Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309419 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Nov 16, 2011 03:50:17 pm
      I thought it could be a good idea to create a new thread for general discussion about TV series, so here it is. Sometimes I wanted to talk about a particular series but didn't think it was worth creating a new specific thread for it, so ended up not talking about it at all. If the mods think it's not necessary, then please feel free to move or lock it.

Well anyway, I'm starting to watch many different series at the moment. Since the end of LOST, no series have caught much of my attention so far, but I'm still looking for the special one which will replace LOST in my life :D.

The Walking Dead's 1st season looked promising but the drama on the 2nd is becoming really boring, I think. It's cool for all the zombies, but the characters are plain, annoying and stupid - quite the opposite of LOST, a series that had so many mysteries but it was the characters that made it so special IMO.

There's a new series called Hell on Wheels which takes place just after the end of the US Civil War. There's only 2 episodes so far, and I only watched the pilot. Looks promising but can't say much about it. Anyway I love the subject of the Civil War, the railroads and the US expansion to the west, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also interested in 2 other series, which I downloaded the first episodes but still haven't watched. They are Mad Men and Justified. Mad Men has won many Emmys in the last few years but I've heard mixed opinions about it - some say it's brilliant, some find it boring. As for Justified, heard about it a while ago and seemed to be just the kind of series I'd like. Anyone watch these?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2011 04:45:54 pm
      I started watching Mad Men on Netflix about 2 months ago. It is brilliant. The characters, especially Don Draper, are so incredibly frustrating, but are very well developed. I had to stop watching it for a bit as the lady wanted to catch up on Glee, but I can't wait to get back in to it.

But my new favorite show that I'm getting in to is Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first season on Netflix in a day and a half. It is amazing. Starting the second season tonight. That Geordie b***ard does a hell of a job playing Jacks, the main character. I highly recommend this show.

For another good straight through watch on Netflix, I recommend Friday Night Lights. Great ensemble cast. I also want to start watching Breaking Bad, but I'm scared of becoming addicted to ANOTHER show :D
      Bier
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2011 05:10:29 pm
      Agree Diego on The Walking Dead, unfortunately. Still watch it because zombies are fun, but not looking forward to it much anymore.

Game of Thrones is probably my favourite current series together with Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones first season just blew me away. And Boardwalk Empire's 2nd season has been alot better than the first to me. And Bryan Cranston is brilliant in Breaking Bad.

I really like Mad Men too. But that's a different type of series than the previous ones, it doesn't have the spectacle. It revolves more around the characters and the time it's set in. But the characters are really well written. There aren't the obvious good and bad people.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2011 05:47:20 pm
      Since I moved out again for college, I haven't been watching much.

Just watching The Good Wife online now  :couch:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2011 10:25:13 pm
      Agree Diego on The Walking Dead, unfortunately. Still watch it because zombies are fun, but not looking forward to it much anymore.

Game of Thrones is probably my favourite current series together with Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones first season just blew me away. And Boardwalk Empire's 2nd season has been alot better than the first to me. And Bryan Cranston is brilliant in Breaking Bad.

I really like Mad Men too. But that's a different type of series than the previous ones, it doesn't have the spectacle. It revolves more around the characters and the time it's set in. But the characters are really well written. There aren't the obvious good and bad people.

I decided to read the book Game of Thrones, so I won't watch it yet. I'm almost regreting this decision already, but I think I'll regret even more later if I don't read it.

I watched a bit of Breaking Bad's first season a while ago and thought it was good, can't remember why I stopped watching. How does it develop during the other seasons? Should I get back to it?

As for Boardwalk Empire, I watched just the pilot and it was brilliant. I would need to watch it again though, as there are so many different characters.

From what I've read about Mad Men, it seems to be a well made show but not one that you get really addicted to; it seems to be a bit slow too. I'll give it a shot later.

I started watching Mad Men on Netflix about 2 months ago. It is brilliant. The characters, especially Don Draper, are so incredibly frustrating, but are very well developed. I had to stop watching it for a bit as the lady wanted to catch up on Glee, but I can't wait to get back in to it.

But my new favorite show that I'm getting in to is Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first season on Netflix in a day and a half. It is amazing. Starting the second season tonight. That Geordie b***ard does a hell of a job playing Jacks, the main character. I highly recommend this show.

For another good straight through watch on Netflix, I recommend Friday Night Lights. Great ensemble cast. I also want to start watching Breaking Bad, but I'm scared of becoming addicted to ANOTHER show :D

Never heard of Sons of Anarchy and Friday Night Lights before, will take a look about them
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2011 10:41:20 pm
      I've never seen any of those shows mentioned above.

How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, CSI Miami and Simpsons are the one I watch at the moment.
      Bier
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2011 10:42:22 pm
      Breaking Bad's first season is the worst season out of all, it was cut short because of the writer's strike at the time. It gets better and better in the seasons after that.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2011 01:23:08 am
      Breaking Bad's first season is the worst season out of all, it was cut short because of the writer's strike at the time. It gets better and better in the seasons after that.

Sounds great then! Another one back on my list :)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2011 02:33:25 am
      Two that haven't been mentioned are Community and Blue Mountain State.  Both very funny.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2011 06:51:07 am
      Quote from Diego LFC
      I'm also interested in 2 other series, which I downloaded the first episodes but still haven't watched. They are Mad Men and Justified.

That's spooky, I was just talking to a colleague about Justified. I watched the first series when I had Sky and absolutely loved it. All I'll say is that when you get around to watching it, give it chance. I thought the first episode was ok but wasn't sure whether I liked the lead characters. As the series progresses, the characters develop, particularly the 'bad guys'.
      I haven't seen any of series 2 but the lad I was talking to is going to 'acquire' it for me so I'm looking forward to it.

He's also done me season 2 of Breaking Bad which I can't wait to watch after being so hooked on the first series.

If you like crime dramas, you could do worse than to get hold of Luther. I don't usually like British dramas, they tend to be low budget pap but this one was quality and there's two series' out now.

Finally, you should all watch the Martina Cole written mini-series The Take. It's like a gangster film spread over about 5 episodes and stars Tom Hardy (Bronson / Inception). It's pretty dark and totally gripping.

Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2011 10:17:46 am
      I watch a whole host of shows each week:

Modern Family, The Office, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural, The Apprentice (UK, US and Aussie), Survivor and The Ultimate Fighter.

Some of those are reality shows, I know.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2011 12:55:39 pm
      That's spooky, I was just talking to a colleague about Justified. I watched the first series when I had Sky and absolutely loved it. All I'll say is that when you get around to watching it, give it chance. I thought the first episode was ok but wasn't sure whether I liked the lead characters. As the series progresses, the characters develop, particularly the 'bad guys'.
      I haven't seen any of series 2 but the lad I was talking to is going to 'acquire' it for me so I'm looking forward to it.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and really liked it. I thought some stuff happened too fast in the 1st episode but that's understandable, as they need to 'sell' the idea of the series to potential viewers. Love the main character though. He's like a mix between Harry Callahan and The Man With No Name. Good to know that the other characters will be more developed in the next episodes, looking forward to it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2011 07:30:22 pm
      Apart from sport, I've not watched anything on TV for 18-24 months now.  I do however watch TV DVD Box sets.  I watch these in a random order, the only proviso is I won't watch 2 seasons/specials of the same series in a row.  Currently on my play list -

Dr Who - Halfway through David Tennant's first season as The Doctor
      Star Trek Deep Space 9  - Usually put all the Treks back into rotation every couple of years.
      Prisoner Cell Block H - Some great story lines, if not so great acting, sets and production value.  A cheesy pleasure of mine.
      Babylon 5 - Currently up tp season 5, had seen the odd episode here and there before.  Season 3 was a stunning arc.
      Curb Your Enthusiasm - Up to season 4 so far.  Uncomfortably funny at times.
      Only Fools & Horses - Got a few of the specials to go, next up is Fatal Extraction.
      The Sopranos - Haven't yet started watching and never seen a single episode before.  Hope it lives up to the hype.
      Farscape - Wrongly labelled as Muppets in Space, it's far better than that, with some great arcs, brilliant characters & is a wonderful visual treat.
      The Shield Season - Up to season 3, another show I'd never seen before. Brilliant, just brilliant.
      My Name Is Earl - Had seen the first two season, looking forward to finally catching the final two. 
      Being Human (complete as of this date) - Currently watching season 3, really enjoying it.

Apart from those, I've also collected over the years

Friends complete, it still holds up, though probably went a season or two too far.
      Angel complete, Lucky to get a 5th series, but ended on a high.
      Smallville 1-9, patchy in places but largely enjoyable.
      Stargate SG-1 Complete, hugely enjoyable romp.
      Transformers Complete 80's cartoon + film), a childhood favourite.
      KnightRider Complete, another childhood favourite, doesn't hold up very well.
      24 1-Redemption, liked them all so far.
      Alias Complete, season 5 lost me to be honest, but enjoyable if not essential viewing.
      'Allo 'Allo 1-7, possibly racist, definitely sexist, implausible character interaction. Still funny though.
      American Dad 1-3, more consistent than Family Guy, maybe not as funny.
      The A-team 1-2 - Holds up better than KnightRider, but not by much.  Opening titles still takes me back to Sunday afternoons with Tea & Crumpets.
      Battlestar Galactica Mini series - 2, season 2 started to lose me, enjoyed the finale, hope season 3 picks up a bit.
      Blackadder Complete, 1st series and special that bookend the series aren't great, but the filling seasons are great.
      Brasseye complete - A mockumentary series, some references and celebs are out of date, the series holds up though.
      Buffy The Vampire Slayer complete.  Still holds up, apart from season 1, which looks and feels a little off, when compared with the rest of the series.
      Charmed 1, never watched before, a friend recommended it, so picked up the first season.  Enjoyable, but a little show of the week.
      Chuck 1, I love this show, funny, great cast and a great premise.
      The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett brought too the small screen, one for Pratchett fans only though.
      CSI (1-6.1) Miami (1-5) New York (1-2), I like crime procedurals on the whole, New York has the characters I like the best, Miami, is at times, laughable. 
      The Day Today - Almost a prequel to Brasseye, very funny, though dated.
      Family Guy 1-7, hit and miss, from hilarious to meh.
      Father Ted complete. Didn't hold up as well as I remembered, but some brilliantly funny episodes and even segments of some not so funny episodes are brilliant. 
      Firefly - every time I watch it, I wonder how it was axed, superb characters, well written and acted.  Had so much more to offer.
      Futurama 1-4 - funny, but patchy.
      Heroes 1-2 - started so well, been told it lost its way.  Haven't seen it all yet, so can't judge.
      The Hogfather - Another Pratchett based special, better than The Colour of Magic.
      House 1-4, a medical crime procedural that's funny, poignant and has highly engaging characters. 
      Jonathan Creek complete - yet another crime procedural, don't think it has a bad episode, but has ones that aren't as good.
      King of the Hill 1-5, kind of complete, as that's all they released in the UK.  A gentle comedy, that I hugely enjoy.
      Life - Another crime procedural, only got 2 seasons, probably got lost amongst the plethora of cop shows.  Shame really, as it's very good.
      Life On Mars complete - Brilliant, just brilliant.
      Lois & Clark - Picked season 1 up in a charity shop for £3, enjoyed it.  Now, as I'm a completist when it comes to my DVD collection, I must complete the set.
      Millennium 1-2, never seen it before, season 1 is so dark, season 2 was not quite as dark and veered of into the bizarre and abstract at times.  Highly enjoyable though.
      Pysch 1-2 - One of the last things I ever watched on 'proper' TV, the BBC showed season 1, then nothing. 
      Quantum Leap 1-2, another childhood favourite and was a family favourite. Still enjoyable, if a little preachy at times.
      Red Dwarf (Complete so far)  - Seasons 2-6 are brilliant, 1, 7 & 8 have their moments, as does Back To Earth.  Awaiting season 10 with equal parts trepidation & anticipation.
      Scrubs 1-7 - Consistently funny, touches of drama and for me, it's the support cast that kept this show going.
      The Simpsons 1-5 - Enough said, though I have more than a few series to catch up on.
      Sliders 1-2 - Highly enjoyable even though I find the lead a tad annoying. 
      Supernatural 1-2 - Never watched before I picked up the season 1 DVD set, another great show, that manages to be both a monster of the week show whilst still carrying an on-going arc.
      That 70's Show 1 - Cheesy, funny and I've always had a thing for redheads is my excuse.
      Xena - Warrior Princess 1 - A friends recommendation, not so great so far, hope it gets better.  So many confusing sexual undertones and a definite sapphic feel at times.
      The X-Files 1, slowly replacing my VHS collection, which was ruined.  Season 1 is stunning though. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Nov 17, 2011 07:48:41 pm
      Apart from sport, I've not watched anything on TV for 18-24 months now.  I do however watch TV DVD Box sets.  I watch these in a random order, the only proviso is I won't watch 2 seasons/specials of the same series in a row.  Currently on my play list -

Dr Who - Halfway through David Tennant's first season as The Doctor
      Star Trek Deep Space 9  - Usually put all the Treks back into rotation every couple of years.
      Prisoner Cell Block H - Some great story lines, if not so great acting, sets and production value.  A cheesy pleasure of mine.
      Babylon 5 - Currently up tp season 5, had seen the odd episode here and there before.  Season 3 was a stunning arc.
      Curb Your Enthusiasm - Up to season 4 so far.  Uncomfortably funny at times.
      Only Fools & Horses - Got a few of the specials to go, next up is Fatal Extraction.
      The Sopranos - Haven't yet started watching and never seen a single episode before.  Hope it lives up to the hype.
      Farscape - Wrongly labelled as Muppets in Space, it's far better than that, with some great arcs, brilliant characters & is a wonderful visual treat.
      The Shield Season - Up to season 3, another show I'd never seen before. Brilliant, just brilliant.
      My Name Is Earl - Had seen the first two season, looking forward to finally catching the final two. 
      Being Human (complete as of this date) - Currently watching season 3, really enjoying it.

Apart from those, I've also collected over the years

Friends complete, it still holds up, though probably went a season or two too far.
      Angel complete, Lucky to get a 5th series, but ended on a high.
      Smallville 1-9, patchy in places but largely enjoyable.
      Stargate SG-1 Complete, hugely enjoyable romp.
      Transformers Complete 80's cartoon + film), a childhood favourite.
      KnightRider Complete, another childhood favourite, doesn't hold up very well.
      24 1-Redemption, liked them all so far.
      Alias Complete, season 5 lost me to be honest, but enjoyable if not essential viewing.
      'Allo 'Allo 1-7, possibly racist, definitely sexist, implausible character interaction. Still funny though.
      American Dad 1-3, more consistent than Family Guy, maybe not as funny.
      The A-team 1-2 - Holds up better than KnightRider, but not by much.  Opening titles still takes me back to Sunday afternoons with Tea & Crumpets.
      Battlestar Galactica Mini series - 2, season 2 started to lose me, enjoyed the finale, hope season 3 picks up a bit.
      Blackadder Complete, 1st series and special that bookend the series aren't great, but the filling seasons are great.
      Brasseye complete - A mockumentary series, some references and celebs are out of date, the series holds up though.
      Buffy The Vampire Slayer complete.  Still holds up, apart from season 1, which looks and feels a little off, when compared with the rest of the series.
      Charmed 1, never watched before, a friend recommended it, so picked up the first season.  Enjoyable, but a little show of the week.
      Chuck 1, I love this show, funny, great cast and a great premise.
      The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett brought too the small screen, one for Pratchett fans only though.
      CSI (1-6.1) Miami (1-5) New York (1-2), I like crime procedurals on the whole, New York has the characters I like the best, Miami, is at times, laughable. 
      The Day Today - Almost a prequel to Brasseye, very funny, though dated.
      Family Guy 1-7, hit and miss, from hilarious to meh.
      Father Ted complete. Didn't hold up as well as I remembered, but some brilliantly funny episodes and even segments of some not so funny episodes are brilliant. 
      Firefly - every time I watch it, I wonder how it was axed, superb characters, well written and acted.  Had so much more to offer.
      Futurama 1-4 - funny, but patchy.
      Heroes 1-2 - started so well, been told it lost its way.  Haven't seen it all yet, so can't judge.
      The Hogfather - Another Pratchett based special, better than The Colour of Magic.
      House 1-4, a medical crime procedural that's funny, poignant and has highly engaging characters. 
      Jonathan Creek complete - yet another crime procedural, don't think it has a bad episode, but has ones that aren't as good.
      King of the Hill 1-5, kind of complete, as that's all they released in the UK.  A gentle comedy, that I hugely enjoy.
      Life - Another crime procedural, only got 2 seasons, probably got lost amongst the plethora of cop shows.  Shame really, as it's very good.
      Life On Mars complete - Brilliant, just brilliant.
      Lois & Clark - Picked season 1 up in a charity shop for £3, enjoyed it.  Now, as I'm a completist when it comes to my DVD collection, I must complete the set.
      Millennium 1-2, never seen it before, season 1 is so dark, season 2 was not quite as dark and veered of into the bizarre and abstract at times.  Highly enjoyable though.
      Pysch 1-2 - One of the last things I ever watched on 'proper' TV, the BBC showed season 1, then nothing. 
      Quantum Leap 1-2, another childhood favourite and was a family favourite. Still enjoyable, if a little preachy at times.
      Red Dwarf (Complete so far)  - Seasons 2-6 are brilliant, 1, 7 & 8 have their moments, as does Back To Earth.  Awaiting season 10 with equal parts trepidation & anticipation.
      Scrubs 1-7 - Consistently funny, touches of drama and for me, it's the support cast that kept this show going.
      The Simpsons 1-5 - Enough said, though I have more than a few series to catch up on.
      Sliders 1-2 - Highly enjoyable even though I find the lead a tad annoying. 
      Supernatural 1-2 - Never watched before I picked up the season 1 DVD set, another great show, that manages to be both a monster of the week show whilst still carrying an on-going arc.
      That 70's Show 1 - Cheesy, funny and I've always had a thing for redheads is my excuse.
      Xena - Warrior Princess 1 - A friends recommendation, not so great so far, hope it gets better.  So many confusing sexual undertones and a definite sapphic feel at times.
      The X-Files 1, slowly replacing my VHS collection, which was ruined.  Season 1 is stunning though. 

Wow :D Great collection

Thanks for reminding me of The Sopranos, I remember watching the odd episode when they were still making new episodes and I occasionally caught them on tv, but never watched it completely. Almost everyone speak so highly of this show and I liked what I saw. It could be a good idea to give it a try.

Talking about older series, has anyone ever watched Twin Peaks, by David Lynch?
      Bier
      Reply #14: Nov 17, 2011 08:25:09 pm
      Yeah, good series that Diego. I used to watch it with my mum when I was a kid, she loved it and it creeped me out mostly. His movies are weird too, but strangely intrigueing.

I actually watched the first episode of American Horror Story last week, and the eeriness reminded me a bit of Twin Peaks. I haven't decided yet if I like it enough though.

American Horror Story Trailer, Starts on November 7th at 10pm on FX

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15: Nov 17, 2011 08:31:10 pm
      I think calling his movies 'weird' is an understatement! :D Mulholland Drive is crazy, I've watched it twice and I'm still not sure if I really understood it. I hear great things about Twin Peaks though.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #16: Nov 17, 2011 08:49:17 pm
      Currently watching Boardwalk Empire, Terra Nova, Misfits and Glee :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Nov 17, 2011 09:04:05 pm
      Apart from Liverpool and Motorsport I've not watched mutch TV lately.
      Will have to rectify that when race season ends.
      Right now I watch CSI and SVU.
      Occasionally I'll watch HIMYM or The Big Bang
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Nov 17, 2011 09:38:40 pm
      Good idea for a thread Diego!

We're watching a few shows atm including Gray's Anatomy, I'm Not Really a Celeb, X Factor, Baby Apprentice and occasionally CSI: Miami/Las Vegas, addicted to One Tree Hill (keeping up with the states on that, can't believe they have just finished filming the final season :'() we also enjoy watching the comedy shows such as Celebrity Juice, League of Their Own, Idiot Abroad.

Some classic shows in your selection Rodden, I used to enjoy watching Buffy and Knight Rider, Friends, A-Team cult classic Simpsons!, X-Files omg my sister has the entire back catalog of that show, including any other film/feature Gillian Anderson or David Duchovny have been in!  (did you know Duchovny is married to Tea Leone, out of Bad Boys fame? or more recently Tower Heist)

MsGerrard
      Reply #19: Nov 17, 2011 09:39:51 pm
      My favourite series has just ended - Downton Abbey, I LOVED it, also very much enjoying the Frozen Planet.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #20: Nov 17, 2011 09:45:32 pm
      My favourite series has just ended - Downton Abbey, I LOVED it, also very much enjoying the Frozen Planet.

Never saw Downton abbey, looked a bit too old style for me! ha ha
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2011 09:52:43 pm
      Never saw Downton abbey, looked a bit too old style for me! ha ha

Not so Andy, my 18 year old son loved it  :laugh:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2011 10:02:11 pm