Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Jose Enrique
      (13.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (25.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (8.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (16.1%)
      Jay Spearing
      (23.4%)
      Someone else
      (12.1%)

Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 40074 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #736: Jan 04, 2012 12:22:31 am
      Hoganov, what are his strengths?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #737: Jan 04, 2012 12:28:27 am
       I actually thought we played quite well, but the King was right when he said we weren't clinical enough. In that dept, it was men against boys. It also helped them that hey had comfortably the two best players on the pitch in Kompany and Ya Ya Toure. I hope they win the title because they're the best team, and they aren't Man U.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #738: Jan 04, 2012 12:34:25 am
      Didn't think we created much. Miss a spark.

Not clinical has been a problem in nearly all our games this season but probably not this one for me. Downing aside.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #739: Jan 04, 2012 01:10:01 am
      Gutted  :f_wah:

But I'm remembering where we were this time last season  :o

So onwards and upwards, we are  progressing, but it will take time.

That early goal buggered us up big time tonight, Pepe looked very shaky after that I thought.

I'm screaming at Downing to take the ball down to the by-line and get it over instead of cutting in all the time  :mad: He should be brave enough to take his man on and at least have the chance of getting a corner.

Players need to move more, look for some space, help each other out instead of just standing there and waiting for the ball to come to them, this is where we miss Suarez, as he's brilliant at going after the ball. Bellamy does too, he's a master at it.

Why on earth do we pump the ball onto Carroll's head every time?? we never give it to him to his feet, when he's up against 3 or 4 big defenders, the lad has no chance  >:(

We are toothless in the final third, we need to grow a pair, get up and support each other.

Rant over.

Good points -

Didn't expect us to win, but I was hoping for a draw, felt for Pepe when he cocked up that first goal, he was so gutted wasn't he  :( I really thought we had some very good spells of possession in the game, just didn't do enough with it, unfortunately.

And I thought it was a very soft pen for them, jammy bas**rds  :f_steam:

At least we didn't get beat 6-1 anyway  :f_whistle:
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #740: Jan 04, 2012 01:11:20 am
      Thought the performance was ok to be honest.  We had them pegged back for large portions of the game and if Downing had scored - who knows.  Thought the 3-0 flattered them as the penalty looked like a dive.  Again, being clinical is the issue.

I think that City show what a lot of money and a bit of patience can do.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #741: Jan 04, 2012 01:27:17 am
      His strength is 6'3" 22yrs old striker the day we bought him from Newcastle.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #742: Jan 04, 2012 01:36:54 am
      Amazing.  33 out of 38 passes succesful.  Oh hang on.  They were all backwards.

Nice one.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #743: Jan 04, 2012 02:03:31 am

Nice one.

Oh my sweet lord and all that is holy in this universe.

That is not a good statistic.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #744: Jan 04, 2012 02:34:03 am

Nice one.

The worrying thing about that, is he didn't even deliver one pass into the box.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #745: Jan 04, 2012 02:51:09 am
      I see where you are going so..

Did we lose today because Carroll missed some easy chances?

Today might have been the service mate (I was working so I didn't even watch today, I'm only generally speaking), but there were quite a few games we could've won with better finishing. Sometimes it's one problem, sometimes the other, but all in all I don't think our problems are so black or white, it's somewhere in between. Honestly think we try to jump into conclusions way too fast, only 2 or 3 games ago it was almost consensus that our only problem was finishing...
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #746: Jan 04, 2012 03:14:52 am
      The worrying thing about that, is he didn't even deliver one pass into the box.

How often was there anyone in the box AND unmarked OR moving into space for him to aim at?

I'll give you a clue...mostly, the square root of Porthcawl.

Not saying Downing is all that great, mind you, but at least make the criticisms of him valid.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #747: Jan 04, 2012 03:18:45 am

Not saying Downing is all that great, mind you, but at least make the criticisms of him valid.

Well Carroll was in the box nearly the entire match. In fact, those stats state, he didn't even deliver one pass into the box for Carroll.

EDIT: in fact, those stats state, he barely even passed it forwards.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #748: Jan 04, 2012 03:31:29 am
      Sh*t happens, City homeground is difficult place to go, they havent lost a point in there and problably wont lose mańy. Lets take wins from Oldham and Stoke and then our confidence is back and we can do a winning streak :) After that our position is very good. (It isnt bad even now, only 2 points from Arsenal and 3 from Chelsea)

Life Of Brian - ALways Look On The Bright Side Of Life!

Every year for about 20 years it seems like, people like you talk about the rosy future and the winning streak we are going to go on, only to be disappointed when we stumble straight away.

Who knows, maybe this time your optimism will prove well founded. We can hope but I wouldn't put much money on it.

Let's face facts...we have a bunch of players who are really mid-table level and our handful of top guys are fighting a losing battle to work with them...it must feel like running through sand for them.

Yeah, we may scrape 4th because Chelsea and Arsenal are about as reliable as us but anything higher than that is going to take some serious rethinking I believe.

Oh, and Andy Carroll....he is so effing feeble in the air he makes Crouch look like a powerhouse...I thought he was supposed to be some kind of hard case. Looks like a lost little boy to me. Not worth 35,000 right now never mind 35 mill.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #749: Jan 04, 2012 03:37:01 am
      A further thought....Bellamy looks to be our best forward player right now but most people didn't seem to rate him before and Rafa didn't seem overly impressed and Kenny doesn't seem to want to play him much...WTF is going on there? I'd play him as much as he is capable of playing because we look much better with him than without.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #750: Jan 04, 2012 03:45:07 am
      A further thought....Bellamy looks to be our best forward player right now but most people didn't seem to rate him before and Rafa didn't seem overly impressed and Kenny doesn't seem to want to play him much...WTF is going on there? I'd play him as much as he is capable of playing because we look much better with him than without.

I think Bellamy has weak/bad knees and Kenny would rather work him in 40-30 min shifts than a full 90 min. That's just a guess.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #751: Jan 04, 2012 03:55:25 am
      Really believe Andy will come good.
      He is never going to be a 20 a season kind of player but with the right service from the flanks, Gerrard back and fully fit and Suarez getting more used to Andy's role then i can see it all working out.
      To me it just shows how much we:
      -Miss Lucas
      -Need Downing to step up his form or to move him to the left wing more consistently so as to stop his backwards runs and passes. Get him to just keep  it simple and just cross without having to maneuver the ball back to his left peg or to try and beat a man and attempt a weaker cross with his right.
      - Need to play Maxi out on the right game in game out.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #752: Jan 04, 2012 05:57:32 am
      I still think the likes of Gerrard and Bellamy should be starting then MAYBE taken off when they've got us in a comfortable lead.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #753: Jan 04, 2012 06:42:02 am
      i thought our attacking play was very one dimensional and very frustrating to watch... only the last 20 minutes i swear we actually penetrated the box? and what about crosses did anyone get near the byline before swinging one in? i was frustrated watching this one. stevie tried making something happen especially in the last 10-15.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #754: Jan 04, 2012 06:43:28 am
       I am so annoyed City were there for the taking and we stuffed up,for a while I have been saying that Downing just needs to score a goal to give him some confidence.After that miss in the first few minutes I have come to the conclusion that he will never score.Now I do not know if I am looking at the play the wrong way but was Stevie playing on the left hand side when he came on, cause if he was he was wasted there.All in all it was a miserable wet night at City and an even more miserable result.The one thing that gives me hope is I know we can/will beat the basta*ds in the Carling Cup next week.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #755: Jan 04, 2012 07:32:51 am
      Well we lost this game 3-0, where in fact we dominated possession, and the play. That was by far the worst i've seen City - which is a credit to us, for reducing their game.

Their first goal was lucky; Kuyt stupidly lost the ball, sloppily, City got the ball to Aguero - may i add, by a beautiful first time pass from Silva. The shot was dipping very quickly and hit extremely hard - but a keeper of Reina's quality, should be saving that all day long.

Their second goal, was disappointing. We should have defended much better from the corner, especially after previously to that, Pepe was forced into a brilliant save only seconds before. When we played at Anfield, Kompany scored a very similar goal from the near post - after an identical cross, from Silva.

Their third was, was a sinking blow. We mess up a free kick - they break through the drive of Yaya Toure, and Skrtel slightly touches him in the box. It was a penalty, but he made a great deal out of it. He could have stayed on his feet - but he did purposely fall over, looking for it. Then the penalty was brilliantly dispatched by Milner - perhaps a couple of our players could learn from his excellent execution.

We played very well, better than City. We had Suarez, Gerrard, Lucas, Maxi, Bellamy all missing from the starting 11. Those would have made a massive difference to our game, and would have probably gave us the cutting edge upfront.

We had plenty of possession, until we got 30 yards away from their goal - then we seemed to run out of ideas.

Our goalkeeper, made that vital mistake which cost us the first, and most decisive goal. He made a good save from the corner but  as a goalkeeper, if you make a mistake, you're more than likely to cost your team a goal.

Enrique was very consistent once again, City never had the better of him defensively, and dealt with everything they gave very easily and effectively.

His offensive game was decent, but i do feel he can sometimes hold the ball for too long, which disturbs our attack, and slows it down. He never bombed down the wing like he usually does, but City did flood the wings with players, making it hard to find any space for a cross

Daniel Agger was our best player in my opinion. Never put a foot wrong, cleaned up anything City offered and his distribution was brilliant, as always.

His partner, Skrtel, was top class once again. He's really stepped it up this season, and he is finally looking like a world class defender. He and Agger kept Dzeko and Aguero quiet all throughout the game. The penalty he conceded was harsh, and very soft. There was minimal contact, at best. Although, he shouldn't have gave Toure the chance to fall and claim a penalty.

Johnson was quiet today, defensively was not too bad, but not great. Offensively he was quiet too, couple of strong runs in the first half, without the required final ball, sadly.

From the corner where they scored, Johnson shouldn't have let Yaya Toure get a run at him at the near post, he should have been much stronger, and aware of him. A mistake from Johnson which cost us a goal today.

Spearing was excellent, and probably our best midfielder too. He has shown a great character since coming back from his red card. Still went hard into every tackle, but they're timed perfectly.

His passing has greatly improved; he can take the ball from the defence, turn and make a brilliant and accurate pass straight to the winger's feet. He never seems to lose the ball either - such a really useful and very underrated player to have.

He was also the one who managed to get Gareth Barry sent off - through brilliantly winding up Barry.

Our poorest central midfielder, by far, was Charlie Adam. I think after the two poor performances against Wigan and Blackburn, coinciding with a penalty miss, an own goal has shattered his confidence - and he also looks shattered. Looks tired and is misplaying too many passes, also his ability to run with the ball has gone too.

Adam needs a few games on the sidelines. I'm glad Gerrard's back, but perhaps in the FA cup match, playing Shelvey instead, would be a good option.

Henderson impressed me today - i was expecting him to hide, but he didn't. He was demanding the ball, and played a few great passes. His first time through pass to Downing, which gave Downing a great 1v1 chance was unbelievably great. You won't see a better pass all season.

Only thing that disappointed me with those two - in the first half. Was Spearing was our defensive midfielder, giving cover so they can push forward. But both Henderson and Adam were way too deep. They were all like deep laying midfielders - it would give us much more options if one of them two pushed further 15 yards forwards, making late runs into the box. Giving Carroll more support in the box; the wingers more support, and options to pass too and if we lost possession, they could have a chance of collecting the ball. Just a lack of ambition from those two, to push forward and try to score has really disappointed me.

Downing was, pretty average once again. He never delivered any sort of decent cross for Carroll, he never really tracked back and he just seems to lack heart. He doesn't beat his man, and he always cuts inside - which makes it predictable for their defenders.

Kuyt was poor today as well. He made a sloppy pass which led to their first goal, he never created anything, never look dangerous. His biggest strengths: his grafting, and his goal poaching - have both deserted him at the moment and now he looks worse than ordinary. Great respect for him and the service he's gave Liverpool - but he needs to sincerely improve or he could be on his way out.

I think they both, let us down today. It was obvious our game plan was to get the ball wide, so they can cross it into Carroll as must as possible. Both didn't deliver enough balls for him to attack.

I thought Andy played decent today. He put a shift in, always tried getting in the box. His movement could have been perhaps better, when inside the box, but to be fair. He had no support through the middle, and he was playing against one of the best centre backs in the league, Kompany, who deservedly won MOTM.

He didn't get any quality service - i think one thing that doesn't help, is that the crosses into him have to be hit exactly perfect for him to have a chance of connecting with his head, the crosses are with pace and they're missing them too often. Just give a soft, floated ball into the box - and give big Andy a chance to attack the ball. Don't necessarily try a perfect whipped cross, because they're not getting to Carroll, properly or consistently.

I do think our entire game was involved against Carroll - which wasn't his fault fully, why it didn't quite work out. It was the fault of our wingers, and City's defence seemed to work out our plan and countered it very effectively. Towards the ladder stages of the match - there were 6 City plays in the box, and 1 Liverpool player, Carroll. We really need more bodies bursting a gut to get inside the box.

His touch looked good, secure, and he played the ball well, and neatly. Just never got the service, and not even the best can do well without quality service.

When Gerrard came on, it had an impact. He played some lovely balls down the channels and tried playing a few one-twos through a very heavily packed City's midfield. He was the only midfielder, trying to make forward runs, bursting trying to score and help the team get back in the match.

Bellamy made a big impact - he had a lot more penetration than Kuyt, offered pace down the left. Put a couple balls into the box - not trying to be too fancy with the crosses, nice medium powered cross which gave Carroll a chance to attack the ball. He had a nice shot from range which forced the keeper to save where Maxi should have done better with the rebound.

We has plenty of possession, but lacked that penetration to score and the cutting edge. City didn't have many more chances then us - it's just that they were more clinical - although that's why we're 6th, and they'e top. They've been more clinical then us all season.

Although, we can't continue to be as toothless as we are, and Dalglish said exactly that in his post-match interview. We need to take our chances.

The positives are:

We controlled a match against City - home and away.

Our defensive looks solid, once again.

Henderson's best game in my opinion - really looked a lot more confident and he's going to become a top player.

Gerrard's impact is immense, and hopefully he's edging his way ever closer.

We had some good chances in the match, if Downing had scored at the beginning of the match; i believe we would have held on, and at least have got a draw. We'd be playing into our strengths, defending deep, with a quick counter attack. We seem to play better when we counter.

Overall, i'm not happy with the defeat. But the performance was promising, and we'll never play them again this season. The lads showed great heart and kept pushing for a goal all along, and the fans were brilliant.

We won't be the only side to lose at the Eithad stadium, and we're only 3 points off 4th.   
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #756: Jan 04, 2012 08:03:17 am
      Very frustrating performance, and an avoidable defeat really.  That was a great chance for Downing and one he should have put away.  Three minutes later a gift and the whole game is changed. 

For me one of the most disappointing parts of our game is the quality of our crossing - we consistently fail to beat the first defender with our crosses, and this was again evident against City.  I think in one passage of play Toure or Kompany (can't remember which) was able to clear three successive crosses in the space of a minute at the near post area with absolutly no challenge, and I don't recall a good cross that gave Carroll any real chance to attack the ball all night.

One difference you could see between the teams tonight was the speed at which they broke forward.  City very rarely slow down and come back inside whereas we seem to do that an awful lot, and lose the forward momentum allowing the opposition to get men behind the ball.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #757: Jan 04, 2012 08:07:36 am
      Charlie Adam - that is all.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #758: Jan 04, 2012 08:31:24 am

Nice one.

Unbelievable

There really is no hiding in football these days

EDIT: Worrying when you consider what Downing was bought for

Quick Reply