Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

English language help

Read 1462 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      English language help
      Nov 26, 2011 06:33:35 pm
      Okay, I'm doing a coursework about forecasting and I've been given like 100+ amount of months for my data/time series.

The first question says "Withhold the last 12 observations of the time series .. bla bla bla"

My question is, what does "withhold the last 12 observations of the time series" mean?

I'm not sure whether it means I leave out the 12 observations or I only take the 12 observations?

I'm guessing it means "Restrain/leave out" in that context which means I only consider the data EXCLUDING the last 12.

LFCexiled
      Re: English language help
      Reply #1: Nov 26, 2011 06:48:48 pm
      That's what I take it to mean, leave out/omit the last 12 results in the 100 months time series.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2: Nov 26, 2011 06:52:56 pm
      Cheers, LFCexiled.

I wasn't sure what "withhold" meant in this context but I guess it's actually pretty obvious since taking the last 12 results only won't make any sense.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: Nov 26, 2011 08:59:41 pm

Not a bother. ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #4: Nov 27, 2011 06:50:23 pm
      Cheers, LFCexiled.

I wasn't sure what "withhold" meant in this context but I guess it's actually pretty obvious since taking the last 12 results only won't make any sense.
      Personally I would take it to mean hold back, do not disclose the data mentioned.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #5: Nov 27, 2011 06:52:37 pm
      Yeah, thanks for your help, guys.

Considering they want me to forecast 12 months and said to withhold the actual 12, i guess it make sense that it means to not include the original 12 data so I can make a comparison between the 12 I forecasted and the 12 I've left out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #6: Nov 28, 2011 03:57:52 pm
      Considering they want me to forecast 12 months and said to withhold the actual 12, i guess it make sense that it means to not include the original 12 data so I can make a comparison between the 12 I forecasted and the 12 I've left out.

Sounds like that's what they want.

Quick Reply