Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield

Read 19981 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Reply #230: Dec 05, 2011 04:08:14 pm
      Good point raised Scott, I was thinking similar things of Henderson's energy and work rate, but I don't agree when it comes to his tackling ability. Not sure he's all that strong, precise or quick in the tackle to be honest, though that's just from what I've seen thus far, and I am mainly judging on his performances where he's played further forward this season.

Yeah we've seen him playing off of the right side for the most part this season so he's spent more time jockeying, tracking runners and showing players inside so it's hard to judge his tackling. But he does seem to be of a defensive mindset or at least that's how I see it.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #231: Dec 05, 2011 06:57:12 pm
      I disagree, I think his best football for us has thus far come when he's put into a more central attacking role, and I think hes much better going forward than back, but that's just how I see it! :D
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #232: Dec 05, 2011 10:05:27 pm
      I'm guessing this could get a bit more vibrant, especially if wee Jay's 3 match ban is upheld.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #233: Dec 05, 2011 10:16:04 pm
      I'm guessing this could get a bit more vibrant, especially if wee Jay's 3 match ban is upheld.

Thought Jay was having a good game as well.  We're cursed I tell thee! ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #234: Dec 05, 2011 10:24:33 pm
      The main issue is that Jay/Lucas' position involves a lot of yellow cards/potential suspensions.

Obviously todays was ridiculous but it goes to show it can happen and we do need cover.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #235: Dec 05, 2011 10:25:07 pm
      We really do need a midfielder in January
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #236: Dec 05, 2011 10:39:03 pm
      I thought Jay passed the ball well and worked hard, but we gave away a sh*t ton of shots. Lucas was missed. Badly.

I was also baffled that Jonjo wasn't on the bench. Don't think this game was calling for him, but there were no central midfielders available from the bench.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #237: Dec 05, 2011 11:20:02 pm
      Hendo holding now for me hes dynamic with adam distributing

Not a fan of 3 man midfield for us just leaves us too short attacking.

Shelvey needs some sub runs to see what he can do and challenge adam for a starting spot
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #238: Dec 06, 2011 03:39:03 am
      Well this thread just got a whole lot more interesting.  Apologies to kevinho, but if I can hijack the thread for a little bit to pose some new questions.  If we're working under the assumption that Spearing will serve his three match ban (personally, I don't think he will - but the simple fact remains, we all saw how easy it is to earn yourself a red card) and such a scenario is not beyong the realms of possibility, nor is unreasonable to expect Spearing to be rested (or even injured) for some games and as such the discussion about such a scenario isn't crazy talk or anything like that.  Disregarding potential transfers in the January window (which given what little the club tell us, speculating too deeply into IS crazy talk), how should we set up our team to cope with the enforced changes?
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2011 04:27:02 am by vitez »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #239: Dec 06, 2011 11:00:49 am
      DOOM!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #240: Dec 06, 2011 11:38:13 am
      I wonder if Jay's red card will invoke the same hysterical, chest thumping nonsense that Rodwell's red did. Call me cynical.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #241: Dec 06, 2011 11:44:40 am
      I think Jay played pretty well in general but I can't imagine for a second that Fulham would have been able to play through the middle as much as they did last night if Lucas had been on the pitch.
      I'm guessing Jonjo will be the next to step up.

...or Kelly, anyone? Has pace, can tackle, can pass, can play either side or in the middle.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #242: Dec 06, 2011 11:48:04 am
      I think Jay played pretty well in general but I can't imagine for a second that Fulham would have been able to play through the middle as much as they did last night if Lucas had been on the pitch.
      I'm guessing Jonjo will be the next to step up.

...or Kelly, anyone?
      Interesting to see that Flanno played in CM against Wolves for the reserves.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #243: Dec 06, 2011 11:49:03 am
      I wrote Flanno at first and then thought,' hang on, Kelly could do that' ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #244: Dec 06, 2011 05:47:47 pm
      I think Coates would be good there too!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #245: Dec 06, 2011 06:15:33 pm
      So Flanno has played two games in a row as a CM then? Interesting.

If Jay's ban is upheld (and I'm guessing this one will be; not for any reason, just that it will be), I'm wondering if we will see 5 at the back (2 wingbacks) and Adam and Hendo as our CMs. Helps with cover a bit and we can be stronger through the middle. Potential solution there.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #246: Dec 06, 2011 06:53:02 pm
      Four options I'd guess.

1) promote a youngster - worked wonders with Flanagan last season.

2) give Carra or Agger a shot there - a risk still as neither have played centre mid lately. If it's Agger then we break up a solid CB partnership and if it's Carra then there will be big questions marks over his distribution.

3) just play Hendo and Adam - massive risk as I think it leaves the midfield really light. But it's QPR on Saturday so we could go out and just try and outscore them like 4-2 or something (not confident of this at all as we are F***ing sh*te in front of goal)

4) play Hendo and Adam but get 3 centre backs in there - as said above, it would offer us a bit more solidity in the middle and could allow Agger to push up and distribute the ball. Also allows Enrique and Johnson license to bomb forward.

Honestly have no idea what we'll go for. Thank F**k I'm not manager.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #247: Dec 06, 2011 06:56:11 pm
      So Flanno has played two games in a row as a CM then? Interesting.

If Jay's ban is upheld (and I'm guessing this one will be; not for any reason, just that it will be), I'm wondering if we will see 5 at the back (2 wingbacks) and Adam and Hendo as our CMs. Helps with cover a bit and we can be stronger through the middle. Potential solution there.

Three or five at the back could be in Kenny's thinking and although I'm not against playing one of the young players a change in formation could be the best option.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #248: Dec 07, 2011 02:04:50 pm
      We're f*ck*d.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #249: Feb 09, 2012 09:50:42 pm
      Few stats regarding us with and without Lucas this year, though looking at it'd probably be fairer after two more games. But here goes anyway.

Before the Lucas injury we kept 5 clean sheets out of the 17 games = 29%
      Since the Lucas injury we've kept 7 clean sheets out of the 15 games = 46%

Before the Lucas injury we scored 23 goals in the 17 games = 1.35 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've scored 21 goals in the 15 games = 1.40 per game

Before the Lucas injury we conceded 14 goals in the 17 games = 0.82 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've conceded 13 goals in the 15 games = 0.86 per game

We won 10 of the 17 before Lucas got injured = 58%
      We've won 7 of the 15 since Lucas got injured = 46%

So we've scored slightly more per game since his injury, conceding slightly more per game since his injury, have a much higher percentage of clean sheets since his injury but a much lower percentage of actual wins since he got injured. And maybe that just goes to show how bollocks stats can be.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #250: Feb 09, 2012 11:40:02 pm
      Few stats regarding us with and without Lucas this year, though looking at it'd probably be fairer after two more games. But here goes anyway.

Before the Lucas injury we kept 5 clean sheets out of the 17 games = 29%
      Since the Lucas injury we've kept 7 clean sheets out of the 15 games = 46%

Before the Lucas injury we scored 23 goals in the 17 games = 1.35 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've scored 21 goals in the 15 games = 1.40 per game

Before the Lucas injury we conceded 14 goals in the 17 games = 0.82 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've conceded 13 goals in the 15 games = 0.86 per game

We won 10 of the 17 before Lucas got injured = 58%
      We've won 7 of the 15 since Lucas got injured = 46%

So we've scored slightly more per game since his injury, conceding slightly more per game since his injury, have a much higher percentage of clean sheets since his injury but a much lower percentage of actual wins since he got injured. And maybe that just goes to show how bollocks stats can be.

Agreed. I think everyone can agree that we haven't moved the ball as well without Lucas, and maybe haven't fashioned as many chances. We've also been without Suarez for a large portion of these games as well. I think we've also set out a bit more defensively in terms of our midfield without him, and that has hurt our attacking play (though by no means in the goals department, although in the first half of the season with Lucas we couldn't avoid hitting the post or the keeper, and that seems to have dropped a tad).
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #251: Feb 10, 2012 12:33:26 am
      Over the last couple of years,Lucas to his credit has filled the gap left by Mascherano.His commitment is un-equievecable,he is a talented footballer,and he has become the focus of our midfield,in the absence of Gerrard.My belief going forward,is that with Adam and Henderson,that is our midfield trio,in the short term.The "next-Gen" is already with us,like it or not.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #252: Feb 10, 2012 12:58:11 am
      Over the last couple of years,Lucas to his credit has filled the gap left by Mascherano.His commitment is un-equievecable,he is a talented footballer,and he has become the focus of our midfield,in the absence of Gerrard.My belief going forward,is that with Adam and Henderson,that is our midfield trio,in the short term.The "next-Gen" is already with us,like it or not.

Lucas has undoubtedly filled the gap left by Masch and has quickly evolved into one of the best defensive midfielders not only in the League, but in all of Europe as well. His ability to keep possession is impeccable, he makes rational challenges and usually gets them right, he's hardly got any kind of temper, but still plays with the passion of Masch, and his ability to disable attacks before they reach our back four is unparalleled.

Our midfield has definitely lacked that extra bit of control he provided throughout his absence and it seems like our build-up play has suffered as a result of it, all in all we haven't performed as poorly as I thought we would "sans-Lucas", but our overall play and movement as a unit was much better with him than without.

Quick Reply