Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool won't appeal Suarez ban

Read 52462 times
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Liverpool won't appeal Suarez ban
      Jan 03, 2012 06:37:27 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/statement-from-liverpool-fc

Statement from Liverpool Football Club
      It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.

Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match.  The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season.  This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter.  There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion.  The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012 07:12:38 pm by JD »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Liverpool not to appeal Suarez ban
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2012 06:38:46 pm
      We're not appealing the ban, pit of a mistake in the title. I get the impression that liverpool wanted to appeal it, but decided against it to stop it dragging on.

Edit: I see it's changed.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2012 06:39:37 pm

So, we make the decision not to appeal BEFORE tonight's game, and he won't be playing tonight ? Weird decision.

EDIT: He returns for the game at the Old Toilet. That is why he is starting to serve his ban tonight.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2012 06:40:18 pm
      Looks like LFC wants to get this over with. They at least made a point about the injustice that has been done to Luis and the kangaroo court that the is the FA.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/statement-from-liverpool-fc

Statement from Liverpool FC

It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.

Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match.  The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season.  This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter.  There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion.  The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2012 06:41:33 pm
      I trust the club know what there doing, even though I personaly dont understand this myself, either they knew it was a losing battle to start with or a dissision has been made by both Luis and the club?
       Hate to see the cheats winning again.
      I'd love to know what Luis' thoughts are on this though!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2012 06:42:26 pm
      I undestand the clubs reasoning but I'm gutted, to be honest. I really hoped we'd take the matter further and show the FA for what they are.
      danwarb
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2012 06:42:26 pm
      Best way to handle it from here I think.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2012 06:42:35 pm
      Am very surprised that we will not be appealing the decision  ???
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2012 06:43:01 pm
      We knew we were never going to win the appeal ! Not happy one bit :(
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2012 06:43:10 pm
      Pisses me off to be honest, if I was Luis I'd be going after the FA foe defamation of character. Unfortunately for Luis a point had to be made and the time, place and evra suited.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2012 06:44:40 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/statement-from-luis-suarez

Statement from Luis Suarez
      First of all I would like to thank everyone so much for all the help and support I have received during these last few weeks.

Thank you to my family, my friends and everybody at LFC (the staff, manager and coaching staff, the directors, my team mates and everyone who is working on a daily basis for this great club) and thank you especially to all the fans who made sure I never felt let down for one second. During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means.

Like many of you I was born into a very humble family, in a working class neighbourhood, in a small country. But I was born and raised learning what respect, manners and sacrifice mean. Thanks to my family, from my first club where I started playing, to my transfer to Holland in Europe, I learned the values which made me the person I am now. Never, I repeat, never, have I had any racial problem with a team mate or individual who was of a different race or colour to mine. Never.

I am very upset by all the things which have been said during the last few weeks about me, all of them being very far from the truth. But above all, I'm very upset at feeling so powerless whilst being accused of something which I did not, nor would not, ever do.

In my country, 'negro' is a word we use commonly, a word which doesn't show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse.  Based on this, everything which has been said so far is totally false.

I will carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who hasn't done anything wrong and who feels extremely upset by the events. I do feel sorry for the fans and for my team mates whom I will not be able to help during the next month. It will be a very difficult time for me.

The only thing I wish for at the moment is being able to run out again at Anfield and to do what I like most which is playing football.

Thank you very much.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012 07:12:21 pm by JD »
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2012 06:44:54 pm
      Will Luis still be able to play today?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #12: Jan 03, 2012 06:45:05 pm
      its a good thing the only thing they can't control are the centre backs luis will beat in our race for the title
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #13: Jan 03, 2012 06:45:46 pm
      Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of the British legal system but does this leave Luis or LFC an avenue by which to take this issue past FA and to British courts, possibly for slander or defamation?

chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #14: Jan 03, 2012 06:46:27 pm
      Very surprised by this I wonder who made the call Luis or the club?
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #15: Jan 03, 2012 06:47:41 pm
      So he will be back against the Scums at their own ground.Perfect timing for him to make a return.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 03, 2012 06:47:50 pm
      I think its a poor dessision all round, 1 person said he said, 1 person recives 8 match ban........dont think the fa have seen the last of this. pleanty of players out there that could try this now!

Anyways on-wards and upwords......on to citeh!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #17: Jan 03, 2012 06:47:51 pm
      Will Luis still be able to play today?

No.

But he will be back for the United, Everton and Arsenal triple header. Maybe earlier if we beat Oldham on Friday.

EDIT: He will be back for Spurs on 6 February if we beat Oldham on Friday.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2012 06:48:12 pm
      Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of the British legal system but does this leave Luis or LFC an avenue by which to take this issue past FA and to British courts, possibly for slander or defamation?
      I don't know if such an avenue exists after deciding not to appeal against the FA charges but the whole tone of the club's statement suggests they have no intention of continuing to discuss the matter at all and want an end to it.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #19: Jan 03, 2012 06:48:59 pm
      Still think they'll take it to the High Court?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Jan 03, 2012 06:49:22 pm
      Ah fook it. We have let them off the hook. C**ts must be laughing at us

Wonder if the media and racisim groups who advised us not to appeal will now applaud the clubs decision? I fooking doubt it

Lets go and get 3 points now to cheer us all up
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #21: Jan 03, 2012 06:49:33 pm
      Hopefully Kenny has an alternate striker in mind that we are going to go after in the transfer window?
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2012 06:49:56 pm
      think this matter will be settled on the pitch with Evras legs snapping

Quick Reply