Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Boxing Day Football at Anfield

Read 2303 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Boxing Day Football at Anfield
      Dec 25, 2011 08:03:53 am
       We are playing Blackburn on Boxing Day and this brought back memories of a match I was at on Boxing Day 1953,we were playing West Brom and in those they announced the teams over the tannoy system.You can imagine our surprise when they announced we had 2 new players and it was the first we knew.We had signed John Evans an inside forward  and Frank Lock a full back,both were signed from Charlton Athletic.You see in those days our manager was Don Welsh and he used to play for Charlton.I think we drew 3 each but stand to be corrected and I will say John Evans and Frank Lock did not do a bad job for us,in fact John Evans scored 5 goals in one match but the details are a bit vague without doing some research.I apologise if some of you have read this before but seeing as it is boxing day I thought I would tell the story again. By the way there had been nothing in the papers or on the radiop indicating we were going to sign the 2 players.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Boxing Day Football at Anfield
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2011 08:29:09 am
      Cheers for the story Billy. Always love hearing storied about fans experiences from years going by. Being a young pup myself, only 20, you almost take for granted not having all the up-to-date news about the club so stories like this bring you back to earth. Lets hope for a better result tomorrow though. ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2011 08:36:26 am
      Cheers for the story Billy. Always love hearing storied about fans experiences from years going by. Being a young pup myself, only 20, you almost take for granted not having all the up-to-date news about the club so stories like this bring you back to earth. Lets hope for a better result tomorrow though. ;)
      Thanks for that,I often wonder if the game was better in those days without all the media Hype, and it was the days when players lived in Club houses,It was also the days when the working man could afford to have a pint and the cost of admission into the ground was not exhorbitant,from memory I think it was one and sixpence for the ground and ninepence for the boys pen,That is pre decimal money of course.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Dec 25, 2011 09:54:07 am
      Jeez Billy your even older than me.I was born on the at the time of Shankly's first home game Boxing Day games are wonderful (if you make them) If we cant make some noise tomorrow its time to pack up.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Dec 25, 2011 07:12:22 pm
      Jeez Billy your even older than me.I was born on the at the time of Shankly's first home game Boxing Day games are wonderful (if you make them) If we cant make some noise tomorrow its time to pack up.
      A reason for remembering that match besides the Lock/Evans signings was I had just left school the week before and I had reached the grand old age of 15.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Dec 25, 2011 08:42:03 pm
      It was the days when players  kicked the sh*t out of each other and kicked a case ball that felt like concrete in the rain.

When I remember the seventies battles between ourselves and Leeds ......when there were players about like Tommy Smith,  Chopper Harris and Norman Hunter
      Players and men whose language and innuendos would have resulted now in life bans................it makes me think what a wimp Evra is and ...for a so called Glaswegian.. what a cheating low life slink Ferguson is ..trying to get an advantage using the F.A.

One Boxing Day I remember....'68 v Burnley. Game was sh*te.  1-1.
      (For us a day of shame when a lunatic stoned the Burnley coach and injured a female supporter)

Quick Reply