Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (6.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      (3.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (15%)
      Jose Enrique
      (65%)
      Luis Suarez
      (5%)
      Someone else
      (5%)

Wigan Athletic 0-0 Liverpool - Post match grumbles

Read 40187 times
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Re: Wigan Athletic 0-0 Liverpool - Post match grumbles
      Reply #460: Dec 22, 2011 08:53:42 am
      If we score the penalty, we win! Simple as that! Why the f*ck is there no one in the team that can shoot a f*cking penalty. 4 misses out of 5?! That is shocking! We would have had probably an extra 6 of 7 points if we converted all of them. Hope stevie is back soon, he'll  put them away!

In the end, another disapointing result.

AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #461: Dec 22, 2011 09:18:46 am
      Bigger we could have done with them points
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #462: Dec 22, 2011 10:00:27 am
      Another performance for the forget file,we started off well and looked like we were going to cruise to victory, but for one reason or another we just seem to try to hard and not achieve anything, i thought Suarez was superb after all the bollox he has went thru, Downing was a disgrace and not fit to wear Liverpool red, Adam,poor, Maxi average, Kuyt headless chicken syndrome, Hendo half decent, the back 4 were good except GJ, yet another 2pts dropped and another 2pts shy of European football we need to get back from somewhere,we need Gerrard back asap,a striker to bang the goals in and very soon a miracle to reach Europe if we dont improve, we need to spend in Jan and bring in players to help us reach our goal.
      majorly disappointed, and starting to worry where we will end up.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #463: Dec 22, 2011 10:21:28 am
      When Gerrard and Spearing come back I can see both starting.
      In all honesty we need them back.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #464: Dec 22, 2011 10:25:30 am
      First 20 minutes, looking like we're on fire. Passes were thrown inch perfect, movements were brilliant and our teamplay was nothing but outstanding. Then we gone into sleep mode pattern. Our midfield were once again leaving a gap too wide for them to exploit. Our passings were too awful. Our link up play seems to be stuttering and our players looked like they were lost.

Against a team who in this season is so poor we were made to work extra hard. I just don't know where went wrong. We didn't create enough good chances eventhough some of our chances should deserve a goal or two. Kuyt I thought he was so poor. His passings were a bit off and terrible. Downing seems like he just ran out of ideas. Suarez, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Reina and Enrique for me were the better of them but sometime I feel that Enrique was trying too hard to burst through.

We got 9 days to go before the transfer window and we need to sort out our misfiring attacking department. If we keep drawing games like this, come May I'm afraid it's too late. It's not that we're not attacking enough. We're f**king monster in attack but too many wasted chances and let's hope cum January we improve ourself and banging in more goals.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #465: Dec 22, 2011 10:34:20 am
      only managed to see the first 30 minutes of the game and we were all over them. it was so one-sided. bitterly disappointed we didn't win. adam scores and everyone will be raving about the good away win, but ifs and buts don't get us points. we have to kill these teams off. extremely disappointed.
      Zebedee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #466: Dec 22, 2011 10:46:18 am
      what more to say,,awful,awful! lost ground again from the teams above us,maybe we are contend  with sixth place,because thats what we are fightin for ,not a place  among the top four,no!Consistency,consistency,ever heard of that word King Kenny? Time to start delivering,no more excuses,those your own words? YNWA!!!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #467: Dec 22, 2011 10:48:34 am
      It will be interesting to see what happens in the transfer window.Very hard to figure out whats going on we play our best games against top four clubs,but against the minnows we are a different team.Best deensive record in the EPL. Then we have hit the woodwork more than any other team its easy to lament, but the lack of goals or a clinical finisher is killing us. Demba ba was for free, think he can score for any team he goes to.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #468: Dec 22, 2011 10:53:04 am
      what more to say,,awful,awful! lost ground again from the teams above us,maybe we are contend  with sixth place,because thats what we are fightin for ,not a place  among the top four,no!Consistency,consistency,ever heard of that word King Kenny? Time to start delivering,no more excuses,those your own words? YNWA!!!

oh pi$$ off will u
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #469: Dec 22, 2011 11:51:18 am
      If we score the penalty, we win! Simple as that! Why the f*ck is there no one in the team that can shoot a f*cking penalty. 4 misses out of 5?! That is shocking! We would have had probably an extra 6 of 7 points if we converted all of them. Hope stevie is back soon, he'll  put them away!

In the end, another disapointing result.

I think we should give Pepe a crack taking pens, lets face it who has more experience with penalties in your side than your goalkeeper? (albeit from the other end but that'd still give you some insight into them right?)
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #470: Dec 22, 2011 12:14:11 pm
      I'm just confused as to why we were crossing into the box when Andy wasn't on and when he was we didn't cross any at all.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #471: Dec 22, 2011 12:15:24 pm
      Showed how much we missed Lucas IMO. Charlie is good going forward and so is Henderson, but when it comes to the defensive side, we were leaving so many gaps in our half and allowing them to play.

Stewart Downing, again performed his disappearing act, he's a real 70% player, I never see him putting in 100% for the team. Even our defence looked shaky a few times, and it took some last minute challenges to prevent them scoring.

Having said all that, if we had taken our chances we would of won. Same old story, their keeper got man of the match. Kuyt should of be taking the pen, he nearly always puts them away.

Gutted because this was an opportunity for us to close the gap on some of the teams above us, but just another one of those nights, where we can't put the ball in the bloody net! On the plus side, we didn't hit the post ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #472: Dec 22, 2011 12:16:28 pm
      no grumbles from me.Wigan have done well of late and considering the disruption to the match preparation a point is ok and we can get the boys home for 2 matches and show them all we are behind them 100%.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #473: Dec 22, 2011 12:30:19 pm
      Gone for Enrique for my MOTM, closely followed by Skrtel, Agger and Pepe.

Thought Johnson had some well dodgy moments together with a couple of brilliant ones.  I don't think Henderson was as bad as some have said he was, but he did go missing at times.  Suarez put in a shift especially considering the weeks events.  Maxi and Dirk were poor, and Charlie Adam and Downing both had shockers.

A very disappointing result, especially as those above us won.

Roll on Boxing Day.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,106 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #474: Dec 22, 2011 12:42:51 pm
      Seems to be overload on the panic in here.

Yeah we were poor but still could or should have scored 2 or 3 and again we didnt concede. Id be well more worried if were not creating chances and if we were leaking soft goals at the back

Calm down we will be fine

Downing needs to buck up no doubt about it and if there is money there Id have to say Id like us to sign a winger. And I also think Dirk may have had his time here.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #475: Dec 22, 2011 01:04:19 pm
      There really isnt anything strange about what happened last night... coz it has happened before during all our drawn home matches.
      We created enough chances in the first 25 minutes to have made the result safe, but again we werent clinical enough. Some point out that we hit the bar 17times as if its an achievement...while it actually highlights our lack of precision in front of goal.

Lastnight i was so upset with Adam, Henderson and Downing... who were the worst players out there. Everytime there was an opportunity to play a positive short pass, Henderson would look sideways or backwards, Adam would run with the ball instead of playing a simple pass and Downing would run down a blind alley or infield. There was never an injection of pace into our play and even worst the whole second half had no tempo, it looked like we were waiting to get beaten.

Anyways, i am of the opinion that it was simply as a result of the emotion after the Suarez verdict, that meant everybody felt sorry for themselves and didnt take responsibility for their roles.

1 point is better than none... we are not out of contention for anything yet. 1-4th place are still undecided, there's alot of work to be done... remember Chelsea, Arsenal and a few others will lose players to AFCON in January which could see a change in their consistency.
      Keep the faith!!

unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #476: Dec 22, 2011 01:08:35 pm
      A poor result for sure. Did anyone else think Diame had another terrific perfromance for Wigan though? I think he has been the catalyst for Wigan's recent turn around and possibly would look quite good in red, for the right price of course. He could fill in for Lucas for now but also looks more than capable of being a good box to box midfielder.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #477: Dec 22, 2011 01:26:14 pm
      A poor result for sure. Did anyone else think Diame had another terrific perfromance for Wigan though? I think he has been the catalyst for Wigan's recent turn around and possibly would look quite good in red, for the right price of course. He could fill in for Lucas for now but also looks more than capable of being a good box to box midfielder.

I didn't watch the game last night and I see him as more of a defensive midfielder than box to box (although he has the quality to make some forward runs), but I do agree he would look good in red. Not an eye-catching signing but I wouldn't mind having him in the squad.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #478: Dec 22, 2011 02:16:11 pm
      We were excellent for the first 20 mins, looked like we'd walk it. Wigan couldn't get into our half at all.
      That spell kinda came to an end though after the Glen chance ... he tried to slot it home, but the keeper blocked it. And we'd plenty of chances before that too.
      But same old story, didn't put the chances away.
      For the rest of the game on, still thought we were just about the better team, but it was a poor match, 2nd half particularly I was pulling my f**king hair out.
      Thought Maxi and Kuyt did deserved to be subbed, they had off nights.
      But Suarez could've gone much sooner too. A lot of our attacks broke down with him flicking balls away / loosing it - Andy should've been on with 20 to go (cmon ta f**k KK, we shoulda gone for it!)
      Sure if Charlie had've stuck away the peno we'd have 3 points in the bag. Wigan had a few decent long shots, but I think we'd have held onto the 1-0.
      Not goin to moan about the other lads, or who should be replaced, or what feckin formation we should have, with who in it, cause far as I can see it really doesn't matter who has been in the side, as a team we're not TAKING OUR CHANCES --- our goal diff is brutal.
      Would hope though that if Suarez is not havin a good match (and fair balls to the guy he's under a lot of pressure at the moment), and we've only the one up front (him), that KK needs to make a change SOONER. 85th minute is too late when you're looking for a score.
      Oh, and Enrique was my MOTM. He was excellent.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #479: Dec 22, 2011 07:01:32 pm
      It was a funny, stalemate of a game which just shows the same old story. Strong defensively, keeping a clean sheet but unable to get the all important goal at the other end which is hindering us. It's not just one or two matches this happens, it's a constant problem which is effecting us game after game.

We've scored less goals then two of the bottom three, that stats says it very clearly, that we aren't scoring enough.

I noticed an interesting statistic regarding us and Manchester City, previously to yesterdays game. They have had only 2 more shots within the box than we have had. The difference being, that they've scored 1 in 5, we've only scored 1 in 10. A huge difference, which just proves the need that we need to be more clinical.

But fundamentally what matters is outscoring your opponent to win. The fact we have such a tight defence, Agger, Skrtel and Enrique all excellent which has grown into one of the best defensive partnerships in the league, which has allowed us to pick up wins margining.

Our midfield looked legless for the last 15 minutes, chasing the Wigan midfield runners, and every time they got the beating of us. Too many times, Wigan found space between the midfield and defensive and had too many shots from long range. Luckily for us, they didn't have enough creative ability to create a goal but if that was Manchester City with that much space, they could have easily put 4 past us.

Lucas is out for the season, we know that, and there is little we can do to fix that, but we do miss the defensive security he gives us, and we miss his neat passing starting attacks. I think the closest player we have to Lucas, is Spearing, and i believe he will come back in against Blackburn, giving us that extra body who can get stuck in the tackle and won't shy away when he going gets tough.

Henderson and Adam played very poorly. After the first 30 minutes, Wigan started to get back into the game and those two struggled. Diame played very well and I was impressed with his performance yesterday.

Neither Henderson or Adam created anything of real substance, they never made any quality passes that you need. All they did was pass it wide, never making forward runs into the box giving Suarez any support. Suarez was very isolated due to the lack to forward support from our midfielders. Adam or Henderson should have made runs into the box, it would have gave us more options for our wingers.

Henderson is just so passive and conservative with his passing. It's obviously that he has the ability to spring brilliant passes, but it's almost like he's too scared of making a mistake. So many opptunitues to play the ball forwards. But it's too common that he reverts back to the defensive, he chooses the safe and easy option too many times.

I appreciate Henderson's ability and potential, but he needs to toughen up, big time. Get harder and stronger into tackles, don't feel intimidated and start creating attacks, taking risks with his passing looking to create chances.

I think a few games along side Gerrard would do him the world of good. Someone who demands the ball and looks to try things, take risks in order to create goal scoring chances.

Downing was our poorest performer, he couldn't beat his man, couldn't really get a dangerous crosses in. Other then one cross which Kuyt volleyed straight at the goalie, he lost the ball constantly. Never tracked back and never looked a threat.

0 goals and 0 assists is shockingly poor, and he needs to improve his performances and form. I wouldn't be as frustrated with him, if he worked hard, but currently he doesn't put in a half decent shift and looks very lethargic. So many times Enrique has had no defensive support but still coped brilliantly, to his credit.

My patience is wearing thin, and it wouldn't surprising me entirely if he was sold in January, in a similar situation to Robbie Keane's short era here.

For the first time this season, I am starting to feel a little anxious towards the way our season is heading. Especially with the news that Suarez is suspended for 8 games, depending on appeal but some game on the sidelines is looking increasingly inevitable.

We played well defensively and created some chances but we're toothless upfront. We haven't got the goals in us. But I feel if we get Andy Carroll on song, or a proper clinical finisher in January, and with Gerrard returning to fitness. That could make a MASSIVE difference needed to get back up the table.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #480: Dec 22, 2011 07:46:47 pm
      I haven't seen Adam arrive in the box nearly as much as he should, thought his fitness levels were improving but box-to-box it seems he will never be as a couple of times he was left to "sprint" after runners and they left him standing. Gave him MotM performances a couple of times this season but that doesn't change my view he is not a long term solution for the centre of the park and it's a big worry.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #481: Dec 23, 2011 12:13:43 am
      Put myself through it and watched the match last night.

Enrique easily our best player followed by Sktrel, Agger and the away crowd.

Apart from that a pretty ordinary display from the rest of the lads.

The 2nd commentator whoever the F**k he was, was doing my head in..biased pr**k!

Can't wait till we get a decent set piece taker coz Adam sucked at it last night.

Got to start putting our chances away, this is killing me.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #482: Dec 23, 2011 12:53:34 pm
      Put myself through it and watched the match last night.

Enrique easily our best player followed by Sktrel, Agger and the away crowd.

Apart from that a pretty ordinary display from the rest of the lads.

The 2nd commentator whoever the f**k he was, was doing my head in..biased pr**k!

Can't wait till we get a decent set piece taker coz Adam sucked at it last night.

Got to start putting our chances away, this is killing me.

Think it was Matt LeTissier.
      And agree about the set pieces. We not only had the peno chance, but we have a few free kicks on the edge of the box (decent chances, SG would've done alot better) that we ballsed up too (all into the wall far as I recall).

Quick Reply