(0%)

Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy

Read 37937 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: In game and Post Match Joy
      Reply #667: Dec 31, 2011 09:21:03 am
      Great to have a victory at Anfield. Gave my man of the match to Bellamy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #668: Dec 31, 2011 09:21:55 am

Those two are defiantly two of the best centre backs in premier league, and the world. Continue to improve game on game.

Our centre half's were perfect in everything they did today. I think they're probably the best centre back pairing in the premier league, i could easily say they're the best centre back partnership in Europe. Heading, tackling, slide tackling, distribution - everything they did was simple and brilliant which has given us such a rock solid defence.

Bold statements highlighted in bold maybe. I agree though. Cannot think of another pairing who are as good at the moment.

Might have a bit of a 'thread starter' on your hands there mate  ;).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #669: Dec 31, 2011 09:25:09 am
      Him Gerrard and Suarez  in the team will be even more interesting.

Quite right mate yeah.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #670: Dec 31, 2011 09:44:49 am
      Carroll improved the most once Gerrard came on, and it's no surprise nor coincidence that the service to him was better.

He certainly did.  The kind of balls that the others play in are nowhere near as good.  Carroll looked almost stunned that someone put in a cross that landed perfectly at his feet - took him by surprise.

While I don't think Carroll will ever be a 30 goals a season man, I do think the prospect of Gerrard, Carroll and Suarez playing together is something we should look forward to.  How many times have they played together - about 3 times?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #671: Dec 31, 2011 09:50:30 am
      Not entirely mate.

When we played Stoke in the league cup - we came back while we were 1 - 0 down to win.

Yeah it deffo feels like the lads have broken out of that now. For so long when we went behind you always felt like that was that but there seems to be a bit more belief now which is great to see.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #672: Dec 31, 2011 09:55:53 am
      Respect Carroll please.

He is a different type of striker, not unlike Crouch. He will not be able to play like Suarez, or Liverpool's Torres for that matter.

What he can do is hold the ball and redistribute it well, then get in position like the Target man that he is to attack crosses or loose balls.

I gave Gerrard my MOTM vote because, he changed the game totally; played quality crosses that got Carroll to be more dangerous and then got the goal that settled the game for us.

Carroll is quality.

I think people are a little too sensitive to hearing criticism of Big Andy. You can only say what you see on a match to match basis, or at least that's what I think a match thread is for (giving your opinion). So let's be honest here, Carroll had a pretty shocking game last night. His touich for that great ball by Stevie was very poor but it wasn't good for the whole match. On several occasions we were playing at a good tempo but then the ball got to Carroll and everything slowed right down as he took 4-5 touches when 2 should have been enough. I'm not saying he can't play better, he can and he will, particularly once the service gets better but lets not pretend he played well when he was poor.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #673: Dec 31, 2011 10:01:59 am
      First off: I thought that was very comfortable and dare I say it - easy.

We never really looked under any great threat; even in a first half where so many players were looking lack-lustre and being admonished. It may be fair to say that both Charlie and Jordan looked out of sorts yet, paradoxically, to my mind anyhow, we still controlled the game and without a deflection would have went in ahead. For all the pre-match talk about Tiote & Cabaye our midfield was dealing with them rather comfortably, I thought... down, in no small part, (pun intended), to Jay.

Bellamy was buzzing, Agger was majestic and we were getting down the flanks with both regularity and ease. The crosses were many - a couple of dozen, I reckon. A combination of poor quality crossing and 'no one there' (when the quality was better) meant we bore no fruits from that particular labour. No denying tho'; we were on top.

I just knew that with a bit of luck and Gerrard we would win and so it turned out. I wasn't exactly sticking my neck out - more like adding a bit of perspective to those who may have doubted us.

I'll admit to thinking that he should have come on for Henderson... tho', to be fair; it really wouldn't have mattered who he replaced but... when Gerrard came on for Adam both the middle and forward lines became more assured. Confidence grew and it was only a matter of time, before we drove home the advantage we'd enjoyed the whole game.

Maybe we had become a bit blasé about how good he is but Steve really is something special - a truly World Class player - and it showed. Everyone looked more composed and more confident: everyone upped their game... and in a game with so, so many real positives the biggest of all was his timely return.

An easy three points and the return of Gerrard - what more could a Red want?  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #674: Dec 31, 2011 10:14:10 am
      I think people are a little too sensitive to hearing criticism of Big Andy. You can only say what you see on a match to match basis, or at least that's what I think a match thread is for (giving your opinion). So let's be honest here, Carroll had a pretty shocking game last night.

I think that you're being fair enough Scotty.

Personally I try not to criticise anyone, if I can, simply because there a a number of posters who do it better, more often and with more intensity than I ever could. Best I leave it to them, methinks.  8)

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #675: Dec 31, 2011 10:25:41 am
      I expect Williamson to do better when hes not up against Carroll, who looked very good today.
      Enrique looked superb, might have something to do with him and Bellamy getting the freedom of the left wing for the entire game.

From The Post Match "ToonTastic" Newcastle F.C. Forum

O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.
          (O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us.)

Robert Burns, Poem "To a Louse" - verse 8
              Scottish national poet (1759 - 1796)

Tadders

• 6,699 posts | 565 
      Reply #676: Dec 31, 2011 10:29:35 am
      Just watched the full re-run....

What a difference a little confidence makes, this is why big clubs stick to older players, it's their ability to not panic and do the simple things under pressure (Garry Mac, Welsh w**ker, Lampard, etc), but also they know how to win.

Henderson started playing the ball forward and had the impetus of not letting a living legend down who motored pass him for the goal, surely Hendo is now going to think, sh*t he's 10 years older than me and making me look like i'm the old guy.....

The only negative for me was downing, the open goal at the end of the game sums him up entirely, he had a guilt edge chance to contribute something to our season, and he can't even hit the target, he is just plain awful - or he needs a rest as to have 0 goals and 0 assists after half a season for a winger is pathetic.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #677: Dec 31, 2011 10:43:27 am
      I don't agree with any criticism of Henderson last night. I thought he was playing well but when Steven came on they looked far better as a partnership than Henderson and Adam. They linked up great and constantly found each other playing nice one touch football at times. They both make good forward runs at the right times unlike Charlie who can vacate the midfield far too easily leaving us exposed.

I know many won't agree but I thought we could see glimpses of why Kenny bought him.

Plus little Jay was awesome.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #678: Dec 31, 2011 10:45:09 am
      I think that you're being fair enough Scotty.

Personally I try not to criticise anyone, if I can, simply because there a a number of posters who do it better, more often and with more intensity than I ever could. Best I leave it to them, methinks.  8)

I see your point mate and I try to be as objective as I can for the most part when it comes to judging players and performances. I just think we spend too much time on football forums getting upset at other people's opinions!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #679: Dec 31, 2011 10:49:24 am
      The only criticism of Henderson I have is, he sometimes simply plays the ball into the box blindly. I like his movements and the fact he wants the ball all the time and he keeps it simple but he should avoid simply putting the ball into the box without looking up.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #680: Dec 31, 2011 11:01:06 am
      Well thank F**k for that! The relief round Anfield was immense last night. Hopefully a great jump into the new year for us. let's hope it continues,Bellamy was man of the match by a million miles. He is thriving under Kenny's guidance and if it wasn't for his knees he would be starter every week. Now the chances have started going in{apart from Carrolls UNBELIEVABLE} hope we have changed the record. All the best to all!.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #681: Dec 31, 2011 11:10:10 am
      Anyways, that goal line clearance by Skrtel was awesome!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #682: Dec 31, 2011 11:52:53 am
      Anyways, that goal line clearance by Skrtel was awesome!

I agree! If that had gone in, getting 3 points would have become a massive task for the boys
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #683: Dec 31, 2011 12:02:10 pm
      Bold statements highlighted in bold maybe. I agree though. Cannot think of another pairing who are as good at the moment.

Might have a bit of a 'thread starter' on your hands there mate  ;).

Exactly mate - strong claims but with true merit.

They've been outstanding in every game they've played together this season. Gives us the foundations for success.

I'll create a thread tonight - could make for an interesting discussion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8515 
      Reply #684: Dec 31, 2011 12:04:35 pm
      Good game that last night, apart from the deflection and the clearance from Skrtel, Newcastle never really threatened. Great to see Bellamy on the scoresheet, who was a constant threat all night and to have Gerrard back doing what he does best proves the lad is still the best midfielder in the premier league.

Only sour point for me was Cabaye getting away with that challenge on Spearing, defo red card and Coloccini was lucky to still be on the pitch after that elbow on Bellamy, but Probert has got his "likes to let the game flow and keep his cards in his pocket" reputation to think of.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #685: Dec 31, 2011 12:11:28 pm
      34 points after the first 7 games

That was a mistake on my part - sorry guys.

It's actually 34 points in 19 games.

No idea what was going through my head for that particular sentence.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,248 posts | 2799 
      Reply #686: Dec 31, 2011 12:24:52 pm
      Watched the whole game again this morning.

Surprised by how slow we started actually. Both sides didn't get going at all and they got a lucky goal. It sparked us into life though and from then on in we dominated the game bar the Ba chance. That was the game changer, a fantastic finish it would have been until a stunning clearance. People go on about 30 yard screamers well that was just as good. Honestly don't think we would have won had it become 2-2.

Bellamy was fantastic yet again tonight. Works so hard, still has the pace. Knows how to beat a man and importantly knows how to find the net.

Gerrard was sublime, best midfielder in the league as far as I'm concerned. He came on and within minutes gave Carroll about 3-4 chances to score. He brought the best out of Henderson who looked eager to impress and then he showed the composure we lacked in front of goal to seal the match.

Very good way to end the year, now let's kick on from this and push up the table. Can't wait to see Gerrard and Suarez linking up together.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #687: Dec 31, 2011 12:49:35 pm
      I see your point mate and I try to be as objective as I can for the most part when it comes to judging players and performances. I just think we spend too much time on football forums getting upset at other people's opinions!

Oh that's for sure Scotty. I look at my opinion, like you do I suspect, as just that... an opinion. I don't treasure it nor feel any great desire for it to be right. I'm very often wrong, we all are; the trick is not to fall into the trap that you believe you're opinion is either, how 'society' will judge you or it's important enough to repeat, Ad nauseam; in the hope of a pat on the back.

Carroll wasn't great (again) last night; my adding to that observation or repetitively reminding all and sundry really serves no great purpose, in my humble. After a game, with so many positives, I personally feel that no good can come out of looking for and dwelling too long on the negatives. I would hope and trust Kenny & Clarke will work on what's 'wrong' without my added input, that's all.

No offence meant to anyone by the way.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #688: Dec 31, 2011 02:17:16 pm
      Showed some desire to push and get all the points which is something we haven't been doing at home. Fantastic to see Stevie come on and bag a goal, going to do wonders for Carroll him being back in the team, was so unlucky to hit the bar with that really well taken header!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #689: Dec 31, 2011 02:49:23 pm
      Respect Carroll please.

He is a different type of striker, not unlike Crouch. He will not be able to play like Suarez, or Liverpool's Torres for that matter.

What he can do is hold the ball and redistribute it well, then get in position like the Target man that he is to attack crosses or loose balls.

I gave Gerrard my MOTM vote because, he changed the game totally; played quality crosses that got Carroll to be more dangerous and then got the goal that settled the game for us.

Carroll is quality.
      We gave Crouchy 19 games before he scored for us ,we seem to be very impatient when it comes to Andy and he has already scored a few for us ,he"s going to be a great player for us he needs time and Stevie will bring him on and get him scoring.

Quick Reply