Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Villa?

Martin Skrtel
      (9.9%)
      Jose Enrique
      (0.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      (13.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      (7.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (8%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (56.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (1.9%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2.5%)
      Someone else
      (0%)

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 28718 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #414: Dec 18, 2011 04:09:11 pm
      get the motm poll up so i can vote for skrtel and watch the city game :)
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Re: LIVE: Aston Villa v Liverpool
      Reply #415: Dec 18, 2011 04:09:12 pm
      tbh all our players sat back and when we got the ball instead of counter attacking, we were passing it backwards. It wasnt much AC could do imo. thought we did well overall and got the 3 points we deserved.
      He doesnt chase anything down even when we havent got the ball. A trait thankfully Luis, Bellamy, + Kuyt have got in abundance.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #416: Dec 18, 2011 04:09:42 pm
      Totally agree with the statements angled at Andy Carroll, absolutely no passion in the way he plays for me, discussed it with someone on the Andy C thread and I get the impression he's not trying very disheartening from me as a fan to see that from our centre forward. Our number 9 is typically our first defender, well Andy Carroll doesn't even do that part of the game, should be dropped from the bench in favour of Maxi now he offers absolutely zero!

On a much more positive note we destroyed Villa for most of the game, to be honest I did 3-0 and 4-0 to us so a bit gutted as this is the worst Villa side I've seen in a long time but you've still got to put them to bed and we did that inside 15mins. Great defensive display, granted not playing against much, Shelvey did quite well, deserved better service and had decent movement just wish he'd stop trying to absolutely smash the ball and just relax into the shot, definitely has pressure on his shoulders a goal would release all that. Bellers fantastic again, tireless and a joy to watch for me, played with real passion. Luis looked a little below par but came to life in the second half, understandable with the hearing etc going on, unlucky not to score, damn woodwork again!!

Charlie had another solid game as did Enrique as ever, Pepe barely troubled. Glenn Johnson was man of the match for me, absolutely ran the socks off everyone it felt like and the only other negative was Henderson, neat, tidy, boring would be how I'd sum up how he plays. Need to see much more from him but in him I have much more faith than Andy Carroll sorry big man but you're doing nothing to deflect the criticism and I'd gladly take a £15m loss on him if we could grab £20m for him in Jan, never gonna happen I know.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #417: Dec 18, 2011 04:10:01 pm
      Shelvey did very well, but he had a couple of chances that he should have done better with, so

I've gone for Bellamy for man of the match for his tireless running up till about 65 minutes, scoring our first goal and an absolute peach of a corner assisting our second goal.

Johnson also did very well - did a lot of Downing's work for him.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #418: Dec 18, 2011 04:10:42 pm
      Very happy with the result today, two more wins will set us up nicely for a title push in the new year.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #419: Dec 18, 2011 04:10:43 pm
      skrtel motm for me. solid defending and a goal.

I'll do the same, we don't give the defense enough praises. Agger is also immense. Bellamy is threathening as ever, must start him in every game. Glenn and Downing had a good game. Suarez hit the post twice, hopefully he had used up all his quotas of hitting posts, he'll start to score goals non-stop till the end of the season. Not much went pass Jose.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #420: Dec 18, 2011 04:10:47 pm
      Andy's seriously f**king me off. I smoke between 10-20 a day, drank 4 beers during the game and I swear to god i would move more than him on the pitch. Hes just so lathargic with everything he does and expects to get everythign on a plate, that delivery, that through ball, he doesnt do anything for the team, well didnt today.

0/10 for effort.
      I see it the same way, he touched the ball like three times during those 13 minutes
      You pair need to shut the F**k up and get off the fella's back,your just having a pop at him for no reason,13 mins he was on and you expect him just to get into the pace of the game without missing a heart beat, it's fans like you pair that piss me off, you sound like you have run out of pants to sniff, get a f***in grip and support all the lads in our squad,

a great win by our boys and yet again its been dragged down by negative comments by you two, if you dont f***in like it you know what to do,

f***in pisses me off it really f***in does, f***in glory hunters!!
      Teamofthemacs
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      • By that you mean..?
      Reply #421: Dec 18, 2011 04:10:56 pm
      Defence is looking really tight. Skirtel for motm for me outstanding again today. Won it at a canter. Next!
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #422: Dec 18, 2011 04:11:13 pm
      My MOTM was Bellamy, because he got the first goal and set up the second. Johnson is a close second.

MOTM for Villa? The post.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #423: Dec 18, 2011 04:11:40 pm
      Wierd how I thought we were better in the second half yet we didn't score.

Shelvey really impressed me, very confident with the ball and not afraid to go beyond the striker and have a shot. Bellamy very good too, Suarez picked it up second half and was unlucky not to score.

Defence were just brilliant.

Hope we build on the last two games starting against Wigan on Wednesday.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      Reply #424: Dec 18, 2011 04:12:55 pm
      You pair need to shut the F**k up and get off the fella's back,your just having a pop at him for no reason,13 mins he was on and you expect him just to get into the pace of the game without missing a heart beat, it's fans like you pair that piss me off, you sound like you have run out of pants to sniff, get a f***in grip and support all the lads in our squad,

a great win by our boys and yet again its been dragged down by negative comments by you two, if you dont f***in like it you know what to do,

f***in pisses me off it really f***in does, f***in glory hunters!!

Agreed Billy. Carroll couldn't do anything because the midfield did nothing for him. A striker needs support, he barely got any (Downing and Hendo seemed to be competing for who could lose the ball the fastest)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #425: Dec 18, 2011 04:13:01 pm
      Villa were shocking, but we played well enough to make them look even worse. They were so toothless up front, and panicky at the back, had we not won, it would have raised serious questions.

In the end it should have been more, and I was bitterly disappointed Suarez didn't get on the scoresheet. MOTM for me was either Bellamy or Skrtel.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #426: Dec 18, 2011 04:14:33 pm
      Another away win plus a clean sheet.
      Lovely.
      Matt_
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #427: Dec 18, 2011 04:14:38 pm
      Solid performance. Thought we Never had to get out of first gear to be honest. If we did it could've been a lot more. I worry if we ever lose Luis to injury or suspension cos we simply don't have a striker good enough to fill in for him.

Thought we defended really well today, both wingers supported their full backs and made it hard for them to break us down. We have much better balance with 2 wide men who can come inside or go on the outside.

Overall, easy win, great 3 points and a clean sheet.

MOM Johnson
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #428: Dec 18, 2011 04:14:58 pm
      I wouldn't vote for Skrtel, left Heskey unmarked in the first few mins, if it was a better striker the game could have been completely different

Overall him and Agger had very good games though

Voted for Johnson myself
      raj2010
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts |
      Reply #429: Dec 18, 2011 04:17:11 pm
      I agree...people need to get off Carrolls back...he only had 13 minutes can't fault the lad really; we can't compare him to suarez hes a complete differently different player. He will come good.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #430: Dec 18, 2011 04:17:24 pm
      Overall, I'm happy with the performance. Great to get 3 points, and for Kenny to break his duck at Villa Park.

Positives, Jonjo Shelvey. Excellent performance from him. He's got as much potential as anybody else at the club - very encouraging to see! My MOTM. Or Bellamy, he was excellent as well.

Downing seemed to really feed off the boos in the first half. He trailed at the end of the game, but so did everyone else. Played some good balls too, but his shooting has been bad this season. I know some here think he had a bad outing, but I thought he was good today for about 60-65 minutes.

Adam didn't play as well as he has the past 4 games or so, but you really can't expect a player to be perfect every game.

Some negatives are a lack of clinical finishing, again. How many times are we going to hit the post in one season?! And really, that should have been a 0-4 or 0-5 game.

I thought we were a bit sloppy in defending at times today, especially in the first on set pieces. Made some silly fouls, but eh. Can't complain too much about a 2-nil win. Clean sheet too!

Finally, Kenny got it right today. Long may the Skrtel-Agger partnership continues with the way those have been playing.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #431: Dec 18, 2011 04:17:25 pm
      I wouldn't vote for Skrtel, left Heskey unmarked in the first few mins, if it was a better striker the game could have been completely different

He was offside, so there was a reason for leaving him unmarked.
      AlexG05
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 136 posts |
      • We Go Again
      Reply #432: Dec 18, 2011 04:17:47 pm
      Another week. Another win. Another tight camera shot of Bellers telling a ref to F**k off. He gets man of the match just for that! Love it!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #433: Dec 18, 2011 04:18:50 pm
      Another week. Another win. Another tight camera shot of Bellers telling a ref to f**k off. He gets man of the match just for that! Love it!

Loved it when out of all our players it was Suarez who tried to calm him down. :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #434: Dec 18, 2011 04:19:22 pm
      Loved it when out of all our players it was Suarez that tried to calm him down. :D

;D so ironic!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #435: Dec 18, 2011 04:20:34 pm
      From Anfield Index:

Most Accurate passer for #LFC today was Stewart Downing - 93% (50/54) #fb

Martin Skrtel continues his fine form (Agger has positive effect on him) with 100% tackles won, 80% ground duels, 100% air duels. #fb

Craig Bellamy finished top chance creator (including one assist) for today's game with 4.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      Reply #436: Dec 18, 2011 04:27:53 pm
      From Anfield Index:

Most Accurate passer for #LFC today was Stewart Downing - 93% (50/54) #fb

Martin Skrtel continues his fine form (Agger has positive effect on him) with 100% tackles won, 80% ground duels, 100% air duels. #fb

Craig Bellamy finished top chance creator (including one assist) for today's game with 4.

I cannot believe that first stat. I remember Downing giving the ball away constantly at the end. Though maybe those weren't counted as passes...

The second stat confirms for me that the Agger-Skrtel partnership is our best option right now. Sorry Carra.

The third stat is part of why Bellamy was my man of the match.

Quick Reply