Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you have Torres back at Anfield for 20 Million?

Yes?
      104 (50.7%)
      No?
      101 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Fernando Torres (Chelsea)

Read 62850 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Fernando Torres (Chelsea)
      Reply #46: Dec 14, 2011 10:09:46 am
      I think if Kenny was to consider signing him back he would ask the players opinions.

People who were here when he was might feel betrayed. Torres thought he was moving on to bigger and better things and that the players at Liverpool were not good enough for him.

If the players were willing to accept him back so would the fans gradually. Who's to say it wont happen? But what would it mean for our big Geordie?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: Dec 14, 2011 10:11:40 am
      Take villa ahead of him myself
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #48: Dec 14, 2011 10:11:59 am
      I am sure if a poll was set up, a simple would you have Torres back at Liverpool in January, I am sure the answer would be a resounding No to the question.
      pool1976
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #49: Dec 14, 2011 10:12:14 am
      The only thing i know for sure is that nobody on here knows the facts behind torres leaving. We ALL loved him once upon a time and i think he may well realise that while athletico is home LFC is his football home and where he became the most feared striker in the world. Without LFC, Stevie g and the love of the kop (similar to the love he felt from athletico fans no doubt) he is just an average player. I for one would love to have him back and think he is more than capable of recapturing his old form particularly given suarez is a beast for assists. Will it happen..... unlikely but so was istanbul.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Dec 14, 2011 10:14:28 am
      Reason for me why it will never happen.

Daniel Agger elbow on Fernando Torres (Chelsea-Liverpool)

Torres swapped Anfield for Stamford Bridge on the final day of the January transfer window for a British record £50 million.

His first match for Chelsea was then a Premier League clash against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge, during which he was remorselessly booed by the away fans.

And Agger has stressed he, personally, would never have made such a switch.

He said: "I think it's unacceptable to play for one of Liverpool's rivals. For a Dane it is about having respect for the club you play at.

"I am proud to pull on my Liverpool jersey and will never go to another club in England."

I don't believe there will only be Agger that feels that way, Kenny, Comolli, Henry, Warner, other former team mates will probably feel betrayed by Torres and if that is indeed the case, it would only upset the harmony that Kenny has brought into the squad.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #51: Dec 14, 2011 10:17:23 am
      Would I have Torres back. Right now?
      Why?
      The Ferrari ain't performing and hasn't for some time. Is it psychological?  It has to be.
      He wasnt performing before he left .....so the problem started when he was with us and hasn't changed since.
      Perhaps he thought that the change to the Chavs would sort it .....but it hasnt.
      Something is in his head.
      He has mentioned "something happened" ... Hicks ? Gillett ? Benitez ? what?

What about the way he left us?
      Another MacManaman.  Another Owen.
      To leave us without a striker a couple of days before the end of the window and being royally shafted by the low life at the Toon for Carroll?   Forgiveable?
      No not really.
      He did it with one thought for himself.
      With Carroll misfiring we have still had only one form striker with Suarez a year on...and god knows what would happen re bans or injury
      to him.

The emotion wants him back with a chance to redeem himself.
      The head says that stupid.

Could always do an Owen. Pay as you play or better still. Pay as you score.    Neat.

All I will say is this.

In Kenny We Trust.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #52: Dec 14, 2011 10:18:07 am
      I don't believe there will only be Agger that feels that way, Kenny, Comolli, Henry, Warner, other former team mates will probably feel betrayed by Torres and if that is indeed the case, it would only upset the harmony that Kenny has brought into the squad.

This.

I'm pretty sure Kenny, Rush, perhaps even Gerrard and Carragher will look at Torres and just shake their heads in disappointment.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #53: Dec 14, 2011 10:22:57 am
      This.

I'm pretty sure Kenny, Rush, perhaps even Gerrard and Carragher will look at Torres and just shake their heads in disappointment.
      Michael Owen left us in the lurch in 2004. We got F**k all as he let his contract run down.

The next summer, Gerrard and Carra were begging Rafa to get him back. Gerrard plays so well with him. I'd nearly say of all players, Gerrard woud have him back.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #54: Dec 14, 2011 10:25:53 am
      Owen may have let his contract run down and left but I don't recall him backstabbing the club with his words. He never gave Rafa a chance either but he didn't exactly jump ship when things were going bad.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #55: Dec 14, 2011 10:28:06 am
      Could it be Chelsea are eyeing Villa up to line up with Torres and Mata ?

Chelsea & Liverpool hover as Barca 'list' David Villa

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/126189.html

David Villa has been tipped for a move to Chelsea or Liverpool after the lead story of Spanish publication Marca claimed Barcelona have put the striker up for sale on Wednesday.

Villa has fallen out of favour at Camp Nou, losing his place in the side for the recent Clasico against Real Madrid just weeks after reports of a fallout with Lionel Messi. Now it seems the European champions are ready to cut their losses on the man for whom they paid €40 million two years ago.

Marca leads with the headline "Barca open the door to Villa", before stating, "the Catalan club has put on the market the striker." The publication goes on to say Villa plans to move in the summer, but both Chelsea and Liverpool have more pressing concerns to boost their attacking options.

Chelsea are set to lose Didier Drogba to the African Cup of Nations and £50 million man Fernando Torres has looked a shadow of his former self in recent weeks. Indeed, a report in Wednesday's British papers claims Chelsea will try to offload the Spaniard for £20 million during the January window.

Liverpool have been linked with Villa for a while and are desperately in need of a partner for Luis Suarez. The £35 million acquisition of Andy Carroll, which ironically came as a result of the Torres deal, is simply not working out for the Anfield club.

Marca claims Villa's fate "seems to be one of the great English clubs, mainly Chelsea, Liverpool and Aston Villa. The Anfield club have shown much interest in his move, although its economic offer does not seem to [match] Chelsea."

Reds boss Kenny Dalglish refused to rule out the possibility of signing a striker on Tuesday, commenting: "Irrespective of what I say, it's not going to stop speculation we are going out in January to sign Joe Bloggs up front, or whoever. I don't need to say anything."
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #56: Dec 14, 2011 10:32:03 am
      Villa to us ain't Reina his best friend in a loan deal like zlatan to Milan with an option to buy
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Dec 14, 2011 10:36:04 am
      Villa to us ain't Reina his best friend in a loan deal like zlatan to Milan with an option to buy

Don't know mate, I just remember Torres pleading for us to buy Silva Mata and Villa, perhaps he's had words with AVB and/or Roman.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #58: Dec 14, 2011 11:01:05 am
      Don't know mate, I just remember Torres pleading for us to buy Silva Mata and Villa, perhaps he's had words with AVB and/or Roman.
      AVB does not seem the type to buy players because a £50million flop warming the bench wants them there.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #59: Dec 14, 2011 11:21:21 am
      Again I will say it's almost impossible Torres return. But there are reasons why it's not, and as people
      raise up millions reasons to explain why they don't want Torres back, I think some reason are funny...

1. Torres's not at his best of form  : I can't recall a player who play well every game throughout his career. Xabi Alonso's LFC supporters's favorite also hit his top form on his last season for us.

2. Torres a judas  : I read somewhere Reina mentioned in his book he requested several times to leave and Gerrard also about to join Chelsea people know this, their intention to leave despite they well know LFC need them are no different to what Torres did, imo.
      And I also remember Reina said LFC under H&G and Purslow did somethings forced Torres decide to leave so I don't think it's fair to say it's all Torres's problem. On the other hand people just blame Rafa for Alonso left.
      Anyway it's clear enough that no one clearly know what really happen at time Torres left.

3. Torres return will disrupt harmony : I think it's up to King Kenny, IF the King want him back he for sure can handle this kind of problem.

IMO, it's not easy to get a striker of Torres (in good form) quality for 20 millions in January and we desperate need someone who can score goal. I also happy think for fun that get him back for 20 millions means we bought AC for 5 millions :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #60: Dec 14, 2011 11:53:39 am
      Again I will say it's almost impossible Torres return. But there are reasons why it's not, and as people
      raise up millions reasons to explain why they don't want Torres back, I think some reason are funny...

1. Torres's not at his best of form  : I can't recall a player who play well every game throughout his career. Xabi Alonso's LFC supporters's favorite also hit his top form on his last season for us.

Difference is, Xabi Alonso and even Javier Mascherano knew they wanted to leave before their last season with Liverpool but they still put in a 110% when they played. Torres, in his last 6 months with us, just couldn't be arsed, looking highly disinterested when he was on the pitch.

2. Torres a judas  : I read somewhere Reina mentioned in his book he requested several times to leave and Gerrard also about to join Chelsea people know this, their intention to leave despite they well know LFC need them are no different to what Torres did, imo.
      And I also remember Reina said LFC under H&G and Purslow did somethings forced Torres decide to leave so I don't think it's fair to say it's all Torres's problem. On the other hand people just blame Rafa for Alonso left.
      Anyway it's clear enough that no one clearly know what really happen at time Torres left.

So many players have left. Babel, Fowler, Arbeloa, Alonso, Morientes, Garcia, Riise, Hyypia, Owen, Hamann but none spoke bad of the club. Owen was only judas when he joined the Mancs. I even remember, I think it was Garcia and Riise who wrote letters to the club and to us after they left. Torres' departure would have been better dealt with if he had shut his mouth.

We may not know why Torres left but I think his performances for Chelsea speak volumes. If he wanted to leave us because we were "going backwards", I'd assume he'd be playing well again at a club he claims to be bigger, with more professional players. But he isn't. I think that suggests his head is not right, IMO.

Xabi Alonso's case was different because he fell out with Rafa, IMO. Their relationship was still professional but Rafa had wanted to sell him to fund Gareth freaking Barry! Maybe Alonso wasn't at his best two seasons before that but he's always been an important part of the Liverpool team.

3. Torres return will disrupt harmony : I think it's up to King Kenny, IF the King want him back he for sure can handle this kind of problem.

IMO, it's not easy to get a striker of Torres (in good form) quality for 20 millions in January and we desperate need someone who can score goal. I also happy think for fun that get him back for 20 millions means we bought AC for 5 millions :)

Yes, it is up to Kenny to decide and what happens remain to be seen. I'm unsure of this, myself but I will see what happens. What if, things don't turn out well as Torres expected and he starts sulking again?

Also, there may be a possibility that his return may cause a division in the dressing room.
      Kieranlfc88
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #61: Dec 14, 2011 11:55:57 am
      Come back home Fernando!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #62: Dec 14, 2011 12:11:43 pm
      I imagine he'll want to go back to Spain... However I was talking to my mates about this and as much as I hated him for leaving I think once he pulls on the top again and is back amongst the goals he'll be forgiven. He said the same about Ronaldo coming back to United if it ever were to happen. You support the players in your teams shirt and if Fernando comes back then as a Liverpool fan I would feel wrong not supporting a playing in the shirt, even if the whole thing is a little tainted.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #63: Dec 14, 2011 12:15:26 pm
      We all know he can finish, just his confidence is gone to sh*t. The rumours like this won't help it either.

Think about it, for people who people say he has not been in for for the past 18 months, well if you think about it, he couldn't really. We all know that Torres's main asset was being able to exploit space and attack defenders. He done this to great extent during Rafa's reign, but not as much for Spain as they had the high line, and played with a slow build up. Much like Chelsea do now, thus not playing to his strengths, more try to accommodate him. And for Roy's reign, well do we need much of an explanation?!

For 20million, I'd take him back. Like I said in his player thread, if it's for the good of the team, then why not? Whatever happened to no one player being bigger than the team? Wouldn't this be in the same boat.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #64: Dec 14, 2011 12:20:08 pm
      We all know he can finish, just his confidence is gone to sh*t. The rumours like this won't help it either.

Think about it, for people who people say he has not been in for for the past 18 months, well if you think about it, he couldn't really. We all know that Torres's main asset was being able to exploit space and attack defenders. He done this to great extent during Rafa's reign, but not as much for Spain as they had the high line, and played with a slow build up. Much like Chelsea do now, thus not playing to his strengths, more try to accommodate him. And for Roy's reign, well do we need much of an explanation?!

For 20million, I'd take him back. Like I said in his player thread, if it's for the good of the team, then why not? Whatever happened to no one player being bigger than the team? Wouldn't this be in the same boat.

Spot on mate
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #65: Dec 14, 2011 01:47:07 pm
      Would I have Torres back. Right now?
      Why?
      The Ferrari ain't performing and hasn't for some time. Is it psychological?  It has to be.
      He wasnt performing before he left .....so the problem started when he was with us and hasn't changed since.

His attitude was definitely questionable, but he has never really stopped scoring for LFC. In his last "poor" 18 months with LFC, in between 2 knee operations and being managed by Roy Hodgson, Torres has scored 27 goals in 45 league appearances. If he can recapture that "poor" goalscoring form, with the number of chances we are creating at the moment, we will be a lock for a Champions League qualification, and maybe we could even consider bigger and better things.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #66: Dec 14, 2011 01:50:43 pm

Bang on about the slow build up and why he doesn't figure so well for Spain. Chelsea are similar in many ways in that they keep the ball but have always moved it fairly slowly and then looked to play off of Drogba's feet. they haven't figured out how to use him effectively.

I don't think there is much possibility of this ever happening myself. He is 27 now I believe? I don't see the board spending £20 million plus on any player (be they Torres or David Villa) over the age of 25. they've been quite clear on their buying policy so on those grounds alone I can't see it ever happening.

I disagree with those who say the players would not have him back though. Just because Danny Agger had a bit of a dig i wouldn't suggest players have anywhere near the depth of feeling about such things as the fans. You think the likes of Pepe or Stevie or Dirk hold it against Torres for leaving? I suspect they're all pretty good mates still. 

As for me, it's not something I particularly want. I didn't actually blame Torres for wanting out, I could see the reasons but I think he was poorly advised and I've never understood why he didn't speak to the fans about his reasons + give the unreserved thank-you that so many players give when they leave the club. He was the most idolised foreign player ever to play at the club and he didn't seem to appreciate that. Having said that, I do think that he and Suarez would make an excellent partnerhip and would have been VERY well suited.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #67: Dec 14, 2011 01:55:50 pm
      Having said what I said earlier....
      I once had a guy work for me.
      One day he came to see me and said "Im thinking of leaving".

I said "Dont think. If its in your head then you have to go. Youre not here 100%.
      Thing is. The door swings only one way."

He did leave and I gave him a brilliant reference.

Six months later he rang me up. Wanted to see me.

We had a meeting. He admitted that it had been a big mistake. An error of judgement.

I told him that some rules are there to be broken on an exception.

I took him back into the business. He had a permanent smile on his face and did well.

He had the guts to tell me he had got it wrong. Thats why I took him back.

If Torres came out with that  ... I for one would have respect for him.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #68: Dec 14, 2011 01:58:18 pm
      I don't see the board spending £20 million plus on any player (be they Torres or David Villa) over the age of 25. they've been quite clear on their buying policy so on those grounds alone I can't see it ever happening.

Quick Reply