Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Villa?

Martin Skrtel
      (9.9%)
      Jose Enrique
      (0.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      (13.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      (7.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (8%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (56.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (1.9%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2.5%)
      Someone else
      (0%)

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 28580 times
      Matt_
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #437: Dec 18, 2011 04:34:13 pm
      Agreed Billy. Carroll couldn't do anything because the midfield did nothing for him. A striker needs support, he barely got any (Downing and Hendo seemed to be competing for who could lose the ball the fastest)

Penguin of Troy, what game were u watching???

Anfield Index stats - Stewart Downing was Liverpool's most accurate passer today - 93% (50/54)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #438: Dec 18, 2011 04:34:49 pm
      I cannot believe some on here having a go at Andy Carroll.

He was only on for 13 minutes, and it's not like he had the ball for those 13 minutes either. What little I did see of him, he was tracking back and harassing all the time, and was unlucky on the end of one cross. Seems like some can't wait to slag the guy off.

Yet nothing said about Suarez hitting the woodwork because he slammed the ball instead of side footing it into an empty net, and then making two or three terrible choices to shoot when there were players in acres of space screaming for the ball. Some can do no wrong some can do no right.

Perspective.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #439: Dec 18, 2011 04:39:33 pm
      Gave the MOTM to Srktel. A clean sheet and a goal. Can't ask more from a CB.

Wa impressed with how Shelvey played. Came in for his first PL start and did not look fazed at all. Played with confidence, not afraid to get on the ball, make adventurous passes and runs into the box beyond our striker. That's actually something that I've liked an awful lot from all our CMs on general since Kenny came back. Shelvey was not afraid to shoot either. If it was this baldie that had scored, he defo would have got MOTM from me!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #440: Dec 18, 2011 04:43:21 pm
      Thought we played pretty well today without getting out of second gear, Villa never posed any probs and tbh, we won at a canter, i'm slightly disappointed tho because i thought and expected Villa to give us a sterner test and force us to play a better,

Pepe must have been bored to F**k, the back 4 solid performance yet again and yet another clean sheet,
       very impressed with Jonjo great performance from him, Adam was decent without being flattering but then again he did'nt really need to be,
      Hendo was average and could have been better, I thought Downing was good and dealt with the inevitable boos very well and with a bit more control and composure could have had his 1st goal,
       Bellers was excellent,my motm and Suarez was quieter than usual, having said that, he hit the woodwork twice with the one effort being absolute f***in class, his little touches and his movement was sublime,
      well worthy of the 3pts, i would have liked to see us being more clinical,but hey, its a win,its another clean sheet,and another away win, and we go marching onto the DW stadium to put Wigan to the sword on Wednesday,
      well done Redmen another confidence boosting display.

IKWT   YNWA
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #441: Dec 18, 2011 04:43:43 pm
      Very pleased with that performance. Dominated them throughout and would have been a much bigger scoreline if the jammy posts didn't get in the way.

Was very impressed with Shelvey. Has big boots to fill in trying to cover for Lucas but did a tremendous job today. His little stint at Blackpool and all the goals he scored has done wonders for his confidence and that's evident.

Hoping we can put in a similar sort of performance againt Wigan now.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #442: Dec 18, 2011 04:53:38 pm
      I voted GJ my MoTM, he's good in defense and decent attack, just should better looking for a pass instead of go with the ball himself sometime his teammates are at better position.

Glad for a win and clean sheet.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #443: Dec 18, 2011 04:54:43 pm
      Good team performance. Need momentum so a win at Wigan is vital!

Downing was good for me but my old man disagreed.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #444: Dec 18, 2011 04:59:17 pm
      Good result, we weren't on top form today but Villa were very poor. Bellemy MOM with Johnson a close second, Enrique had a steady game, back looked solid, however Downing and Henderson both worry me.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #445: Dec 18, 2011 05:00:10 pm
      Easy. They didn't look like scoring once.

My only critcism was that we're too casual in the final third, not clinical enough. Suarez should've scored the one where he hit the bar, Adam should've put it on a plate for Shelvey who would've had a simple 1 on 1 from 4 yards out.  Quite a few other times, Downing or Johnson or Suarez or Adam or Henderson just lacked a little bit of clinicalness (is that the word?) when they had the chance to pick out a killer pass to set up a great chance. All in all however, happy that we've bounced back from the Fulham defeat (a game we should've really won anyway) with back to back wins, home and away.

One word to sum up today's performance: Professional

YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #446: Dec 18, 2011 05:06:43 pm
      Good job done today, Villa looked awful and never really threatened us that much, mainly due to the job done by the defence, also excellent watching players covering for each other, like when Henderson did very well covering at right-back in the second half when Johnson kept venturing forward.

Had Bellamy MOTM, involved in everything that was good from us, Suarez always looks dnagerous, even when he loses the ball, the way he fights for it is everything you want from a forward and the two chances that hit the woodwork could easily both been exceptional goals.

Bring on Wigan!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #447: Dec 18, 2011 05:07:13 pm
      Went on my break at work and walk in to the staff area to see the free kick taken and we score. Then we score again. Cheering i saw both goals and both well taken.

3 points, fantastic performance that kind of dropped off from what i saw which wasn't more than half an hour of the game (15 minutes in the first half and 15 in the second).

Well in boys!!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #448: Dec 18, 2011 05:13:36 pm
      Jingle Bells
      Jingle Bells
      Jingle all the way
      Oh what fun it is to see Liverpool win away !!!!

Excellent team display from the lads again today, a very very good away win, first time under Kenny, nice one.

Bellamy was my Man of the Match, he was all over the place, Suarez, very unlucky with the two that hit the post, again !!!!! Bet if he wanted to do it, he wouldn't be able to  :D

Thought Downing played well, as did all the midfield, covered for each other well.

Lovely headed goal from Skrtel, he has a nice habit of poppin them in.

Good win lads, onwards and upwards to Wigan next  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Still don't like that kit at all, even though we won in it.

Great support from the travelling kopites as well, nice one lads.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 67 
      Reply #449: Dec 18, 2011 05:39:47 pm
      would love to mike up bellamy and video him for a whole match - i would pay money to see and hear that, fantastic
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #450: Dec 18, 2011 05:50:58 pm
      You pair need to shut the f**k up and get off the fella's back,your just having a pop at him for no reason,13 mins he was on and you expect him just to get into the pace of the game without missing a heart beat, it's fans like you pair that piss me off, you sound like you have run out of pants to sniff, get a f***in grip and support all the lads in our squad,

a great win by our boys and yet again its been dragged down by negative comments by you two, if you dont f***in like it you know what to do,

f***in pisses me off it really f***in does, f***in glory hunters!!

Well in billy mate. Totally agree with your post. It's like some fans expect him to get a goal every ten minutes. It's quite ironic when you think of the excuses that were made for N'Gog and Babel during their time here.

I didn't realise that the more a player costs to buy that the less time he is given to adjust to a new style of play and also recover from injury?. The times they are a changing i think.

Kenny has already said that Carroll will be given a run over the Xmas period so hopefully he'll get a couple of starts and game time to improve his match fitness.

Forgot to mention Bellamy as my Man Of The Match earlier, was involved in everything good we did. Have to say that the booking he got was bang out of order and he was well within his rights to swear, it was a ridiculous decision.

Anfieldgeddon continues to gather momentum.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #451: Dec 18, 2011 05:54:42 pm
      Gave MOTM to Shelvey. His positionning in attack was excellent, without Adam and Suarez being a little selfish I say he would probably have scored two times ; and was also decisive on first goal.

Could have given it to Johnson, Agger or Skrtel as well, but it's not like Villa looked dangerous enough to give it to a defender.
      Bellers was very good too, but also worried me most of the match, looking so unhappy after every ref decision I feared a second yellow (Adam the same, except he was a little less good).
      Suarez was brilliant in spells but terribly unlucky with his finishing (we need to sign an exorcist this winter, to remove the curse put on him by some ghanean marabout).
      Downing, Adam and Henderson looked more inspired and motivated than usual, and a very good point of this game is none of them disappeared in second half.
      Pepe never had anything hard to do, anyway did his job well.
      Found Enrique the most average today, not that he was bad but unusally unremarkable, when he had brilliant moments in most previous games (I may be spoiled, now I'm disappointed when I see no "Enrique beating 3 men alone and delivering a brillant pass" action in a match).

A little disappointed by the subs too. Carragher looked lost (don't know if he was supposed to play in midfield or as 5th defender or to replace Agger who was making runs in midfield, but my impression was he wasn't sure either and spent his few minutes on the pitch hesitating) and Carroll wasn't really looking like an upgrade over last year's N'Gog in his "the young forward allowed to make his jogging on the pitch" role (ok he got no service, but he could have at least tried to look motivated or something). Anyway it's just a detail, considering we had no problem keeping the score.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #452: Dec 18, 2011 06:04:06 pm
      Liverpool have the best defensive record in the top flight, conceding only 13 goals and keeping six clean sheets

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #453: Dec 18, 2011 06:04:56 pm
      All over the news about the scum scoring two goals, having loads of chances and hitting the woodwork - with footage to match naturally.
      LFC - carbon copy events but just the scoreline.   :tosser:  Green wankers.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #454: Dec 18, 2011 06:13:16 pm
      Level with the Arse on points games played and GD.
      5th/6th.

Happy with that going into Christmas.

When I was a kid I always looked for us being 5th or above at the turn of the year.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #455: Dec 18, 2011 06:18:32 pm
      Heard we were 2-0 up, when I was in work, sounds as if we could have won by a far larger margin, but never mind, it's three points and that's what counts.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #456: Dec 18, 2011 06:21:43 pm
      We won;
      We didn't play like we played against ManCity, but we won;
      We sometimes looked like we'd let Villa back into it, but we won;
      Was it a good game? a bad game? a piss-poor game?
      It was a great game because WE WON!

MOTM Bellamy
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #457: Dec 18, 2011 06:30:24 pm
      Penguin of Troy, what game were u watching???

Anfield Index stats - Stewart Downing was Liverpool's most accurate passer today - 93% (50/54)

At the end Downing was flubbing around everywhere.

Stats can be deceiving and losing the ball isn't always about passing, Downing lost the ball far too often in the time Carroll was on the pitch. (And I'm someone who tends to support Downing).
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #458: Dec 18, 2011 06:31:25 pm
      Thought we could have won by 5 or 6. We controlled the game. I went for Johnson as man of the match thought he was excellant but then so were all the defence. Kenny is obviously encouraging the defenders to get forward love the way Agger is bombing forward as well.

Only negative for me is it is clear as day we need a clinical striker if we had one with the amount of chances we create we would be a lot closer to the top of the league
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #459: Dec 18, 2011 06:32:57 pm
      At the end Downing was flubbing around everywhere.

Stats can be deceiving and losing the ball isn't always about passing, Downing lost the ball far too often in the time Carroll was on the pitch. (And I'm someone who tends to support Downing).

Carrolls movement was poor when he was on the field maybe why Downing lost it more Carroll doesn't drag defenders away like Suarez

Quick Reply