Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309455 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #2392: May 14, 2019 09:03:48 pm
      I was all for her descent in to madness but it needed more time and character development to make her turn to the dark side believable it was all incredibly rushed for an 8 season show.

Look at how expertly paced the last season of Breaking Bad is in comparison, you fully believe and understand all of the characters motivations at the end.

Same here mate, I’ve got no problem her turning into a mad women but this should have taken another couple of episodes to build towards. This was right up there with Skywalker turning into Vader. Really disappointed with it, the only bit I enjoyed was the hounds scrap with his brother and his farewell to Arya which was excellent
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2393: May 17, 2019 02:00:45 pm
      One of the great satire novels, has been adapted for TV in a 6 part series.
      If they've got it right, it will be brilliant.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/16/catch-22-review-george-clooneys-dizzying-daring-triumph
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2394: May 20, 2019 08:12:04 am
      One of the great satire novels, has been adapted for TV in a 6 part series.
      If they've got it right, it will be brilliant.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/16/catch-22-review-george-clooneys-dizzying-daring-triumph

Gorgeous george clooney is the man behind it. Saw a clip the other night, have high hopes for it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2395: May 20, 2019 08:13:01 am
      Had a tough choice this morning , dragons or duvet. Duvet won hands down, will watch later.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2396: May 20, 2019 02:09:17 pm
      Gorgeous george clooney is the man behind it. Saw a clip the other night, have high hopes for it.

The article was pretty flattering, so hopefully it's better than the film was.
      It's going to be pretty difficult to capture the humour that runs through the book, but a 6 part adaptation has to have a better chance than the film did.

Major Major Major Major, is still the funniest explanation of how a character was named tht I've read.
      It's not often I laugh out loud at a book, but I did a lot of it reading this one.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2397: May 20, 2019 11:48:45 pm
      Had a tough choice this morning , dragons or duvet. Duvet won hands down, will watch later.

Duvet was a good shout.

Garbage finale to a poor final season with the exception of episode 3.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2398: May 21, 2019 09:15:23 am
      Poor finale to GOT the only redeeming scene was Jon’s dire wolf eventually got a hug.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2399: May 21, 2019 09:30:25 am
      Thought it was nowhere near as bad as some on here are saying.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2400: May 21, 2019 11:39:36 am
      Thought it was nowhere near as bad as some on here are saying.

SPOILER (Tap to show)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2401: May 21, 2019 12:05:52 pm
      George Martin was fully involved in writing the ending with the writers of the show

When he does the books the ending will be the same , the battles will be the same just will have a lot more meat on it as you expect from the books

I thought the ending was perfect

SPOILER (Tap to show)
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2019 12:35:09 pm by racerx34 »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2402: May 21, 2019 07:49:40 pm
      George Martin was fully involved in writing the ending with the writers of the show

When he does the books the ending will be the same , the battles will be the same just will have a lot more meat on it as you expect from the books

SPOILER (Tap to show)

Yes it was nice and calm and bland and boring and basically a shadow of the great show it once was.

I literally felt nothing for a single character in their final scenes as I was numb from the monotony of the whole episode. The F***ing CGI dragon rendered the only tiny bit of emotion in a scene that didn't even make any sense.

Anyway it's done now.

GRR has already announced after the finale that his ending will be different to the show which I find both hilarious and clever. It guarantees they will be massive sellers as everyone will want to read and visualise how the last two seasons should have went down.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #2403: May 22, 2019 11:05:25 am

SPOILER (Tap to show)

It was no where near perfect. How can you call something perfect, when it does not have substantial backbone to stand on?

I mean all the plot points were rushed as f**k.

SPOILER (Tap to show)

This may very well be Martin's ending, but I doubt he was "heavily" involved with it. As far as I have read, he just told them the basic plot points, and rest of it was up to D and D to make it a logical progression( which they failed massively). Too bad, the first 5 seasons of an incredible TV show got butchered by incompetent writing. Think they fu**ed up when they gave more preference to spectacle than logic.

The difference between the earlier season and later seasons is night and day, such a shame.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2404: May 22, 2019 11:53:52 am

SPOILER (Tap to show)

Martin effectively stopped working on the show around season 5, coincidentally (or not) when the drop off in quality first started. He's listed as a producer but doesn't have much involvement anymore.

Echo the comments on here re the ending. Broad strokes that'll be the end to the books too, with the exception of some major side characters (some of which are only given screen time because of ratings - looking at you Bronn...), the whole issue is just how rushed it is.

If the season is rushed, so is every episode, and the dialogue and writing suffer. It was all very flat.

The show's been a victim of its own popularity, and D&D seemed to be operating under the mantra "if it looks cool it doesn't have to make sense."

Hopefully Martin can release the books and we can get the ending fleshed out properly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2405: May 22, 2019 01:31:27 pm
      I never really watched the show at all. Caught a couple of episodes here and there over the years when I traveled and had HBO in my hotel rooms. I will say that I did watch a couple of shows from Season 7 on a flight recently so it peaked my interest and I read some backstory on the plot lines and characters and such. I watched Episode 5 (The Bells) and I watched the finale. I obviously don't have the knowledge of all of the intricate plot lines over the last 10 or whatever years it's been, but as somewhat of an outsider, I thought the finale was weak and pretty stale to be honest. If I had to compare it to something, I'd compare it to Lost. Lost was a show that sucked you in and had you asking all of these interesting questions, only for the writers to basically take a vacation and finish it up as if they were on a deadline and didn't have time to tie everything up. I watched the finale of GOT because I thought I might try and go back and watch it all, but after seeing how it all ended, I think I'll pass. Glad I never paid for HBO!

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2406: May 22, 2019 03:52:30 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2407: May 26, 2019 03:54:56 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #2408: May 28, 2019 10:53:54 pm
      Chernobyl, what a harrowing episode.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2409: May 29, 2019 06:03:33 am

Brilliant isn't it? I listen to a podcast (Scriptnotes) which is a regular pod with Craig Mazin and John August. Mazin wrote Hangover 2, Identity Thief etc etc but broke with his usual trend by writing Chernobyl, and it's brilliant. Been fun listening to the pod and hearing him talk about little snippets of the process over the last couple years. Gotta watch the latest episode after work and then 8 Ball tonight, so making sure not to get too drunk at 8 Ball that I can't appreciate it and have to watch it again :D

Sidenote: Who knows how long it'll last with the test of time, but Chernobyl is currently the highest rated TV show by IMDB score in history. Scores, Tomato-meters etc are all to be taken with a grain of salt for me, but it is an indicator - particularly with TV shows. Cool little fact of the moment.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2410: May 29, 2019 12:49:03 pm
      Really looking forward to the Deep Space 9 documentary hitting the cinemas next month. My favourite series in the Trek franchise.

LLAP
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2411: May 29, 2019 05:47:47 pm
      Loving Killing Eve season 2 so far.

Jodie Comer is pure gold.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2412: Jun 01, 2019 12:56:54 pm

Need to see last weeks episode when I get back off holiday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2413: Jun 08, 2019 12:25:05 am
      Thought I would look into the hype of Chernobyl and yeah the first two episodes have been good.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2414: Jun 08, 2019 07:32:04 am
      Started season 4 of Billions.

Good first episode and excited for the rest.

Quick Reply