Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer

Read 17427 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Goal-Line Technology Moves A Step Closer
      Reply #46: Jun 20, 2012 09:01:25 pm
      But ... WHAT THE F**k are the purposes of the officials behind the goal lines ;D.

Makes no difference to the game.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #47: Jun 20, 2012 11:12:59 pm
      But ... WHAT THE F**k are the purposes of the officials behind the goal lines ;D.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2012 10:17:59 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      Don't want, never want it.  Mistakes are a part of the game I love, by players, managers or refs and football has become over-sanitized as it is.

Arguing against technology in football is like arguing against air traffic control. It has to be brought in to ensure the correct decision is made, and in a couple of years we'll wonder why it wasn't there longer.

Find it incredible that FIFA will allow tv dictate when, where, and what time games are played, but not allow it during the game. Stone-Age stuff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #49: Jun 24, 2012 10:55:13 am
      Arguing against technology in football is like arguing against air traffic control. It has to be brought in to ensure the correct decision is made, and in a couple of years we'll wonder why it wasn't there longer.

Find it incredible that FIFA will allow tv dictate when, where, and what time games are played, but not allow it during the game. Stone-Age stuff.

Not really, why does it have to be brought in?

I actually quite enjoy the pace of the game as it is without getting technology involved, plus it creates great talking or argument points in the post-match piss-up in the boozer afterwards.

No to technology, I'm a F***ing luddite!!
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: Jun 24, 2012 11:02:03 am
      I can see the arguments for and against it.

For: should always get the right decision (although we know that sometimes even technology doesn't give you a definite answer)

Against: will spoil the flow of the game, why does every decision have to be exact? (it's part and parcel of the game), can it be applied to every level of football? (after all Lincoln are battling to get out the conference and a wrong decision could be very important to them, what goes around comes around (Lampard disallowed - Ukraine's goal disallowed)

I'll sit on the fence for now.  It will come in and I'll see how it goes.

If it spoils the game I'll be shouting for its removal.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2012 11:35:24 am
      I don't think it'll waste time that much, it'll be a 30 second delay at most and if you're talking about time wasting they should enforce the simulation and bad sportsman rules more to stop all the dickheads rolling around when they aren't even touched. While I'm at it give the other shower of sh*te a card if they ask for card.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2012 02:39:56 pm

Jobs for the boys.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2012 03:05:30 pm

Would the goal line technology have ensured the correct decision was made when John Terry cleared from behind the line?  No, because it was off-side. 

Pepole are underestimating how important mistakes are in this beautiful game.

Not against change, but I'd change a few things before having TV judges, time-keeping should be removed from the refs hands, Give it to someone who can start and stop the clock off the pitch.  This will also eliminate time-wasting as the instructions should state only run the clock when the ball is in play - the actual time the ball is in play nowadays, on average, has dropped a considerable amount.

Yellow cards should be appealable as well, in fact refs should get a chance to review the game and inform the FA if he feels he missed anything or saw something he didn't, refs aren't infallible as we know, so giving them a chance to rectify them.  After this re-watch, they can then be interviewed by the media, pre-approved questions IF the media is found to be out of line.

Claiming for throw-ins, corners, free kicks etc is to be deemed ungentlemanly behaviour, 1st offence reprimanded, 2nd time warned, 3rd time booked.  Bring back the play to the whistle mentality, after a few years, this will be adjusted so 1st time will be a warning, 2nd time a booking.

Asking for a fellow professional to be shown a card is an automatic red card.

If found guilty of diving, as now a yellow card will be awarded, if this is post-match, this yellow is upgraded to a red if a goal came directly from the decision. You can, post-match, be charged cumulatively, if found to have dived 4 times, twice leading to goals, you'll receive two yellows and a one match ban for the ones not leading to a goal, the two offences which led to goals gives you  2 reds, one with one game ban & one for being, in effect, a 2nd red, and one with a one game ban and a 2 game ban for being a 3rd offense.  Instant 6 game ban and hopefully bye-bye diving.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #54: Jun 24, 2012 03:08:24 pm
      The only reason that I can think of as to why FIFA/UEFA is so reluctant to use goal line technology is that it gives them some flexibility to determine which team(s) gets to the next round/to a final. FIFA certainly wouldn't like to see a Germany/Italy/Spain etc comes up against another team sitting say 91st in the FIFA ranking in the world cup final, that would be bad from the commercial point of view.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #55: Jun 24, 2012 06:07:34 pm
      Would the goal line technology have ensured the correct decision was made when John Terry cleared from behind the line?  No, because it was off-side. 

Not against change, but I'd change a few things before having TV judges, time-keeping should be removed from the refs hands, Give it to someone who can start and stop the clock off the pitch.  This will also eliminate time-wasting as the instructions should state only run the clock when the ball is in play - the actual time the ball is in play nowadays, on average, has dropped a considerable amount.

Yellow cards should be appealable as well, in fact refs should get a chance to review the game and inform the FA if he feels he missed anything or saw something he didn't, refs aren't infallible as we know, so giving them a chance to rectify them.  After this re-watch, they can then be interviewed by the media, pre-approved questions IF the media is found to be out of line.

Claiming for throw-ins, corners, free kicks etc is to be deemed ungentlemanly behaviour, 1st offence reprimanded, 2nd time warned, 3rd time booked.  Bring back the play to the whistle mentality, after a few years, this will be adjusted so 1st time will be a warning, 2nd time a booking.

Asking for a fellow professional to be shown a card is an automatic red card.

If found guilty of diving, as now a yellow card will be awarded, if this is post-match, this yellow is upgraded to a red if a goal came directly from the decision. You can, post-match, be charged cumulatively, if found to have dived 4 times, twice leading to goals, you'll receive two yellows and a one match ban for the ones not leading to a goal, the two offences which led to goals gives you  2 reds, one with one game ban & one for being, in effect, a 2nd red, and one with a one game ban and a 2 game ban for being a 3rd offense.  Instant 6 game ban and hopefully bye-bye diving.

Them rules would mean the end of the scummers, get them rules changed now!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #56: Jun 26, 2012 03:46:57 am
      Quote from Roddenberry

Goal-line technology is exclusively to determine whether the ball crosses the line or not, not to determine what is offside or not.

If the ball is over the line, then the technology will confirm it. If not, the game continues as is.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #57: Jun 26, 2012 05:32:47 am
      I don't think it'll waste time that much, it'll be a 30 second delay at most and if you're talking about time wasting they should enforce the simulation and bad sportsman rules more to stop all the dickheads rolling around when they aren't even touched. While I'm at it give the other shower of sh*te a card if they ask for card.

I haven't looked into it but I was assuming that the technology used would instantly signify whether the ball has crossed the line. If it's a 30 second delay, that is a long long time in terms of disrupting the flow of a game. Not a problem if it was a goal but an unecessary delay if it wasn't.

For the record, I'm with Rodders and HR on this, no interest in the technology. One of my pet hates is when people say football should be more like Rugby for this reason and that. Football is the greatest game on the planet, the controversy and banter is part of the game and it's the same at all levels. Let the hoorah-Henrys sterilise their game with gadgets.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Jun 26, 2012 08:26:50 am
      Quote from Reprobate
      I haven't looked into it but I was assuming that the technology used would instantly signify whether the ball has crossed the line. If it's a 30 second delay, that is a long long time in terms of disrupting the flow of a game. Not a problem if it was a goal but an unecessary delay if it wasn't.

For the record, I'm with Rodders and HR on this, no interest in the technology. One of my pet hates is when people say football should be more like Rugby for this reason and that. Football is the greatest game on the planet, the controversy and banter is part of the game and it's the same at all levels. Let the hoorah-Henrys sterilise their game with gadgets.

A few Liverpool fans here supporting Blatter and Platini, what's going on? Putting in refs behind the goal has been a spectacular failure, unable/unwilling to make the right call even when they're standing in front of it.

It's not a 30-second delay, or to sterilise the game, it's instant to get the correct decision. Goalline Decisions can make or break a season, and can be a life or death issue for the club concerned.

To go back to ATC, it's akin to letting planes fly themselves without direction in the air or on the ground. Sure so what if they crash mid-air, flying is the safest mode of transport after all, but human error is part of the profession.

You wouldn't allow that, and you shouldn't have to put up with mistakes in football either if they can be corrected.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #59: Jun 26, 2012 05:53:22 pm
      A few Liverpool fans here supporting Blatter and Platini, what's going on?

My opinion is just that, my opinion and not based on siding with any individual or organisation.

Putting in refs behind the goal has been a spectacular failure, unable/unwilling to make the right call even when they're standing in front of it.

Totally agree, however I don't see what that has to do with opposing goal line technology, none of us have said that the extra officials were a good idea.

It's not a 30-second delay, or to sterilise the game, it's instant to get the correct decision.

As I said, I don't think there would be a delay but I hadn't looked into it. However, taking such decisions away from the officials will obviously contribute to sterilising the game.

Goalline Decisions can make or break a season, and can be a life or death issue for the club concerned.

It can, which is why we get so passionate over such big decisions and debate them so vehemently.
      Garcia's 'goal' against Chelsea in the CL.
      Carroll's 'goal' against Chelsea in the FA Cup final.
      Decisions have gone both ways for us and it makes great talking points and sparks passionate debate. That's the way it's always been and the way it will still be outside of the richer leagues/competitions.

To go back to ATC, it's akin to letting planes fly themselves without direction in the air or on the ground. Sure so what if they crash mid-air, flying is the safest mode of transport after all, but human error is part of the profession.

You wouldn't allow that, and you shouldn't have to put up with mistakes in football either if they can be corrected.

This is almost certainly the most retarded analogy I've ever seen posted on here. You're saying that not wanting technology that could determine whether a goal has been scored in a football match is akin to not caring whether 400 people die instantly in a ball of burning aviation fuel at 30,000 feet. Amazing.

Well, I should thank you, the irrational  bollocks you've posted in this thread has reminded me why I meant to add you to my ignore list some time ago. I'm off to do so right now so don't bother replying to me directly. I'll leave it for everyone else to ponder your wonderful analogy as a means to 'win' your argument.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #60: Jun 26, 2012 06:10:30 pm
      Well, I'll leave it for everyone else to ponder your wonderful analogy as a means to 'win' your argument.

ATC is essential to get the correct decisions made in the air. Technology is essential to get the correct decisions in football. That is why the "analogy" was made.

It's a disgrace that it's not in yet, and we'll end up wondering what was all the fuss about, after Platini sees the light and caves in. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Jun 26, 2012 11:56:24 pm

ATC is essential to get the correct decisions made in the air. Technology is essential to get the correct decisions in football. That is why the "analogy" was made.

It's a disgrace that it's not in yet, and we'll end up wondering what was all the fuss about, after Platini sees the light and caves in. 

Mistakes are one of the best things about football and an integral part of the game and life, making mistakes is one of the best learning tools we have.  A person who has made no mistakes, hasn't lived.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #62: Jun 27, 2012 11:02:14 am
      Quote from Roddenberry
      Mistakes are one of the best things about football and an integral part of the game

Not imo. I would rather get a major call right, than talk how we were robbed by it for decades to come. It would have been great to have goalline technology on hand at Wembley last May, where we would have got what we deserved, and it could have helped Kenny stay in the job.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Jun 27, 2012 11:29:52 am
      Not imo. I would rather get a major call right, than talk how we were robbed by it for decades to come. It would have been great to have goalline technology on hand at Wembley last May, where we would have got what we deserved, and it could have helped Kenny stay in the job.

Even with your emotional aspect added, I still don't want it and as you've already said, it would have given that Ukraine goal, which wouldn't have been the right decision. 

I'd prefer the issues I've already mentioned in a previous post are far more common and far more detrimental o the game than this very rare occurrence.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #64: Jul 05, 2012 07:29:19 pm
      Finally, it's in. FIFA moves into the 21st Century.

Now, there will be no more phantom goalline "clearances". If it's over the line, the ref will know, and justice will be done.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #65: Jul 05, 2012 07:35:42 pm
      Even with your emotional aspect added, I still don't want it and as you've already said, it would have given that Ukraine goal, which wouldn't have been the right decision. 

I'd prefer the issues I've already mentioned in a previous post are far more common and far more detrimental o the game than this very rare occurrence.

Those very rare moments arguably lost us the FA cup, because Carroll's goal was in, which wasn't given.

I think it can only be a good thing for football. It'll make the right decisions and will allow goals that should legally be given.

It was a good thing for Cricket, Rugby and Tennis. I'm confident it'll be a good thing for Football.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #66: Jul 05, 2012 07:35:59 pm
      It's a good thing for that only , it would ruin the game using it for anything else

Ynwa
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #67: Jul 06, 2012 10:00:31 am

Now, there will be no more phantom goalline "clearances". If it's over the line, the ref will know, and justice will be done.

Unless of course if their was an infringement that wasn't seen during the build up, but hey-ho, this tiny problem in the game is fixed, still think far more things should have been fixed first.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #68: Jul 06, 2012 12:17:24 pm

It's Fifa they'll find some way of F***ing it up during the world club cup!

Quick Reply