Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (6.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      (3.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (15%)
      Jose Enrique
      (65%)
      Luis Suarez
      (5%)
      Someone else
      (5%)

Wigan Athletic 0-0 Liverpool - Post match grumbles

Read 40238 times
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Wigan Athletic 0-0 Liverpool - Post match grumbles
      Reply #437: Dec 22, 2011 12:44:40 am
      Anyone else just think that Wigan had a damned good game tonight and if we'd have buried the pen it would have been fine?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #438: Dec 22, 2011 12:49:47 am

Anyway, we won't win the league for at least 3 years maybe 5.

I've been hearing this since the early 90s, "we won't win the league for at least 2, 3, 4, 5 etc years".  It's the same old.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #439: Dec 22, 2011 12:55:41 am
      Anyone else just think that Wigan had a damned good game tonight and if we'd have buried the pen it would have been fine?

The missed pen gave them a lot of confidence. They were looking shaky after the break and we were in control. After the penalty though we just couldn't break them down as well and they defended very well and moved forward with great confidence.

The penalty was a game changer but then again it wouldn't have been an issue had Kuyt and Johnson scored when they should have in the first half.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #440: Dec 22, 2011 01:10:10 am
      My MOTM was Enrique, all night he was solid.
      Agree 100% about Enrique,I am disappointed with only getting 1 point as I expected to come away with 3 points.Come back Stevie Gerrard all is forgiven,we need you Stevie.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #441: Dec 22, 2011 01:26:57 am
      I do find it slightly amusing that there are some people who one week seem to think we are world-beaters and then the next week that the end is nigh.

Perspective please.

We've got a problem putting chances away.

This time twelve months ago we had a problem keeping hold of the ball and hoping to avoid getting beaten most weeks.

We won't wake up tomorrow and be Liverpool's double winning team.  It's going to take time.  We're going to have plenty more of dominating Villa away, beating Chelsea twice away, and then struggling to score against Wigan and Swansea.

The rabid highs and the mortal lows I see some people suffering from makes me very concerned for your mental well-being.  If you can't stand the swings of supporting a football club then I suggest you take up a different hobby.  Like knitting.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #442: Dec 22, 2011 01:28:57 am
      I find this result difficult to masturbate to.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #443: Dec 22, 2011 01:33:41 am
      2 years ago, we went to Wigan, played sh*te and lost. 13 months ago, we went to Wigan, played sh*te and got a draw. 100 million quid down the line, we go to Wigan, third from bottom of the league, play sh*te again and get another draw.

This rubbish is what not playing in Europe this year was supposed to stop, but 5 points dropped at the likes of Fulham and Wigan are the kind of results that will wreck yet another season.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #444: Dec 22, 2011 01:43:53 am
      Depressing game and an even more depressing thread here.

Too many people have unrealistic expectations.

Compare our squad with the rest and, guess what? At most we have the 6th best group of players so to expect anything much more is just foolish.

We need several new, top class players to make 4th and a total revamp before we can think of 1st.

Oh, and just possibly a new manager.

Yeah, yeah. Go ahead. Rip me to shreds, why don't you. Look, I love Kenny as much as anyone but is he REALLY good enough? I'm starting to have my doubts.

Anyway, we won't win the league for at least 3 years maybe 5. So, just get a grip on reality lads. Drawing with Wigan is not that big a shock.

Unrealistic expectations?!?!?!?!?!?! What have you been smoking?

Wigan is in the relegation zone. We have no business struggling or drawing against them. We may not be the top team in the league but we are certainly good enough to expect a comfortable win over fricking Wigan.

Even if we only have the 6th best group of players we're 12 better than Wigan.

This is not an issue of unrealistic expectations. This is an issue of poor play, plan and simple.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #445: Dec 22, 2011 01:55:30 am
      I do find it slightly amusing that there are some people who one week seem to think we are world-beaters and then the next week that the end is nigh.

Perspective please.

This time twelve months ago we had a problem keeping hold of the ball and hoping to avoid getting beaten most weeks.

We won't wake up tomorrow and be Liverpool's double winning team.  It's going to take time.  We're going to have plenty more of dominating Villa away, beating Chelsea twice away, and then struggling to score against Wigan and Swansea.

The rabid highs and the mortal lows I see some people suffering from makes me very concerned for your mental well-being.  If you can't stand the swings of supporting a football club then I suggest you take up a different hobby.  Like knitting.

Great post JD + for you. ;)

Doubters....

Take a look at my sig!
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #446: Dec 22, 2011 02:04:57 am
      Enrique pure class again, New left back for Spain now surely!

As for the result i'm disappointed to say the least. More so because we cant put the ball in the net even though we are dominating.

12 month's ago i was praying we don't get beat, we have improved massively and patience is needed as we will improve. Kenny will bring us success, people that doubt that are F***ing off the head.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #447: Dec 22, 2011 02:05:43 am

Perspective please.

Get real JD, we are all supporting our club just some might have different views to you and others.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #448: Dec 22, 2011 02:10:29 am
      Get real JD, we are all supporting our club just some might have different views to you and others.

Those some also suffer humour by-passes too!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #449: Dec 22, 2011 02:16:55 am
      We need to really do something about our goal scoring.

We aren't going to win games, trophies, titles or whatever without goals.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #450: Dec 22, 2011 02:44:29 am
      Just got back from the game after the big fire on the railway lines. Disastrous result, we were awful all night and yet still could've won it if we'd converted our chances. Stewart Downing, I'm really lost for words. The effort he puts in is nothing short of appaling.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #451: Dec 22, 2011 03:07:55 am
      Those some also suffer humour by-passes too!
      Pardon...
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #452: Dec 22, 2011 03:20:41 am
      We have the players to beat teams like Wigan and every other team under us. We all know that we can beat the teams above us. We seriously lack beleif in getting the ball in the net. When we attack we have no one in the box. We need a seriously good goal scorer. We need to spend money. Downing is a good player but we need beter. Kuyt is a good player but we need better. We need players that suit the way we want to play.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #453: Dec 22, 2011 05:45:42 am
      Not sure what all the questioning of Kenny is about, but we sure were grim today. Our midfield was a disgrace, Adam and Henderson were appauling. Downing was sh*te as well. Maxi not much better.

The standouts were the back 5. I gave my MoTM to Skrtel because I thought he dealt with everything very well today along side Agger, with very little protection from the midfield in front.

Enrique was good also, tackled everything and gave us good width in attack with his overlaps.

I thought Carroll needed to come on earlier, that would be my only critique of Kenny, but then again, what do I know?

falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #454: Dec 22, 2011 07:30:15 am
      Poor again, Its very frustrating all this performing against the "big" sides and struggling against "lower" opposition. Far too many points dropped against the smaller clubs when really LFC should be good enough to easily beat them. Credit to Wigan though they played well and were worthy of their point. Good save from the Keeper.

In terms of the players, m is great when everything is going right for him but mediocre at other times. Henderson has all the potential but looks like he is holding back. Downing has been disaapointing but lets hope he has a better 2nd half of the season. The defence has been superb and all credit to Kenny and the boys for sorting that out.

The team needs Gerrard but who knows what he will be like once he returns and it will take him a bit of time to get in the swing of things. A lethal finisher is also required, someone who shoots first, asks questions later. Also Carroll has to get a run.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #455: Dec 22, 2011 08:18:01 am
      Charlie Adam - How many times in a game does he lose possesion for us - He is not good enough to start regularly, and Gerrard should take his place when fully fit.

Maxi and Kuyt were exceptionally poor.

Thought Henderson had a good game again.

0-0 is not an awful result considering...
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #456: Dec 22, 2011 08:27:36 am
      The good news is that Bellamy will walk in the side on Boxing day, Stevie may be back and I can only see Adam and Downing being benched.....someone said after about 80 minutes that we weren't doing too bad for a team playing with Adam giving the ball away, Downing and Henderson almost non existent. Which means that our back 5 is tremendous (Enrique is the player of the season so far).

The dissapointing thing was that after 9 minutes they hadn't got near us, we looked awesome.....maybe we are not fit enough?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #457: Dec 22, 2011 08:28:10 am
      I think he means 'need to lighten up'.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #458: Dec 22, 2011 08:35:48 am
      I find this result difficult to masturbate to.

;D

My man of the match went to Enrique, had a solid game and barely put a foot wrong.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #459: Dec 22, 2011 08:41:48 am
      Once the teams needs are addressed in the january transfer i can see a real strong 2nd half to the season, what makes me feel confident is that we are in touch for a champions leauge spot with the possobility of a cup or 2 with a team that has hit the woodwork and failed to convert the plenty chances that have been created.

Looking forward to climbing the leauge once our fire power is restored in front of goal.

IKWT.

Quick Reply