Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match?

Reina
      (0%)
      Johnson
      (0.8%)
      Enrique
      (14.8%)
      Skrtel
      (17.2%)
      Agger
      (2.5%)
      Henderson
      (0%)
      Adam
      (1.6%)
      Downing
      (15.6%)
      Maxi
      (23%)
      Carroll
      (3.3%)
      Suarez
      (6.6%)
      Gerrard
      (14.8%)
      Bellamy
      (0%)

Liverpool 1-1 Blackburn - post match boxing

Read 42661 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Blackburn - post match boxing
      Reply #736: Dec 27, 2011 03:52:29 pm
      Again people suggesting he is nowhere near full sharpness or fitness, why the hell isn't he would the be question if this is true. We're halfway through the season, he's been here a year now, if he isn't fit yet when will he be 2014 or thereabouts, can't accept that excuse, total rubbish.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #737: Dec 27, 2011 03:54:13 pm
      Again people suggesting he is nowhere near full sharpness or fitness, why the hell isn't he would the be question if this is true. We're halfway through the season, he's been here a year now, if he isn't fit yet when will he be 2014 or thereabouts, can't accept that excuse, total rubbish.

Agreed.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,197 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #738: Dec 27, 2011 03:56:13 pm
      And all this for £35 million
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #739: Dec 27, 2011 03:57:47 pm
      Can' t believe no one is moaning about the clear cut penalty right at the end before we had those two chances.

Stone F***ing waller for the blatant push on Agger.
      The F***ing idiot ref was only looking for one thing - beach balls!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #740: Dec 27, 2011 04:05:34 pm
      And by the f**king way, it's not Carroll who is the ever present striker this Season, yet i don't see anyone having a go at Suarez here?. Yes, he's a great player but he has missed many chances this Season and if he spent a bit less time on his arse with his hands in the air then the results may have been that little bit different.

Many players have missed many chances this Season so far, Suarez, Adam, Henderson, Kuyt and Maxi.

Once Carroll has been given a good run in the side, at least four or five games on the trot, then and only then will i be prepared to listen to the opinions on whether he is good enough.

You can't base your judgement on a player who has made five and ten minute cameos for the most part of his time here, a player who is still nowhere near full fitness and sharpness.

Yea Suarez's finishing has not been great and should not be immune to criticism. Its unusual as his record in Holland is terrific (dont go on about the Dutch league being poor, I think they have bad goalkeepers rather than defenders). His record at international level is also very good, he was scoring a few goals at the start of this season.

Its a problem throughout the team that they are not confident in goal and they need to get some shooting practice in. Maybe employing Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush to be their "drill instructor" for Striker Boot Camp will be helpful
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,197 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #741: Dec 27, 2011 04:14:56 pm
      Just been looking at the table at home for 11 against 7 away for 10 against 7.
       4 goals against in one game, Spurs, thay is a fantastic defensive record. However if you look at goals scored 21 in 18 games, only scoring 3 in one game at home, 5 times away from home we have scored 2 goals, while at home we have scored 2 gols only once. A terrible home record

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #742: Dec 27, 2011 04:15:51 pm
      can't accept that excuse, total rubbish.

Fair enough.

Two goals in nine starts ain't too great for a striker, (irrespective of cost) but then again; neither is five goals in seventeen starts. The lack of goals has cost us dearly - we all know that - yesterday was no different. The only crumbs of comfort we can hold on to is; a) we are creating chances and b) we aren't too far adrift.

The goals may come too late for those who demand instant glory but they will come, in my opinion.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #743: Dec 27, 2011 04:49:18 pm
      Whilst i'm not making excuses for our lack of goals ,maybe the players are under so much pressure to succeed they have rash shots or attempts on scoring goals, possession and patience could be the key factor ,instead making 20 half chances and converting 1,maybe we should make 6 clear cut chances and score 2 !our main striker Luis for me starts the move 30 yards out, strikers like Fowler and Rush 10-15 yards out ,midfield should have more influence on goals
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #744: Dec 27, 2011 04:54:52 pm
      Would anybody rather be in the position of creating sh*tloads of chances but not taking them - this season - or not creating chance and basically going into games with a game-plan that would make Shankly, Paisley etc shudder - last season

I know what I'd rather have, and I'd be on the same side as Shanks.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #745: Dec 27, 2011 04:56:46 pm
      Roy Hodgson's Liverpool or Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool.

No contest really.

We just need to turn a corner in terms of converting chances, when that happens everything will fall into place just nicely.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #746: Dec 27, 2011 05:36:17 pm
      I'm not denying we're creating chances and the goals will come, I just hate all these excuses for players underperforming. Some saying that Downing and Carroll playing badly because of Adam, others saying Carroll playing badly because he's unfit or not sharp enough, the only excuses I'll listen to are players over trying and trying too much and personally I will never blame them for that because at least they're trying!! Enrique and Suarez wear their hearts on their sleeves and leave nothing in the locker each time they play, absolutely run their socks off, amazed it's come around to our 2 best performers (besides the defense as a unit) who are not getting criticism because they're being slightly wasteful, in my opinion they're sick to the back teeth of the poor quality surrounding their efforts.

If I beat a man, lay a ball square to someone for a simple tap in and he wastes it I'm less inclined to pass to him next time and I believe that's built up to the point where Enrique is frustrated with Downing and Suarez is frustrated with Carroll because they're not performing well enough on their own merits, stop placing blame on others for clear poor play. Downing yesterday delievered countless crosses to nobody, he's been doing it for the most part of the season and play like this annoys me so much, I would rather he actually try and pick someone out and fail than just toss ball after ball in there as that's the quality we lack and against better teams you wont get the chance to endlessly fire crosses in so the ones you do get in have to count. He also needs to start beating his man rather than just getting the crosses in if his crosses aren't of the quality needed. Carroll doesn't offer anything to compliment Suarez, he doesn't have the threat to beat a man so he is simply marked tight every single time and lays it off, which would be fine if after he layed it off he made a run and created space or took a defender or two with him, but he doesn't he ambles along and play gets in front of him so often that he isn't in the box for the resulting chance to cross, so what is the damn point of coming short if you're only taking yourself out of the game? To get a shot in it appears like Carroll needs 5 yards of clear space and I'm sorry you just aren't going to get that, so his benefit to the team at the moment is minute and I expect more from my centre forward regardless of cost and even if he cost £5m I'd be saying drop him until he improves his all around game as even when chances do fall to his head he's missing them, or chances to his feet he's missing them. Creating chances for someone so damn static is a credit to those around him, mostly maxi/suarez and bellamy, sorry but I'm tired of the excuses for underperformign players. Also suggesting people should be babysat like Henderson with Gerrard alongside, that partnership doesn't have the defensive capability to go into a match simply because Henderson isn't good enough at the moment and I just hope we stop playing people on sufference simply because it's who we bought in the summer as that's how it feels at the moment.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #747: Dec 27, 2011 05:41:21 pm
      The question is, when will it ever end?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #748: Dec 27, 2011 05:45:54 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised if the ref was "punishing" him for that blatant dive he did earlier.

Didn't he get yellow carded for that?

Think he did yes.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #749: Dec 27, 2011 05:46:12 pm
      But sure u are saying eight.  I remember blackburn having i think three so what if they took them when. We were extremely poor yesterday and our game plan seemed to be just get it wide and lump it in the box to big Andy.  57crosses we hit in yesterday i think that is a more interesting stat

Yes, the crosses were coming in fast and furious 57 but sadly we didn't make better use of these crosses to punish Blackburn. It's pretty obvious that our crosses were aimed at Andy but Andy will also need to do his part better to get to the ball first before the defenders, he was beaten for too many times in the air because he remained static which made Samba looks like a world class defender.  No offence to Samba, he is a good player. If he couldn't win the ball in the air at least complicate situation in the box by harassing defenders and force defenders to make mistakes and create those openings.

In all fairness, Andy tried his best and he has improved steadily as I can see but not good enough, he needs to play intelligently, don't remain static inside the box and allow defenders an easy time to mark him. He needs to run around the box, confuse situation and pull defenders with him and when the cross finally floated in he needs to be able to judge the flight of the ball and get to it before the defenders do. Andy needs to replay the recording of some of the old games that featured our great John Toshack. John is not one of the fastest around but he doesn't stand still, he moved around inside the box making it difficult for defenders to mark him, but John has a a killer instinct, he can read the flight of the ball very very well and gets to it before others do, not to mention he has very good shooting abilities.

Ok, 57 crosses went into the box, hence going by statistics, not too much wrong on both wings, I wouldn't be getting wingers comes January, more importantly to improve on the quality of the crosses in future games. But I'm more frustrated with the contribution of the midfield, until the introduction of Stevie,  I haven't seen and I couldn't remenber too many times that our midfielders attempt to play the ball to Andy and Suarez inside the box or take on defenders themselves, or for that matter run into the box, what they did on most occassions was lay the ball to both wings and let the wingers do the rest. Just my opinion, many may not agree here.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #750: Dec 27, 2011 05:47:09 pm
      Well another home draw, and another day of frustration and bewilderment. Our home record is P9 W3 D6 - that just simply isn't good enough. 6 draws is just showing our problems in finding goals.

We couldn't beat Blackburn, in fact, we couldn't beat an injury stricken Blackburn who were forced to play a 17 year old, and their reserve keeper and they came to Anfield and got a result. 

This is purely our fault and we only have ourselves to blame.

Their goal was by far the sloppiest goal we've conceded this season - a comedy of errors - Agger had plenty of time to clear the ball for a throwing and he should have, but kept possession too long and conceded the corner. Adam on the near post should have done much better; a little unfortunate because i doubt that'd happen to often, but it was still a vital mistake which cost us 2 valuable points.

We still have to give Blackburn some credit; even though they were stricken with injuries, protests from some section of the fans with an under pressure boss - they defended very well and very resiliently. But we still should have put them to the sword.

Defensively we were excellent, once again. Blackburn only had one shot on target, and they didn't offer any threat whatsoever. For the first time in a while, our defence is safe, secure and i have full confidence that we can keep clean sheets.

Our central midfield were average, Henderson looked invisible for most parts, never really tried creating anything, or making forward runs looking to take risks. He's just to passive, and anonymous. Always looking to take the safe option, which lets us retain possession - true - but it doesn't actually get us any near to scoring. He needs to start taking risks, looking to create opportunities because we know he has the talent, and the ability to create chances.

Adam was poor too, i'm getting the feeling that he needs a break. He seems fairly tired and is effecting his performance and making forwards runs. Been a shocking couple of games for him too - missed penalty, own goal, and two poor performances could shatter his confidence too.

Once Gerrard came on, the whole complexion our of team changed, we started to look a proper team and he played 3/4 fantastic passes within 10 minutes, which created good goalscoring chances that Adam is simply unable to create on a consistent bases, and Henderson just doesn't try doing often enough, in fear of making a mistake.

Our wingers were our best performers in my opinion:

Maxi had a great game. He's such an underrated player, every game he makes clever astute runs into space and into the box. He seems to be the only player who is on the same wavelength with Suarez; many times they played clever one-twos into the box. He also scored a vital goal - he has a knack of scoring and it was well positioned and set up on a plate for him.

It was defiantly Downing's best game for us in a red shirt, he had the beating of his man all game and he delivered some really quality crosses in - in which we should have done more with. Hopefully that performance can regain his confidence and start showing us why Dalglish splashed 20 million on you.

Suarez was bright too, showing a few moments of magic with his skill, then the final ball or shot just lacking. I do have one small criticism of Suarez though - he's a brilliant player, with fantastic skill but there were quite a few times where Suarez tries to get past too many players, or tries getting past a player one to many times - one time he was in plenty of space to shoot (in the box), but he tried manoeuvring past one player one too many times which causes us to loses the ball and the opportunity to score.

Carroll got into good positions to score. But the luck was against him, he had a shot from two yards, which he shot straight at the keeper - he got on the end of a few crosses and was so close to sending a header into the back of the net. He had that volley right at the death, which caused the keeper to do a wonder save. But he should have done better for that one particular shot, he hit it weak and timid and it gave the keeper a chance to save it. Really should be putting more power behind it and it'd have gone in.

Another disappointing draw, and another frustrating game with our finishing. We have a very serious problem - we cannot score and we need to find a solution. Solution being, getting Carroll into some form or by investing in January into a goalscoring striker - it really doesn't matter, but we cannot carry on missing so many chances. It's effecting us in every game we play almost.

The big positives were Downing finding his feet and some form, by far his best game and he looked very good. The other positive being Gerrard's return. We missed him badly and i hope he can find some fitness and lead us up the table.

Overall i'm disappointed, but our performance and build up play was very good. Once we find the back of the net consistently, i believe we will kick on and start demolishing teams and progressing up the league.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #751: Dec 27, 2011 05:53:56 pm
      Gerrard is the only player right now that can play fast enough (mentally) for Suarez. Both of them are 5 seconds ahead of the rest of the team, and it showed yesterday. Luis hardly misplaces a pass: he simply places de ball where his team mates SHOULD be. Just like Chuck Norris...
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #752: Dec 27, 2011 05:58:29 pm
      Gerrard is the only player right now that can play fast enough (mentally) for Suarez. Both of them are 5 seconds ahead of the rest of the team, and it showed yesterday. Luis hardly misplaces a pass: he simply places de ball where his team mates SHOULD be. Just like Chuck Norris...

Good observation, I will include Bellamy and Maxi.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #753: Dec 27, 2011 06:00:52 pm
      Chuck Norris. Great footballer.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #754: Dec 27, 2011 06:01:47 pm
      That's what I've said.

Majority of the players are not in the same wavelength as Suarez.

F**K, I would have loved to see a team with Gerrard, Torres, Alonso and Suarez.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #755: Dec 27, 2011 06:04:15 pm
      F**K, I would have loved to see a team with Gerrard, Torres, Alonso and Suarez.
      That thought has caused me to spray my man nectar all over my screen.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #756: Dec 27, 2011 06:17:50 pm
      While DMasta is busy.............

The Arse drew as well this afternoon.
      Add that to the Chavs draw then we haven't lost ground BUT at home against the bottom club......there was only one worse result and that was to lose to them.
      We could have gained some traction on those two.

Lets see what Delia cooks up tonight  at Carrow "Rood" for the Spuds.  (Geddit? Cooks  .... Spuds                 ....oh never mind)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #757: Dec 27, 2011 06:31:01 pm
      We"re doing nearly everything right except put it in the net, our bad luck has to end sometime.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #758: Dec 27, 2011 08:57:10 pm
      Match of the day (MOTD) - Liverpool 1 - 1 Blackburn - 26 December 2011

Didn't see the match, but just watched these highlights, cheers for posting.
      Not much from the first half, that must've been turgid enough stuff.
      But again, we had enough chances in the second half to get AT LEAST 3 goals, that's if we'd been taking @ 50 of the decent chances we had.
      Suarez header from corner - missed target.
      Carroll shooting chance saved near end (by who-the-F**k-is Mark Bunn!?!?!).
      Maxi from the SG free kick, centre goal 6 yards out (though leaning back slightly).
      Carroll has two other headers you'd EXPECT him to score at least one of.
      And I thought the Agger chance at the end, running unchallenged onto a corner ... christ, I mean it's unreal how we're not winning these matches.
      Great to see SG coming on with 20 to go.
      It's not like we've been poor and scraped a draw ... we should've put Blackburn away easily. But Adam's unfortunate OG, and the same old story in front of goal.
      What can KK do? Thought he was right at end of game, 90% of what we do is good ... he must be tearin his hair out ... the chances are there, on a plate, SOMEONE stick one or two away for gods sake. Having SG back will hopefully make a difference.
      The Adam critics are out in force again, and Hendo is in line too, along with Carroll ...
      To be honest I'd be more dissappointed with Carroll ... he's started the match, against a bottom side ... low on confidence ...go out there and dominate and score a few. They're just not going in, and it's really painful to watch.
      If we weren't creating lots of chances, I'd be concerned. Maybe we should blindfold them and tell them to 'use the force'. We need to find away to convert more. When we do, we should put a decent run together.

Quick Reply