Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

World Cup winning goalkeeper Marcos announces retirement

Read 1644 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      World Cup winning goalkeeper Marcos announces retirement
      Jan 05, 2012 03:51:14 am

'Saint' Marcos.

A truly fantastic goalkeeper that rejected a move to "Arsenal and their millions" (in his words) for his love for his club, Palmeiras. One of my favorite players ever, a true legend.

News: Palmeiras goalkeeper Marcos announces retirement
      Palmeiras have announced that goalkeeper Marcos is retiring from football, the legendary player played his whole career at Palmeiras, winning several titles there, including Copa Libertadores in 1999.

He was also Brazil’s goalkeeper in the 2002 World Cup title, the last won by the country. His retirement comes as a consequence of his frequent injuries.

Marcos played 530 games for Palmeiras and it is likely he is given a role at the club. Deola is expected to become Palmeiras’ first goalkeeper from now on.

★Adeus São Marcos★ Eterno Palestrino
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: World Cup winning goalkeeper Marcos announces retirement
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2012 10:32:01 am
      What a career.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #2: Jan 06, 2012 05:48:59 am
      Fantastic career. a rear story these day's.

I thought he had retired years ago. I honestly though he was in his late 30's in 02. ha
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jan 06, 2012 08:14:22 pm
      Everyone has been expecting his retirement for quite some time now, cause he's been suffering with serious injuries for many years. So it wasn't any shock when he announced he was hanging his boots.

He might not be very famous in Europe cause he never played there, but in Brazil he's one of the most respected footballers, even rival fans (such as Corinthians and Sao Paulo fans) usually show respect for him.

He rejected an offer which would give him a lot more money at Arsenal to play for Palmeiras in the 2nd division and bring them back to the 1st. Massive respect for that. In his own words, "I stopped being just a professional when I rejected Arsenal and their millions to play for Palmeiras in the Serie B. There, I started talking with my heart".

Quick Reply