Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel)

Read 11883 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel)
      Reply #23: Dec 10, 2011 02:45:25 am
      More than capable of playing the role. He was more central the other night.  Im talking about the u-21s last summer.  I think he will end up playing a more central role when he gains more game intelligence. A bit like the way messi Silva and Mata all started in wide roles. I wouldn't buy him to play wide in a 4-4-2 but then that was on of the reasons not to buy Mata as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Dec 10, 2011 08:38:25 am
      Better youngsters to be had for 10m in my opinion. Rather get Diego who i believe is on a free at the end of this season? (yes i know he's not young but if Shaqiri is a 10, i'd rather Diego).
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Dec 10, 2011 12:37:16 pm
      Did Diego not join athletico last summer.  How is he doing with them.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #26: Dec 10, 2011 01:12:54 pm
      I think this lad could suit the english game perfectly. Hes a tank and very strong. Id like to see him here
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Dec 10, 2011 01:23:56 pm
      Sounds like an Indie Rock Band. \o/
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #28: Dec 11, 2011 12:50:05 am
      Did Diego not join athletico last summer.
      He is on loan.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #29: Dec 11, 2011 03:02:47 am
      Im tired of taking this guy for 10m, or that guy for 14, or another guy for 20 in hopes he comes good.. spend the money for a real player.  Spend on someone already proven and under 26 yrs old, make it happen, its the only way.  You buy 1 awesome player every window, that's all we really need to do.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #30: Dec 11, 2011 06:31:26 am
      Watched the game again this morning on replay. He honestly was nothing special. Nice few crosses but his game wasn't something to stand up and take notice of.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #31: Dec 11, 2011 08:14:07 am
      He will be too expensive for what he is worth since Basel will be asking a premium now that they have qualified to the knockout stages.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #32: Dec 11, 2011 11:21:48 am
      IMHO, I won't see he's leaving Basel during this January transfer windows.  Basel now is in last 16 of UCL.
      el-g-toni
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 468 posts | 49 
      • el-g-toni.blogspot.com
      Reply #33: Dec 12, 2011 03:59:01 pm
      el-g-toni
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 468 posts | 49 
      • el-g-toni.blogspot.com
      Reply #34: Dec 12, 2011 04:03:52 pm
      3 Tore von Xherdan Shaqiri ( Switzerland - Bulgaria 3-1 06.09.2011 )
      What a player...he is just 20...very talented player.
      el-g-toni
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 468 posts | 49 
      • el-g-toni.blogspot.com
      Reply #35: Dec 12, 2011 04:10:17 pm
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #36: Dec 14, 2011 03:58:18 am
      I can see a bit of Suarez in him in those videos.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Dec 14, 2011 11:16:34 pm
      Definitely has talent but get the feeling he enjoys being the big fish in a small pond and that he disappears far too often from what I've heard, certainly don't watch enough Basel football to have a strong negative feeling, just don't think he's right for us.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #38: Dec 20, 2011 02:39:27 am

UNITED TARGET NEW MESSI

20th December 2011
      By Jeremy Cross

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has joined arch-rivals Liverpool in the battle to sign Xherdan Shaqiri – the man dubbed the new Lionel Messi.

Shaqiri starred for Basel as they dumped Manchester United out of the Champions League earlier this month.

Now his reward could be a mega- money switch to Old Trafford as Fergie looks to bolster his midfield in next month’s transfer window.

Starsport understands United have sounded out his agent Ulisse Savini about a possible £10m switch to the Premier League champions.

Shaqiri, 20, has been likened to Messi following a string of impressive displays for Basel and Switzerland.

The creative midfielder, who was born in Kosovo, has a similar build to the Barcelona star and is also left-footed. He imp- ressed Fergie in both group games against United and is tipped to become one of the best players in Europe.

Liverpool have been tracking Shaqiri since Roy Hodgson was boss and Anfield director of football Damien Comolli has watched him several times.

Fergie is confident of landing him and can offer bigger wages, but Shaqiri is keen to help Basel progress in the Champions League knockout stages.

Fergie, who is also keen on Benfica’s Nicolas Gaitan and Ajax’s Christian Eriksen, might have to wait until the end of the season before clinching a deal.

The United boss insists he won’t be doing much busi- ness in the transfer window, but the loss of Darren Fletcher is a huge blow.

He will not panic buy, but knows Shaqiri would be a long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/226405/UNITED-TARGET-NEW-MESSI/
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #39: Dec 20, 2011 03:06:06 am
      UNITED TARGET NEW MESSI

20th December 2011
      By Jeremy Cross

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has joined arch-rivals Liverpool in the battle to sign Xherdan Shaqiri – the man dubbed the new Lionel Messi.

Shaqiri starred for Basel as they dumped Manchester United out of the Champions League earlier this month.

Now his reward could be a mega- money switch to Old Trafford as Fergie looks to bolster his midfield in next month’s transfer window.

Starsport understands United have sounded out his agent Ulisse Savini about a possible £10m switch to the Premier League champions.

Shaqiri, 20, has been likened to Messi following a string of impressive displays for Basel and Switzerland.

The creative midfielder, who was born in Kosovo, has a similar build to the Barcelona star and is also left-footed. He imp- ressed Fergie in both group games against United and is tipped to become one of the best players in Europe.

Liverpool have been tracking Shaqiri since Roy Hodgson was boss and Anfield director of football Damien Comolli has watched him several times.

Fergie is confident of landing him and can offer bigger wages, but Shaqiri is keen to help Basel progress in the Champions League knockout stages.

Fergie, who is also keen on Benfica’s Nicolas Gaitan and Ajax’s Christian Eriksen, might have to wait until the end of the season before clinching a deal.

The United boss insists he won’t be doing much busi- ness in the transfer window, but the loss of Darren Fletcher is a huge blow.

He will not panic buy, but knows Shaqiri would be a long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/226405/UNITED-TARGET-NEW-MESSI/

Wouldn't get too carried away with that, the Daily Star is more akin to a comic.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #40: Dec 20, 2011 03:57:15 am
      Wouldn't get too carried away with that, the Daily Star is more akin to a comic.

Lets not forget their replies to the emails supporting Rafa too.

United biased cu*ts.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #41: Dec 20, 2011 08:51:51 am

I know, but it is still a newspaper article. I post all the LFC transfer rumors from the papers (apart from the sh*t-rag, of course), so anyone can make a judgement for himself.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Dec 20, 2011 10:21:19 pm
      They can have him.

SAF knows how to pick wingers. Beckham and Ronaldo in 20 years. Well played. Shaqiri will be added to his 'miss' list.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Dec 20, 2011 10:39:03 pm
      New Messi? Not a chance, there is only one Messi!
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #44: Dec 21, 2011 02:22:05 am
      This kid is a beast! We have to go for him.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #45: Jan 16, 2012 06:37:41 pm
      Xherdan Shaqiri is on the verge of completing his transfer to Galatasaray for €8 million

Would of been a good signing for LFC, ah well - Win some.. Lose some

Pity we keep letting these type of players get away Super little player and a snip for 8 million euros.

Quick Reply