Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

8 games in: Are we contenders?

Read 14469 times
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Re: 8 games in: Are we contenders?
      Reply #92: Oct 19, 2011 11:45:58 pm
      A draw in the scumchester derby this weekend would be handy

I'd like to say we're in with a shot but even without scum and City, we've still got Chelsea and Spurs to deal with

I have every belief we can finish above Spurs and a fair amount of confidence that we can nick 3rd from Chelsea but 1st seems like a steep hill to climb to take it this season

You wait 'til we attract the players that come with a Champions League spot though, on top of the players we already have we'll be unstoppable
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #93: Oct 20, 2011 12:00:31 am
      Just to be clear then.

You don't see us as in contention now after 8 games and being 8 points behind but if we are still 8-10 points behind at January you do then see us as being in contention with less games and therefore less points available to win.

Bizarre.

Well, it wouldn't have been bizarre, if you knew how to read.

To be honest, if we maintain the same distance from the top (8-10 points) until the New Year, I think that our chances of winning the title this season will improve. Personally, I am hoping that if we are still in touching distance by January 1st, FSG will get tempted to aggressively attack the January market. By then, our team should be settled, and making a couple of top class additions of Luis Suarez level could launch us towards the title even this season. I know that it is a dream scenario, but that is the way I see it.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #94: Oct 20, 2011 07:00:01 pm
      To be honest, if we maintain the same distance from the top (8-10 points) until the New Year, I think that our chances of winning the title this season will improve. Personally, I am hoping that if we are still in touching distance by January 1st, FSG will get tempted to aggressively attack the January market. By then, our team should be settled, and making a couple of top class additions of Luis Suarez level could launch us towards the title even this season. I know that it is a dream scenario, but that is the way I see it.
      Just to be clear then.

You don't see us as in contention now after 8 games and being 8 points behind but if we are still 8-10 points behind at January you do then see us as being in contention with less games and therefore less points available to win.

Bizarre.
      Well, it wouldn't have been bizarre, if you knew how to read.

Well I learnt to read at school and you sem to imply that with an agressive attack by our owners and manager in the January transfer window we're actually gonna get achieve a bigger points total than is actually possible ?
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011 07:12:24 pm by frizzby5 »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #95: Oct 20, 2011 08:52:08 pm
      Well I learnt to read at school and you sem to imply that with an agressive attack by our owners and manager in the January transfer window we're actually gonna get achieve a bigger points total than is actually possible ?

Yes, I think that if we sign another couple of top class players in January, we can erase an 8-10 points deficit in the remaining half of the season. Our team still lacks a top class right-sided attacking player, and adding another top class central midfielder certainly won't hurt us. If you want names, I suggest Eden Hazard and Daniele De Rossi.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #96: Oct 20, 2011 09:34:22 pm
      To me it is all about beating up the lesser competition. I know against a top 4 side we will stand firm as equals with them and swap points during the season, we always play well against our big competitors. Where we have lacked in the past is the Stoke's WBA, and Norwich's of the league. Teams that we should destroy we have let off the hook, this is what has to change.

If we can beat who we are supposed to beat and play the top 4/5 tough like we always do then we will be in the mix at the end for a top spot. Next 3 matches are against sides we should beat...9 point there for the taking and a potential giant leap into the top 4. I have confidence that Kenny will not let the squad overlook any opponent an we will batter our ugly step childeren
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #97: Oct 20, 2011 10:04:08 pm
      We will have a better view of contension at 7.30 saturday night we need to smash Norwich and show the competition we meen business
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #98: Oct 21, 2011 05:17:24 am
      NO WAY  we're serious contenders at the moment. Tottenham and even Newcastle are playing much much better than us and I don't think they would have lost vs Rangers etc. We have so many good players but if you don't put them on the field or don't play well  it's useless.

We'll be title contenders when:
      -Carroll will start scoring
      -Downing wil start to play well-assists and goals
      -Henderson will have enough confidence and freedom to do what he knows best-create goals-
      -We'll  able to win comfortably against "smaller teams"
      -We'll be able to win without Gerrard or Suarez

At the start of the season I was convinced we could challenge but it's clear we cannot win without Suarez; Downing is worse than Maxi in terms of goals and assists; Carroll has not enough confidence because he cannot score from the silly crosses he gets; Henderson is not given freedom to create, Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt are sometimes unfairly on the bench etc...
      I trusted Kenny fully last season but I'm not convinced by the teams he selects at the moment.  Maxi was awesome last season and plays well when given the opportunity.
      Carroll scored vs Everton and then was benched vs ManU. How do you want him to score?...

I hope we find a solution soon and the 3 next games are ideal to try different team selection etc. :scarf:
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #99: Oct 21, 2011 06:24:09 am
      NO WAY  we're serious contenders at the moment. Tottenham and even Newcastle are playing much much better than us and I don't think they would have lost vs Rangers etc.

Surely you're taking the piss here.

'Much, much better'. You've got to be kidding yourself. And the Rangers point is unbelievably stupid. It's a friendly.... That's all there is to say.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #100: Oct 21, 2011 07:06:43 am
      NO WAY  we're serious contenders at the moment. Tottenham and even Newcastle are playing much much better than us and I don't think they would have lost vs Rangers etc. We have so many good players but if you don't put them on the field or don't play well  it's useless.

So obviously you were happy to get a point from playing the champions last weekend then seen as we are so far away from the other "top teams".
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #101: Oct 21, 2011 07:16:00 am

-Henderson will have enough confidence and freedom to do what he knows best-create goals-

At the start of the season I was convinced we could challenge but it's clear we cannot win without Suarez; Downing is worse than Maxi in terms of goals and assists; Carroll has not enough confidence because he cannot score from the silly crosses he gets; Henderson is not given freedom to create, Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt are sometimes unfairly on the bench etc. 
      I trusted Kenny fully last season but I'm not convinced by the teams he selects at the moment.  Maxi was awesome last season and plays well when given the opportunity.
      Carroll scored vs Everton and then was benched vs ManU. How do you want him to score?.

I hope we find a solution soon and the 3 next games are ideal to try different team selection etc. :scarf:

Wow.

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #102: Oct 22, 2011 08:27:48 am

At the start of the season I was convinced we could challenge but it's clear we cannot win without Suarez; Downing is worse than Maxi in terms of goals and assists; Carroll has not enough confidence because he cannot score from the silly crosses he gets; Henderson is not given freedom to create, Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt are sometimes unfairly on the bench etc. 
      Carroll scored vs Everton and then was benched vs ManU. How do you want him to score?.

hen

You really have to be taking the piss Downing is nothing like Maxi ,And as for Carroll not playing against Scum , The Golden Rule is you DONT question the Kings tactics!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #103: Oct 22, 2011 09:24:59 am
      You really have to be taking the piss Downing is nothing like Maxi ,And as for Carroll not playing against Scum , The Golden Rule is you DONT question the Kings tactics!

Sorry, but I have to say that is nonsense. We all love and respect Kenny, but he is not beyond criticism.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #104: Oct 22, 2011 09:26:11 am
      Sorry, but I have to say that is nonsense. We all love and respect Kenny, but he is not beyond criticism.

Totally agree.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #105: Oct 22, 2011 09:44:14 am

At the start of the season I was convinced we could challenge but it's clear we cannot win without Suarez; Downing is worse than Maxi in terms of goals and assists; Carroll has not enough confidence because he cannot score from the silly crosses he gets; Henderson is not given freedom to create, Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt are sometimes unfairly on the bench etc...
      Carroll scored vs Everton and then was benched vs ManU. How do you want him to score?...

Ask Slur Alex "are LFC serious contenders"? Or really there's no need because his reaction to the 1-1 game tells you all you want to know. He knew he was lucky to drag his arse off the field with a draw and a point. He was reduced to getting behind a cheat and a liar to gain any advantage he could after he and his team were given a severe mauling.
      Better still watch him waffle when asked if his crew are a serious proposition to win the Prem. this time around.   
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #106: Oct 22, 2011 09:59:46 am
      We are barely two months into the season and you've already think we're not good enough?

We've got 7 new players, that's almost a whole starting 11 (though not all start at the same time), so it's going to take some time to gel.

Maybe Kenny has selected some players wrongly at the start of games or not used his substitutes efficiently enough but in no way he is immune to criticism even if he's the best ever player to grace the Kop. He's human and will make mistakes but I trust him to make it right or to admit his mistakes.

We've started the season much better than we did last season. Though I'm not entirely happy with 4 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, the performances have improved a hell lot and I'm more optimistic for every next game regardless of the outcome of the previous game. I'd say Tottenham was our poorest performance of the season but we only got seriously battered when we were two men down.

We could and should have beaten United, Sunderland and Stoke and that could have put us on 7 wins and one loss.

Changes were need and they came first. Next would be understanding and gelling. Then comes confidence and finally results.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #107: Oct 22, 2011 12:33:06 pm
      We are barely two months into the season and you've already think we're not good enough?

We've got 7 new players, that's almost a whole starting 11 (though not all start at the same time), so it's going to take some time to gel.

Maybe Kenny has selected some players wrongly at the start of games or not used his substitutes efficiently enough but in no way he is immune to criticism even if he's the best ever player to grace the Kop. He's human and will make mistakes but I trust him to make it right or to admit his mistakes.

We've started the season much better than we did last season. Though I'm not entirely happy with 4 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, the performances have improved a hell lot and I'm more optimistic for every next game regardless of the outcome of the previous game. I'd say Tottenham was our poorest performance of the season but we only got seriously battered when we were two men down.

We could and should have beaten United, Sunderland and Stoke and that could have put us on 7 wins and one loss.

Changes were need and they came first. Next would be understanding and gelling. Then comes confidence and finally results.

I said that the way we are playing at the moment is not good enough to challenge for the EPL.
      Yes we have new players, yes we are playing better than last year. BUT What is the question?....... Contenders!? AT THE MOMENT, No way.

And with the actual squad we're no way the best team of the League... or close to...
      We need to be in the top 3 or 4 in January and then sign 2 great players, THEN we'll be contenders.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #108: Jan 01, 2012 10:47:16 pm
      I thought I'd bump this as I feel after the recent results in the league we are still in contention for the title.

A win on Tuesday night will leave us 8 points off the top with the mancs away to Newcastle the following night so after the next few days we could begin the new year within 3 wins from the top.

I feel it should still be what we are aiming for especially with 18 games and 54 points to play for and games against all the teams above us still ahead of us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #109: Jan 01, 2012 11:38:34 pm
      I thought I'd bump this as I feel after the recent results in the league we are still in contention for the title.

Strangely titled topic to bump though... No?

Locked.

Quick Reply