Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309429 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #115: Feb 22, 2012 08:37:12 am
      To anyone just now watching Lost....I hate to say this but I watched the entire season as it was aired and the finale was a huge let down to me. In fact the series was a huge let down once I saw how it ended.

Just a friendly warning ;)

Not really fair to put that as people are still watching it mate.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #116: Feb 22, 2012 10:01:58 am
      Not really fair to put that as people are still watching it mate.
      To be fair to FL, it is regarded as one of the greatest anti-climaxes in TV history so hardly a secret. At least he didn't say what actually happens.
      Personally I was gripped by the first series and me and a colleague would talk about it before and after each episode. I watched half of the second series but eventually tired of the way nothing ever got answered, it just threw up more and more questions. I stopped watching and when I heard how it actually ended, I was glad I hadn't wasted any more time on it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #117: Feb 22, 2012 10:04:40 am
      Top be fair to FL, it is regarded as one of the greatest anti-climaxes in TV history so hardly a secret. At least he didn't say what actually happens.
      Personally I was gripped by the first series and me and a colleague would talk about it before and after each episode. I watched half of the second series but eventually tired of the way nothing ever got answered, it just threw up more and more questions. I stopped watching and when I heard how it actually ended, I was glad I hadn't wasted any more time on it.

Fair enough, i wasnt really having a go Rep, i just meant its possible that some dont know how it ends and are watching for the first time through, it may ruin their enjoyment.

The above for Homeland is kind of putting me off wasting my time because people have said its poor after the first 6-7 episodes...Its still sat on the planner wondering if i should give it time now..

No worries, wasnt having a go like.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #118: Feb 22, 2012 10:17:27 am
      I can wholly understand people disliking the way Lost ended and some of the plot developments the show took.  There is no doubt in my mind the vast majority of the plot and mysteries were made up as the writers went along.  However, I think a lot of people misunderstood the ending and dislike it for the wrong reasons.  Not saying everybody who hated it misunderstood it, as mentioned, I can understand why a lot of people felt let down by the finale.  And I can't really go into explaining why people misunderstood it as it would spoil the ending for those that haven't seen it yet.

For me, Lost was a journey about the characters and I loved everything about it.  The finale was a perfect ending for me and the journey is now complete.  I will probably never watch it again.  I find the people that watched Lost for its story and mysteries are the ones that were let down by the finale and those that loved the characters ultimately, loved the ending.

The show is definitely not for everybody and does require a lot of time, effort and perseverance to fully enjoy it.  For me, there is no show that will ever captivate the imagination like Lost did and there'll never be a show like it.

The above for Homeland is kind of putting me off wasting my time because people have said its poor after the first 6-7 episodes...Its still sat on the planner wondering if i should give it time now..

Watch it for yourself mate.  Homeland has won a load of awards in the US this year and is widely regarded as the best new show to air, and one of the best on TV at the minute. ;)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #119: Feb 22, 2012 10:20:25 am
      I can wholly understand people disliking the way Lost ended and some of the plot developments the show took.  There is no doubt in my mind the vast majority of the plot and mysteries were made up as the writers went along.  However, I think a lot of people misunderstood the ending and dislike it for the wrong reasons.  Not saying everybody who hated it misunderstood it, as mentioned, I can understand why a lot of people felt let down by the finale.  And I can't really go into explaining why people misunderstood it as it would spoil the ending for those that haven't seen it yet.

For me, Lost was a journey about the characters and I loved everything about it.  The finale was a perfect ending for me and the journey is now complete.  I will probably never watch it again.  I find the people that watched Lost for its story and mysteries are the ones that were let down by the finale and those that loved the characters ultimately, loved the ending.

The show is definitely not for everybody and does require a lot of time, effort and perseverance to fully enjoy it.  For me, there is no show that will ever captivate the imagination like Lost did and there'll never be a show like it.

Id agree with all that by the way mate, i feel the ending gets too much bad write ups, they insisted all along it was a character based show and the finale showed that.

It was maybe not what i expected but i didnt not enjoy it.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #120: Feb 27, 2012 04:45:30 pm
      Don't watch a lot of series, but I have seen a few.

More or less every Simpsons episode ever
      Family Guy 1 & 2
      Survivor (US reality show) 1, 2, 3, 4 & 19. Currently watching S5 on YouTube.
      Prison Break (all series) 2nd series was my favourite, followed by the 1st, then 4th and 3rd.
      Lost - currently on 2nd series, absolutely loving it but as some have mentioned can't really warm to what seems to be the two main characters. Sawyer is phenomenal.
      The Inbetweeners - All 3 series plus the movie, an absolute must watch if you're after raw comedy.
      An Idiot Abroad - both series
      My Name Is Earl - a few episodes here and there, must get the box set

I think that's about it. Have got a long way to go in Lost yet but when that's over I'll probably move on to FNL or Entourage as many have suggested.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #121: Feb 27, 2012 05:14:51 pm
      The new drama Homeland that people were talking about on the last page is a great show from what I've seen thus far. Interesting plot, well acted and directed.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #122: Feb 29, 2012 05:14:09 pm
      Nearing the end of Season 5 on Lost now, Jack and Kate, officially the two worst characters of any show I have ever seen.. I cringe when they are on the screen.. other than that, loving it :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #123: Feb 29, 2012 11:59:16 pm
      Watching Prisoner: Cell Block H on DVD.  Good story lines if you take into account it's 30 years old, wobbly sets, the acting is variable and it's fun spotting the future Neighbours/Home & Away stars.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #124: Mar 01, 2012 09:21:05 am
      Watching Prisoner: Cell Block H on DVD.  Good story lines if you take into account it's 30 years old, wobbly sets, the acting is variable and it's fun spotting the future Neighbours/Home & Away stars.

Now that is officially under "You have too much time on your hands Rodders lad"  :D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #125: Mar 01, 2012 09:24:14 am
      Nearing the end of Season 5 on Lost now, Jack and Kate, officially the two worst characters of any show I have ever seen.. I cringe when they are on the screen.. other than that, loving it :D

I never got the big hate towards them, they were never my favorite Characters by a long stretch but i didnt hate them.

My personal favorites on the show were Locke, Ben and Desmond.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #126: Mar 12, 2012 09:50:10 pm
      Desmond! Oh how much I liked that guy.

Sawyer, Lock and Hurley were big favorites as well. I miss Lost so much!

This thread reminded me that I haven't watched any Alcatraz yet, will do soon!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #127: Mar 12, 2012 09:59:29 pm
      Used to love Sawyers one line stuff... Some of it was great..
      Hurley was very likeable.

But Desmond's character just kept me hooked.... So much mystery around him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #128: Mar 12, 2012 10:04:46 pm
      Totally agree. And that episode in which he travels in time - possibly the best of all.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #129: Mar 12, 2012 10:05:49 pm
      Totally agree. And that episode in which he travels in time - possibly the best of all.

The constant I think it was called... Yes one of the best in the whole show.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #130: Mar 12, 2012 10:10:57 pm
      I am going to get back into my boxset of The Wire.

Season 1 was superb and apparantly it gets better by the series.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #131: Mar 12, 2012 10:12:50 pm
      I am going to get back into my boxset of The Wire.

Season 1 was superb and apparantly it gets better by the series.

I really liked that, once you got familiar with the characters it was such a good watch.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #132: Mar 12, 2012 10:36:04 pm
      I forget the guy's name from Sheffield (I think) who plays Mcnulty but he also played Fred West in a programme last year and made a superb job of it.

Strange that Stringer Bell, who is a drug lord in the series is English also and plays the part of Luther in the BBC series.

EDIT:  :roll: What a F***ing waffle that was. Talk about boring a glass eye to sleep.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #133: Mar 13, 2012 02:47:12 pm
      I forget the guy's name from Sheffield (I think) who plays Mcnulty but he also played Fred West in a programme last year and made a superb job of it.

Strange that Stringer Bell, who is a drug lord in the series is English also and plays the part of Luther in the BBC series.

EDIT:  :roll: What a f**king waffle that was. Talk about boring a glass eye to sleep.

Dominic West is the guy who plays Mcnulty.
      I actually quite liked Luther as well, but maybe more for him being in it...

There you go for anyone who needs a midday nap...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #134: Mar 13, 2012 03:05:39 pm
      Dominic West is the guy who plays Mcnulty.
      I actually quite liked Luther as well, but maybe more for him being in it...

Idris Elba is the guy who plays Stringer Bell and Luther.

His first acting job was on the awful Family Affairs on Channel 5!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #135: Mar 13, 2012 03:07:43 pm
      Idris Elba is the guy who plays Stringer Bell and Luther.

His first acting job was on the awful Family Affairs on Channel 5!

Family Affairs? That's one I've not seen... You sell it well though  :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #136: Mar 13, 2012 03:08:35 pm
      Family Affairs? That's one I've not seen... You sell it well though  :D

IMDB ha ha

Also been in and will be in a fair few movies coming out soon.

Boss actor.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #137: Mar 13, 2012 03:09:50 pm
      IMDB ha ha

Also been in and will be in a fair few movies coming out soon.

Boss actor.

He is very good... Thought he was tremendous as Stringer Bell and Luther.

Quick Reply