Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Jose Enrique
      (13.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (25.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (8.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (16.1%)
      Jay Spearing
      (23.4%)
      Someone else
      (12.1%)

Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 39683 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #759: Jan 04, 2012 08:37:27 am
      A further thought....Bellamy looks to be our best forward player right now but most people didn't seem to rate him before and Rafa didn't seem overly impressed and Kenny doesn't seem to want to play him much...WTF is going on there? I'd play him as much as he is capable of playing because we look much better with him than without.
      Dodgy knees and 32 years of age says he can't play every game
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #760: Jan 04, 2012 08:45:57 am
      Unbelievable

There really is no hiding in football these days

EDIT: Worrying when you consider what Downing was bought for

0 goals 0 assists and not really looking like that is going to change.....amazing picture that!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #761: Jan 04, 2012 08:58:01 am
      Do not seem to be able to keep up any sort of momentum, required to propel us into a Champions league place, at the moment. Certainly seem to be lacking something at present, in midfield and attack.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #762: Jan 04, 2012 09:28:51 am
      Last night's gaff aside, I'm very happy with our defensive line up. If pushed, I'd play Kelly instead of Johnson. Maybe even push Johnson up to right midfield.

.......................R eina

Kelly.........Skrtel.... .Agger.......Enrique

Johnson....Gerrard...Luc as........Hazzard

................Suarez.. ......?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #763: Jan 04, 2012 10:01:58 am
      Last night city were sh*te and there for the taking but we were showing far too much respect to them, we invited pressure upon ourselves and nobody was hungry enough for the ball, downing fluffed his lines in front of goal which would have given us the lead.

We had no pace on the sides and i cant remember johnson making too many over lapping runs, kuyts touch was non existent, adam was poor,carroll needs to have much better movement off the ball.

When city were down to 10 men you would never of guessed it.

I was shocked at how many of the travelling fans left early and there was no YNWA at the end of the game being sung.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #764: Jan 04, 2012 10:32:08 am
      Glad to see we are not all down about last night..!!

Thats 2 games now where we have outplayed City and not got the result we deserved. I honestly dont think we are far away from being ready to push to the next level.

Poor result but sigs were there for me.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #765: Jan 04, 2012 11:13:55 am
      Amazing.  33 out of 38 passes succesful.  Oh hang on.  They were all backwards.

Nice one.

At last! Possesion and dominance mean nothing if you are just moving the ball harmessly sideways...or backwards
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #766: Jan 04, 2012 11:26:31 am
      Man City had 3 shots on target from open play in the game.  Sadly one was the Aguero goal.  Title winning team - at home?

I'm not so sure anymore they will sew the league title up.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #767: Jan 04, 2012 11:37:30 am
      Thought it best to stay out of this thread until now. Disapointing result and a really strange performance. The minute we conceded the first goal City were simply happy to let us have the ball. Not sure what the overall possession stats were but it must have been 60+ percent for the reds overall. Can't say we played poorly because we didn't as such. We dominated the match for probably 70 of the 90 minutes but a mixture of clinical finishing from them, silly errors from us and the fact we were pretty much toofless around their penalty area was the difference in the game.

I don't think the lads should have anything to fear in the next two matches against this lot.

It's also hard not to wonder how we would have fared with Luis upfront instead of Carroll? Still, 1 down 7 to go.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #768: Jan 04, 2012 11:39:56 am
      Have a feeling you're right JD.

Thinking after that one getting Suarez ban started beforehand looks to have been a smart decision.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #769: Jan 04, 2012 11:43:17 am
      Man City had 3 shots on target from open play in the game.  Sadly one was the Aguero goal.  Title winning team - at home?

I'm not so sure anymore they will sew the league title up.

We could of and should of beaten them last night as they were sh*te.
      Xavier79
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 17 
      Reply #770: Jan 04, 2012 11:59:40 am
      City had the chance to score an early (kind of lucky) goal, who put the team under pressure right from the beginning, 2nd was maybe a lack of attention in defending on the corner. City wasn't that impressive but two of their few shots on target got in. The main problem was that we dominated quite well in the midfield but seemed to have absolutely no ideas of what to do near the box area. Too many passes sideways and backwards. Carroll is having a difficult time and lots of criticism but i feel he is too often isolated in or near the box, he gets maybe too much passes on the ground and has difficulty playing them fast. Stevie understood that vs Newcastle and gave him the kind of passes he needed.
      The penalty was the icing on the s**tcake. City down to 10, and this happens!

ps: I watched the game on Canal+ and Houllier was commenting. He was almost all about City! Another thing to piss me off!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #771: Jan 04, 2012 12:04:56 pm
      For me Andy Carroll's confidence is fu**ed his body language says everything even when we score he dosen't look happy.
      We need two forwards in Jan not one or by the time Luis comes back from his "winter break" there will not be much to play for.
      As soon as Downing missed that sitter from a superb ball from Hendo you could tell what sort of night it was going to be especially after the Luis statement.
      Still pissed offfffffff.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #772: Jan 04, 2012 12:11:39 pm
      We need pace in the team,creativity and a proven goal scorer,till this happens i cant see us moving forward.

The difference was quite clear to see whenmaxi,gerrard and bellers arrived on the pitch and we picked up the tempo and found ourselves more in the city box.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #773: Jan 04, 2012 12:51:35 pm
      We need pace in the team,creativity and a proven goal scorer,till this happens i cant see us moving forward.
      True that, Henderson seems our quickest player, and although he was good, he wasn't in a 'penetrative' position like Andy was or anything. Other than that Suarez isn't slow but not lightning fast, and nor is downing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #774: Jan 04, 2012 01:32:56 pm
      Looking back on yesterday's game, I don't think we were better than City. We killed in possession yes, but we lacked any ambition, adventure, creativity, and invention in the final third. Their backline had a pretty easy game, all things said.

We had two big mistakes defensively that cost us goals in Johnson covering Toure and Skrtel nudging Toure (didn't realize how big of a game he had until now). Obviously he drew the contact and was a smart play by him. If any of guys were Toure we'd jumping up and down until we were awarded the penalty.

But with Johnson, it was a combination of bad marking mixed with good movement and an excellent delivery from Silva. My issue with the play is why is Johnson marking Yaya on a corner? He's always going to lose that physical battle. And, I think their biggest threats on corners are Kompany and Toure, more so than Dzeko IMO.

I don't think there can be too many complaints about Andy Carroll this game. His service was very poor and the midfield had dropped way too deep leaving him hopelessly isolated.

All of of Charlie Adam's faults are visible when Lucas isn't playing next to him. But I think he can pick up on Friday though. Should be a good chance to get back in the swing of things.

We only really created two good chances. The second was Carroll's header down to Kuyt, which Kompany blocked. The best chance was great ball played by Henderson to Downing, who showed zero composure in that situation. You expect better than that from a professional footballer. His first instinct was to shoot when he really should have rounded Hart by going to the center a bit. A great save by Hart, but that goal would have completely changed the game.

Dirk Kuyt was poor once again. I don't know has happened to Dirk, but he's awful this season. It's kind of sad to see after his great season last year.

Henderson was good in my opinion. He just needs to do those penetrating runs that Gerrard does. I think he needs to work on running into the box - one thing that's missing from his game.

But whatever, we played a bad game. Gotta pick it up on Friday v Oldham.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #775: Jan 04, 2012 03:44:52 pm
      I said before the kick-off that we would'nt win with Hendo or Downing on from the start, and i stand by that, maybe i missed something but Hendo disappointed again last night,Downing once again failed and JD's brilliant stat compounds it, Kuyt is nowhere near his form from last season and was at fault for the first goal losing possession to easily,

we bossed both half's imo with the difference being City's strike force being light years ahead of ours, apart from the three mentioned above we matched or bettered City in every department, and had we Gerrard,Bellers and Maxi on in their stead we would have faired much better,

the score line flatters City and once again i feel we lost points purely to lack of quality,this will be addressed in due course no doubt but like most reds the frustration we feel is unbearable at times,

i eagerly await for the Jan signings to appear and whoever they may be must impact virtually from the off, we keep losing points and that has to stop if we are to keep our CLQ  hopes alive,

had we won last night we would have been only 8pts off City and already sat in 4th, so it's like a jab on the nose that rocks us on our heels, but we will come out fighting next round and we will soon be boxing clever again.

IKWT      YNWA
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #776: Jan 04, 2012 03:55:34 pm
      When you look at Downing's passes everywhere on the pitch it gets no better either. And he isnt the only one either below are a few for you to look at.

Now comparing Johnson and Enrique, they were slightly better but neither got any crosses in.

Spearing and Adam:

And then Gerrard:
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #777: Jan 04, 2012 04:13:46 pm
      One last one, all our shots we had during the game.
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #778: Jan 04, 2012 05:59:34 pm
      When Bellamy came on he was always looking to beat the defender and frequently managed it. However, not once did Downing get past his marker. Every time he either came back inside or simply lost the ball. I was under the impression he would provide some killer balls into the box for Carroll and co to latch onto, sadly I'm very wrong! Not one prem goal or (correct me if I'm wrong) an assist this season: how bad is that?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #779: Jan 04, 2012 06:38:52 pm
      Amazing.  33 out of 38 passes succesful.  Oh hang on.  They were all backwards.

Nice one.

;D this made me laugh. Look at the number of balls in the box from our only natural winger...
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #780: Jan 04, 2012 07:33:55 pm
      one word......sh*te !!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #781: Jan 04, 2012 07:39:57 pm
      Downing has been sh*t since October. Pure sh*t.

Quick Reply