Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield

Read 19979 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Reply #23: Nov 30, 2011 09:45:34 pm
      First of all a massive blow to Lucas and Liverpool if the cruciate stories are true.  In fact, whether he will ever be the same player after is still up in the air as they can be career ending injuries.  I hope everything in his recovery goes exceptionally well.

Agreed.  I'd have Spearing in that role before I had Adam, Henderson, Shelvey OR Gerrard.

We may well go out for someone extra in a months time as cover because Lucas and Spearing are the two natural defensive midfielders in the squad.  Everyone else would be fitting in to a spare hole.

There is another option however, a certain central defender who started his career as a centre midfielder...

Totally agree on this in regards to Spearing. Never ever underestimate the power of a strong heart, hard work and determination. Time and time again from various reports we hear Jay's name come up as the hardest worker in training. Yes he may not be the most athletic or technical player out there but what he may lack he makes up for in grit and focus.

Maybe I am old fashioned but my experience with other sports has shown me guy's like Jay can not only step in but also thrive and push their game to a new level. I would rather a team of Bellamy's and Spearing's over a team of Lampard's/Torres. It might not be the prettiest team in the world but they would run thru brick walls for club and supporters, and that type of skill is a rare find these days.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #24: Nov 30, 2011 09:53:00 pm
      Javi Martinez!
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #25: Nov 30, 2011 10:16:36 pm
      Adam's game. You knew what I meant Spongebob!

You forgot Squarepants ;)
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #26: Nov 30, 2011 10:52:56 pm

Would be great, but I dread to think what the price would be for him, particularly in a January window.

Personally, for me Spearing has been quality when given the chance, would be nice to see a local lad take his chance and really cement his place. For this reason, I'd like to see him being given an extended run in the team. A best case scenario would be bringing someone in on loan as cover for him in January, and Lucas being fully fit for the start of next season (iff the rumours are true with regards to him being out for 6 months+ ). If we do look to bring someone in on a permenant basis, let's hope we can avoid the hyper inflation of the last week of the window.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #27: Nov 30, 2011 11:50:29 pm
      Spearing and Adam, which I personally think will help Charlie an awful lot for a couple of reasons;

1 - Jay will take some of the attacking responsibility of Adam. Jay is always looking forward, that's his first instinct and does tend to play some really decent passes.

2 - Jay has some F***ing engine on him. He gets around the pitch comfortably. So if a player leaves Adam for pace, Jay will be there to cover for him, whereas Lucas relies more on his positional game than actual pace.

3 - Jay's a terrier who'll just go right through anyone, whereas Henderson and Shelvey aren't exactly known for their tackling ability.

No surprise I pick Jay as I'd of had him starting every game but now there's a long term injury to Lucas, this is really Jay's big chance to stamp his mark on this team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Dec 01, 2011 12:04:12 am
      I think Spearing will do a job, like he's always done ever since Kenny became manager, but I do think we should look for another option in January if Lucas is out for a long period as rumoured. As much as I appreciate Jay's contribution to the squad, I don't see too much future for him at the club. Anyway, since we can only get anyone else in January, at the very least he'll have the chance to prove himself now in December, and I'm confident he'll do a decent job.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #29: Dec 01, 2011 01:19:33 am
      There is another option however, a certain central defender who started his career as a centre midfielder...
      Sami's too old now, mate  :p
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #30: Dec 01, 2011 02:22:34 am
      I trust Spearing enough to cover up for Lucas. His performances last season and his latest one against Chelsea have shown he can be relied upon. He will not be as good as Lucas, but he could prove to be a decent option.

Bringing Shelvey back is a decent move too, he can now take over the role that Spearing had till now, that of a backup.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #31: Dec 01, 2011 02:23:48 am
      No doubting Jays heart and determination but i think Jordan will be hoping for a chance in the middle of midfield as well and im caught in two minds who i'd prefer as first choice

Either way its a opourtunity for both and its also shows that even without Stevie and Lucas we can still field a strong team
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #32: Dec 01, 2011 02:26:02 am
      I think Spearing will do a job, like he's always done ever since Kenny became manager, but I do think we should look for another option in January if Lucas is out for a long period as rumoured. As much as I appreciate Jay's contribution to the squad, I don't see too much future for him at the club. Anyway, since we can only get anyone else in January, at the very least he'll have the chance to prove himself now in December, and I'm confident he'll do a decent job.

I think Kenny has all the time in the world for Jay. Think he'll be here for a good long while. Maybe not starting, but for situations like this - when a job is needed.

We will surely explore options in January but I'm fully confident in our Spearo.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #33: Dec 01, 2011 09:36:16 am
      I'd start with Henderson and Adam in the middle with Downing and Maxi on the wings.

Lucas will be a MASSIVE miss, we'll struggle without his consistency.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #34: Dec 01, 2011 10:06:37 am
      I wonder if Conor Coady has a chance of the first team bench after the Lucas injury?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #35: Dec 01, 2011 12:28:49 pm
       There's no point in having squad players, fringe players and stand ins if you aren't going to use them. Spearing is already a far better player than me and other similar muppets ever thought he would be, and he looks better every time he plays. His fizzed pass to Henderson which led to the goal against Chelsea was top class, and he's got a goal/shot in him as well. I'd stick him in with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever, and have few worries about the job he'll do. 
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #36: Dec 01, 2011 12:39:18 pm
      What about the crazy idea of recalling Alberto Aquilani?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #37: Dec 01, 2011 12:42:52 pm

He isn't a defensive midfielder, we would be exposed too much.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38: Dec 01, 2011 12:45:25 pm

As crazy ideas go, it's pretty crazy.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #39: Dec 01, 2011 12:47:34 pm
      Can't see Aquilani coming back any time soon
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Dec 01, 2011 12:50:25 pm
      I don't think Spearing is a long term solution but he can certainly do a job until the end of the season if Lucas is out for as long as is expected. My biggest worry is if Lucas never comes back the to the same standard then I do beleive we'll have to buy in someone better than young Jay, think he's just below top level standard even though I wish him all the best.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #41: Dec 01, 2011 12:50:56 pm

Wont happen - he has signed a 3 year agreement with Milan
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Dec 01, 2011 01:18:42 pm
      So sorry for Lucas. He must be gutted. Becoming a 1st team regular and playing so well, then this ... guys probably tearin his hair out.
      I'd give Hendo a chance in the middle with Adam. Have Adam play a bit deeper. We've plenty of other wing options. But if it's not workin out (Hendo needs to put in a lot more graft than he is now) I'd have Spearing in.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Dec 01, 2011 01:23:58 pm

Good shout, but we have already re-called Shelvey so it would put out that idea there.

Who can honestly say that they thought there would be a thread in The Kop ruing an injury to Lucas and how much of a gap he will leave in the midfield 2 years ago?
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #44: Dec 01, 2011 01:26:07 pm
      Agger move up perhaps? Carragher\Coates in centre back?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #45: Dec 01, 2011 01:33:52 pm
      Not sure about that. I know Agger is a good defender but he doesn't look like the type of player that is able to run the midfield as in chasing left and right, up and down for a whole game.

Quick Reply