Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Jose Enrique
      (13.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (25.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (8.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (16.1%)
      Jay Spearing
      (23.4%)
      Someone else
      (12.1%)

Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 40122 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: LIVE: Man City v Liverpool
      Reply #621: Jan 03, 2012 10:05:52 pm
      Worst I've seen Reina play for a long time, didn't look comfortable and composed at all and shouldn't have made the howler he did!!

We were probably the better team over the course of the game but we were never going to win that. It was the wrong line up from the start! No way should Bellamy have been on the bench and Kuyt playing and I'm sorry but these games you have to take a chance with Gerrard and start him. Adam was again woeful as ever, i am yet to see this great passing he can do because he is passing it to the other team nearly all the time!

Henderson is improving further and showing Adam how to pass, that ball through to Downing was inch perfect! Just a shame it was to Downing!

THis game has showed us again why we need to go and buy a top quality finisher who has a bit of pace about him, Carroll could become a good player but we aren't going to win a lot if we are relying on him to get the goals, especially when the only person who has the ability to pick him out near enough every time is on the bench!

Think our biggest threat going forward was Enrique until Bellamy and Gerrard came on.

We need to move on from this and really bloody well go for it because this was our chance to put some real heat on Chelsea and Arsenal.

Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #622: Jan 03, 2012 10:05:58 pm
      City were there for the taking today by any decent team but, our performance was far from decent. We lacked any sort of real attacking threat whatsoever.

I'm not sure what the answer is, as we can't just keep going out paying big money for players that aren't going to cut it. Somehow, we need to make what we have work.
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Re: Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #623: Jan 03, 2012 10:06:19 pm
      Definitely need another striker badly, don't really even have anyone on the bench now to bring on.

Giving them a 2-0 lead and after that not much Carroll could do even if he got decent service. He was the only in the box for nearly every cross which city's central pair had no problems dealing with. Needed someone else in the box badly to divert attention and give any sort of chance.

We just had too many mistakes this game, swear we gave away the ball 3-4 times in the first five minutes which eventually cost us.

Maxi needs to get some gametime, only one who did anything remotely inventive in the box
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #624: Jan 03, 2012 10:06:28 pm
      Striker please Kenny if ever we needed a reason to strenghten it was that display great up until the final third then nada cos Andy is so one dimensional !
      This, wouldn't entirely agree about Carroll tho'.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #625: Jan 03, 2012 10:07:20 pm
      I think we were just unlucky and Kuyt made a mistake for the first goal. We missed Suarez and with his vision we could have easily won this. I was suprised Kuyt was in the starting lineup. I love him but he's out of form.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #626: Jan 03, 2012 10:08:41 pm
      "It says something about Liverpool's progress over the last four years that Craig Bellamy looked their best player."

Twitter Comment:

BBC Sport.
      Shockingly true mate.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #627: Jan 03, 2012 10:10:31 pm
      Id don t think anyone will argue the Carroll Downing money could have been better spent, saying that though Henderson will be a top player.

Thought Agger Skrtel and Spearing were our best players. We are about 2 top top players away
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #628: Jan 03, 2012 10:11:33 pm
      Well, lets agree that we disagree :)

All foreplay, but no sex...

Funnily enough I'm not sure we're disagreeing - as I couldn't agree more with the analogy. It's just that we're not missing "that" much, just the bit that really matters - if you get my point!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #629: Jan 03, 2012 10:12:18 pm
      I went to the pub to watch this, had my jacket and keys nicked at half time and then saw us plonk to defeat.

Wish I'd stayed in and had a w*nk instead.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #630: Jan 03, 2012 10:12:34 pm
      We are about 2 top top players away

Winger & striker or
      Creative mid & striker or
      Creative mid and winger?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #631: Jan 03, 2012 10:13:06 pm
      Decent first half, created a couple of chances.
      Mistakes cost us. Go in 2 down.
      Poor second half. Did we create a chance against 10 men?
      We had good posession and City did NOT outplay us, just out-scored.
      To be honest it was painful to watch in the 2nd half ie. w.r.t. our efforts to score.
      We were clueless. Kompany and Toure had Carroll wrapped up. We kept pumpin balls in, they kept headin them away.
      Sure, some of the service to Andy wasn't great.
      But the f***in problem is that when he's our one up front, that's all we do. And tonight City coped easily.
      And we had no plan B.
      If Suarez had been available Andy would not have started and we'd have played a completely didn't forward game, plenty of movement, sharp passing, pace.  Everything that we didn't have up front tonight.
      Big concern now for the games without Suarez. It's not just that Andy is not in form, but a bigger problem is that the game we play to suit him is much easier to shut down, it's one dimensional, and even tonight when it CLEARLY wasn't working we didn't seem to be able to change.
      Would be easy to say tonight that mistakes cost us - but the fact is we created very little at the other end.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #632: Jan 03, 2012 10:13:21 pm
      Really disappointing performance tonight. The team just felt wrong from the beginning. Yes it was typical in that we struggled to finish chances. But that was the least of our problems. Reina was shaky, the midfield was awful in defense, they struggled to support Carroll, they gave away possession, they looked out of sorts. Just an all-around bad day for LFC.
      Yet we were the better side in both halfs, and the difference is they have players who can stick that wee round bag of air into the net, that and quality players who do their job reasonably well,whereas,we have Adam,Hendo,Downing,Kuyt, Carroll who cant, again the support for Andy was dismal at best, we never looked like scoring,we could play all f***in month like that and would'nt score,
      Suarez was missed, and should have been allowed to play imo, we played with a lone striker who had limited support,

soft first goal, thanks to Kuyt, no complaints for their 2nd, and the pen was a bit soft tbh,

disappointed,but it's not the end of the world, we can still take positives from tonight, ie; how we can dominate strong sides away from home,with a weakened side.

IKWT     YNWA

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #633: Jan 03, 2012 10:15:37 pm
      I think left midfielder/ creative midfielder someone like Mata or Silva and striker brian mate 
      Cockney Paddy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      • ONE LUIS SUAREZ
      Reply #634: Jan 03, 2012 10:16:18 pm
      Don't worry lads, we have Dalglish, we'll be back soon, we dominated them
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #635: Jan 03, 2012 10:16:39 pm
      Wished we had started with Gerrard and Bellamy instead of Adam and Kuyt seeing we've not got a league game this Saturday.

I think left midfielder/ creative midfielder someone like Mata or Silva and striker brian mate 

Yeah, we do and a striker who can create a chance for himself and at the same time take the chances created for him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #636: Jan 03, 2012 10:17:03 pm

2 of the players we could have signed :(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #637: Jan 03, 2012 10:17:58 pm
      I still feel a  bit perplexed at the Luis saga and cant be to bothered about the result.To the best of my knowledge this is the first time in the clubs history they have not stood side by side with the fans.
      Didnt look likely to get a result after Downing bottled it early on and thats the difference between us and those above we have no cutting edge in the box and wont have for 8 games.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #638: Jan 03, 2012 10:18:15 pm
      I think Mata was a massive miss,Downing was signed instead to provide delivery from wide positions
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #639: Jan 03, 2012 10:18:17 pm

Annoying to think we could have had both players you mention!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #640: Jan 03, 2012 10:18:42 pm
      Don't worry lads, we have Dalglish, we'll be back soon, we dominated them
      I'm starting to think you are not even a Liverpool supporter
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #641: Jan 03, 2012 10:19:36 pm
      I think Mata was a massive miss,Downing was signed instead to provide delivery from wide positions
      Enough said I think.

If we keep Carroll, we need to think about buying a player(s) to give him real service. Shockingly so, because as you said, Downing was bought to do that, and he isn't.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #642: Jan 03, 2012 10:20:18 pm
      We need a goalscorer and someone to eliminate defenders
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #643: Jan 03, 2012 10:20:21 pm
      2 of the players we could have signed :(

Not sure if I need glasses, but I thought we were just about the better team, kept it better, passed it well.
      Just up front we looked like a 1 year old trying to undo a lace.
      If we buy someone, it needs to be a striker.
      City did defend well in fairness. Kompany deserved the MOTM
      I gave Agger the LFC one.

Quick Reply