Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool FC Strike Force

Read 13498 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool FC Strike Force
      Reply #69: Dec 06, 2011 11:02:33 pm
      Admittedly, at 22, I never saw him play or anything Billy, but from everything I've read on him, the general consensus seems to be that he never fitted in with the Liverpool philosophy and style of play. Did Shanks himself not say as much in his autobiography? Off hand I can't remember exactly what he said about him, but I think it was something along those lines?

From what I remember, Shanks said that we normally expected Thompson and Callaghan to score 7 goals apiece in a season, but because they were taking the easy option of crossing the ball for Hateley they had only scored 5 between them. He was right too, the following season after Hateley had been sold Thompson and Callaghan both scored 8 goals apiece. 
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #70: Dec 06, 2011 11:15:20 pm
      Id throw any money we had at getting RVP I think he would be a great player to have in the team. He would well pay for himself over a few seasons, would love to see him and Suarez play together.  Comolli has been at a lot of Arsenals games too I recon we will be taking someone in off them in January.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #71: Dec 06, 2011 11:28:20 pm
      That tw*t Torres would ave been a perfect foil for Suarez and we would probably be at least 2 right now in PL. He would have been banging goals in left & right. I am sure he would have enjoyed his football & got his hunger back for the game under Kenny.

Instead that sh|thead decides to play in blue to get CL football & all he gets is 7 here and 9 minutes there.What happens then is we end up with Carroll. Quite simply we don't play to his strength - end of.

We could do with a goal scorer in January for sure - someone in the mould of Owen (sorry to se him but he would still be better than Carroll).
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #72: Dec 06, 2011 11:46:45 pm
      I think we really should try and get Anelka, age is not a problem as we can see with Bellamy and we just desperately need a natural goalscorer...
      No point in wasting another tens of millions on "proven" Premiership players like Pavlyuchenko and the like... Get Anelka, bring someone in his early twenties with a good goalscoring record and knack for doing the unexpected from South America and demote Carroll to the reserves. Done and dusted
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #73: Dec 07, 2011 01:18:19 pm
      Like Ive said on the Carroll Suarez thread. We haven't got a strike force.
      We have one genius player that means if he gets injured we finish the same as last year or even worse in the table.

We did have a two man team   Torres and Stevie.

Now we have a one man team.

Like Spurs.  We need four recognised PL quality strikers we can rotate ......and we just ain't got them.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011 02:00:13 pm by eurored »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #74: Dec 07, 2011 02:17:36 pm
      well I think we could do well by recalling Pacheco who I'm not sure has actually started a game, and I don't know if we can get him from Atletico with the three way deal technicalities but bring him back and somebody for the midfield maybe the young Sissoko or Yaan M'Vila (excuse spelling). someone to sit along side Spearing, Adam or Gerrard. worry about next season when it comes as we need a quality midfield and team now to qualify and gel for the CL!

a new young central midfielder is a must for me. someone with some attacking sense who that can comepete for hardness and defensive capabilities with Lucas. don't think we can finish in an acceptable position with Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Shelvey and poor Stevie in and out. one more strong youngster can help hold the midfield for the season.

team play going forward, attacking play, scoring urgency needs to improve - not frantically but thoroughly, players should be confident to shoot and confident to combine with anyone around them. Suarez should not be a focal point but more of a part of an attacking front four which may well include the little man up top, or perhaps big Andy or Dani Pacheco or Dirk Kuyt. all players mentioned (except Andy) and Bellamy Downing Maxi Shevey etc. are the core of our scoring, creation comes from anyone from Adam to Enrique Johnson or Pepe and we need to show we are alert and not too dependent on Luis or Carroll..

I wish Hoilett was realistic but with Blackburns probable fight maybe not. Next season we must add him and a striker to our team. but that is next season......

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #75: Dec 07, 2011 03:24:36 pm
      Problem is that none of our top 4 rivals are going to sell us a clinical finisher for anywhere near a reasonable price in January.  If we go for a "Prem proven" finisher, we are going to end up paying the same amount that we could get a world class foreign player for....
      Its a good point you raise Harry,whatever way Kenny decides to go it's not gonna be cheap by any means, offering a regular slot week in week out could prove irresistable to someone like Defoe, he could be persuaded to deliver a transfer request to force thru a move, there's not much difference between us and Spuds so its not as if he will miss out massively,

neither club have European football and both are striving for it next season, the difference being he would play regularly at Anfield instead of periodically with Spuds, i'm not sure about his wage structure at the moment but cant see it being that much of a difference and could well increase coming North,

Defoe would be a good acqiusition whether it happens is anyones guess to be fair, but he does tick all the boxes for me.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #76: Dec 07, 2011 03:50:55 pm
      bent wouldn't leave so soon in january, drogba's a big no for me on account of him being a huge c**t. anelka, not sure tbh, too old, and wouldn't buy a flea from spurs, the greedy c***s double the price every time.

tevez is not a bad shout. he f***ed united over and now he's f***ing city over, clearly hates both of those clubs which makes me like him by default ;)
      to get a decent deal though we'd have to go abroad. guiseppe rossi, llorente, thomas muller, edinson cavani (gotta be ambitious) are all worth getting the cheque book out for. slightly cheaper choices could be remy of marseille, gameiro of psg's young and doing well, mertens of psv or wolfswinkel of sporting cp looks very promising at a young age.

always tricky to buy in january though, never a good time.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #77: Dec 07, 2011 04:33:46 pm
      ^ Rossi is out with a bad knee injury.  I think his season is over, but he may be back sometime in 2012.  Either way, would be a gamble.  Van Wolfswinkle and Gameiro both just transferred over the summer, so they cannot go to a new team until next summer.  I can't see any of Llorente, Mueller, Cavani, or Remy being allowed to leave in January.

I think rather than just looking for new strikers, we should be asking ourselves how we can get the best out of the ones that we currently have.  Like many others, I feel that we are in need of a good attacking wide player for the RW.  I've just read a report this morning that Jose Reyes is on the verge of a switch to Galatasary for about 3.5M quid.  I would love to have Reyes in our side.  He is fast, good on the ball, plays intelligently, and can score and create.  He may be a player who could help us get the best out of Suarez and/or Carrol and/or Bellamy and/or Kuyt.  I even think that Adam would benefit by him being in the team as Reyes likes to make runs behind the defense, so he could latch onto some of Charlie's Hollywood balls over the top from midfield. 

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/993547/galatasaray-claim-deal-for-atletico%27s-jose-antonio-reyes-is-close?cc=5901
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #78: Dec 07, 2011 05:13:32 pm
      good points well made harry, clearly more up to speed with what's going on than i am.

not sure about reyes, he never settled in england propoerly, was his reason for leaving so too much of a gamble. if we were to buy in january, it should be a stop gap solution, like a loan or something. otherwise, i'd agree it's too much of a gamble. might as well give bellamy an extended run out with suarez.

didn't carra play as a striker many moons ago? he's gotta be more nimble than caroll these days ;)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #79: Dec 07, 2011 05:14:56 pm
      Saurez is losing his passion for the game, he is emotionally drained from all the bad referee calls, fans getting on his case. Dont feel he has the right support from the team, think if he was with chelsea or spurs he would have about 11 goals now.   
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #80: Dec 07, 2011 05:18:23 pm
      Saurez is losing his passion for the game, he is emotionally drained from all the bad referee calls, fans getting on his case. Dont feel he has the right support from the team, think if he was with chelsea or spurs he would have about 11 goals now.   

This is the most ridiculous post I've read in a long time!!!  Did you see him on Monday night?!  I'll admit he looks frustrated at times, but to say he is losing his passion for the game is F***ing ludicrous!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #81: Dec 07, 2011 05:25:08 pm

think you're way off the mark, i haven't seen a player with his kind of childish passion for football in a long time. he gets frustrated and shouts and whinges and screams because he loves every minute of it. he wants to play every minute of every game and gets in a huff if things dont go his way. we're lucky to have him.

and when he scores, gotta love that buck toothed smile :)
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #82: Dec 07, 2011 05:25:44 pm

So one of our players would be better off with Chelsea or Spurs. Your support of our team is amazing.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #83: Dec 07, 2011 05:29:13 pm
      Alot of bollox being talked here esp about suarez. He hasnt been as effective the last few games and made some terrible decisions, charlie adam and bellers hav been our most creative players the last few games. Suarez is awesome but seriously lacking confidence infront of goal for some reason he panics. Carroll takes way too much of the blame against fulham he done well and was unlucky not to score. Again its confidence. Whats to say a defoe or another proven prem striker wont lose form if we sign them like carroll did (who was the in form striker this time last season) because of the pressure of playing for us. Theres no easy solution to our goalscoring problem but a fit and hungry stevie g would certainly help. Im confident it will click up front for us we need to be patient and support the lads not moan and groan. Wer playing well and sooner or later we will start scoring.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #84: Dec 07, 2011 06:11:55 pm
      not sure about reyes, he never settled in england propoerly, was his reason for leaving so too much of a gamble.

Yeah, that would be the issue.  He did well while at Arsenal (113 total appearances - 25 of those as a substitute; 23 goals; and 26 assists), but he seemingly didn't adapt to life in England and pushed for a move back to Spain.  However, he is older now and more mature.  If he is supposedly ready to uproot and move to Turkey, then maybe he would be willing to give England a second chance.  At a cost of 4M, he would represent a very good bargain in my opinion. 

Either way, I think this is the type of player we need to be looking at - a playmaker who operates predominantly in a wide position.  I have no doubt that Suarez, Kuyt, Bellamy, and Carrol can put the ball in the back of the net, but perhaps the supporting cast isn't really playing in such a way that will coax the best out of them.... I believe the imminent return of captain fantastic will help with this as well!
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #85: Dec 07, 2011 08:32:07 pm
      Defoe all day long.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #86: Dec 07, 2011 08:55:53 pm
      Would giving Morgan a little run be a good idea!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #87: Dec 08, 2011 03:42:43 pm
      Aston Villa bought Bent for well over the market rate to keep themselves out of the relegation zone.
      Their continued Premier league status and the income generated far outweighs the cost of acquiring him.
      Thats good business.

Suarez would probably relax his game and be sticking them away if the pressure wasn't on his shoulders and he had another striker up front banging them in.
      Pressure and expectation.

redsordie27
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts |
      Reply #88: Dec 08, 2011 03:51:05 pm
      once gerrard is back in the side the whole team will play differently and lively.  We have 1 world class striker in Suarez and we need to have a good rotation like that of Chelsea or Tottenham. We need to add another great player such as Barrios or Podolski and then youth in Zaha or Vargas.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #89: Dec 08, 2011 03:57:11 pm
      And when exactly will that be because the latest rumour about Gerrard is it will be after January at the earliest
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #90: Dec 08, 2011 08:59:41 pm
      It's sad to even take into consideration loaning out a £35M buy.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #91: Dec 08, 2011 09:38:05 pm
      im one of those who really likes carroll, hes young strong and just needs time. im also hugely disapointed with kenny, and this is why. if you are playing carroll you have to play downing. there is no point playing the ball to him hoping he can play a little shimmy and then lay off and go. that will come in time. for now with downings crossing ability we should use carrolls strengths and get him attacking the ball on his front foot. also why pay £20m for downing and hardly play him. 2 man off the match performances for england then sat on the bench for us. we paid the money for them both so lets use them for what we paid for, we can still do the pass and move everywhere else on the pitch but we need goals so we got to change tactics a little before theres a chance we will never be able to catch up !

Quick Reply