Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer

Read 17557 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer
      Nov 24, 2011 10:12:46 am
      Goal-line  technology could be used as early as next season, according to the FA.

The general secretary of the FA Alex Horne, told the BBC that if one or more of the systems currently being tested is practical then the laws governing football will change.

"I think goal line technology would be a huge boost for the game, for years we've thought this would be a good addition to referee's armoury.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15866363.stm[url/]

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2011 10:34:28 am
      There is still one small obstacle in the implementation of goal line technology. It's called FIFA.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2011 11:21:33 am
      And he who must not be named.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2011 11:52:46 am

He'll go along with anything to try and restore his reputation in the game, to hang onto the position he is holding onto by the skin of his teeth at the moment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2011 06:32:25 pm
      There is still one small obstacle in the implementation of goal line technology. It's called FIFA.
      FIFA or Blatter to be precise has lost all credibility and maybe he will be agreeable to the much needed technology in order to hang on to his job - hopefully it's a case of too little too late.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2011 06:44:03 pm

Has he not brainwashed you? He is FIFA, only he can change stuff. He is a one man army.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2011 07:10:22 am
       I am not against the technology coming in as long it does not go like the system used in Rugby League where the ref goes upstairs and the game is stopped while the tv ref scans the play to see what decision to make.As our Aussie mates will tell you sometimes the ref upstairs will hand the decision back to the match ref and he will decide something he could not decide when he handed it upstairs.Also I can see time to be added on could be a manipulation some managers could impose on refs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2011 09:10:31 am
      I am not against the technology coming in as long it does not go like the system used in Rugby League where the ref goes upstairs and the game is stopped while the tv ref scans the play to see what decision to make.As our Aussie mates will tell you sometimes the ref upstairs will hand the decision back to the match ref and he will decide something he could not decide when he handed it upstairs.Also I can see time to be added on could be a manipulation some managers could impose on refs.
      The ideal system Billy would be used only for specific incidents in the penalty area that have a direct bearing on the game, other decisions for instance violent conduct in other areas of play, if not observed at the time could be judged retrospectively and the appropriate penalty applied.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2011 09:21:44 am
      The ideal system Billy would be used only for specific incidents in the penalty area that have a direct bearing on the game, other decisions for instance violent conduct in other areas of play, if not observed at the time could be judged retrospectively and the appropriate penalty applied.
      I could go with that stuey,as i say my only concern would be if it turned into a circus like happens i Rugby League from time to time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2011 10:23:00 am
      As a huge Rugby league fan, I cannot believe that football hasn't woken up yet, especially in a sport where the referee is always to blame when your team loses.

I mean in rugby we just get on with a bad call, players don't argue with the referee at all, managers rarely question them, yet we still have a system in place to make sure the right decision is made. Trust me, it is worth the 30 seconds it takes (it would take less in football because there will be no grey areas, it's either over the line or not) to get the right decision, especially when so much money is riding on the outcome.

One bad thing about the video referee in rugby is that the video referee is only at live televised games. So Sunday 3pm kick offs do not have the video ref there, and the on field ref is on his own. The problem here being is that the big teams are on tele a lot more than the small ones, and therefore have the benefit (or perhaps the disadvantage) of having the Video Ref for most of their games so tries that would be awareded at 3pm are not awarded at 8pm and vice versa, so some fans reckon the league is played at a disadvantage.

I'd guess in football they would be at every ground in the premiership, but what about the football league, at what level will the FA decide that the teams are too sh*t to warrant the bother?

One thing is clear to me though, at big tournaments where every game is televised live such as the World Cup, the Euros, the Africa Cup of Nations, COPA America etc... there is no reason or excuse for teams to not be awarded a goal if they score. Certainly not in 2011 anyway.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2011 02:14:56 pm
      Common sense dictates that it must be introduced, that statement of course excludes Sepp Blatter or FIFA as it is more commonly known, apparently goal line technology and scanning the penalty area is not as formidably expensive as it was once thought and the money lost to a club by a faulty decision makes the technology imperative
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Nov 25, 2011 02:20:50 pm
      Don't see any reason why we don't use the technology when we can afford it. Its for the good of the game to settle the dispute.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Nov 25, 2011 02:57:39 pm
      I think it should be introduced.

Was it Platini or Blatter who said he wants to keep the game just by using humans without technology?

I don't mind having technology or not but it's simply amazing when a goal is given even if it crossed the line but outside the goal! I think it was one of the Championship games where the ball crossed the line outside the post and a goal was given. That was a simply decision to be made by man and yet it was wrong from both referee and linesman perhaps.

And of course it will also reduce incidents where ball has crossed the line but goal not given.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #13: Nov 25, 2011 03:04:33 pm
      To be honest I don't really get all why every body is arguing about. How many goals are not given?Not that many. May be because it's because my team hasn't been affected by it I don't  care.

Luis goal in 2005 v  Chelsea that would have taken ages to decide. Would that have been given?Fat Franks for England was F***ing hilarious (maybe because I'm not English, Ok defiantly) and the Tottenham V the Mancs one with Carrol pulling it back was just quick thinking by the 'keeper and if you can get away with it why not.

My personal feeling is that there's a lot more important things to sort out in football than this.

I dose show the agrance of the FA for me thought that they have to have a 'new' idea that needs to be tested. Ice hockey has had a very simple solution for a long time. If the puck goes in a light goes on. Simple.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Nov 25, 2011 03:14:08 pm
      Pretty sure if FIFA get in the way of this, then that will be the last straw.

The FA and all other Football Associations have already threatened a split from FIFA, thus rendering them powerless to stop any decisions.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #15: Nov 25, 2011 03:25:56 pm
      Pretty sure if FIFA get in the way of this, then that will be the last straw.

The FA and all other Football Associations have already threatened a split from FIFA, thus rendering them powerless to stop any decisions.

They wouldn't need FIFAs ok would they? FIFA would only need to ok it being used in internationals. In the different leagues FIFA have no say.

If it was being used successfully in the major leagues, the advertisers and the representatives would force FIFA to change there stance.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16: Nov 25, 2011 03:55:12 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15871146.stm

The general secretary of the FA Alex Horne has said he hopes GLT will be implemented in time for the 2012-13 season.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2012 09:53:51 am
      FA 'heartened' by technology
      The Football Association has told Sky Sports they are 'heartened' that goal-line technology testing is in its final stages.

The FA has long been in favour of bringing in the new technology to help with crucial decisions.

The whole issue again came to the fore over the weekend when Chelsea were awarded a goal against Tottenham, which replays showed should not have stood.

Goal-line technology would have meant Juan Mata's goal at Wembley not being allowed, with the issue being investigated by FIFA. The FA is a firm supporter of using such technology.

The final phase of goal-line technology tests will begin later this month before football's rule-makers make a definitive decision in July, FIFA announced on Sunday after the Mata controversy.

The International Football Association Board, the game's rule-making body, last month approved two systems to go into a second round of testing in match scenarios before either can be sanctioned for use in competitive fixtures at a meeting on July 2.

"The FA has been consistent supporters of the introduction of goal-line technology for over a decade," an FA spokesman told Sky Sports.

"We are heartened that we are now in the final stages of testing with IFAB due to take a final decision on 2 July."

IFAB must be satisfied with the speed and accuracy of Hawk-Eye or GoalRef before high-tech aids for referees can be deployed in football for the first time.

Sony Corp's Hawk-Eye is a camera-based ball-tracking system successfully deployed in tennis and cricket. GoalRef, owned by a German-Danish company, uses a magnetic field with a special ball.

Both systems send a signal within a second of the ball crossing the line to the referee, who will retain the power to make the final call.
      http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7676829/FA-heartened-by-technology
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2012 10:25:25 am
      It's laughable how they want to keep technology off the field but can't even get simple decisions right.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2012 11:33:23 am
      If both systems are 100% accurate and can inform the ref within one second, then they should bring it in next season.

So long as we don't start having time outs or appeals that take an eternity to be judged by a video ref, I'm happy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #20: Apr 16, 2012 11:40:25 am
      It's laughable how they want to keep technology off the field but can't even get simple decisions right.
      What's even more laughable Ad is the fact that it states the FA are in favour of GL technology when all they have done from day 1 is obstruct it's implementation, all they are doing now is bowing to the inevitable.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #21: Apr 16, 2012 11:47:31 am
      What's even more laughable Ad is the fact that it states the FA are in favour of GL technology when all they have done from day 1 is obstruct it's implementation, all they are doing now is bowing to the inevitable.

Goal line tech won't make FIFA any money, so there's the reason for lack of haste.

Also, it'll affect decisions given at old toilet and that can't be a good thing can it?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Apr 16, 2012 12:25:31 pm
      Also, it'll affect decisions given at old toilet and that can't be a good thing can it?
      Two words.

'Technical Difficulties'
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #23: Apr 16, 2012 12:46:47 pm
      I've always wondered what the 4th offical actually does, aside from being shouted at and playing with the sub board, he should be sat watching a tv, and when he see's somthing the on pitch ref doesnt he tells him, or the on field ref asks him about certain desisions, this and a camera either side of both goals, too me at least sounds easy, I mean we do it every time we watch a match on tele, so why would it be so much harder for them to do it as there getting paid???             
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24: Apr 16, 2012 02:47:56 pm
      I've always wondered what the 4th offical actually does, aside from being shouted at and playing with the sub board, he should be sat watching a tv, and when he see's somthing the on pitch ref doesnt he tells him, or the on field ref asks him about certain desisions, this and a camera either side of both goals, too me at least sounds easy, I mean we do it every time we watch a match on tele, so why would it be so much harder for them to do it as there getting paid???             

That's just way too simple mate and will help the little teams more than the big ones, hence the reluctance to implement it by any of the governing bodies.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #25: Apr 16, 2012 08:42:25 pm
      Aww is this because poor old 'arry got screwed out of a cup final.

F**k them and F**k goalline technology.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #26: Apr 16, 2012 09:05:36 pm
      Aww is this because poor old 'arry got screwed out of a cup final.

F**k them and F**k goalline technology.

:gt-happyup:  ;D
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      FIFA and goal line technology
      Reply #27: May 05, 2012 11:36:53 pm
      It's a safe bet that this has been raised hundreds of times already but.....

Geoff Hurst syndrome. 1966 and all that. When are the corrupt and incompetent denizens of FIFA going to live in the 20th century, let alone the 21st, and introduce the technological assistance that enhances cricket, rugby, etc. to ensure that we do not see instances like the Andy Carroll header today which, according to the "Hawkeye" view, so successful in cricket, was over the line?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #28: May 06, 2012 03:26:38 pm
      It's a safe bet that this has been raised hundreds of times already but.....

Geoff Hurst syndrome. 1966 and all that. When are the corrupt and incompetent denizens of FIFA going to live in the 20th century, let alone the 21st, and introduce the technological assistance that enhances cricket, rugby, etc. to ensure that we do not see instances like the Andy Carroll header today which, according to the "Hawkeye" view, so successful in cricket, was over the line?

Who cares?

Luis Garcia!!

Swings and Roundabouts.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #29: May 06, 2012 07:40:12 pm
      What's going to happen when someone gets screwed out of a goal in World Cup?  Oh wait a minute, it's already happened and you don't have to go as far back as Hurst.  You have video review in American football, hockey, rugby, and they're even using it for home runs in baseball.  What's the holdup?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #30: May 07, 2012 01:40:40 am
      It's incidents like that that proves goal line technology is needed.

Freddie Sears ghost goal

Watford v Reading ghost goal
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: May 07, 2012 10:16:25 am
      What's going to happen when someone gets screwed out of a goal in World Cup?  Oh wait a minute, it's already happened and you don't have to go as far back as Hurst.  You have video review in American football, hockey, rugby, and they're even using it for home runs in baseball.  What's the holdup?
      And then there was the Maradona hand of God,but then goal line technology would not of picked that up would it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #32: May 07, 2012 10:25:26 am
      I know of one club whose fortunes would change dramatically without relying on the massed shitheads who support manUre and Chelsea and the short sighted officials who read too many red tops.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: May 07, 2012 10:32:59 am
      I know of one club whose fortunes would change dramatically without relying on the massed shitheads who support manUre and Chelsea and the short sighted officials who read too many red tops.
      stuey I watched the City- Newcastle match and it gave me so much satisfaction to see City did not need goal line technology.It is just a pity G.L.T was not at Wembley as we had Chelsea on the ropes in that second half,my wife watched the match with me and she was disgusted that the goal was disallowed.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #34: May 07, 2012 11:16:13 am
      stuey I watched the City- Newcastle match and it gave me so much satisfaction to see City did not need goal line technology.It is just a pity G.L.T was not at Wembley as we had Chelsea on the ropes in that second half,my wife watched the match with me and she was disgusted that the goal was disallowed.
      We'll just have to put it on the long list Billy of other refereeing decisions that have cost the club dearly, GLT will eradicate the Mr Magoo's with flags and whistles who wreak havoc our results.
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2012 11:27:28 am by stuey »
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #35: May 07, 2012 12:51:24 pm

A friend of ours who is a Chelsea fan even told me it was a blown call and his team probably would have lost had the match gone to extra time.

We're seeing the same push back here with baseball.  The umpire's union is so dead set against video review, yet every year you have a few examples of absolutely atrocious calls.  They finally brought it in for home runs, but still won't implement t for anything else.  Every other sport is moving toward using available technology to weed out some of the human error and I think that's a good thing.  GLT wouldn't really delay the game any.  Maybe there need to be a couple more high profile blown calls.  I have a feeling that if Chelsea gets screwed out of a goal against Bayern coming up, GLT will be implemented the next day.  Thou shalt not upset one of the Lord's anointed teams.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #36: May 07, 2012 03:49:52 pm
      Thou shalt not upset one of the Lord's anointed teams.

They are not the Lord's anointed team, they're Johnny come lately's.

I'll be honest I don't want it, call me a Luddite, but I occasionally enjoy calling the ref's tw*ts!!

Plus this is just another excuse for Sky to jump even further into football, I bet you those cu*ts will even offer their cameras to the FA.

F**k it off!
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #37: May 07, 2012 04:21:46 pm
      They are not the Lord's anointed team, they're Johnny come lately's.

You wouldn't know that by the coverage we get in the U.S.  It is getting better, but at times we still get ManU and Chelsea crammed down our throats.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #38: May 07, 2012 05:13:18 pm
      So right after I make that comment about coverage over here, I see FSC advertising this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57422373/fox-to-air-6-part-documentary-on-liverpool/
      Jag-Man
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #39: May 07, 2012 05:18:35 pm
      Going back to goal line technology, did not FIFA say it was getting test out at this years Euro,s.
      Or have they changed there mind.?
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #40: May 07, 2012 05:26:31 pm
      Going back to goal line technology, did not FIFA say it was getting test out at this years Euro,s.
      Or have they changed there mind.?

Just came across this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/webb-referees-accept-goal-line-124000608--sow.html
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #41: May 09, 2012 09:28:04 pm
      No goal-line technology next term

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed that goal-line technology will not be introduced until 2013 at the earliest.

FIFA are due to make a decision in July on the introduction of goal-line technology with two systems currently being tested.

English football has been beset with a number of goal-line incidents this season, and the calls have been growing for its introduction.

But because the Premier League season would start within just a month of the FIFA decision, should it be positive, Scudamore admits that they would not 'logistically' be able to implement it.

"It's imminent and we'll look to put it in front of our clubs as soon as we practically can in terms of implementation," he told Sky Sports NewsHD.

"But it is unlikely to be for next season given the time scales involved - FIFA approving it and the start of our season for time, many logistical things would need to happen so unlikely for next season but as soon as we can."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/7742882/No-goal-line-technology-next-term
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #42: May 24, 2012 03:09:45 pm
      England friendly to be used for goal-line technology experiment

By Richard Conway

Goal-line technology will be tested at Wembley when England host Belgium in a friendly on 2 June.

Hawk-Eye,  a camera-based system, will be used by independent testers during England's final game before Euro 2012.

But the match officials will have no access to data and the trial will have no impact on any contentious goal-line decisions.

The first live test of Hawk-Eye's system was conducted earlier this month in the Hampshire Senior Cup final.

Calls for goal-line technology have increased with dubious decisions marring a number of high profile games last season.

Chelsea's Juan Mata was awarded a goal that had not crossed the line in his side's 5-1 FA Cup semi-final win over Tottenham on 15 April.

And QPR defender Clint Hill's header was clawed back into play via the crossbar from two feet behind the line by Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan during the London club's 2-1 defeat at the Reebok Stadium on 10 March.

Andy Carroll believed his header had equalised for Liverpool against Chelsea in the FA Cup final, too.

Wembley has seen many controversial goal-line incidents over the years. The most famous came during the 1966 World Cup final, when Sir Geoff Hurst's shot was ruled to have crossed the West German goal-line.

Weeks of talks between Fifa, the Football Association and Hawk-Eye have resulted in an England international being selected to experiment goal-line technology.

England's match, with an expected sell-out crowd of over 85,000, is seen as an ideal test venue.

Fifa's independent appointed testing body - Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology (EMPA) - will conduct further tests after Roy Hodgson's first Wembley game in charge of England, and again the following day.

The six cameras per goal that Hawk-Eye require are due to be installed at Wembley over the course of the next week.

In March, football's law-makers - the International Football Association Board (IFAB) - approved two companies - Hawk-Eye and GoalRef - to take part in the second phase of goal-line technology testing.

IFAB are due to make a final decision on the introduction of goal-line technology in early July.

GoalRef is also currently undergoing tests. Denmark's friendly against Australia in Copenhagen, on the same day as England's match with Belgium, is under consideration for a live test.

Barring any last-minute problems, the expectation is that one or both systems under review will gain approval.

If that happens, any league or competition will be free to introduce the systems if they wish.

Despite the Premier League's long-term enthusiasm, the indications are that there may not be sufficient time to install a system in all 20 top-flight stadiums in time for the start of the 2012-13 season.

The German, Swiss and Dutch leagues are also thought to have expressed an interest in adopting the technology.

Fifa's World Club Cup competition in Japan - which will involve newly crowned Champions League winners Chelsea - could also feature one of the approved systems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18190250
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #43: May 24, 2012 05:38:51 pm
      I'll be honest as well. As long as it is'nt against us I enjoy all the controversy :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #44: Jun 20, 2012 02:39:10 pm
      Now that a goal that was not given, and ENGLAND benefited, it now seems it is essential to get this off the ground. UEFA/FIFA selective priorities, or the R word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18520916

https://twitter.com/SeppBlatter/status/215372031506657281

PS, that "goal" last night was off side too.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #45: Jun 20, 2012 03:54:55 pm
      Don't want, never want it.  Mistakes are a part of the game I love, by players, managers or refs and football has become over-sanitized as it is.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #46: Jun 20, 2012 09:01:25 pm
      But ... WHAT THE F**k are the purposes of the officials behind the goal lines ;D.

Makes no difference to the game.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #47: Jun 20, 2012 11:12:59 pm
      But ... WHAT THE F**k are the purposes of the officials behind the goal lines ;D.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2012 10:17:59 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      Don't want, never want it.  Mistakes are a part of the game I love, by players, managers or refs and football has become over-sanitized as it is.

Arguing against technology in football is like arguing against air traffic control. It has to be brought in to ensure the correct decision is made, and in a couple of years we'll wonder why it wasn't there longer.

Find it incredible that FIFA will allow tv dictate when, where, and what time games are played, but not allow it during the game. Stone-Age stuff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #49: Jun 24, 2012 10:55:13 am
      Arguing against technology in football is like arguing against air traffic control. It has to be brought in to ensure the correct decision is made, and in a couple of years we'll wonder why it wasn't there longer.

Find it incredible that FIFA will allow tv dictate when, where, and what time games are played, but not allow it during the game. Stone-Age stuff.

Not really, why does it have to be brought in?

I actually quite enjoy the pace of the game as it is without getting technology involved, plus it creates great talking or argument points in the post-match piss-up in the boozer afterwards.

No to technology, I'm a F***ing luddite!!
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: Jun 24, 2012 11:02:03 am
      I can see the arguments for and against it.

For: should always get the right decision (although we know that sometimes even technology doesn't give you a definite answer)

Against: will spoil the flow of the game, why does every decision have to be exact? (it's part and parcel of the game), can it be applied to every level of football? (after all Lincoln are battling to get out the conference and a wrong decision could be very important to them, what goes around comes around (Lampard disallowed - Ukraine's goal disallowed)

I'll sit on the fence for now.  It will come in and I'll see how it goes.

If it spoils the game I'll be shouting for its removal.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2012 11:35:24 am
      I don't think it'll waste time that much, it'll be a 30 second delay at most and if you're talking about time wasting they should enforce the simulation and bad sportsman rules more to stop all the dickheads rolling around when they aren't even touched. While I'm at it give the other shower of sh*te a card if they ask for card.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2012 02:39:56 pm

Jobs for the boys.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2012 03:05:30 pm

Would the goal line technology have ensured the correct decision was made when John Terry cleared from behind the line?  No, because it was off-side. 

Pepole are underestimating how important mistakes are in this beautiful game.

Not against change, but I'd change a few things before having TV judges, time-keeping should be removed from the refs hands, Give it to someone who can start and stop the clock off the pitch.  This will also eliminate time-wasting as the instructions should state only run the clock when the ball is in play - the actual time the ball is in play nowadays, on average, has dropped a considerable amount.

Yellow cards should be appealable as well, in fact refs should get a chance to review the game and inform the FA if he feels he missed anything or saw something he didn't, refs aren't infallible as we know, so giving them a chance to rectify them.  After this re-watch, they can then be interviewed by the media, pre-approved questions IF the media is found to be out of line.

Claiming for throw-ins, corners, free kicks etc is to be deemed ungentlemanly behaviour, 1st offence reprimanded, 2nd time warned, 3rd time booked.  Bring back the play to the whistle mentality, after a few years, this will be adjusted so 1st time will be a warning, 2nd time a booking.

Asking for a fellow professional to be shown a card is an automatic red card.

If found guilty of diving, as now a yellow card will be awarded, if this is post-match, this yellow is upgraded to a red if a goal came directly from the decision. You can, post-match, be charged cumulatively, if found to have dived 4 times, twice leading to goals, you'll receive two yellows and a one match ban for the ones not leading to a goal, the two offences which led to goals gives you  2 reds, one with one game ban & one for being, in effect, a 2nd red, and one with a one game ban and a 2 game ban for being a 3rd offense.  Instant 6 game ban and hopefully bye-bye diving.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #54: Jun 24, 2012 03:08:24 pm
      The only reason that I can think of as to why FIFA/UEFA is so reluctant to use goal line technology is that it gives them some flexibility to determine which team(s) gets to the next round/to a final. FIFA certainly wouldn't like to see a Germany/Italy/Spain etc comes up against another team sitting say 91st in the FIFA ranking in the world cup final, that would be bad from the commercial point of view.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #55: Jun 24, 2012 06:07:34 pm
      Would the goal line technology have ensured the correct decision was made when John Terry cleared from behind the line?  No, because it was off-side. 

Not against change, but I'd change a few things before having TV judges, time-keeping should be removed from the refs hands, Give it to someone who can start and stop the clock off the pitch.  This will also eliminate time-wasting as the instructions should state only run the clock when the ball is in play - the actual time the ball is in play nowadays, on average, has dropped a considerable amount.

Yellow cards should be appealable as well, in fact refs should get a chance to review the game and inform the FA if he feels he missed anything or saw something he didn't, refs aren't infallible as we know, so giving them a chance to rectify them.  After this re-watch, they can then be interviewed by the media, pre-approved questions IF the media is found to be out of line.

Claiming for throw-ins, corners, free kicks etc is to be deemed ungentlemanly behaviour, 1st offence reprimanded, 2nd time warned, 3rd time booked.  Bring back the play to the whistle mentality, after a few years, this will be adjusted so 1st time will be a warning, 2nd time a booking.

Asking for a fellow professional to be shown a card is an automatic red card.

If found guilty of diving, as now a yellow card will be awarded, if this is post-match, this yellow is upgraded to a red if a goal came directly from the decision. You can, post-match, be charged cumulatively, if found to have dived 4 times, twice leading to goals, you'll receive two yellows and a one match ban for the ones not leading to a goal, the two offences which led to goals gives you  2 reds, one with one game ban & one for being, in effect, a 2nd red, and one with a one game ban and a 2 game ban for being a 3rd offense.  Instant 6 game ban and hopefully bye-bye diving.

Them rules would mean the end of the scummers, get them rules changed now!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #56: Jun 26, 2012 03:46:57 am
      Quote from Roddenberry

Goal-line technology is exclusively to determine whether the ball crosses the line or not, not to determine what is offside or not.

If the ball is over the line, then the technology will confirm it. If not, the game continues as is.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #57: Jun 26, 2012 05:32:47 am
      I don't think it'll waste time that much, it'll be a 30 second delay at most and if you're talking about time wasting they should enforce the simulation and bad sportsman rules more to stop all the dickheads rolling around when they aren't even touched. While I'm at it give the other shower of sh*te a card if they ask for card.

I haven't looked into it but I was assuming that the technology used would instantly signify whether the ball has crossed the line. If it's a 30 second delay, that is a long long time in terms of disrupting the flow of a game. Not a problem if it was a goal but an unecessary delay if it wasn't.

For the record, I'm with Rodders and HR on this, no interest in the technology. One of my pet hates is when people say football should be more like Rugby for this reason and that. Football is the greatest game on the planet, the controversy and banter is part of the game and it's the same at all levels. Let the hoorah-Henrys sterilise their game with gadgets.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #58: Jun 26, 2012 08:26:50 am
      Quote from Reprobate
      I haven't looked into it but I was assuming that the technology used would instantly signify whether the ball has crossed the line. If it's a 30 second delay, that is a long long time in terms of disrupting the flow of a game. Not a problem if it was a goal but an unecessary delay if it wasn't.

For the record, I'm with Rodders and HR on this, no interest in the technology. One of my pet hates is when people say football should be more like Rugby for this reason and that. Football is the greatest game on the planet, the controversy and banter is part of the game and it's the same at all levels. Let the hoorah-Henrys sterilise their game with gadgets.

A few Liverpool fans here supporting Blatter and Platini, what's going on? Putting in refs behind the goal has been a spectacular failure, unable/unwilling to make the right call even when they're standing in front of it.

It's not a 30-second delay, or to sterilise the game, it's instant to get the correct decision. Goalline Decisions can make or break a season, and can be a life or death issue for the club concerned.

To go back to ATC, it's akin to letting planes fly themselves without direction in the air or on the ground. Sure so what if they crash mid-air, flying is the safest mode of transport after all, but human error is part of the profession.

You wouldn't allow that, and you shouldn't have to put up with mistakes in football either if they can be corrected.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #59: Jun 26, 2012 05:53:22 pm
      A few Liverpool fans here supporting Blatter and Platini, what's going on?

My opinion is just that, my opinion and not based on siding with any individual or organisation.

Putting in refs behind the goal has been a spectacular failure, unable/unwilling to make the right call even when they're standing in front of it.

Totally agree, however I don't see what that has to do with opposing goal line technology, none of us have said that the extra officials were a good idea.

It's not a 30-second delay, or to sterilise the game, it's instant to get the correct decision.

As I said, I don't think there would be a delay but I hadn't looked into it. However, taking such decisions away from the officials will obviously contribute to sterilising the game.

Goalline Decisions can make or break a season, and can be a life or death issue for the club concerned.

It can, which is why we get so passionate over such big decisions and debate them so vehemently.
      Garcia's 'goal' against Chelsea in the CL.
      Carroll's 'goal' against Chelsea in the FA Cup final.
      Decisions have gone both ways for us and it makes great talking points and sparks passionate debate. That's the way it's always been and the way it will still be outside of the richer leagues/competitions.

To go back to ATC, it's akin to letting planes fly themselves without direction in the air or on the ground. Sure so what if they crash mid-air, flying is the safest mode of transport after all, but human error is part of the profession.

You wouldn't allow that, and you shouldn't have to put up with mistakes in football either if they can be corrected.

This is almost certainly the most retarded analogy I've ever seen posted on here. You're saying that not wanting technology that could determine whether a goal has been scored in a football match is akin to not caring whether 400 people die instantly in a ball of burning aviation fuel at 30,000 feet. Amazing.

Well, I should thank you, the irrational  bollocks you've posted in this thread has reminded me why I meant to add you to my ignore list some time ago. I'm off to do so right now so don't bother replying to me directly. I'll leave it for everyone else to ponder your wonderful analogy as a means to 'win' your argument.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #60: Jun 26, 2012 06:10:30 pm
      Well, I'll leave it for everyone else to ponder your wonderful analogy as a means to 'win' your argument.

ATC is essential to get the correct decisions made in the air. Technology is essential to get the correct decisions in football. That is why the "analogy" was made.

It's a disgrace that it's not in yet, and we'll end up wondering what was all the fuss about, after Platini sees the light and caves in. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Jun 26, 2012 11:56:24 pm

ATC is essential to get the correct decisions made in the air. Technology is essential to get the correct decisions in football. That is why the "analogy" was made.

It's a disgrace that it's not in yet, and we'll end up wondering what was all the fuss about, after Platini sees the light and caves in. 

Mistakes are one of the best things about football and an integral part of the game and life, making mistakes is one of the best learning tools we have.  A person who has made no mistakes, hasn't lived.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #62: Jun 27, 2012 11:02:14 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      Mistakes are one of the best things about football and an integral part of the game

Not imo. I would rather get a major call right, than talk how we were robbed by it for decades to come. It would have been great to have goalline technology on hand at Wembley last May, where we would have got what we deserved, and it could have helped Kenny stay in the job.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Jun 27, 2012 11:29:52 am
      Not imo. I would rather get a major call right, than talk how we were robbed by it for decades to come. It would have been great to have goalline technology on hand at Wembley last May, where we would have got what we deserved, and it could have helped Kenny stay in the job.

Even with your emotional aspect added, I still don't want it and as you've already said, it would have given that Ukraine goal, which wouldn't have been the right decision. 

I'd prefer the issues I've already mentioned in a previous post are far more common and far more detrimental o the game than this very rare occurrence.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #64: Jul 05, 2012 07:29:19 pm
      Finally, it's in. FIFA moves into the 21st Century.

Now, there will be no more phantom goalline "clearances". If it's over the line, the ref will know, and justice will be done.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #65: Jul 05, 2012 07:35:42 pm
      Even with your emotional aspect added, I still don't want it and as you've already said, it would have given that Ukraine goal, which wouldn't have been the right decision. 

I'd prefer the issues I've already mentioned in a previous post are far more common and far more detrimental o the game than this very rare occurrence.

Those very rare moments arguably lost us the FA cup, because Carroll's goal was in, which wasn't given.

I think it can only be a good thing for football. It'll make the right decisions and will allow goals that should legally be given.

It was a good thing for Cricket, Rugby and Tennis. I'm confident it'll be a good thing for Football.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #66: Jul 05, 2012 07:35:59 pm
      It's a good thing for that only , it would ruin the game using it for anything else

Ynwa
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #67: Jul 06, 2012 10:00:31 am

Now, there will be no more phantom goalline "clearances". If it's over the line, the ref will know, and justice will be done.

Unless of course if their was an infringement that wasn't seen during the build up, but hey-ho, this tiny problem in the game is fixed, still think far more things should have been fixed first.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #68: Jul 06, 2012 12:17:24 pm

It's Fifa they'll find some way of F***ing it up during the world club cup!

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #69: Jul 06, 2012 12:28:56 pm
      Can't wait for the first time the ball hits the back of the net but the system doesn't register the ball crossing the line.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #70: Jul 06, 2012 08:01:18 pm
      Quote from Roddenberry
      Unless of course if their was an infringement that wasn't seen during the build up.

It has been pointed out before, that it was a separate issue that the technology is not designed for. But having this available in the game is common sense.

I think it's significant that the standard of refereeing was significantly better during this tournament than others, with Collina at the helm. However, his point that the Ukraine-England mystery goal was a one-off mistake, is not correct. How many times have decisions that should have been made by goalline refs not been given?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #71: Jul 06, 2012 08:11:54 pm
      It has been pointed out before, that it was a separate issue that the technology is not designed for. But having this available in the game is common sense.

I think it's significant that the standard of refereeing was significantly better during this tournament than others, with Collina at the helm. However, his point that the Ukraine-England mystery goal was a one-off mistake, is not correct. How many times have decisions that should have been made by goalline refs not been given?

In the 19 games in the tournament, how many had need of this goal line technology?  How many would have benefitted from other things that, imo, are far more important.  Timekeeping taken out of the ref's hand, stricter punishment for diving, stricter attitude towards players claiming for everything, being allowed to contest yellow cards and not just red cards (would have helped Greece for starters).

1 in 19 games is high as well, you might see one or two a month in the Premier League at most.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #72: Jul 06, 2012 09:11:56 pm
      I think Sepp Blatter's head should be the first football used to test if it works.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #73: Jul 07, 2012 06:18:36 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      In the 19 games in the tournament, how many had need of this goal line technology?
      1 in 19 games is high as well, you might see one or two a month in the Premier League at most.

That's one or two too many. It's coming in, because somewhere along the line, it's going to be decisive. All it takes is one second to get the right decision, rather than decades bemoaning the wrong one.

Kenny might be leading out our team next season if we had goalline technology when we should have had it months ago. As it wasn't given, the team lost extra time/penalties, the club lost prize money, and Kenny lost his job. From a Liverpool perspective, that's reason enough to have it, let alone everyone else.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #74: Jul 07, 2012 09:20:57 am
      That's one or two too many. It's coming in, because somewhere along the line, it's going to be decisive. All it takes is one second to get the right decision, rather than decades bemoaning the wrong one.

Kenny might be leading out our team next season if we had goalline technology when we should have had it months ago. As it wasn't given, the team lost extra time/penalties, the club lost prize money, and Kenny lost his job. From a Liverpool perspective, that's reason enough to have it, let alone everyone else.

And the only decision it would have made in the Euros would have been wrong though!

I love the mistakes in football, quite often they're the best part of the game, whether they're by players, managers or officials.

Mistakes are an intergral part of life and sport, I suppose this is just the ever progressing santisation of anything and everything.

We need to get back to playing to the whistle and accepting mistakes are part of the game as well as great discussion points.  If video tech had said Carroll's or even Garcia's goal hadn't gone in, you'd have people moaning the technology had failed. 

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #75: Jul 07, 2012 10:56:05 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      And the only decision it would have made in the Euros would have been wrong though!

We need to get back to playing to the whistle and accepting mistakes are part of the game as well as great discussion points.  If video tech had said Carroll's or even Garcia's goal hadn't gone in, you'd have people moaning the technology had failed.

In the only decision necessary in the Euros, it would have judged the ball had crossed the line. That's what it's designed to do.

If Carroll's goal stood, we could have verified it in seconds. Instead, we lost the final. Reducing the margin for error with this available, doesn't sanitise the sport, it's simply common sense.

And before Garcia's goal is brought up again, even without my LFC cap on, that was over the line imo.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #76: Jul 07, 2012 03:20:48 pm
      In the only decision necessary in the Euros, it would have judged the ball had crossed the line. That's what it's designed to do.

And that decision would be the wrong one and we still have a debate.  Far more things need fixing before this minor problem in the game.  This is just the start of a slippery slope.   22 players, a ref and his assistants, that'll do me, mistakes and all, no need to chuck a computer in the mix.

And if they are insistent on it, then they need to sort out the other problems in the game, completely crackdown on diving, make yellow cards appealable and take timekeeping out of the refs hands to eliminate time-wasting.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #77: Jul 07, 2012 04:01:00 pm
      I think Sepp Blatter's head should be the first football used to test if it works.

Don't forget Platini's head as well!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #78: Jul 09, 2012 11:14:42 am
      FIFA or Blatter to be precise has lost all credibility and maybe he will be agreeable to the much needed technology in order to hang on to his job - hopefully it's a case of too little too late.
      Every one of the arseholes who were furiously turning clocks back now state they will welcome the technology with open arms and how it should have been introduced years ago, so predictable it's embarrassing.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #79: Jul 15, 2012 08:53:43 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      And if they are insistent on it, then they need to sort out the other problems in the game, completely crackdown on diving, make yellow cards appealable and take timekeeping out of the refs hands to eliminate time-wasting.

They do crack down on diving. They do crack down on time-wasting. Most yellow cards are not appealable, if anything more cards should be shown in the game. Players get away with outrageous conning and cheating.

I would love to see keeping the ball in the corner near the end of games punished, as no attempt is being made by the attacking team to play the game. It is clearly time-wasting. More time added on at the end would see that tactic sorted out.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #80: Jul 15, 2012 02:45:49 pm
      They do crack down on diving. They do crack down on time-wasting. Most yellow cards are not appealable, if anything more cards should be shown in the game. Players get away with outrageous conning and cheating.

I would love to see keeping the ball in the corner near the end of games punished, as no attempt is being made by the attacking team to play the game. It is clearly time-wasting. More time added on at the end would see that tactic sorted out.

When do they crackdown on diving?  Maybe for two weeks then it's all forgotten.  Should allow a ref to judge his own performance after a game, rescind or give cards for things he missed. I have no problems with more cards being shown either, I have no truck with commentators who say refs brandishing cards ruin the game, it's the players doing things that are bookable or they can get sent off for that ruined it.  I have no problem with the ball retention, in fact their is a law that deals with it that should be enforced and it should be enforced against defenders too, shielding the ball from an opposition player whilst making no attempt to play it is an indirect free kick.  But to stop time wasting, just take it out the refs hands, the whistle (or possibly a klaxon) goes when the ball has been in play for 45 minutes, no matter where it is on the pitch.  It'll mean Keepers can't drag it out, it'll mean players being subbed can walk as slow as they like etc.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #81: Feb 28, 2013 10:42:12 pm
      Premier League to introduce goal-line technology next season

Goal-line technology will be introduced in the Premier League next season.

The technology was successfully trialled by Fifa at the 2012 Club World Cup and the Premier League says it is in advanced talks with two providers, Hawkeye and GoalRef.

"We're working on the basis of having goal-line technology in place for the start of the season," said Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson.

"All clubs will have to have the system, including those promoted."

Hawkeye and GoalRef were both used at last year's Club World Cup.

League chiefs say they will choose a system based on cost and how easy the system is to implement and use.

Johnson added that Premier League clubs would not be able to opt out of using goal-line technology but insisted the system would not be too expensive for the 20 teams.

Fifa has already said it plans to use the technology at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

A meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the game's law-making body, in Edinburgh on Saturday will be told the first use of the technology was a resounding success.

That report will be the final green light needed for the systems to be used in professional leagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21624953
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #82: Apr 11, 2013 06:41:29 pm
      The Premier League has voted to introduce goal-line technology from the 2013-2014 season, British based Hawk-Eye has been awarded the contract to provide the system.
      Hawk-Eye uses seven cameras per goal to detect the ball and claims the system is ''millimetre accurate'' ensuring no broacast replays could disprove the decision.
      The FA will install a system at Wembley Stadium in time for August's Community Shield.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22107409

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #83: Apr 12, 2013 01:20:40 pm
      So the gap between the Premier League and grassroots football grows even further!

Quick Reply