Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Martin Skrtel
      (7.8%)
      Daniel Agger
      (1.4%)
      Jose Enrique
      (1.4%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (58.2%)
      Jay Spearing
      (2.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (27.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0.7%)
      Someone else
      (0%)

Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy

Read 37628 times
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy
      Reply #644: Dec 31, 2011 12:01:33 am
      My god the difference in hendo when stevie came on. Unbelievable really. Wasnt our best performance but hey wev got the three points. Bellamy is brilliant pity he cant play every game
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #645: Dec 31, 2011 12:05:33 am
      Made my day when Gerrard scored and my son shouted
      "I'm Stevie G!"
      Delighted. Thank you Stevie.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #646: Dec 31, 2011 12:14:53 am
      Another good performance, this time rewarded with the correct number of points.

Everyone had a good game, apart from Downing and Adam.  Bellamy's set piece free kicks and corners are superb.  Skrtel and Enrique were brilliant at the back and Danny did some great forward runs.

Jay Spearing did really well and Henderson is continuing his improvement after the horror show of the Swansea first half.

We were playing well until Gerrard came on - he just added that bit more quality.  Within 10 minutes of being on he had put in 3 perfect crosses from the right wing, almost instructing Downing on what he should be doing.  Charlie Adam was very poor.  Looks like he has got lead in his boots.  No doubt that he will be the one making way for Gerrard and rightly so.

Thought Carroll was slightly unlucky with his header on to the bar - although I swear Bellamy's free kick may have touched a strand of his hair on the way through.... ;)

All in all a great 3 points, only one defeat in the last 17 games and a world away from our last game of 2010.

Really enjoyed our football this season (and all 2011 really) - shame we don't have those few more points that we deserved but we're becoming very difficult to beat and that is the base we all need for success.

Agree with this mate, especially the bit in bold. Even with results/luck not going our way in so many games, we have played some really enjoyable to watch football this year......a million miles away from what was served up only 12 months ago.   
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #647: Dec 31, 2011 12:15:03 am
      Well in lads!!!! Other than Adam and Downing, I thought the rest of the team were boss.

My MOTM is Bellamy, but wow what a cameo from Stevie G F***ing great to have him back, and back with a bang! I hope 2012 is a better year for him he deserves a break from injury now.

Also great stuff from our back 4 again today, Johnson was good at both ends, Agger was great bringing the ball out from the back, and Skrtel is a hero this season! Boss clearence and a great game in general from him. Highly under rated by our fans IMO. Spearing was great as well.

Carroll was indifferent but his performance picked up with Gerrard on the pitch, and that particualr partnership looks very interesting going forward.

Well done lads, now lets kick the sh*t out of Citeh.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #648: Dec 31, 2011 12:52:18 am

Everyone had a good game, apart from Downing and Adam.  Bellamy's set piece free kicks and corners are superb.  Skrtel and Enrique were brilliant at the back and Danny did some great forward runs.

Jay Spearing did really well and Henderson is continuing his improvement after the horror show of the Swansea first half.

We were playing well until Gerrard came on - he just added that bit more quality.  Within 10 minutes of being on he had put in 3 perfect crosses from the right wing, almost instructing Downing on what he should be doing.  Charlie Adam was very poor.  Looks like he has got lead in his boots.  No doubt that he will be the one making way for Gerrard and rightly so.

Thought Carroll was slightly unlucky with his header on to the bar - although I swear Bellamy's free kick may have touched a strand of his hair on the way through.... ;)

All in all a great 3 points, only one defeat in the last 17 games and a world away from our last game of 2010.

Really enjoyed our football this season (and all 2011 really) - shame we don't have those few more points that we deserved but we're becoming very difficult to beat and that is the base we all need for success.

Agree with your post mate Stevie came on and out of his first 4 crosses found Andy twice  Charlie couldnae find him with
      Tom Tom and a compass  tonight ,bit more work in the training ground past and over a wall at free kicks and past the first defender at corners Chuck you know you can do it .

Skrtel `s goal line clearance changed everything IMO so I picked him for MOTM .

Bellers got a dull one hope its just a stitch or 2 couldnt believe the ref and linesman didnt see that ,and the tackle on
      Jay Spearing was a straight red how the F**k he stayed on was criminal, double standards again the wee fella wins the ball at Fulham and walks something no right there

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #649: Dec 31, 2011 12:59:57 am
      Well chuffed with the result and it was nice to come from behind to win again which is not something the lads have been able to do the last couple of years. Have to agree with Kenny when he said the lads had created more chances in several previous home games only to come away with a point each time. Was very impressed with Bellamy once again and I really hope he starts the next one against City. He must be a horrible little bugger to play against! Such a revelation having Stevie back and you could see why they gave him the man of the match award because he was different class to everyone else on the pitch. He brings so much urgency to our play and made a massive difference. I'm desperate to see a fully fit and firing Gerrard playing alongside Suarez but unfortunately we will probably have to wait until March. I actually thought Downing did ok tonight, he saw a lot of the ball and made some things happen but I do have to question playing a right footer on the left and vice versa when we've got big Andy in the box looking for crosses. He looked a lot more dangerous once Gerrard came on and fizzed in 3 beauties in the space of 15 minutes. I thought Spearing played well tonight but was dissapointed with both Hendo and Adam prior to Gerrard's introduction. Dirk looked bright when he came on but I was dissapointed with Carroll again tonight.

All in all a great way to sign off the year and better still the lads can get a decent rest ahead of the City game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #650: Dec 31, 2011 01:18:44 am
      On TV it looked like Downing had a good game

Yep, seen a few similar posts when I got back from the game.  He may have looked good on Tele, but he didn't look good from the stands.  Looks lazy.

Anyway, three points was the target and we deservedly got them.

34 points at the half way stage, and for each of the last 7 seasons we have managed more points in the second half of the season than in the first half. 
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #651: Dec 31, 2011 01:21:55 am
      Perhaps stevie will become liverpools ryan giggs play into his middle thirties. the game was livened up by his appearance.Bellamy is such a role model full of pep and an amazing skill set. We can win without luis we proved it today.Seems as though carrolls confidence is gone very strange him and torres have both been flops in the biggest transfer for ages.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #652: Dec 31, 2011 01:28:15 am
      Well I am a happy man seeing as we got 3 well deserved points,I thought Skrtel played a blinder and Agger had a good game as well,Bellamy had us on fire up front and did well with his 2 goals.Stevie made one hell of a difference when he came on as sub,I gave m.o.m. to Skrtel ,the goal line clearance had to be worth the award for me.Must give Kuyt some credit for the work he got through after coming on as sub,Well done Kenny and the MIGHTY REDS.
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #653: Dec 31, 2011 01:37:26 am
      My god the difference in hendo when stevie came on. Unbelievable really. Wasnt our best performance but hey wev got the three points. Bellamy is brilliant pity he cant play every game

Completely agree with hendo comment. He looked like he wanted to impress stevie and wanted to do a bit more with the ball.

Also agree with JD, everyone except downing and Adam put in a good performance.

I also think Carroll played well. He is not blessed with pace and played up top on his own, those two centre halves know they've been in a match. He was unlucky with the header on the bar and a match sharp and confident Carroll would have buried the one he miss controlled. He will get better playing with stevie and Bellamy, both players have the quality to pick him out early and deliver a ball that at least gives him a chance. Unlike downing.

All in all I am a very happy red tonight, referee pissed me off missing two red cards but that's just the usual double standards.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #654: Dec 31, 2011 01:45:49 am
      Important to get the win but we have to keep on collecting the points and the first win after two games is a start.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #655: Dec 31, 2011 01:48:02 am
      Respect Carroll please.

He is a different type of striker, not unlike Crouch. He will not be able to play like Suarez, or Liverpool's Torres for that matter.

What he can do is hold the ball and redistribute it well, then get in position like the Target man that he is to attack crosses or loose balls.

I gave Gerrard my MOTM vote because, he changed the game totally; played quality crosses that got Carroll to be more dangerous and then got the goal that settled the game for us.

Carroll is quality.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #656: Dec 31, 2011 03:02:50 am

Sums it up for me. Plenty in this game that we had seen a lot this season, with just a bit more luck and quality - especially when Gerrard came on.

Bellamy my MOTM, was a constant driving force and menace to the Newcastle defense. Gerrard a very close second for the influence he had on the game late on, but Bellamy was just so good and deserves it for two very nice goals and general play. Very lucky to have such a wily player waiting in the wings to come in when we need, class finisher.

Andy was both good and bad today, some bad positioning at times but got into it later especially when Gerrard was feeding him and I think it showed that he really just needs some more consistent delivery and trust in him. Gerrard showed some trust in putting a few quality balls in to his head and was very unlucky again not to score.

All in all, happy red right here. Happy F***ing new year!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #657: Dec 31, 2011 03:19:32 am

My biggest problem with him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #658: Dec 31, 2011 03:44:02 am
      Just finished watching a replay the game, and boy what a difference Steven Gerrard makes! Hard to believe we've hardly seen him in 2011.

Overall, the second half was much better than the first, especially once Gerrard came on. Everyone just kind of feeds off of his energy or something. It's unexplainable, really.

Carroll improved the most once Gerrard came on, and it's no surprise nor coincidence that the service to him was better. Super unlucky to hit the post :mad:, but he really should have trapped that one ball better. Movement was better, as was his determination, but still not what he's capable of. He was both frustrating and encouraging for me.

The back four were excellent today, once again. What a save by Sktrel!!! I remember during preseason when we were leaking goals like crazy and some people were flipping their sh*t  :lmao:

Spearing deserves a shout out for me, as well. I thought he silently had a good game. Only real criticism I have is he's a bit too aggressive at times, which is not bad, but can lead to incidents like the Fulham sending off. But you can never fault him for his effort.

I've seen some of the posts on here saying Downing was a mixed bag, and I generally agree with that. His shooting is still awful, but he did seem more eager to take players on. I think we're all still waiting for him to actually show up. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed, he goes down way too easily. You won't see the media talking about it (he's English, after all), but it's pretty pathetic TBH.

Bellamy was excellent again. Along with Enrique, he's been the best bit of business done by the club in the summer. His set pieces are terrific (take a lesson, Charlie Adam), and even at 32 still has great pace. Gave him my MOTM.

Adam has had his third or fourth consecutive bad game. He needs a rest, I think.

Don't know about anyone else, but I thought Kuyt had a good cameo. Hopefully it's a sign the Dirk of old is back because he's been majorly disappointing this season.

Finally, on Gerrard's goal, Stevie G came from behind Henderson charging into the box. That's what we've been missing from all of our CMs, and that to me is the difference between 3 points and a draw.

So glad to get 3 points! Now lets go to Manchester (actual Manchester ;) ) and get 3 more. We can certainly do it!
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #659: Dec 31, 2011 03:54:49 am

Good post !!!
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #660: Dec 31, 2011 03:58:23 am
      I am very pleased with the result, the all important 3 points which has repelled us up into joint 4th - and created a 4 point gab to Newcastle.

I was pleased with the performance, not our best, not by a long way, but we more then deserved the win and it ended up being a very comfortable evening after we got the scored the crucial second goal, other than Ba's brilliant attempt which Skrtel produced a miracle of a recovery - deserves a lot of recognition for that. A lot of our draws this season should have ended up into victories like today so i hope today's result - gives us the confidence to continue that trend against the teams we should be beating.

34 points after the first 7 games - thats very promising compared to last year. That is with Gerrard injured for most of the season, missing too many penalties, easy chances and general bad luck have cost us points against some weaker sides. That's without mentioning hitting the post more times then anyone else, by a large margin. 

Their goal was lucky - an in-swinging cross from deep and Cabaye gets a flick on with his head, only for the keeper to move in anticipation of saving it - only for it to deflect onto Agger's arm and land in the empty side of the net. Unable to do anything - which was very unfortunate.

The turning point in the game was defiantly Steven Gerrard's appearance - what a player !! He delivered in 3 cracking deliveries which Carroll should have done better with his touch on the first one - should have been stronger for the second attempt - and third brilliant cross, Carroll rocketed against the crossbar, unluckily, once again.

We were playing well beforehand - but Gerrard added that extra quality and that cutting edge which was needed.

Another big moment was Bellamy's first goal - once he scored, we gained the momentum and we looked like the only side capable of creating and scoring a goal. 

Bellamy was my of the match - he was the only one really trying hardiest to create and score before Gerrard's arrival. He ran his socks off, caused Newcastle's defence so many problems and he scored two fantastic goals. He looks as fresh as anyone in our squad - and his hunger and performances must be admired. Been a true revolution in his short time here - really wish we could play in every game. His passion to play is immense.

His second goal, the free kick was brilliant - hit with power and swerve. A big thanks is in order for Carroll who distracted Taylor and Krul. I think Krul would have saved the shot. But who cares? Craig scored a beauty and that was the all important goal which won us the game.

Defensively we were very strong once again - other then that goal which was rather unlucky, Newcastle never put us any real pressure. They were all very solid, and we kept a good line.

Enrique had an easy game against Obertan - he proved to be no threat whatsoever. His distribution was excellent, as expected. But he didn't really fly down the wing like he usually does, maybe he was told to sit slightly deeper and watch for any counter attack.

One of the more underrated performances was, Glen Johnson. I thought he was one of the best players out there today - he had his full back in his pocket, won us 2/3 free kicks in good crossing positions and he was a big threat from wide. He just runs past defenders like they aren't there and it's a true joy to watch and experience. Sometimes, the final ball can be lacking but there weren't many options available, especially in the first half - Carroll was drifting away from the box too often and Henderson and Adam looked way to deep, one of them need to be 10-15 yards up the pitch.

Our centre half's were perfect in everything they did today. I think they're probably the best centre back pairing in the premier league, i could easily say they're the best centre back partnership in Europe. Heading, tackling, slide tackling, distribution - everything they did was simple and brilliant which has given us such a rock solid defence.

Agger does have a rare gift with being so defensively gifted, but also having the ability to glide past players - he just picks up the ball, glides past 2 players and looks unstoppable in full-flight. He won the free kick which resulted in our second goal - it's just such a great option to have a player with his ability defensively - and with the ball at his feet. Shows such confidence and is willing to do things create chances. First time he's manage 10 premier league games in a row. I hope he's gotten over his injury woes - he deserves too. 

We should be thankfully they only scored one. Skrtel should earn a great deal of admiration by every Liverpool fan - the game was 2 - 1, Ba hit a shot out, flicks it over the keeper, it looks certain to be a goal - hearts in our mouths - Skrtel just amazingly manages to get his stretched foot around it and clears the almost inevitable goal, incredibly. That was a massive moment in the match - they score then, it could have ended a 2 - 2 stalemate. Game saving defending.

Those two are defiantly two of the best centre backs in premier league, and the world. Continue to improve game on game.

Our defensive midfielder, Jay Spearing played one of his best games in a red shirt in my opinion. He was quiet in his ways - but when he needed to, he tackled very well and very hard. I think after his first hard tackle - a lot of Newcastle's players hid away. His passing was exceptional - he was spraying the ball and changing the interplay of our attacks very well, and i don't remember him losing possession too many times. If he can continue that sort of performance - then Lucas will struggle when he returns.

Although, that dirty player Cabaye could have easily pulled his leg away and it did look like there was some intention. Just glad he's fit and ready - real useful and underrated player to have.

Our other two central midfielders, before Gerrard's brilliant arrival - looked lost, and Adam looked particularly tired. Probably a good decision to sub him off, and i hope he gets a rest against City on Monday.

I think that when we have possession - on an attack, i think one of them two should push 10-15 yards forwards - give the wide players more options and if we had one of our midfielders making runs into the edge of the box - it'd force the Newcastle defenders to have more worry about then Andy alone. Would help him our massively - they just look motionless, and like scared to push forward into the box trying to get into goal scoring positions.

Practically every offensive threat in the first, and second half came from wide positions - we need to be creating more through the middle and we need the attacking midfielders to be making runs forward to give us more options.

Again Henderson looks too negative - numerous time he gets into good opportunities to make a forward pass, so we can create something - but he doesn't take it and plays a much simpler ball which will let us retain possession, but won't create any goal scoring chances - which can be frustrating.

His movement and intelligence has impressed me - he finds pockets of space extremely well and he gives quick one-two lay offs. He just needs the courage and belief to try taking risks, long range shots and making forward runs, looking to score. The only thing hindering him, is himself and once he starts getting the confidence - i believe he'll be a big success. Once Gerrard came on, he looked a lot more assured and comfortable - Henderson does think very highly of Stevie, but i guess who doesn't? Just a testimony to him as a player.

Downing was okay - he looked good when he was attacking - his final ball was disappointing and frustrating today. Many times he could have done better. He looked a threat and his performance has defiantly improved in recent weeks - well it had to really.

Sadly, he still looks lethargic and lazy at times, gave Johnson little help and he must work harder and be more proactive. I remember one incident where we could hear Daglish shouting at Downing, "Stewart, Stewart; wake up"!

The one who we were all wondering whether or not he'd play - big Andy Carroll. First half i thought he was very poor - he was in the wrong positions, the crosses into him were off poor quality, and when he got a touch of the ball, before Gerrard's arrival - neither Adam or Henderson made any strong attempt to be an available option to him in support.

Second half he improved greatly - Andy stayed in the box more often. Once Gerrard came on (the amount of times, i've wrote that just shows how much of a difference he made), Gerrard put some gorgeous balls into the box for Andy. He should have done better with the first cross, but he got very unlucky with the other attempt and snacked the post. I have faith in him and think he'll be a good signing - just early days for him and he's shown promise.

I am very happy with the result, the performance and the manner we came back from behind to win. I think the last time we came back from defeat in the league was against Bolton - when ironically, Joe cole, who was talking pre-match and we were shown highlights of that Bolton match.

So onwards and upwards REDS !!!! This should roar up our confidence and give us the belief. Comfortable win, in joint 4th and Gerrard's getting closer to full fitness.

I've really enjoyed our football in 2011 - the return of the king, the legacy of Suarez and the fans finally coming as one. Lets keep progressing and improving and I'm sure we'll have great time next year.

Praise the lord !!!
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #661: Dec 31, 2011 04:00:38 am
      First time we've come back from 1-0 down to win for nearly a year!  :holyshit:
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #662: Dec 31, 2011 04:01:53 am
      First time we've come back from 1-0 down to win for nearly a year! :O

Not entirely mate.

When we played Stoke in the league cup - we came back while we were 1 - 0 down to win.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #663: Dec 31, 2011 04:25:26 am
      Yes no doubt about stevie g inspired the whole team, bellamy was terrific very clinical so much pep. Perhaps stevie can play till his mid thirties, his goal reminded me of saurez goal awhile back. great win perhaps now we are just coming into form as  man city fixture looms.Nice to see three goals on the score sheet as well. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #664: Dec 31, 2011 09:02:06 am
      Carroll improved the most once Gerrard came on,

Good post RedMosquito and agree with every bit of it besides the above quoted. Thought Henderson improved the most once Stevie come on.

Thought the only difference with AC was that he was actually getting chances made for him which brought him into the game.

Him and Gerrard in the team should be interesting.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #665: Dec 31, 2011 09:06:12 am
      Good post RedMosquito and agree with every bit of it besides the above quoted. Thought Henderson improved the most once Stevie come on.

Thought the only difference with AC was that he was actually getting chances made for him which brought him into the game.

Him and Gerrard in the team should be interesting.
      Him Gerrard and Suarez  in the team will be even more interesting.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #666: Dec 31, 2011 09:12:56 am
      Downing + Carroll = Safety for opposition defense ...
      Kenny and Ian Rush are just two who disagree with your equation.

Quick Reply