy. He's effortlessly cool without trying to be, no deceit or arrogance about him. Just a normal guy who made great music and has gifted it to the world. Musically and melodically he is the best there will ever be.

I was taking a look at my brothers Christmas present over the holidays - McCartney's Lyrics double volume (heavy pair of books!). I was engrossed by his descriptions of the songs especially the ones in his solo life that I was not familiar with. An absolute treasure trove and were still so lucky to have him around still doing what he does better than the rest. I'm definitely heading into a deeper dive of his solo work.

Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is there are still people who either haven't truly heard the greatness of The Beatles or its passed them by

We had our Regional Meeting in work the other day and part of the opening our Regional Manager had a segment with music relating to the year just gone which we had a group quiz on.

One song was We Can Work It Out and I was the only one who knew it and it boggles my mind that some people can't even recognise their music.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #2705: Jan 29, 2022 02:09:19 pm
      Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is there are still people who either haven't truly heard the greatness of The Beatles or its passed them by

We had our Regional Meeting in work the other day and part of the opening our Regional Manager had a segment with music relating to the year just gone which we had a group quiz on.

One song was We Can Work It Out and I was the only one who knew it and it boggles my mind that some people can't even recognise their music.

Wow. That does worry me that! In my mind I have somewhat naive idea that all the number 1 records of The Beatles (basically all the tracks on Beatles 1) is or should be known by mostly everyone on this planet!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2706: Jan 30, 2022 03:38:11 pm
      The Responder on Iplayer - Freeman is superb

Saw the 1st episode, thought he was really good.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2707: Jan 30, 2022 03:40:34 pm
      https://mobile.twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1486109016820523011

Another sad b***ard who's become a caricature of himself. Could actually say the same about his accent and The Apprentice.

Think Alan and the missus overdue down the hearing aid shop.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2708: Feb 03, 2022 09:59:46 pm
      still getting through Ash V the Evil dead on series 3 it just really great tongue in cheek horror. Piss myself laughing at some of Ashes lines and antics
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #2709: Feb 04, 2022 08:30:54 am
      Mary Beard...I cant remember the last time I actually had to shield my eyes from the screen, but fair play for showing it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #2710: Feb 04, 2022 01:49:11 pm

Wait...I haven't seen that. I've got to go find it now. Glad I was checking this thread. McCartney is a wizard.

Hands up I have to admit, when I was much younger, I didn't really like The Beatles. I was into hair bands and hard rock and couldn't understand why people though those "jingly" songs were so important and powerful. As I grew up and thankfully my musical tastes started to refine (I still love me some hair bands to this day though) I finally started to get to delve into all of their work and found an amazing swath of different types of music all from one band. Now at 46 I'll come to blows with someone that doesn't recognize or acknowledge how important this band was. Pretty much everyone artist I listen to was inspired in some way by The Beatles. Not to mention some of the recording techniques they used, things that revolutionized music in ways a lot of people don't understand to this day. It's funny, one thing that Get Back has revealed to me...I used to not really like John that much, was more of a McCartney fan and a Ringo fan. Always thought John was a bit aloof and of course didn't really care for Yoko. But through the documentary, I really came to appreciate John a lot more. I think the bravado and aloofness was a bit of a defense mechanism as he worked with McCartney. And I still think Yoko is a bit of a caricature but I don't really hate her.

I will say, the documentary did cement my feelings that Harrison is a bit of a wet blanket, but he did have an unenviable job of trying to carve out space with two geniuses. I could watch that behind the scenes type stuff for days and days though. Love the insight and as a little bit of a musician myself it's invaluable for inspiration. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #2711: Feb 04, 2022 05:07:37 pm
      Wait...I haven't seen that. I've got to go find it now. Glad I was checking this thread. McCartney is a wizard.

Hands up I have to admit, when I was much younger, I didn't really like The Beatles. I was into hair bands and hard rock and couldn't understand why people though those "jingly" songs were so important and powerful. As I grew up and thankfully my musical tastes started to refine (I still love me some hair bands to this day though) I finally started to get to delve into all of their work and found an amazing swath of different types of music all from one band. Now at 46 I'll come to blows with someone that doesn't recognize or acknowledge how important this band was. Pretty much everyone artist I listen to was inspired in some way by The Beatles. Not to mention some of the recording techniques they used, things that revolutionized music in ways a lot of people don't understand to this day. It's funny, one thing that Get Back has revealed to me...I used to not really like John that much, was more of a McCartney fan and a Ringo fan. Always thought John was a bit aloof and of course didn't really care for Yoko. But through the documentary, I really came to appreciate John a lot more. I think the bravado and aloofness was a bit of a defense mechanism as he worked with McCartney. And I still think Yoko is a bit of a caricature but I don't really hate her.

I will say, the documentary did cement my feelings that Harrison is a bit of a wet blanket, but he did have an unenviable job of trying to carve out space with two geniuses. I could watch that behind the scenes type stuff for days and days though. Love the insight and as a little bit of a musician myself it's invaluable for inspiration. 

Funny you say about Lennon and McCartney.

I was always much more of a Lennon fan but Get Back really reminded my how much I love Paul and what a true music great he is.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #2712: Feb 05, 2022 08:19:56 pm
      It's 2022 and somehow The Office is still as funny as the first time I watched it. British comedy at its absolute finest.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2713: Feb 20, 2022 07:22:55 pm

I've grown up with everyone around me loving them. My 12 year old has loved them since he was like 5. In all that, I've never took to them and I don't know the reason why. I don't dislike them.

So, I'm going to do a bit of a thing and listen, watch and read about them. From the start and in order but only after I've watched the Get Back stuff.

Aside from that I've just watched season  3 of Succession and felt a bit flat, after it, if I'm being honest. It all felt a bit rushed as it might have actually been. Felt the plot fell off as well as some performances from characters

Quick Reply