Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Parental Control for PC?

Read 1299 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Parental Control for PC?
      Dec 14, 2011 07:56:33 pm
      My kids are growing up too fast, and I was wondering if any of you use any parental controls on your PCs, or if you know of any that are effective.

I've never used one before, just want one that is going to block out the hard stuff without ruining the internet use for adults or slow down the PC.

Advice would be welcome!

I admit I'm looking because a friend on my wife's forum just started a thread about finding someone (her 10 year old son) having typed "how to F**k" into Google, then clicked on "Images"!  :o

HELP!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Parental Control for PC?
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2011 08:14:36 pm
      Good topic, but I have no idea.

Don't even know if it is in the Browser preferences, or the Operating preferences.

No kids you see, just Cats.  That 10 year old seems a right one. I'd watch him like a hawk.

This may help. http://www.google.co.uk/familysafety/
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2011 08:19:12 pm
      There was a programme for this for the PS3. Very handy but forgot what the name of it was.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Dec 14, 2011 08:22:19 pm
      Not quite sure, you could set your home page to a child friendly web browser, it blocks out all those bad words. Here is one -> http://kids.yahoo.com/

But like most children these days, Im sure they are smart enough to know how to find these things xD
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Dec 14, 2011 08:34:13 pm
      I have your answer! :D

Go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Centre, Local Area Connection, Properties, Double click Internet Protocol Version 4, click box use following DNS server address, In prefered DNS Server put 208.67.222.123

Now in the Alternate DNS Server put 208.67.220.123 and then click OK

Now search in google the word sex for example, click on a site and you will notice it is blocked to go on.

Hope this helps :)

This is all based on Windows 7 by the way, not sure about others, you can do it, but I cant remember in detail like this.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2011 08:40:04 pm
      If that 10 year old wasn't smart enough to clear his history then he deserved to be caught.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2011 08:52:34 pm
      And adding on from my last post, in Google, towards the right hand side i think it is now, when you search something, there should be a box saying safesearch, click there and there should be three settings, off, moderate and strict, set it to strict and you wont see dirty images in the images section :)

Quick Reply