Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel)

Read 11897 times
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel)
      Dec 09, 2011 06:11:42 pm
      Wednesday night's man of the match performance from FC Basel star Xherdan Shaqiri firmly put him on the Barclays Premier League radar with Liverpool eager to bring the attacking midfielder to England in January.

The 20-year-old provided the assist for both Basel goals against Manchester United which saw them progress to the latter stages of the competition and many pundits believe that his performance last night was a 'come and get me' plea from the Swiss international who has shown in recent game why he is destined for great things.

Basel are resigned to losing him when the transfer window re-opens, and Liverpool hope to take advantage and beat a whole host of clubs including Manchester City and Barcelona.

It's thought that Shaqiri has a desire to play in the Barclays Premier League though Barcelona hope to persuade the player to join them in Spain, but Liverpool are thought to be offering the promise of first-team football which could sway the youngster's decision.

Basel are believed to be holding out for around £15 million, however, with more clubs becoming interested at a fast rate, Basel could demand more for the player.

Source: Footylatest

After his performance against United and previous links to a move to us from last year. Do you think we should get him?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel)
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2011 06:25:53 pm
      Admit I didn't like him, although watching the U-21 Euros this summer turned me on to his skill. I didn't see him against the Manc sh*te but by all accounts he was class.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2011 06:34:06 pm
      Id take him. Price is everything though. Similar type to Silva and Mata
      Bier
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2011 06:45:04 pm
      Only thing that raises doubt with me, is that he isn't very productive in the swiss league. Basel is the best swiss team too, first in the league. For a player to be good enough for us, I'd kind of expect him to be producing goals and assists all over the place.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2011 06:58:10 pm
      I think i might be alone here but i don't quite see what's so special about him? He had a decent game but he didn't really impress me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Dec 09, 2011 08:27:50 pm
      I think i might be alone here but i don't quite see what's so special about him? He had a decent game but he didn't really impress me.

Nah, you ain't alone he was all action and movement but very little else, no end product and a sh*te right peg. Who knows tho'; with a bit of work he might improve. Not for me, I'm afraid tho'.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #6: Dec 09, 2011 08:45:35 pm

Agreed mate, couple of times I felt the other night he held onto the ball too much when a pass was on or as we called them when we were younger a "ball greedy b***ard"
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Dec 09, 2011 09:36:42 pm
      Or "glory hunting b***ard" if you will.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Dec 09, 2011 09:55:02 pm
      Did he not make both goals bit much to say he has no end product. Only problem i have is his physique. Technically he has a lot of talent
      Haris
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Dec 09, 2011 09:58:36 pm
      Id take him. Price is everything though. Similar type to Silva and Mata

And we need play like these two!

Shaqiri is class, and had a excellent performance against scum. He would be a magnificent buy in my opinion!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Dec 10, 2011 01:16:07 am
      He was greedy at times, but then he may think he needs to be with Basel, especially when playing United with the world watching. Eager to impress and all that.

He is also very left pegged, runs around the ball a lot just to get on his left foot, which is a negative.

I do however like him, and think he has a lot potential, certainly worth a place at a bigger European club IMO.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Dec 10, 2011 01:28:44 am
      Maradona was one footed. His right leg was for standing on. Okay not a great comparsion. I said during the Fulham match we were missing a number ten. This lad could do a job for us he is a lot better than some think.  I first took notice of him last summer at the euros after tiago and martinez he was the best player there.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Dec 10, 2011 01:31:35 am
      Would of been well worth the 5m in the summer. Not sure he's worth anymore than 8-10 like I said elsewhere
      adidas
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 10, 2011 01:35:30 am
      We should fast track stirling into that place instead, after all it worked for owen...sorry for swearing on here.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Dec 10, 2011 01:39:35 am
      Sterling is currently struggling in the reserves.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Dec 10, 2011 01:51:29 am

Yup, been a disappointing season so far for Raheem, add Suso into that as well so cannot see them breaking into the first team any time soon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #16: Dec 10, 2011 01:53:10 am

Haven't watched them for a while, but could it be a case of burnout due to appearing for the England Youth in mexico during the summer.
      Bier
      Reply #17: Dec 10, 2011 01:53:12 am
      But seeing his production in the swiss league, if he'd join us his production would probably intially halve, think that's a fair thing to assume. And that would mean he wouldn't make an immediate impact, or probably not even start for us. He'll need at least 1 or 2 seasons. Not sure if that's the type of player we need right now, and for that money also.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Dec 10, 2011 01:59:52 am
      Id take him for ten million i think a playmarker number ten is exactly what we need to take the burden off Suarez for having to create everything
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Dec 10, 2011 02:03:37 am
      Haven't watched them for a while, but could it be a case of burnout due to appearing for the England Youth in mexico during the summer.
      ya still only 16 still has a lot of developing to do
      Bier
      Reply #20: Dec 10, 2011 02:06:25 am
      Id take him for ten million i think a playmarker number ten is exactly what we need to take the burden off Suarez for having to create everything
      But he plays on the wing for Basel doesnt he?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Dec 10, 2011 02:18:30 am
      He looked fairly central the other night when i watched him at them euros it was in a central role
      Bier
      Reply #22: Dec 10, 2011 02:26:26 am
      Them euros? I just know he always plays on the right wing for Basel. He switches to the other side aswell, but Basel don't play with a 10 position. They play with 2 strikers, 2 wingers and 2 central more controlling midfielders.

To be honest, just from what I've seen of him he doesn't seem the playmaker type, not for a big club anyway. He doesn't exactly produce many assists either in the swiss league. Doesn't seem to have that abbility to read the game and have vision and brilliant passing. He's more the type to just dribble with the ball, make an action and end up with a shot or a cross.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011 02:45:11 am by Bier »

Quick Reply