Trending Topics

Next match: Man Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 20th Oct @ 4:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Old Trafford

Today is the 18th of October and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W8 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Martin Skrtel
      (7.8%)
      Daniel Agger
      (1.4%)
      Jose Enrique
      (1.4%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (58.2%)
      Jay Spearing
      (2.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (27.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0.7%)
      Someone else
      (0%)

Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy

Read 23910 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,015 posts | 2556 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy
      Reply #675: Dec 31, 2011 10:25:41 am
      I expect Williamson to do better when hes not up against Carroll, who looked very good today.
      Enrique looked superb, might have something to do with him and Bellamy getting the freedom of the left wing for the entire game.

From The Post Match "ToonTastic" Newcastle F.C. Forum

O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.
          (O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us.)

Robert Burns, Poem "To a Louse" - verse 8
              Scottish national poet (1759 - 1796)

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,612 posts | 279 
      Reply #676: Dec 31, 2011 10:29:35 am
      Just watched the full re-run....

What a difference a little confidence makes, this is why big clubs stick to older players, it's their ability to not panic and do the simple things under pressure (Garry Mac, Welsh w**ker, Lampard, etc), but also they know how to win.

Henderson started playing the ball forward and had the impetus of not letting a living legend down who motored pass him for the goal, surely Hendo is now going to think, sh*t he's 10 years older than me and making me look like i'm the old guy.....

The only negative for me was downing, the open goal at the end of the game sums him up entirely, he had a guilt edge chance to contribute something to our season, and he can't even hit the target, he is just plain awful - or he needs a rest as to have 0 goals and 0 assists after half a season for a winger is pathetic.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #677: Dec 31, 2011 10:43:27 am
      I don't agree with any criticism of Henderson last night. I thought he was playing well but when Steven came on they looked far better as a partnership than Henderson and Adam. They linked up great and constantly found each other playing nice one touch football at times. They both make good forward runs at the right times unlike Charlie who can vacate the midfield far too easily leaving us exposed.

I know many won't agree but I thought we could see glimpses of why Kenny bought him.

Plus little Jay was awesome.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,813 posts | 1338 
      Reply #678: Dec 31, 2011 10:45:09 am
      I think that you're being fair enough Scotty.

Personally I try not to criticise anyone, if I can, simply because there a a number of posters who do it better, more often and with more intensity than I ever could. Best I leave it to them, methinks.  8)

I see your point mate and I try to be as objective as I can for the most part when it comes to judging players and performances. I just think we spend too much time on football forums getting upset at other people's opinions!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #679: Dec 31, 2011 10:49:24 am
      The only criticism of Henderson I have is, he sometimes simply plays the ball into the box blindly. I like his movements and the fact he wants the ball all the time and he keeps it simple but he should avoid simply putting the ball into the box without looking up.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 706 posts | 12 
      Reply #680: Dec 31, 2011 11:01:06 am
      Well thank f**k for that! The relief round Anfield was immense last night. Hopefully a great jump into the new year for us. let's hope it continues,Bellamy was man of the match by a million miles. He is thriving under Kenny's guidance and if it wasn't for his knees he would be starter every week. Now the chances have started going in{apart from Carrolls UNBELIEVABLE} hope we have changed the record. All the best to all!.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #681: Dec 31, 2011 11:10:10 am
      Anyways, that goal line clearance by Skrtel was awesome!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #682: Dec 31, 2011 11:52:53 am
      Anyways, that goal line clearance by Skrtel was awesome!

I agree! If that had gone in, getting 3 points would have become a massive task for the boys
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #683: Dec 31, 2011 12:02:10 pm
      Bold statements highlighted in bold maybe. I agree though. Cannot think of another pairing who are as good at the moment.

Might have a bit of a 'thread starter' on your hands there mate  ;).

Exactly mate - strong claims but with true merit.

They've been outstanding in every game they've played together this season. Gives us the foundations for success.

I'll create a thread tonight - could make for an interesting discussion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,181 posts | 3685 
      Reply #684: Dec 31, 2011 12:04:35 pm
      Good game that last night, apart from the deflection and the clearance from Skrtel, Newcastle never really threatened. Great to see Bellamy on the scoresheet, who was a constant threat all night and to have Gerrard back doing what he does best proves the lad is still the best midfielder in the premier league.

Only sour point for me was Cabaye getting away with that challenge on Spearing, defo red card and Coloccini was lucky to still be on the pitch after that elbow on Bellamy, but Probert has got his "likes to let the game flow and keep his cards in his pocket" reputation to think of.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #685: Dec 31, 2011 12:11:28 pm
      34 points after the first 7 games

That was a mistake on my part - sorry guys.

It's actually 34 points in 19 games.

No idea what was going through my head for that particular sentence.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,054 posts | 810 
      Reply #686: Dec 31, 2011 12:24:52 pm
      Watched the whole game again this morning.

Surprised by how slow we started actually. Both sides didn't get going at all and they got a lucky goal. It sparked us into life though and from then on in we dominated the game bar the Ba chance. That was the game changer, a fantastic finish it would have been until a stunning clearance. People go on about 30 yard screamers well that was just as good. Honestly don't think we would have won had it become 2-2.

Bellamy was fantastic yet again tonight. Works so hard, still has the pace. Knows how to beat a man and importantly knows how to find the net.

Gerrard was sublime, best midfielder in the league as far as I'm concerned. He came on and within minutes gave Carroll about 3-4 chances to score. He brought the best out of Henderson who looked eager to impress and then he showed the composure we lacked in front of goal to seal the match.

Very good way to end the year, now let's kick on from this and push up the table. Can't wait to see Gerrard and Suarez linking up together.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,539 posts | 3143 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #687: Dec 31, 2011 12:49:35 pm
      I see your point mate and I try to be as objective as I can for the most part when it comes to judging players and performances. I just think we spend too much time on football forums getting upset at other people's opinions!

Oh that's for sure Scotty. I look at my opinion, like you do I suspect, as just that... an opinion. I don't treasure it nor feel any great desire for it to be right. I'm very often wrong, we all are; the trick is not to fall into the trap that you believe you're opinion is either, how 'society' will judge you or it's important enough to repeat, Ad nauseam; in the hope of a pat on the back.

Carroll wasn't great (again) last night; my adding to that observation or repetitively reminding all and sundry really serves no great purpose, in my humble. After a game, with so many positives, I personally feel that no good can come out of looking for and dwelling too long on the negatives. I would hope and trust Kenny & Clarke will work on what's 'wrong' without my added input, that's all.

No offence meant to anyone by the way.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 40,067 posts | 3901 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #688: Dec 31, 2011 02:17:16 pm
      Showed some desire to push and get all the points which is something we haven't been doing at home. Fantastic to see Stevie come on and bag a goal, going to do wonders for Carroll him being back in the team, was so unlucky to hit the bar with that really well taken header!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #689: Dec 31, 2011 02:49:23 pm
      Respect Carroll please.

He is a different type of striker, not unlike Crouch. He will not be able to play like Suarez, or Liverpool's Torres for that matter.

What he can do is hold the ball and redistribute it well, then get in position like the Target man that he is to attack crosses or loose balls.

I gave Gerrard my MOTM vote because, he changed the game totally; played quality crosses that got Carroll to be more dangerous and then got the goal that settled the game for us.

Carroll is quality.
      We gave Crouchy 19 games before he scored for us ,we seem to be very impatient when it comes to Andy and he has already scored a few for us ,he"s going to be a great player for us he needs time and Stevie will bring him on and get him scoring.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #690: Dec 31, 2011 04:07:01 pm
      Finally got a chance to watch the highlights just now, anyone want to tell me how cabaye got away with no card at all after that challenge on Spearing, with the ref right next to it, seeing it and then walking away? I like Cabaye as a player but that was a mistimed attempt to get the ball, and if it had been the other way around I'm sure Jay would have gotten in trouble.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #691: Dec 31, 2011 07:05:54 pm
      What glory ? Tonight's performance was good, especially after Gerrard entered the game. Still, we are light years away from where we want to be. Am I delighted with tonight's win ? Of course I am. Still, there is a long way to go. When you see Gerrard lifting the Premier League trophy, then you can use the huge red fonts. Until then, everything is open for discussion.

:-*
      Always aways
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #692: Dec 31, 2011 07:25:18 pm
        Awesome!Just watched the match again and Awesome is the best word to describe us.Once Stevie came on,the entire ground changed!The players fought harder,we sang more....Stevie makes everyone high!Everyones posting about how much AC will get better with Stevies help.....me?I've been saying wait'll our little Bellamy links with him!That's what is going to ignite!

On another note,Bellers walked away from Dempsey vs Fulham and got an elbow in the face hard enough to force the sub.Finally cooled down a little there?Keep quiet Welsh dynamite,we need you on the pitch with Stevie G!!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #693: Dec 31, 2011 09:59:26 pm
      Any news on Coloccini’s elbow on Bellers - deserved a red and deserves a ban.

Other than that, it wasn't a great performance as we have played better and drawn.  Still, great to see Stevie back and driving us to victory - just need to cut the own goals out now ;D
      GERNS

• 7,398 posts | 522 
      Reply #694: Jan 01, 2012 10:40:37 am
      Watched this live, just got back to the P.C. Laptop in for repairs so unable to post earlier. Voted Gerrard MOTM Just because of the massive change in tempo and belief, that was evident by his presence, plus his goal. Still think big andy is a beast of a player and will come good with a little more time. I did notice a cross from the right was iminent and he automatically went to the far post anticipating a high ball. It came in hard and low and was easily cleared at the near post. Just a split second decision to take the wrong option, had he attacked the near post it would have been a tap in. It will have been noticed and he will no doubt be told. This is the sort of thing that will improve his game. It will come. As for the rest, back four solid again and Skrtles clearance from Ba was imense. Spearing in the middle, if he hassles Silva on Monday with his stamina and tackling, Stevie will be free to wreak havoc. That lad has come on leaps and bounds and is one of the relatively new lads(although he came through the ranks)in the first team, who seems to have total belief in his own ability. Bellamy just takes the piss out of everybody on the pitch with his energy and desire really. Takes something special to counter that. Stevis is in my opinion the best midfielder in the country at the moment, a step up from most but an absolute country mile on Adam, who didn't do enough for me. Again no guile or finnesse. Probably wouldn't get into any of the top 6 teams other than us. Sorry, just don't rate him.
      Both Enrique and Johnson done well getting forward although Newcastle didn't offer much back so the had a reasonably easy game. Downing needs to step up a gear, we all know he is capable of a lot more as he has shown it previously. Maybe he needs dropping for a while to shake him up. Maxi produces more at the moment. Henderson seemed to come alive when Stevie came on. Perhaps he isn't confident enough playing along side Adam. Who knows. We have to consider Newecastle after a good start, have dropped 16 points from the last 21 so not the best test. Good for the confidence though before the citeh match, which I think we are well capable of winning, and think we will. Back in the chase for 4th now, mainly due to others results which was never expected, just need to press on now, perhaps our decent form is putting the others under a bit of pressure, we have played reasonably well for some time without the goals, perhaps they will start to flow now. Stevie got a good 30 mins in, perhaps 60 on monday.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #695: Jan 01, 2012 11:34:56 am
      Was at the game, totally deserved the win and was great to get 3 goals.

So many positives, Bellamys performance and goals, the defence again, Downing had a decent game and the skipper just lifted the whole ground when he came on. Just great to have him back and looked so sharp all things considered. Also think that Carroll will benefit more than ever with Stevie on the field, he'll deliver the perfect crosses that Andy likes to attack.

Why people think we need to buy someone to replace Lucas baffles me, Jay Spearing does that job consistantly when called upon.

Looking forward to watching the re-run on lfctv.

Bring on City!!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,784 posts | 3369 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #696: Jan 01, 2012 08:07:50 pm
      Watched the replay last night. Apart from the stand out performances of Bellamy, Gerrard and the best center backs in the league, the thing that popped out the most was that was the best atmosphere at Anfield we've seen in a long time. I like Friday night games!

Quick Reply