Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer

Read 17525 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer
      Nov 24, 2011 10:12:46 am
      Goal-line  technology could be used as early as next season, according to the FA.

The general secretary of the FA Alex Horne, told the BBC that if one or more of the systems currently being tested is practical then the laws governing football will change.

"I think goal line technology would be a huge boost for the game, for years we've thought this would be a good addition to referee's armoury.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15866363.stm[url/]

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2011 10:34:28 am
      There is still one small obstacle in the implementation of goal line technology. It's called FIFA.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2011 11:21:33 am
      And he who must not be named.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2011 11:52:46 am

He'll go along with anything to try and restore his reputation in the game, to hang onto the position he is holding onto by the skin of his teeth at the moment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2011 06:32:25 pm
      There is still one small obstacle in the implementation of goal line technology. It's called FIFA.
      FIFA or Blatter to be precise has lost all credibility and maybe he will be agreeable to the much needed technology in order to hang on to his job - hopefully it's a case of too little too late.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2011 06:44:03 pm

Has he not brainwashed you? He is FIFA, only he can change stuff. He is a one man army.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2011 07:10:22 am
       I am not against the technology coming in as long it does not go like the system used in Rugby League where the ref goes upstairs and the game is stopped while the tv ref scans the play to see what decision to make.As our Aussie mates will tell you sometimes the ref upstairs will hand the decision back to the match ref and he will decide something he could not decide when he handed it upstairs.Also I can see time to be added on could be a manipulation some managers could impose on refs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2011 09:10:31 am
      I am not against the technology coming in as long it does not go like the system used in Rugby League where the ref goes upstairs and the game is stopped while the tv ref scans the play to see what decision to make.As our Aussie mates will tell you sometimes the ref upstairs will hand the decision back to the match ref and he will decide something he could not decide when he handed it upstairs.Also I can see time to be added on could be a manipulation some managers could impose on refs.
      The ideal system Billy would be used only for specific incidents in the penalty area that have a direct bearing on the game, other decisions for instance violent conduct in other areas of play, if not observed at the time could be judged retrospectively and the appropriate penalty applied.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2011 09:21:44 am
      The ideal system Billy would be used only for specific incidents in the penalty area that have a direct bearing on the game, other decisions for instance violent conduct in other areas of play, if not observed at the time could be judged retrospectively and the appropriate penalty applied.
      I could go with that stuey,as i say my only concern would be if it turned into a circus like happens i Rugby League from time to time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2011 10:23:00 am
      As a huge Rugby league fan, I cannot believe that football hasn't woken up yet, especially in a sport where the referee is always to blame when your team loses.

I mean in rugby we just get on with a bad call, players don't argue with the referee at all, managers rarely question them, yet we still have a system in place to make sure the right decision is made. Trust me, it is worth the 30 seconds it takes (it would take less in football because there will be no grey areas, it's either over the line or not) to get the right decision, especially when so much money is riding on the outcome.

One bad thing about the video referee in rugby is that the video referee is only at live televised games. So Sunday 3pm kick offs do not have the video ref there, and the on field ref is on his own. The problem here being is that the big teams are on tele a lot more than the small ones, and therefore have the benefit (or perhaps the disadvantage) of having the Video Ref for most of their games so tries that would be awareded at 3pm are not awarded at 8pm and vice versa, so some fans reckon the league is played at a disadvantage.

I'd guess in football they would be at every ground in the premiership, but what about the football league, at what level will the FA decide that the teams are too sh*t to warrant the bother?

One thing is clear to me though, at big tournaments where every game is televised live such as the World Cup, the Euros, the Africa Cup of Nations, COPA America etc... there is no reason or excuse for teams to not be awarded a goal if they score. Certainly not in 2011 anyway.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2011 02:14:56 pm
      Common sense dictates that it must be introduced, that statement of course excludes Sepp Blatter or FIFA as it is more commonly known, apparently goal line technology and scanning the penalty area is not as formidably expensive as it was once thought and the money lost to a club by a faulty decision makes the technology imperative
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Nov 25, 2011 02:20:50 pm
      Don't see any reason why we don't use the technology when we can afford it. Its for the good of the game to settle the dispute.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Nov 25, 2011 02:57:39 pm
      I think it should be introduced.

Was it Platini or Blatter who said he wants to keep the game just by using humans without technology?

I don't mind having technology or not but it's simply amazing when a goal is given even if it crossed the line but outside the goal! I think it was one of the Championship games where the ball crossed the line outside the post and a goal was given. That was a simply decision to be made by man and yet it was wrong from both referee and linesman perhaps.

And of course it will also reduce incidents where ball has crossed the line but goal not given.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #13: Nov 25, 2011 03:04:33 pm
      To be honest I don't really get all why every body is arguing about. How many goals are not given?Not that many. May be because it's because my team hasn't been affected by it I don't  care.

Luis goal in 2005 v  Chelsea that would have taken ages to decide. Would that have been given?Fat Franks for England was F***ing hilarious (maybe because I'm not English, Ok defiantly) and the Tottenham V the Mancs one with Carrol pulling it back was just quick thinking by the 'keeper and if you can get away with it why not.

My personal feeling is that there's a lot more important things to sort out in football than this.

I dose show the agrance of the FA for me thought that they have to have a 'new' idea that needs to be tested. Ice hockey has had a very simple solution for a long time. If the puck goes in a light goes on. Simple.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Nov 25, 2011 03:14:08 pm
      Pretty sure if FIFA get in the way of this, then that will be the last straw.

The FA and all other Football Associations have already threatened a split from FIFA, thus rendering them powerless to stop any decisions.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #15: Nov 25, 2011 03:25:56 pm
      Pretty sure if FIFA get in the way of this, then that will be the last straw.

The FA and all other Football Associations have already threatened a split from FIFA, thus rendering them powerless to stop any decisions.

They wouldn't need FIFAs ok would they? FIFA would only need to ok it being used in internationals. In the different leagues FIFA have no say.

If it was being used successfully in the major leagues, the advertisers and the representatives would force FIFA to change there stance.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16: Nov 25, 2011 03:55:12 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15871146.stm

The general secretary of the FA Alex Horne has said he hopes GLT will be implemented in time for the 2012-13 season.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2012 09:53:51 am
      FA 'heartened' by technology
      The Football Association has told Sky Sports they are 'heartened' that goal-line technology testing is in its final stages.

The FA has long been in favour of bringing in the new technology to help with crucial decisions.

The whole issue again came to the fore over the weekend when Chelsea were awarded a goal against Tottenham, which replays showed should not have stood.

Goal-line technology would have meant Juan Mata's goal at Wembley not being allowed, with the issue being investigated by FIFA. The FA is a firm supporter of using such technology.

The final phase of goal-line technology tests will begin later this month before football's rule-makers make a definitive decision in July, FIFA announced on Sunday after the Mata controversy.

The International Football Association Board, the game's rule-making body, last month approved two systems to go into a second round of testing in match scenarios before either can be sanctioned for use in competitive fixtures at a meeting on July 2.

"The FA has been consistent supporters of the introduction of goal-line technology for over a decade," an FA spokesman told Sky Sports.

"We are heartened that we are now in the final stages of testing with IFAB due to take a final decision on 2 July."

IFAB must be satisfied with the speed and accuracy of Hawk-Eye or GoalRef before high-tech aids for referees can be deployed in football for the first time.

Sony Corp's Hawk-Eye is a camera-based ball-tracking system successfully deployed in tennis and cricket. GoalRef, owned by a German-Danish company, uses a magnetic field with a special ball.

Both systems send a signal within a second of the ball crossing the line to the referee, who will retain the power to make the final call.
      http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7676829/FA-heartened-by-technology
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2012 10:25:25 am
      It's laughable how they want to keep technology off the field but can't even get simple decisions right.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2012 11:33:23 am
      If both systems are 100% accurate and can inform the ref within one second, then they should bring it in next season.

So long as we don't start having time outs or appeals that take an eternity to be judged by a video ref, I'm happy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Apr 16, 2012 11:40:25 am
      It's laughable how they want to keep technology off the field but can't even get simple decisions right.
      What's even more laughable Ad is the fact that it states the FA are in favour of GL technology when all they have done from day 1 is obstruct it's implementation, all they are doing now is bowing to the inevitable.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #21: Apr 16, 2012 11:47:31 am
      What's even more laughable Ad is the fact that it states the FA are in favour of GL technology when all they have done from day 1 is obstruct it's implementation, all they are doing now is bowing to the inevitable.

Goal line tech won't make FIFA any money, so there's the reason for lack of haste.

Also, it'll affect decisions given at old toilet and that can't be a good thing can it?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Apr 16, 2012 12:25:31 pm
      Also, it'll affect decisions given at old toilet and that can't be a good thing can it?
      Two words.

'Technical Difficulties'

Quick Reply