Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Xbox 360 - Red Ring Of Death

Read 3789 times
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Xbox 360 - Red Ring Of Death
      Sep 01, 2009 09:17:23 pm
      Whacked on the Xbox today, started playing COD and the game freezes. Doesnt usually happen with online play so I turned it off and turned it back on.
      BAM! Red ring of death.
      Went on to Microsoft to check the warranty, which by my luck, has expired.
      Anyone got any idea how much they charge for a repair?
      A dont want to put in credit card details without knowing the price.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Re: Xbox 360 - Red Ring Of Death
      Reply #1: Sep 01, 2009 09:54:00 pm
      Even if your warranty has expired, if you get a red ring on your xbox and send it off to microsoft to be fixed (if you haven't done it before) they will do it for free, it's their policy. My boyfriend had the same thing happen to him a few months ago and got it fixed for nothing.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2009 09:55:09 pm
      Whacked on the Xbox today, started playing COD and the game freezes. Doesnt usually happen with online play so I turned it off and turned it back on.
      BAM! Red ring of death.
      Went on to Microsoft to check the warranty, which by my luck, has expired.
      Anyone got any idea how much they charge for a repair?
      A dont want to put in credit card details without knowing the price.
      Any help would be appreciated.

I had the E-74 error and they siad it would cost £70 to repair :/
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2009 10:04:35 pm
      Save yourself the money mate get technical....

Permanent RROD Repair guide xbox 360
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #4: Sep 02, 2009 04:10:24 am
      RROD is free because its a Microsoft fault, even if its out of warranty.
      Although... you do have to pay P&H
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      Reply #5: Sep 02, 2009 10:39:44 am
      Whats the towel trick all about?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Sep 02, 2009 10:41:18 am
      It over heats the system, but is only a temporary fix and over use of it melts a chip inside thus rendering your x-box useless.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Sep 02, 2009 10:45:49 am
      I followed a guide similar to the one I posted when I had my X-box and it had the red ring of death and it worked %100 spot on ever after with no problems at all. took me about 45 minutes to an hour to do it and was well worth as had I sent it away I'd have been with out my X-box for a while and then when it came back teh chances were it would only do it again. Just bear in mind doing it voids your warranty.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      Reply #8: Sep 02, 2009 10:51:27 am
      I think your best bet is to look around the market and see if anyone can fix your xbox they usually do it at a much lower price then mircrosoft
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Sep 02, 2009 12:45:12 pm
      They did it for free for me!!!!!!!!!!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #10: Sep 02, 2009 12:50:35 pm
      There's a company in Middlesboro which I used for repairs. I didnt have the red ring but had a problem with the xbox not reading any discs, they did a service for £50 and alls been fine since. Turnaround was around four days from what I remember.

Sorry no web link but here's their info. Give them a ring and see what they advise.

Good Luck  ;)

AD Computers
      392 Newport road
      Middlesbrough
      tel 01642 221631
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Sep 02, 2009 01:01:07 pm
      There's a company in Middlesboro which I used for repairs. I didnt have the red ring but had a problem with the xbox not reading any discs, they did a service for £50 and alls been fine since. Turnaround was around four days from what I remember.

Sorry no web link but here's their info. Give them a ring and see what they advise.

Good Luck  ;)

AD Computers
      392 Newport road
      Middlesbrough
      tel 01642 221631

£50 quid?  Robbing swines!

I'm out of warrantee and my Xbox is having a problem reading discs (lining up a PS3 as a replacement) but all it is is dust around the lens!  There's even a tutorial Youtube video showing you where to open it up and where to clean!

(HQ)The Original "Return to Box 360 Disk Read Error Fix"
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Sep 02, 2009 02:07:41 pm
      Last time I had the red ring of death, I'd just completed a 4 mile run, so I gently applied some Vaseline and I was ok the next morning  :f_tongueincheek:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #13: Nov 30, 2011 08:58:11 pm
      I got a 360 for free because it had the RROD.... It took me 90 minutes, beginning to end to fix it and it works fine.

If you do the CORRECT fix and not any of the BS "tricks" then it will work fine. Before you apply the final fix, you need to "Reflow" the boards, it cuts down on approx. 75% of return problems.

I work for myself in IT Repair and Networking and fixing RROD is a big part of my business right now. I am also getting into IPod / IPhone repairs.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,538 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #14: Dec 01, 2011 02:44:47 pm
      Its free, mine was 1 year over warranty and they came and picked it up, fixed it and brung it back within a week.

Also, is it the old 360? I recommend getting one of the newer models if you can, a lot more reliable, same with PS3, the fats always dies, so had to get a slim. Wish consoles lasted like they used to, I've  had the same PS2 since launch and still running strong.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Dec 02, 2011 09:08:13 am
      Its free, mine was 1 year over warranty and they came and picked it up, fixed it and brung it back within a week.

Also, is it the old 360? I recommend getting one of the newer models if you can, a lot more reliable, same with PS3, the fats always dies, so had to get a slim. Wish consoles lasted like they used to, I've  had the same PS2 since launch and still running strong.

I've gone through two 350s & five PS2s, but my SNES and spectrum are still going strong.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #16: Dec 03, 2011 05:17:16 am

Yeah, the one I got was 2006 mfg date. But it was free and its works great now. 

You were lucky on the repair time. So far most repairs take 4-6 weeks from Microsoft and Its not always free.  Microsoft only extended the warranty an additional 3 years. The RROD effects the majority of the 360's from the first generation all the way up the last generation.  The only generation which is guaranteed not to get the RROD is the current, new wifi version and the so called "Guarantee"  is from Microsoft.  Even when Microsoft said they fixed it with a new board and chip set they were still failing.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #17: Dec 03, 2011 12:44:27 pm
      Yeah, the one I got was 2006 mfg date. But it was free and its works great now. 

You were lucky on the repair time. So far most repairs take 4-6 weeks from Microsoft and Its not always free.  Microsoft only extended the warranty an additional 3 years. The RROD effects the majority of the 360's from the first generation all the way up the last generation.  The only generation which is guaranteed not to get the RROD is the current, new wifi version and the so called "Guarantee"  is from Microsoft.  Even when Microsoft said they fixed it with a new board and chip set they were still failing.
      My XBox got the RROD about two years ago (I had had it for about 18 months before it occurred). Contacted Microsoft via the internet and they sent a courier round to collect it. I had it back within 10 days (which is pretty good considering where I live) all fixed and have not had a problem with it since.

Now obviously I wish the problem had not happened in the first place but, I must say that I was very happy with how they sorted it out.

Quick Reply