Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 314918 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #2921: Feb 02, 2024 05:39:23 pm
      I used to really like Homeland, found it hard to stop watching during the first season. But the longer it went, the more far fetched it started to become, up until a point I stopped caring. Can't even remember what was the last episode I saw. I guess that's an issue many American series share - if they're successful, the show creators will try to stretch it way longer than originally intended and often lose their way in doing so.

Last couple seasons were garbage. Another show that should have ended after 5 seasons max.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #2922: Feb 02, 2024 05:51:04 pm
      I used to really like Homeland, found it hard to stop watching during the first season. But the longer it went, the more far fetched it started to become, up until a point I stopped caring. Can't even remember what was the last episode I saw. I guess that's an issue many American series share - if they're successful, the show creators will try to stretch it way longer than originally intended and often lose their way in doing so.

American TV for you. Law of diminishing returns with every series that goes by.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2923: Feb 02, 2024 05:55:35 pm

Yep without spoiling it for FL it's worth sticking with at least for three seasons. Season 1 and 2 are really good TV

American TV for you. Law of diminishing returns with every series that goes by.

It's why I love when a show finishes when it should and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Succession a recent example.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,419 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2924: Feb 02, 2024 06:09:18 pm
      Homeland is a strange case for me, it got a bit annoying but  getting rid of Damien Lewis's character helped it and it certainly picked up for me, unfortunately it lost a few along the way
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,419 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2925: Feb 02, 2024 06:14:24 pm
      Anyone on Masters of the Air?

Building up well and episode three today was brutal viewing at times.

May not quite hit the heights of Band of Brothers and The Pacific but it's been very good so far.

Agree, as a stand alone series it is really good, problem is those who compare it to band of brothers. It is just incredible what that generation had to endure for so long and despair for what is happening currently I, especially in eastern Europe and the middle East.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #2926: Feb 03, 2024 01:33:02 pm
      If anyone hasn't seen the three part documentary  about the miners strike on Channel 4, get it watched.

That 2nd programme about Orgreave shows the tactics that would be used by SYP after Hillsborough first being used by the cu*ts after Orgreave.

The arl dictating in the coppers notepads and learning how to misplace VHS tapes of police recordings/coverage.

No wonder Thatcher's storm troopers got away without any blame for almost 30 years.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2927: Feb 03, 2024 07:00:54 pm
      If anyone hasn't seen the three part documentary  about the miners strike on Channel 4, get it watched.

That 2nd programme about Orgreave shows the tactics that would be used by SYP after Hillsborough first being used by the cu*ts after Orgreave.

The arl dictating in the coppers notepads and learning how to misplace VHS tapes of police recordings/coverage.

No wonder Thatcher's storm troopers got away without any blame for almost 30 years.

Must add that to my watchlist
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2928: Feb 12, 2024 07:49:02 pm

Fantastic to watch how bad the police are, Tharchers stormtroops bas**rds the lot. A friend had a friend who was a copper had an extension built and called it the scargill lounge…….bas**rds
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #2929: Feb 12, 2024 08:17:45 pm
      All of Thatcher's reign was riddled with corruption and dishonesty. No matter who was in the cabinet, they were all complicit. It was an ideology of pure hatred, not just for the miners, but for the whole working class. It was never enough for them to socially marginalise us, they wanted us to suffer. Remember Whitelaw with his quasi military camp detentions..."Short, Sharp, Shock?.....Nasty,nasty, people.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #2930: Feb 12, 2024 08:42:04 pm
      2 series into Departure, standard run of your mill investigation type but entertaining nonetheless.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2931: Feb 12, 2024 11:47:17 pm
      Watched The Tourist. Not too bad, bit of a slow burn.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2932: Feb 15, 2024 12:19:11 am
      Watching Griselda on Netflix.

2 eps to go, can't stop watching.

Love the Narcos and cocaine in TV shows.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #2933: Feb 20, 2024 08:33:46 am
      Kin. Really really good two seasons gritty and some great characters 👌
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      Reply #2934: Feb 22, 2024 11:58:41 pm
      After postponing and postponing and not listening to mates, I got bored, could find nothing that interested me, so thought would give Suits a go and I F***ing love it. Nearly finished S2 and only started watching it 2 days ago.

I know you all probably hate her, but I can't stop thinking about having office sex with a Princess.  >:D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2935: Feb 23, 2024 02:46:20 pm
      Wrapped up Vigil. That was a really good show I thought. Love those Scottish accents.

Watching Warrior now on Netflix. Not too bad..it's keeping me interested for now.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2936: Feb 23, 2024 07:10:31 pm
      Got a Apple Tv+ and started watching Shrinking which features Jason Segal and Harrison Ford. If you are looking for a light hearted show with some laughs I would recommend it
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2937: Feb 23, 2024 07:52:38 pm
      Got a Apple Tv+ and started watching Shrinking which features Jason Segal and Harrison Ford. If you are looking for a light hearted show with some laughs I would recommend it

If you need some other stuff on Apple to watch...Ted Lasso, Criminal Record, Silo, Foundation and Slow Horses. Slow Horses is one of my favorite series in recent history, Gary Oldman is fantastic.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #2938: Mar 13, 2024 11:04:24 am

Decent show that, also brings out the emotional side when things break down between the 2 leads and their daughters, mostly on Segel's side when we're reminded with what happened to the wife.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #2939: Mar 13, 2024 11:07:55 am
      Reacher S2 -

Preferred it when the dude worked alone, this one has too much of a “let’s get together round a table for a group chat” (whilst talking as fast as humanly possible) feel to it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2940: Mar 13, 2024 01:55:08 pm
      Reacher S2 -

Preferred it when the dude worked alone, this one has too much of a “let’s get together round a table for a group chat” (whilst talking as fast as humanly possible) feel to it.

Had a lot of potential but it wasn't the slow burn that the first season was. Still like seeing him kick people's ass though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #2941: Mar 13, 2024 06:33:41 pm
      Reacher S2 -

It's one of the books later on in the series, but used as the TV's second season to show what Reacher actually did in the Army and the whole Special Investigators story.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      Reply #2942: Mar 13, 2024 10:16:09 pm
      Haven't stopped watching Suits.

Upto Season 7 episode 8
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #2943: Apr 03, 2024 03:21:18 pm
      Finished The Brothers Sun over the easter weekend.

An ok watch. Solid cast but I feel the directors missed a few opportunities to turn this into something bigger than it was, some scenes that could've gone in a different direction but seemed to opt to take the most simplistic exit.

Gives you the chance to learn more about new actors who you don't see on TV everyday.

Netflix were quick to say no to a 2nd series which they seem to be doing more and more often.

Quick Reply