Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

The Agger - Skrtel partnership: how good is it?

Read 11083 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      The Agger - Skrtel partnership: how good is it?
      Dec 31, 2011 10:03:42 pm
      I believe it's one of, if not, the best defensive partnership in the league, and up there with the very best in Europe too.

Ever since Carragher's injury, Skrtel's came in and done has a fantastic job along side Agger. Now Skrtel's first choice and Jamie doesn't have a sniff of breaking through that partnership. I remember a portion of fans were even saying that neither Agger or Skrtel would not have the leadership or defensive organisation capabilities required to play together.

Skrtel has always had the attributes to become a great defender, and after a promising start to his career here - after a very serious knee injury, his formed dipped and i had doubts he would ever be the same. Last season he played every minute of every game - he played regularly, but he never really played to the best of his ability.

He has great abilities as a centre back, strength, he has pace, strong as an ox but he sometimes looks clumsy, but the timing of his tackles is usually perfect - especially this season.

This season he has improved ten-fold - pre-season we looked exceptionally leaky at the back, we let in 3 goals in every premier league game, bar one, against Valencia. Early on he looked okay, but nothing brilliant - but when Carragher got dropped for Agger. He came into the team at centre back, all appearance before his injury were played at right back, and when the chance has been available for him, he has grasped it and taken it with both hands. The promising form which he showed in his early days has suddenly came back - he looks unbelievable, and looks a world class defender.

Another big advantage of having a player like him is that he can be a big threat at set pieces - he's already scored 2 this season and always looks a threat from corners and free kicks. With better delivery from these set plays - he could have had more.

The one significant advantage Skrtel has over Carragher, his is distribution. Martin is a very neat passer, he doesn't run with the ball much but every pass he does, it's usually very accurate and he can make very good forward passes which can start up attacks. Unlike Carragher who has a habit of hoofing the ball aimlessly too regularly, which causes us to lose possession and play a more dull and bland style of football.

Our other central defender, Daniel Agger is one truly fantastic player. He has all the defensive ability in the world, pace, strength and is a fantastic tackler. He's one of those defenders whose positioning is so brilliant, he isn't never required to make exgratigant risky tackles. He's already in the perfect position, ready and prepared to clear the danger away. He can read the game brilliantly - and i think that particular skill is underrated by fans.

His distribution is one of his greatest strengths - where players in any postion are in awe of his ability with the ball at his feet. Agger has a rare ability to glide past players with the ball - he just plucks up the ball in defence, and starts his run, and when in full swing, he just glides past 2 players and looks unstoppable in full-flight. Yesterday, he won the free kick by breaking through the middle with the ball at his feet - which resulted in our second goal - it's just such a great option to have a player with his ability defensively - and to have a player with his ability on the ball at his feet. Shows such confidence and is willing to do things create chances.

This season he looked decent early on, then he got that unusual rib injury which forced him on the sidelines away from the action. But now he's returned, he's looked brilliant and sharp, well he's always brilliant when on the field - but consistently brilliant, and hopefully now, his biggest burden - the injuries, are behind him, and he now can be a big solid rock in our defensive.

First time Agger's managed 10 premier league games in a row too. I hope now he's gotten over his injury woes - he deserves too.

As a centre back partnership:

They've started 10 games together, in a row in the premier league at centre back (they played more together earlier in the season but i excluded them because Skrtel played as a full back).

Our results with these two players at centre back together have been:

West Brom 0 - 2 Liverpool (0 goals conceded)
      Liverpool 0 - 0 Swansea (0 goals conceded)
      Chelsea 1 - 2 Liverpool (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 1 City (1 goal conceded)
      Fulham 1 - 0 Liverpool (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 0 QPR (0 goal conceded)
      Aston Villa 0 - 2 Villa (0 goal conceded)
      Wigan 0 - 0 Liverpool (0 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 1 Blackburn Rovers (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle (1 goal conceded)

During those games with Agger and Skrtel as our centre backs, we've conceded 5 goals - which is an amazing tally. Over a season, if you kept that up over a duration of a season - we'd only have conceded 19 goals in a premier league season. Which would be one of the best premier league defensive records known.

We've kept 5 clean sheets during those games, we haven't conceded more then once in a single match and a couple of those goals were very lucky - Newcastle and Blackburn being the prime examples.

Skrtel:

Tackles during those games:

Won - 28
      Lost - 5

Succes rate = 82.143%

He's also successfully completed: 14 interceptions and 12 blocks.

Agger:

Tackles during those games:

Won - 29
      Lost - 17

Success rate = 41.348 %

He's also successfully completed: 28 interceptions and 9 blocks.

So we all know how great they've been and currently are, but how good can they be? And how do they compare to other great defenders across England and Europe? I think they're both brilliant - easily the best in the premier league. Defiantly one of the best in Europe and arguably the best, in my opinion.

Just thought it'd make a good discussion talking about, probably, our strongest position - our defence overall.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: The Agger - Skrtel partnership: how good is it?
      Reply #1: Dec 31, 2011 11:54:15 pm
      Also have to mention the full backs they have been excellent at the back four on problem with Enrique is he is so predictable when he has the ball he will do whatever he can do to get the ball on his left only problem though and easy to fix great future we have at LFC with the defence apartment with those back four and the youngens growing up with them and carra helping them all out with experience
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2012 01:43:45 am
      Skrtel is much improved since Kenny came in, he's cut out those rash challenges and stays on his feet more. He's strong, quick, good in the air and can carry the ball out of defence. IMO Agger has been our best centre back for the last few and has only been held back by his terrible injury record.

The stats speak for themselves, hopefully they can keep injury free and continue their excellent form. Think the form of Johnson and the addition of Enrique has just settled things nicely too.

Knowing we have Carra and Coates in the wings just underlines how strong our squad is getting.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2012 05:33:53 am
      Skrtel is much improved since Kenny came in, he's cut out those rash challenges and stays on his feet more.

This for me is why they have played so well together - Skrtel is not giving away those stupid free kicks that made him some kind of liability at times.  Without that he is quite a solid defender - is this the same player sent off at Spurs?
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2012 06:49:09 am
      Best CB partnership of the league actually.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2012 07:19:00 am
      I remember not so long ago people saying we should sell them both! Madness, and I said at the time both were brilliant centre backs. Now that Agger is fit, and Skrtel has a long term defensive partner they are both proving to be fantastic defenders, and forming a fantastic partnership.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2012 01:20:05 pm
      I'm in love with our entire back four at the moment.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2012 01:27:38 pm
      I'm in love with our entire back four at the moment.
      This.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2012 01:29:47 pm
      That good, the last two players to score against us was our own. ;D
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2012 02:40:58 pm
      The best in europe if you askme especially with the help of Lucas/spearing/Enrique
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2012 04:27:41 pm
      Superb defensive partnership,best since Carra & Hyppia,and Hyppia & Hensho, a massive pat on the back must go to Steve Clarke, we have fantastic back -up in Carra and Coates to,the full backs have been immense also especially Enrique who for me has been buy of the season,

again we have excellent back up for those positions with young Flanaghan and Robinson, and not forgetting Martin Kelly who would all fit in without any fuss,if no one can see what Kenny is building then they trully are blind and in desperate need of a reality check.

IKWT    YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2012 04:33:05 pm
      Its come good and will keep getting better

Skrtel has improved beyond all recognition. Defending superbly but now a threat in the other box and also looking comfortable on the ball.

Agger! Please God his injury crux is over. Hes a gem. Unreal with the ball and vocal.

As a partnership they have blossomed. One thing though, they have been lucky they have had Enrique added to the team!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2012 05:07:45 pm
      F***ing mint is how id rate these two,absolutley brilliant,as is our entire back four,agger reminds me so much of hansen its incredible,he just glides with the ball,and finally looks over his injuries(touchwood),very impressed eith the pair of them.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2012 05:53:49 pm
      THE BEST DEFENSIVE RECORD IN THE LEAGUE.................. ..SAY NO MORE!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2012 06:09:12 pm
      Solid.

Neither have made any major errors that puts them out of the starting 11. I remember one of the games which Carragher came on as a substitute and played in a defensive midfield role and he almost made a costly mistake.

We currently have the best defensive record in the league as well.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2012 08:00:22 pm
      It just goes to show that keeping the same back four brings consistency. We have the best back four in the country at present.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2012 08:38:59 pm
      And a word for Rafa as when he signed them  said they are the future of our back four, if Agger hadnt had so many problems they would have been playing together for a while. But the whole defensive unit is looking great and with fantastic youngsters in reserve were looking good for years to come.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2012 11:13:30 pm
      Really pleased with Agger and Skrtel this season but you have to give credit to Glen Johnson and Jose Enrique as well as our whole back four is so solid at the moment and our defensive record proves this.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2012 12:18:52 am
      Although Carragher, Agger & Skrtel have all played together as a pairing at times, this is the first time since Carragher & Hyppia that I feel we have a partnership.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #19: Jan 03, 2012 12:38:16 am
       They have  been on fire al season,Touch wood none of them get injured and can keep it up for the rest of the season!!!!

West Brom 0 - 2 Liverpool (0 goals conceded)
      Liverpool 0 - 0 Swansea (0 goals conceded)
      Chelsea 1 - 2 Liverpool (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 1 City (1 goal conceded)
      Fulham 1 - 0 Liverpool (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 0 QPR (0 goal conceded)
      Aston Villa 0 - 2 Villa (0 goal conceded)
      Wigan 0 - 0 Liverpool (0 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 1 - 1 Blackburn Rovers (1 goal conceded)
      Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle (1 goal conceded)

I think they can form one off the best partnerships in europe at this stage great to see another Hyypia Carragher going on here..

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #20: Jan 03, 2012 11:01:37 am
      Awesome they have been so so solid. Steve Clarke obviously knows his onions. Two very different types who compliment each other perfectly now they have a game plan that works (zonal defending adios).
      We must however start to capitolise on our brilliant defending...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2012 11:47:03 am
      Beasts.

Our defence both now and in the future is sorted.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Feb 27, 2012 07:24:52 pm
      So with Agger out for a bit with the rib issue we have Carra and Coates to fill in, downside is Carra does not have the legs he used to and Coates does not have the experience.

Does anyone see us going with a 3 in the back built around Martin and playing a 5- man midfield? My feeling as I stated is the Arsenal thread is that with the league cup sorted and the FA still ongoing we can go for broke in the league now as we have nothing to lose and everything to win.

Quick Reply