Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Villa?

Martin Skrtel
      (9.9%)
      Jose Enrique
      (0.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      (13.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      (7.4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (8%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (56.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (1.9%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2.5%)
      Someone else
      (0%)

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 28286 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #460: Dec 18, 2011 06:37:23 pm
      V.good game from all the lads
      controled AV with ease
       Bellers had a superb game
       but I gave MOTM to Luis Suarez due to his lack of LUCK hitting 2 bar and post with two  marvelous  shots

Don't know how some in here expected Andy Carroll to shine today  ,  came in with 13 mins left and we were controlling the game rather then looking for a third goal
       YNWA
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #461: Dec 18, 2011 06:45:36 pm
      Thought we could have won by 5 or 6. We controlled the game. I went for Johnson as man of the match thought he was excellant but then so were all the defence. Kenny is obviously encouraging the defenders to get forward love the way Agger is bombing forward as well.

Only negative for me is it is clear as day we need a clinical striker if we had one with the amount of chances we create we would be a lot closer to the top of the league

Agree with all this.

Woodwork twice again! Another day, it could have been a very frustrating afternoon.

I  for one, am chuffed to bits! ;D
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #462: Dec 18, 2011 06:49:01 pm
      And this is why I wasn't down on Downing today. He had stretches of good and bad and I'd like to see him be more consistent, but he is contributing.

From Twitter:
      Robish13 Robin_LFC
      Stewart Downing won possession back for #LFC the most today with 11 wins. Johnson 2nd with 10, Adam & Enrique next with 8 #MoM
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #463: Dec 18, 2011 06:55:20 pm
      People saying 13mins isn't enough to judge someone it is to assess their attitude towards winning their place back in the side, doesn't want it bad enough from the simple 13minutes display that I saw. You're 2 - 0, you come on to lead the line and disrupt the defenders with your fresh legs, not amble around aimlessly jumping at thin air and giving the ball away with almost every touch. Would be playing full 90minute games expected to run endlessly in reserves before he got a look in again. Seriously looks happier on our bench at the moment than when playing. If you think this is harsh watch it again, I can cope with someone being out of form if they're trying, he isn't and he doesn't deserve my support if that is the case.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #464: Dec 18, 2011 06:55:39 pm
      I much prefer Downing on the right, he can come inside gives Johnson space on the outside, same with Bellamy on the opposite side gives Enrique space on the outside. Felt when Downing was on the left he was getting in Enrique way
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #465: Dec 18, 2011 06:56:41 pm
      Voted Bellers MOTM , Agger and Skirtel  didnt put a foot wrong .
      Villa didnt add up to much so it was an easy afternoon if you ask me ,
      Plenty chances made ,we do  need to start putting more of them   away .

See Andys getting it tight from a few posters guy needs time on the park not
       15 mins here and there ,its not easy though with us doing so well at the minute .

It is a lot of cash to be sitting on the bench  TBH  ,but Kenny knows more than me so let him call it how he see`s it .

What I will say is maybe the money  spent  on Andy could have been spent on a different type of player ,thats just my opinion .

The bottom line for me is if Saurex gets injured I would want another option rather than Andy ,Im not saying Andys a bad option I just think we need another choice to change  our patterns of play .

Come the Jan window Im expecting a striker on loan or bought exactly for this reason
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #466: Dec 18, 2011 07:13:00 pm
      Get the F**k in.  Was working so I missed it!

Roll on mid-week away to Wigan. 3 points are there for the taking.
      cannuckred
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      • Long way from home, but still bleed Liverpool red
      Reply #467: Dec 18, 2011 07:18:35 pm
      Bellamy for me was superb today, his movement on and off the ball made Villa dizzy. Some good performances all round, wish after the second went in we didn't come off the gas as much and really punished a poor Villa side.
      Happy Day........
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #468: Dec 18, 2011 07:25:21 pm
      Much easier 3 points than expected. Thought we looked stronger and quicker than Villa everywhere. Happy with the win :)
      Great to see Bellers and Skrtel scoring early on, made it a very comfortable day.
      Thought Suarez did wel againl, he could easily have had 2 goals, and when he went off / Carroll came on thought we looked far less dangerous up front. We're a different side with him up top.
      Bellamy did well too, was a bit surprised by the MOTM, thought he mislaid a fair few passes mainly in the second half, but that's just being picky. Gives us good pace with Suarez.
      Downing did better, and Hendo, Adam and Shelvey did fine. The time at Blackpool has helped Jonjo, passing was better (but shooting was poor).
      The defense look to have settled well and look like they know what they're doing.
      Carra showed why he's not an option in midfield. And Andy won't get into the side until he can give Kenny something more to think about. Against a beaten side he didn't impress, but hopefully over the xmas, he'll take a chance or two.
      Important 3 points, keeping the good away form going and staying the pace with the teams round us.
      The brother is back from abroad after being away for a year and it's the first game he's them play in that time.  He thought we looked really good, no comparison to this time last year. Controlled, good passing, moving the ball quicker.
      Roll on Wigan...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #469: Dec 18, 2011 07:31:55 pm
      Anfield Index stats - Stewart Downing was Liverpool's most accurate passer today - 93% (50/54)

Got serious doubts about those stats.  Although thinking back, I can't remember Downing trying anything particularly exotic, a lot of it was a simple pass backwards to Johnson.

If a winger is getting 93% pass accuracy then in my view he is not being adventurous and getting enough crosses in.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #470: Dec 18, 2011 07:33:06 pm
      he doesn't deserve my support if that is the case.

Sorry mate, but when they pull the shirt on - they all deserve your support, no matter what you're preconceptions.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #471: Dec 18, 2011 07:39:10 pm
      Had to take the kids team out today so never got to see or hear the game. Glad of the three points and the clean sheet. Sounds like it was relatively easy. Got a text message, we were 2.0 up after 15 mins, so thyouight my 6 . 0 prediction was going to be spot on. That was the only dissapointmnet so far. Will watch MOTD tonight and give my verdict of motm after that if they show more that 2 mins. Anyway, good result, shame none of the others were in our favour.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #472: Dec 18, 2011 07:48:38 pm
      My MOTM was Bellamy,Great team Performance again away from home.Defence looks solid as a rock.

Poor Suarez must hate them crossbars,he was slightly off  today thanks to the F.A F***ing him about all week.
      Think i would stick with the same team against Wigan on Wednesday,Hope to see Andy get back into the team he needs a few Goals for his confidence.
      ovs
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #473: Dec 18, 2011 07:52:10 pm
      pls Kk send carroll out on loan
      ovs
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #474: Dec 18, 2011 07:57:21 pm
      KK pls look at victor moses the wigan striker. He can do the job 4 us
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #475: Dec 18, 2011 08:00:25 pm
      We've won back to back Premier League games for the first time in three months and it was total domination at Villa Park.
      This win was our 6th away win of the season and our excellent run away from Anfield continues.

Stewart Downing was the most accurate passer of the game for us with a 93%, whilst defensively Martin Skrtel continued his excellent form this season winning all of his tackles, 80% of ground duels (50-50′s) and all of his aerial duels too (not forgetting his excellent headed goal). It was quite surprising that Daniel Agger had a contrasting afternoon winning no duels at all even though he looked very comfortable in the game itself.

Our central midfield won all of their tackles although their duel win percentage was pretty low and they only created one chance between them. The majority of chances came from the wide players and strikers.
      Craig Bellamy, Luis Suarez & Stewart Downing created 9 chances between them with Bellamy creating four and getting an assist. Bellamy’s delivery was brilliant all game with his corners testing Aston Villa at every opportunity. Out of Bellamy’s seven crosses – 43% of them found a fellow red whilst only 20% of Downing’s five crosses were accurate.

Luis Suarez came alive in the second half hitting the woodwork twice and he gave the Villa defenders a torrid time whilst he was on the pitch in the second period. Jonjo Shelvey had the most shots in the game (five) and 40% of them were accurate and also kept the ball well with an 83% pass accuracy. A good start from the young midfielder although he can improve on winning his duels/tackles.

Glen Johnson deserves a mention as a stand out player for us as he won 100% of his tackles, 82% of his duels and had an impressive pass accuracy of 92%.
      He was the Man of the Match had Bellamy not scored a goal and created one!
      Glen Johnson also dribbled past his opponents the most beating an Aston Villa player three times, Suarez was next with two.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #476: Dec 18, 2011 08:01:27 pm
      pls Kk send carroll out on loan

So i take it you would prefer Moses to Carroll.I cant see that happening.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #477: Dec 18, 2011 08:16:05 pm
      We've won back to back Premier League games for the first time in three months and it was total domination at Villa Park.
      This win was our 6th away win of the season and our excellent run away from Anfield continues.

Stewart Downing was the most accurate passer of the game for us with a 93%, whilst defensively Martin Skrtel continued his excellent form this season winning all of his tackles, 80% of ground duels (50-50′s) and all of his aerial duels too (not forgetting his excellent headed goal). It was quite surprising that Daniel Agger had a contrasting afternoon winning no duels at all even though he looked very comfortable in the game itself.

Our central midfield won all of their tackles although their duel win percentage was pretty low and they only created one chance between them. The majority of chances came from the wide players and strikers.
      Craig Bellamy, Luis Suarez & Stewart Downing created 9 chances between them with Bellamy creating four and getting an assist. Bellamy’s delivery was brilliant all game with his corners testing Aston Villa at every opportunity. Out of Bellamy’s seven crosses – 43% of them found a fellow red whilst only 20% of Downing’s five crosses were accurate.

Luis Suarez came alive in the second half hitting the woodwork twice and he gave the Villa defenders a torrid time whilst he was on the pitch in the second period. Jonjo Shelvey had the most shots in the game (five) and 40% of them were accurate and also kept the ball well with an 83% pass accuracy. A good start from the young midfielder although he can improve on winning his duels/tackles.

Glen Johnson deserves a mention as a stand out player for us as he won 100% of his tackles, 82% of his duels and had an impressive pass accuracy of 92%.
      He was the Man of the Match had Bellamy not scored a goal and created one!
      Glen Johnson also dribbled past his opponents the most beating an Aston Villa player three times, Suarez was next with two.

And I'm 100% sure we won the match.

Where do all these stats come from?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #478: Dec 18, 2011 08:26:52 pm
      KK pls look at victor moses the wigan striker. He can do the job 4 us
      this is the same Moses who got his first goal last week after 45 shots on goal hardly the clinical striker we need
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #479: Dec 18, 2011 08:40:40 pm
      Now watch our wonderfull F.A.screw the week up
      Granit
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • JakoVar Red
      Reply #480: Dec 18, 2011 08:46:31 pm
      OptaJoe Opta Sports
      5 - Liverpool have now matched the total of Premier League away wins they achieved last season. Progress.  :f_tongueincheek:   ALL HAIL THE KING
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #481: Dec 18, 2011 09:08:36 pm
      Really, really pleased with our defence at the moment. Best record in the league and I am as confident of us clearing the decks at set pieces as I have been for some time.

Skrtel who has improved ten fold took his goal superbly and is fast becoming integral to this team.

Daniel Agger (touchwood) is over his injury problems which gives us, in my opinion, one of the best central defenders in Europe if not the World.

Johnson is also improving and played a blinder today whilst Enrique is Mr Consistent. Pepe's punching was good today and that was about as much as he had to do.

I don't think Downing was as bad as a few are making out but its fair of us to expect a lot more.

Shelvey was a huge, huge plus for me today. His confidence and ability on the ball was really good to see from a young lad and couldn't come at a better time. Adam wasn't amazing but done his job and got on with his tasks and continues to settle nicely.

I know we won and all but if there was a negative it would have to be Henderson. He has been presented with an unbelievable chance to let everybody know what he can do. Instead of grabbing the bull by the horns though he seems to be content with going through the motions. Everytime he gets the ball its as if he has just been given a hand grenade. Must do better.

Suarez was Suarez and again put in another good performance and was very unlucky to have not scored a worldy.

MoM for me was Bellamy. A goal and an assist and an absolute pain in the arse for defenders and officials. At last i've found somebody on this planet that moans more than my Missus. Great signing and 'buck shee'!!! Always a bonus.

Regarding Big Andy's 13 minutes I can see both sides of the argument. Yes he was only on for 13 minutes and didn't see much of the ball and yes he did look a bit lethargic and looked like he was running on treacle. Unsure why he did maybe look a little lethargic but that hasn't been evident in recent games though where I think he has put big shifts in effort wise. I can see him scoring against Wigan, got a feeling.

Another away win and I am made up. Really hope we can turn it around at home now though.

We are still thereabouts folks no matter what anyone might say. Win the next three and who knows were we could be position wise.

albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #482: Dec 18, 2011 09:12:22 pm
      Got serious doubts about those stats.  Although thinking back, I can't remember Downing trying anything particularly exotic, a lot of it was a simple pass backwards to Johnson.

If a winger is getting 93% pass accuracy then in my view he is not being adventurous and getting enough crosses in.

You know JD, I know what you are saying but please allow me to play devil's advocate here;

I am starting to believe that the "fatal flaw" in English football is this obsession with "putting in crosses".

As far as I am concerned players should always be looking for PASSES to better placed colleagues not just hitting crosses "into dangerous areas".

Seriously, how many goals really get scored from aimless crosses? Defenders just love them.

This was why, IMHO, Pennant looked good statistically but, in real life, was next to useless for us.

Time may be warping my memory but I don't ever recall our great wide players of the past (e.g. Thompson, Heighway, Callaghan, McDermott, Barnes, et al) just banging the ball across the penalty area and I am totally sure Barcelona don't do it on any kind of regular basis.

No, I want to see ALL our players looking for "incisive passes" not just hitting it into space just HOPING someone gets on the end of it.

Just a thought or two to aid discussion.

Quick Reply