Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield

Read 19983 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Reply #253: Feb 10, 2012 02:58:28 am
      Few stats regarding us with and without Lucas this year, though looking at it'd probably be fairer after two more games. But here goes anyway.

Before the Lucas injury we kept 5 clean sheets out of the 17 games = 29%
      Since the Lucas injury we've kept 7 clean sheets out of the 15 games = 46%

Before the Lucas injury we scored 23 goals in the 17 games = 1.35 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've scored 21 goals in the 15 games = 1.40 per game

Before the Lucas injury we conceded 14 goals in the 17 games = 0.82 per game
      Since the Lucas injury we've conceded 13 goals in the 15 games = 0.86 per game

We won 10 of the 17 before Lucas got injured = 58%
      We've won 7 of the 15 since Lucas got injured = 46%

So we've scored slightly more per game since his injury, conceding slightly more per game since his injury, have a much higher percentage of clean sheets since his injury but a much lower percentage of actual wins since he got injured. And maybe that just goes to show how bollocks stats can be.

I highly enjoyed the last line of this post.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #254: Feb 19, 2012 10:39:25 pm
      17 before Lucas got injured, 17 after Lucas got injured

Since the Lucas injury we've kept 7 clean sheets out of the 17 games = 41%

Since the Lucas injury we've scored 28 goals in the 17 games = 1.64 per game

Since the Lucas injury we've conceded 16 goals in the 17 games = 0.94 per game

We've won 8 of the 17 since Lucas got injured = 47%

Has it been as big a miss as people thought?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #255: Feb 19, 2012 10:47:16 pm

I think these are the 2 vital stats.

Stats aside its a definite yes we have mised him

1st stat may be only a 2 goal difference but tha could be an extra 4 points on the board
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2012 10:59:08 pm by Brian78 »
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #256: Feb 19, 2012 10:52:25 pm
      17 before Lucas got injured, 17 after Lucas got injured

Since the Lucas injury we've kept 7 clean sheets out of the 17 games = 41%

Since the Lucas injury we've scored 28 goals in the 17 games = 1.64 per game

The stats say no, but the stats don't tell us if the rest of the team have improved.

The stats also don't tell us whether: if Lucas was not injured and was still playing week in week out, would those stats be even better?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #257: Feb 19, 2012 11:09:33 pm
       He's developed into a better player than many of us thought he would, of that there's no argument. Equally though IMHO, there's no argument that people go way over the top about the lad and his input. He's a good player, nothing more and nothing less.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #258: Feb 19, 2012 11:12:12 pm
      He's developed into a better player than many of us thought he would, of that there's no argument. Equally though IMHO, there's no argument that people go way over the top about the lad and his input. He's a good player, nothing more and nothing less.

Disagree, on his form when he got injured and on the form of all our central midfielders now, he's our best in that position in my opinion.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #259: Feb 19, 2012 11:15:34 pm
      Disagree, on his form when he got injured and on the form of all our central midfielders now, he's our best in that position in my opinion.

He's the best out and out holding midfielder we've got, the other one we have is Spearing and he's a better player than Jay. The question always is whether or not we need an out and out holding midfielder. When we don't, the doubts about Lucas and his negligable influence from an attacking sense will always remain.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #260: Feb 20, 2012 05:37:24 am

This sounds like someone answering one of your posts on the Charlie Adam thread. ;)

As for DLS's stats, IMO they just show what you want to see, as most stats do really.

In the 17 games without Lucas, I've seen on many occasions periods of play, even the majority of a couple of matches, where his solidity and cover for our other midfielders and full backs has been sorely missed.

In his absence, I think we've had difficulty adapting to his loss. Spearing has proven to be decent cover, but certainly not nearly the same standard as Lucas.

I think credit to the rest of the team is due for pulling out some good results, but for me, when he's fully fit, he's straight back into the side.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #261: Feb 20, 2012 05:41:12 am
      This sounds like someone answering one of your posts on the Charlie Adam thread. ;)

As for DLS's stats, IMO they just show what you want to see, as most stats do really.

In the 17 games without Lucas, I've seen on many occasions periods of play, even the majority of a couple of matches, where his solidity and cover for our other midfielders and full backs has been sorely missed.

In his absence, I think we've had difficulty adapting to his loss. Spearing has proven to be decent cover, but certainly not nearly the same standard as Lucas.

I think credit to the rest of the team is due for pulling out some good results, but for me, when he's fully fit, he's straight back into the side.

Having him in there right now with the 3-pronged strike force we saw today I think is what Kenny had envisioned since last summer. Adam is trying but having Lucas in there would allow Gerrard to venture and do the things he does best instead of helping Charlie out. Next year when recovered I expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet again.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #262: Feb 20, 2012 08:38:53 am
      So our stats with Lucas in the team are similar to our stats with Gerrard coming back into the team.
      Spearing has done well as needed.
      Gerrard, Adam and Hendo for the smaller clubs.
      He's our best DM, but we have a good squad now.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #263: Feb 20, 2012 12:13:22 pm
      I think a front 6 like this can cause mayhem against the smaller clubs who we find too hard to  break down

Carroll

Downing  Suarez  Bellamy

Gerrard  Adam

Quick Reply