Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield

Read 19980 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Nov 30, 2011 06:58:16 pm
      As it appears we will be without Lucas for an extended period of time, what are everyone's thoughts on our Central midfield now? How will we lineup without our two best CMs (Lucas and Gerrard)?

The simple solution is to put Spearing next to Adam. Everyone will cite Spearo's excellent form during the tail end of last season as the reason. But has anyone considered that his best games were next to Lucas? Does he have the energy and drive to take over?

Would you put Henderson and Adam ahead of Spearing in a midfield three? Shelvey in there too? We have options, but it's apparent that this will really hurt. What do you all think Kenny's solution will be?

I would go to a midfield three and have Henderson and Adam ahead of Spearing, but Hendo must play box-to-box.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Reply #1: Nov 30, 2011 07:04:15 pm
      I think we may dip into the market for a young DM in January. We'll need someone to replace Lucas' tenacity and ability to break the play up well.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #2: Nov 30, 2011 07:10:33 pm
      These were things I have posted in other threads pertaining to this topic, so I figured I'd just paste them in here.  This is my opinion in a nutshell:

I've been saying for a while that I don't think Spearo is LFC quality and that we need to have someone who can provide quality cover/competition for the holding midfield role.  I personally hope we go balls out for a player like De Rossi, Lars Bender, Mvila, etc in January.  Gerrard coming back from injury will give us a boost as well, but I think he will be deployed as a withdrawn forward, CAM, or a ball playing CM (basically competing for Adam's position) so I think we will still need to bring in another holding CM, especially if Lucas's injury is anything more than a couple of weeks out. 

A lot of people on here seem to think that Spearing has what it takes to be a success at LFC, but I just don't understand why....  I will be the first to admit that I wholeheartedly respect and appreciate the effort and attitude he shows every time he gets an opportunity, but he just isn't good enough for LFC.  Look at it this way, Lucas is 24 years old and has been an important member of our first team for the last 3-1/2 seasons.  Jay is 23 and can only get 1st team minutes in Carling Cup games or when we have an injury problem like we have now with Stevie and Lucas being out.  Everyone on here knows that if Stevie was fit, we would be looking at Stevie and Adam as our CM pairing until Lucas returns.  So why do people think that just because Jay is the next option in the pecking order that he is suddenly good enough?  It just doesn't make sense....

I really hope that Jay comes into the 1st team like a f**king monster and makes me eat my words, but I just don't see it happening.  The best I am hoping for is that he just doesn't cost us vital points over the course of the next 5 weeks.
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011 07:18:11 pm by redkenny »
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: Nov 30, 2011 07:13:25 pm
      Anyone bombarding Spearing in this conversation can F**k off.

Every time asked by Kenny to do a job, he's done it well. Get the F**k behind him. In January, we'll definitely have an eye on the position.

But for now, we'll go to a normal 3 in the center. Helping all 3 of them, since Lucas won't be there to mop up. Spearo will do a job, everyone should be confident of that.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #4: Nov 30, 2011 07:15:54 pm
      Jon Jo Shelvey has also been recalled from Blackpool.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2011 07:16:47 pm
      Midfield Sans Lucas
             Adam Spearo     
      Bellamy Shelvey? Maxi

i think packing five in the midfield will provide us with enough defensive covering.

Adam has been making some great tackles recently and getting stuck into the dirty business in midfield.
      Spearing is inexperianced but understands the role more than Hendo or Coady, and will give 100% and get the job done.

I really think Shelvey should get a run of games for us. we havent really been given a consistent insight into how he'd cope with the premier league. Especially now that we are coming to a decent run of games against beatable teams, so the need for a defensive minded midfielder is kinda softened. ,so we should give Shelvey a chance now that we've recalled him.
      However according to some rumours it could be the rest of the season, so we'd definitely have to invest in January.

Shelvey has already scored 6 goals this season and has been the Championships best player so far. I think he'll be able to step it up as he's in great form at the moment.  :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2011 07:22:18 pm
      It's going to be really interesting now because Adam was getting a good understanding going with Lucas' movement and I fear Adams game may suffer for a bit without Lucas being the ever present figure around the middle for us.

At this moment in time, I'm thinking it's going to be Henderson or Spearing to hold the fort. Shelvey is a bit of cover.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2011 07:31:04 pm
      The injury may be just the fillip the club needs to sign another defensive midfielder in January but until then, for me, it would be wee Jay all day every day. He's full of drive, energy and never shirks a challenge. To my mind he has always stepped up when asked and never disappointed - he deserves a go.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2011 07:31:55 pm
      Whenever Kenny has asked jay to step up for a game,hes done it. Its now for Adam to step up his game IMO.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #9: Nov 30, 2011 07:37:19 pm
      Anyone bombarding Spearing in this conversation can f**k off.

Every time asked by Kenny to do a job, he's done it well. Get the f**k behind him. In January, we'll definitely have an eye on the position.

But for now, we'll go to a normal 3 in the center. Helping all 3 of them, since Lucas won't be there to mop up. Spearo will do a job, everyone should be confident of that.

I have to assume that this was aimed at me as I have been the only poster thus far not backing him to succeed.  So, I will reiterate that I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the way Jay goes about his business and I really wish nothing but the best for him.  However, everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and just as many other posters didn't think Degen/Poulsen/Dossena/etc were good enough for LFC, I do not think Spearo is good enough.  No offense meant by it, but I see him as comparable to Lee Cattermole - full of determination, but lacking the ability and technique to make it at a top club. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Nov 30, 2011 07:38:56 pm
      The injury may be just the fillip the club needs to sign another defensive midfielder in January but until then, for me, it would be wee Jay all day every day. He's full of drive, energy and never shirks a challenge. To my mind he has always stepped up when asked and never disappointed - he deserves a go.

Agreed mate. He deserves a chance and I think he's gonna be given it in Lucas' absence.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #11: Nov 30, 2011 07:41:37 pm
      I'd actually be up for seeing Carra back in the side and Agger doing the Lucas job.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #12: Nov 30, 2011 07:44:55 pm
      It's going to be really interesting now because Adam was getting a good understanding going with Lucas' movement and I fear Adams game may suffer for a bit without Lucas being the ever present figure around the middle for us.

At this moment in time, I'm thinking it's going to be Henderson or Spearing to hold the fort. Shelvey is a bit of cover.

:o

Who?

But yeah, I agree with your overall point.

I think Adam will suffer because of that, Adam has the freedom to bomb forward and Lucas is very tactically aware and disciplined to cover Adam.

With anyone else next to Adam, we will get punished more, simply because Adam lacks the mobility (for the stat kings on here, I said mobility, not stamina) to catch up to play when he loses possession, and he loses possession too often.

I think we should move to a three in midfield, I've said this before but it'd give us more legs and ball retention, and it would share the defensive responsibilities between the three.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Nov 30, 2011 07:47:52 pm
      full of determination, but lacking the ability and technique to make it at a top club.

Fair enough harry, but I'd wonder if he's had enough games in the league for you to come to that conclusion. He hasn't for me bud. I think he deserves a channa!

Adam's game. You knew what I meant Spongebob!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Nov 30, 2011 07:54:38 pm
      I agree that I think Adam will suffer if we continue with the same "formation" we've set out with during the league. Without Lucas covering for him, we may have to shift a full-time 3rd central midfielder in. I'm ok with that, and I think we do it in bunches throughout the match.

I'm just anxious to see how Spearing does without Lucas next to him. They were immense together, but I wonder if Lucas was letting him shine a bit. Hopefully not :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #15: Nov 30, 2011 08:00:44 pm
      This is actually sickening :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Nov 30, 2011 08:15:40 pm
      Henderson, Spearing, Adam

Shelvey on the bench.

That's if we keep playing 4-1-2-3.
      With the amount of games we have 4-4-2 might be a given purely to keep the players fresh.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #17: Nov 30, 2011 08:19:46 pm
      Its a big blow losing Lucas, but I think Spearing is good enough the next games, Fulham, QPR, Aston Villa, Wigan and Blackburn. That will take us upto the Newcastle game, which will be a tougher test.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2011 08:19:48 pm
      Isn't it a pity we don't have Poulsen anymore?!!!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: Nov 30, 2011 08:32:31 pm
      How long is Lucas out for?

What a blow!

Spearing beside Adam, for me.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2011 08:42:49 pm
      Isn't it a pity we don't have Poulsen anymore?!!!!

I bet we could get a seasoned pro like that on loan for a bit..?
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2011 08:55:56 pm
      It will be interesting to see how Kenny adjusts the team to account for Lucas's absence.  Considering we have just recalled Shelvey from his loan, it looks like we are preparing for being without Lucas (and possibly Gerrard) for a long while.  I personally would not be surprised if Kenny decides to slot Shelvey directly into the 1st team ahead of Spearo.  This would mean we would either see a midfield trio of Adam/Hendo/Shelvey, or a midfield duo of Adam/Shelvey with Hendo playing out on the right as he has done at times.  If Kenny does opt to include Shelvey ahead of Spearo, then I have to say that the writing is on the wall for wee Jay....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2011 09:33:50 pm
      First of all a massive blow to Lucas and Liverpool if the cruciate stories are true.  In fact, whether he will ever be the same player after is still up in the air as they can be career ending injuries.  I hope everything in his recovery goes exceptionally well.

Anyone bombarding Spearing in this conversation can f**k off.

Agreed.  I'd have Spearing in that role before I had Adam, Henderson, Shelvey OR Gerrard.

We may well go out for someone extra in a months time as cover because Lucas and Spearing are the two natural defensive midfielders in the squad.  Everyone else would be fitting in to a spare hole.

There is another option however, a certain central defender who started his career as a centre midfielder...

Quick Reply