Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (4.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2.6%)
      Jose Enrique
      (4.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (1.1%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.5%)
      Charlie Adam
      (8.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (73.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (3.2%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (0.5%)
      Stewart Downing
      (0.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0.5%)

Liverpool 1-1 Man City: In game and Post Match Chat

Read 38604 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Man City: In game and Post Match Chat
      Reply #644: Nov 27, 2011 07:52:54 pm
      When you consider what they did at Old Trafford and White Hart Lane I'd say that was a top performance today..Great game of football..Two teams really having a real go at each other...some memorable run outs today , Lucas & Adam were brilliant...my jury's still out on Downing though...i can appreciate he's been a team player but Enrique was more of a winger today.
      Has Reina been chatting to Bruce Grobs?...Don't start that Caper Pepe...and as for his opposite number today that last minute save was world class..
      Great game...onwards and upwards..
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #645: Nov 27, 2011 07:53:03 pm
      So much for Silva dominating our midfield as well, the lad hardly got a F***ing sniff.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #646: Nov 27, 2011 07:53:31 pm
      City scored just one goal for the first time in the Premier League this season
      City had only seven shots on goal. Their previous lowest was 14 against Villa and Newcastle

;D

Says it all about the improvements we have made as a team and as an opposition to big teams.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #647: Nov 27, 2011 08:07:27 pm

A decent result in a very solid performance ... Very good tactical setup by Kenny ... There are still some obvious deficiencies in our game, but we are starting to look like a Champions League team ... Hopefully, our weaknesses will be addressed as soon as January ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #648: Nov 27, 2011 08:08:37 pm
      Excellent performance from the reds today, unlucky not to win, Lucas MOTM but another good performance from Adam and Downing had possibly his best game in a red shirt.

Echo what RedBlood said in that it was good to see us look strong throughout the game.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #649: Nov 27, 2011 08:14:20 pm
      Not seen the match yet but know the score, listened on 5 dead while i drove my lad home to Somerset, cant wait to watch it, sounds a great game in which they struggled to handle the pressure imposed by us, was chuffed to hear their so called star players fall by the way-side as the game went on, Richards, Balotelli, Kun Aguero, then Silva,such a shame Bellers had to call off he would have been perfect to come on around the hour mark,
      people saying we have dropped two pts again,probably fair enough but i'd rather be more positive in that we stopped a unbeaten Citeh, who have been the best in the EPL this season and have battered our CL spot rivals scoring 6 against Scum and 5 against Spuds,

i knew they wouldn't do that to us and that tells me that they were more worried about us than we were of them, and that kenny got his tactics spot on again, PPL were asking how many pts we would get V Chavs & Shitty,we got 4 but could have been 6 on any other day, 8pts from 15 against our rivals dont sound much but only Spuds beat us convincingly and we only had 9 men,

our gold era is about to begin with December and taking all pts on offer until the turn of the year will set us up nicely for the second half of the season, i think we are going along just fine, without reaching our peak, and when we do, its gonna be f***in awesome, CL spot ? we'll piss it, BELIEVE !!
      StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #650: Nov 27, 2011 08:17:02 pm
      If unluck were a man, i would kill him. De Gea, Hart: when they come into Anfield, they became best keeper in the world. F**k 'em !! I can't think we are 12 points under THIS MCFC. However, today all the lads were world classes. Very very congrats boys, well done !!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #651: Nov 27, 2011 08:53:28 pm
      Very disappointed that we didn't come away with all three points today, we certainly deserved them. Citeh took control for the first 15mins or so, but after that we more than matched them, created some great half chances and but for an outstanding game by Hart could have won comfortably.

We desperately need someone who can put the ball in the net.

I think Kenny has told Reina to be more of a rushout goalie too judging by a couple of Pepe's charges out of goal.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #652: Nov 27, 2011 08:59:44 pm
      Lucas Stats:
      Passes attempted 75
      Passes completed 69
      Success rate 92%

Tackles attempted 11
      Tackles won 11

That's split into:

Duels won (aerial) 5/5
      Duels won (tackle) 6/6

Interceptions 6
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #653: Nov 27, 2011 08:59:55 pm
      Gutted.

I was so sure Carroll's header was in. Great team effort and Lucas Leiva you are a beast!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #654: Nov 27, 2011 09:14:40 pm
      Lucky enough to be at the game today, Lucas and Adam superb in midfield as were Agger and Skertel in defence, best display for a while, just hope that we can keep the consistency against sides lower in the table.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #655: Nov 27, 2011 09:16:22 pm

Best display for at least a week.

;)
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #656: Nov 27, 2011 09:18:25 pm
      Another good performance. I thought the lads showed them too much respect in the first half and were a bit slow to get up and support Suarez. 2nd half was much much better and we played soem good stuff and were unlucky not to win it at the end. Have to echo everyone's comments on Lucas, the lad immense today and Adam was also excellent alongside him. I was also very impressed with Danny Agger today. Keeping Silva and Aguero as quiet as they did was never going to be easy. A few nervous moments there as well but thabkfully we had Reina doing the best impersonation of Brucie Grob in many a year to save the day! Have to be happy with 4 points from these two games but can't help but feel a bit disapointed not to have won the game.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #657: Nov 27, 2011 09:18:44 pm
      i was very pleased with that performance. gutted we didn't win, i always am, but we deserved to and we created more clear cut chances than them.

midfield was very solid, defense was excellent and our passing game has really improved.

downing and hendo had a poor game, which seems to be a recurring theme these days. bellamy should have started ahead of hendo and maxi instead of downing, but can't complain too much. we outplayed the current best team in the country and we only didn't win for a series of world class saves from their keeper.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #658: Nov 27, 2011 10:09:41 pm
      "A cruel deflection gifts Liverpool a point"

Hahahahaha f***in hell, you couldn't write this sh*te from the BBC

They really do hate us
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #659: Nov 27, 2011 10:11:52 pm
      Right, I'm going to see just how bad the BBC try to make us look on MOTD2
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #660: Nov 27, 2011 10:19:22 pm
      Having now had a chance to let that settle in,  a few thoughts. 

Pepe gave a few heart in mouth moments, but looking back, he was playing the sweeper keeper role bang on and was always in control.  Always looked in control, and his positioning was top notch.

Another solid game from Johnson as well, Enrique was almost faultless, just one sh*t your pants moment with a short backpass.

Skrtel and Agger, were once touted as the future, but they are the now, Carragher & Coates have a job to do, if they want to break that partnership up.

Lucas & Adam, the partnership is really starting to blossom, Adam faded a little in the first half, but impressed in the second.  Lucas is just a beast and I think he's still getting better.

Henderson did a lot of donkey work, created space well for Kuyt & Johnson, had some moments, but definite glimpses of 'something' today, just not enough of them.

Kuyt worked tirelessly, again as couple of moments, really think a goal might have kicked him on today.

Downing, when running at players, especially in the second half, was a joy to behold.  Such a shame he chose so often to cut-back, slow down. 

Suarez was a handful, yet again.  Got some rough treatment today.

Plus a nice cameo from Carroll, very unlucky not to score.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #661: Nov 27, 2011 10:20:57 pm
      Ruddy, Vorm and now Hart all play blinders against us f**king frustrating  :f_steam:
      This and even De Gea played well.

Played very well yet again and cancelled out City but Hart had a blinder.

I thought Kompany should have seen red as he brought Suarez down badly twice while he was on a yellow.

Gutted we didn't win as we deserved it.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #662: Nov 27, 2011 10:36:23 pm
      We deserved to win ,we were by far the better team , hungrier for the ball getting to the ball that bit quicker , pacier ,just missing that clinical finish we have all been talking about for a while, that"s all we need ,come january transfer it might be solved, i thought Adam had a fine game ,he is starting to click and give his critics the 2 fingers .this was going to be probably the hardest match of the league so we haven"t done badly atall.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #663: Nov 27, 2011 10:56:40 pm
      It seemed like we had a lot of matches this year where we started slow or played flat for the first 30-40 minutes, but they pretty much dictated the flow and play of the game from the first whistle to the last. City are certainly the best team in the EPL and we pushed them up and down the field today.

Skrtel and Agger were great and Lucas is just a machine.  Certainly pissed that we didnt get 3 points, we played well enough but it happens. I think we finally have exercised the demons of the past 18 months and I am very happy with how these guys are playing.

I think we should also realize the job KK has done. He has brought the Liverpool pride and swagger back and I am flying about this club.

Long Live the King.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #664: Nov 27, 2011 11:20:12 pm
      "A cruel deflection gifts Liverpool a point"

Hahahahaha f***in hell, you couldn't write this sh*te from the BBC

They really do hate us

Well, not all of the media ...

Liverpool show a packed midfield is how to beat Manchester City

Kenny Dalglish's five men in the middle of the park worked hard to snuff out the threat of City's main threat, David Silva

David Pleat
      Sunday 27 November 2011 21.54 GMT

Manchester City started brightly, with the Champions League defeat to Napoli last week a distant memory but Liverpool were powerful opponents, who slowly wrestled control with a thoroughly organised, hard‑running and skilful performance.

By smothering the passing opportunities for City's midfielders, Liverpool's five-man midfield gradually negated the visitors' rhythm. Crucially they prevented David Silva from dictating the clever passing movements that have created much of the trouble for opposing defences this season.

No one Liverpool player was designated to man-mark the Spaniard, but whether it was Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson or Lucas Leiva, they each beavered away to stop his supply and close his space, while in the wide areas, Stewart Downing's role in this pressuring was important.

Relying on Luis Suárez twisting and turning up front and gaining several free-kicks, Liverpool showed enormous amounts of energy and effort to race forward and join in attacks.

City's centre-backs, Joleon Lescott and Vincent Kompany, dealt well on the whole with a difficult afternoon. Although Sergio Agüero had a similar role to Suárez in attack, his early trickery faded and his team-mates wilted as Liverpool slowly stifled the exciting creative talents of Roberto Mancini's men.

Samir Nasri was replaced and even Silva was finally withdrawn, while the enigmatic Mario Balotelli was sent off after picking up a second yellow card with seven minutes remaining, on this occasion a little unluckily.

Liverpool kept their shape well. Their outlet, the free-running Downing, grew in confidence on the left, while on the right, Dirk Kuyt's energy levels never cease to amaze. As the game developed, and buoyed by Lescott's own goal, Liverpool sensed a win – what they have shown the Premier League is a way of thwarting City's talented group.

Opening up the game with two central midfield players will not stop City. Man-marking Silva is an option, but committed pressuring in midfield, with each man covering closely, worked well here.

As the game gathered pace, Joe Hart earned his corn in the City goal, saving brilliantly from a number of Liverpool efforts. Watching from the stands, the injured Steven Gerrard must have enjoyed this statement of Liverpool's intent.

Kenny Dalglish has turned his group into a solid unit, balancing each player's talents without having to integrate Andy Carroll's strengths. Unquestionably Liverpool will be in the mix for a Champions League place as the season progresses.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/27/liverpool-midfield-manchester-city
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #665: Nov 28, 2011 12:02:03 am
      First team to stop City scoring twice in a league game in a long long time. Says a lot too
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #666: Nov 28, 2011 12:02:36 am
      Wing play is quickly becoming a problem for us

Downing seems to be a player low on confidence he rarely challenged Richards today and hasn't been doing it for a few games. I really believe that once he starts playing with Stevie they will build a great relationship

Quick Reply