Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Craig Bellamy
      (87.4%)
      Someone else
      (12.6%)

Liverpool 5-1 Oldham: In game and Post Match Happiness

Read 35257 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Re: Liverpool 5-1 Oldham: In game and Post Match Happiness
      Reply #621: Jan 07, 2012 01:08:09 am
      I really am delighted for Andy, because that goal, was just all instinct and so came so naturally to him. It was an excellent finish that no keeper would of stopped.

Bit gutted he didn't stick that header in, but I really hope this goal gives him the boost needed to go and grab us the goals while Suarez is out and force Kenny to change the system to include both him and Suarez when the latter returns.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #622: Jan 07, 2012 01:23:05 am
      Shelvey can potentially be a world class midfielder if he comes under the tutelage of Stevie. He is a robust and a tough tackler, won some tackles in todays game and never allows the opposition midfielders the time and space, but need to improve on his overall  passing. At times it's evident that he's eager to move forward but resulted in some stray passes, needs to calm down a bit. One incident I like most is he lost the ball near to the centre circle, but he didn't give up and continue to chase for the ball and regained possesion that resulted in a goal. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #623: Jan 07, 2012 01:43:53 am
      Must say enjoyed that tinge of smoke after Oldham scored their goal!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #624: Jan 07, 2012 01:48:42 am
      Delighted Andy and Downing scored. Delighted Shelvey was on form. Delighted we hit 5 delighted Stevie looks like he was never away

Raging I know where the papers will go tomorrow!!

If it was said fan should be fooked off, if it wasnt, as Merseyside police have found it wasn't well then investigate the kids background, does he follow utd etc and then throw the fooking book at him   
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #625: Jan 07, 2012 02:19:39 am
      What a cracker by Carroll. It's sad that he doesn't get to shoot like this often in the Premier League. Glad that Downing and himself scored.

Notice how many English players at the end of the game? Carragher, Flanagan, Kelly, Spearing, Gerrard, Shelvey, Downing and Carroll. That's with Johnson and Henderson not playing!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 2810 
      Reply #626: Jan 07, 2012 02:31:02 am
      Slow start, improved as the game went on and ended up comfortable winners.

Bellamy was brilliant, Gerrard showed his class and it was great to see Shelvey, Carroll and Downing on the scoresheet. Don't care if it was Oldham's but Carroll's goal was a beauty, would have beaten most keepers.

No idea about that abuse thing, was sitting quite far away but the lad looked upset. Great to see Gerrard I think it was comfort him. Hope it's sorted and if any abuse was involved I hope the fan is banned for life. Not what we need during this tough time (never need it to be honest) and it's disappointing that it will mask what was a very good cup night at Anfield where Oldham played their part.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #627: Jan 07, 2012 02:31:42 am
      F***ing bouncing.

Weren't at our best in the first half but Stevie's penalty seemed to inspire us for a second half performance that was good enough. Finally seemed to find our shooting boots an all. Shelvey's goal was the one that impressed me the most because it brought back some happy memories of seeing a Liverpool midfielder running onto the ball and scoring. How I've missed those days. Obviously made up for Carroll and Downing to get themselves on the scoresheet after the stick they've had to endure of late. Now it's whether or not they build upon those goals.

Looked a bit shaky at the back, especially down the left, but luckily it didn't cost us too dearly. And I don't expect to see Aurelio play too often in the up coming weeks anyway so it's not a real worry.

Just chuffed.

Well on our way to our eighth FA Cup.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #628: Jan 07, 2012 03:03:46 am
       I have not seen the match so cannot comment on it,I have however seen the result and that is good enough for me.It is pleasing to see the 5 goals coming from 5 different players and bloody good to see Downing and Carroll get in on the goals.Now that they know where the back of the net is I expect to see them feature regularly on the scoresheet.From this old feller thank you Kenny and the lads you have done me proud.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #629: Jan 07, 2012 03:34:09 am
      First half of of first half - sh*te.

Once they scored? We were solid and good. Never hit any great heights but we were good and deserved the win. 5-1 flattering maybe, but hell after dominating teams and drawing I'll F***ing take it! :D

Was incredibly happy for Jonjo, Stewie and Andy. The latter two definitely needed a goal, and good for Jonjo to get that feeling of scoring in red pretty quickly to get him in the mood. And Stevie's penalty was a cracker, no-one better than him to F**k off that dreadful penalty record of late.

Bellamy though - what a pickup he is proving to be. Was super stoked when we signed him up knowing he would be good, and he is proving that so well. MOTM poll sums it up perfectly.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #630: Jan 07, 2012 04:24:58 am
      Delighted with the win :) I love the cup too, so that makes it even sweeter! Bit harsh on Oldham, the scoreline as I thought that they made a good show of themselves in the first half especially. Their goal was a cracker too.

I dunno if it was the camera angle or the view I had, or because the only sound I could hear was behind me, opposite the screen, but it was hard for me to make out the players individually in open play. Would be hard for me to talk about each individually.

Overall delighted with the win, and the scorers! Onto the 4th round we go :)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #631: Jan 07, 2012 04:30:06 am
      Quote from JD
      KD: "Scoreline a bit flattering. Oldham did very well. Getting back as quick as we did was a great help.  Important for us to give some players a run out. Lots of positives, Downing scoring, big Andy scoring, Steven with a penalty."

A bit funny really. When we should have battered teams, we're told about our bad luck. When we do batter someone, it flatters us.  ???

Ok the late goals put a better gloss on the scoreline, but from going behind, we bossed the game, had regular chances, and could have scored more.

A comfy win, a fair scoreline, and the kind of game we needed after Tuesday.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #632: Jan 07, 2012 12:43:21 pm
      Well it was our first game in our quest of winning the FA cup. We came through that test, easily in the end and in great shape, ready to move on forwards.

We had a very poor start, for the first 30 minutes, we looked legless, sloppy in everything we did, and Oldham took the incentive, and controlled the match. For the first 30 minutes, they were much better than us and they deserved their lead, through an utterly unstoppable shot. A left-footed volley from 30 yards right into the top corner, best goal i've seen this season. They should have scored earlier, when Kuqi, got past Coates, too easily, then outmuscled Carragher, and sent hit shot wide - where he should have squared it across goal, and it would have been an easy tap in.

After their goal, it shook us up, and we finally woke up and started to step it up a gear or two. We got an extremely quick equaliser, just after two minutes after Oldham scored; through a very lucky deflection from Bellamy. Shelvey cutting in from the right wing, shooting with his left and Bellamy just deflecting the ball into the net, where the keeper was diving the other way.

After we scored that goal, it gave us the confidence, momentum in the match, and we found some rhythm in our passing - after that, it looked a fairly comfortable win. We stepped it up a gear or two, and Oldham just couldn't cope with our quality.

Late on in the first half, we managed to get a penalty, when Adeyemi fouls Maxi. Gerrard stands up and calmly dispatches it into the top right corner.

After that goal right at the end of the first half, it seemed plain sailing, we controlled the tempo of the match and looked the much better side.

In the second half, we were the much more dominate side, our tails were up, our confidence was high and we had the momentum and we kept attacking them, creating chance, after chance, mainly through the brilliant performance of Bellamy. Instrumental in everything offensive and positive we did today.

We created chance, after chance in the second half with Shelvey getting a beautiful team goal, great build up play and passing, with Bellamy playing a lovely ball from the right to Shelvey making a run on the edge of the box, and calmly placing the ball into the corner of the net. He scores his first goal for us - that loan move to Blackpool has done him the world of good.

Then Andy Carroll comes on for 5 minutes, his first touch of the ball being on the edge of the box, the ball lands to hit feet - as he is turning, he connects beautifully with the ball and it goes right into the bottom right corner. Great, and well taken goal, and he deserves that goal - should do him the world of good.

Another sub arrives, in Downing, and after great build up play down the left wing, John Flanagan sends a shot towards goal, which gets deflected to Downing who does a terrific finish, another one badly needing a goal - hopefully that should give him so much needed confidence.

I think Dalglish deserves a lot of credit for this game: pre-match, a lot questioned his team selection - questioning why Bellamy was starting due to the congested January period of matches, why Carroll wasn't playing. But i think he's proved to be right tonight - Bellamy was far and away our best player, created so many chances for us, and was by far the biggest influence on our win.

Leaving Carroll and Downing out, allowed him the chance to bring on them on towards the ladder stages of the match - when we were comprehensively winning, which allowed them to play without any pressure, and they both have gotten a great goal each - great tactical subs from the King tonight, that worked brilliantly. Also taking off Auerlio after 70 minutes was a very wise thing to do, with his injury record and he got a good run out tonight.

Defensive we were poor today, Carragher and Coates were especially below their expected levels - especially earlier on in the match. I remember Kuqi, getting past both of them way too easy and spewing his chance. Coates seemed to grow into the match, i think he gets nervous towards the start of the game, but once he overcomes that, he seems to play much better. Carragher improved too, but they improved when we took control of the match, and our defence were under much less pressure.

Although we did change our entire back 4, which makes it harder to organise the back four - defences need to be regularly played along side each other, to get a reliable and instant knowhow of their positioning.

Our keeper, Reina, looked good with his shot stopping, his position was excellent as always. The goal they scored was unstoppable, Reina couldn't have done a thing, and the scorer deserves all the credit, not a thing in the world Pepe could have done to stop that. His distribution was excellent once again, got to be one of the best keeper with his feet, so calm and his passes are usually very accurate.

The only worry i had about him in that game, was his clearances from crosses and set plays. I remember him running out to punch a ball clear, and he completely missed the ball, luckily, no one was there to tap the ball in to the empty net. Couple of other times in the game, he got a fist to it, but wasn't done with great conviction, but after his mistake in the previous game, along with missing the cross completely today - he was playing it safe and just trying to clear the ball.

Our full backs were solid:

Kelly down the right looked strong, physical and he was up the pitch causing a big threat too. Kelly has a very good cross on him, and he always gives the players in the box, a chance of getting a head on the ball. Defensively i think he's the best right back we have - i've never seen anyone have the better of him, and he is great defender, he still has so much time to improve too.

I've always liked and appreciated what a talent player Auerlio is. The main thing that really impresses me, is his ability to not play for a few months - then when he does play, he plays brilliantly, like he's been playing for weeks on end. Adjusts to the pace of the game very quickly.

I really like Auerlio, he is terrific at intercepting the ball, and reading the ball so he can already get into the best position to clean up any danger that could arise. Offensive, he didn't bomb down the wing much, but he has a brilliant left foot, and he can start attacks from left back by playing brilliant passes. Brilliant left foot and he always chooses the right option to pass too.

Our central defenders were alright, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near their best games.

Carragher started shakily, and he should have tackled much stronger and quicker when Kuqi ran straight past our defence. His distribution was typical Carragher, he hoofed regularly which sometimes, lost us possession. Kuyt or Bellamy wasn't winning many headers up front. After a poor start, he improved in the second half, and we kept a very good defensive line, which is mainly due to Carragher's organisation skills.

Coates started off poorly too. He's only played a handful of games among this defence unit, so it will take time to adapt to a new style. Although, after a shaky start, he slightly improved and he started to play better, as we got better as a team. His distribution was decent, he tried to pass the ball around to available midfielders, and looked calm with the ball.

Our defensive midfielder, the terrier, or Jay Spearing as he's known, had another solid game. He got his foot stuck in, never winced out of a tackle and always gives every game 100%. He always has an effect on the game due to his work rate and willingness to get stuck him.

I am very impressed with his technical ability with the ball - i always thought, he was a limited player with the ball, but i was wrong. He has outgrown my expectations and his passing is very accurate, and he chooses the right options too. He played deeper, which let Gerrard play slightly ahead of him, making more forward runs, and he made many passes great passes and through passes for Gerrard to run on too.

Gerrard had a great game today. When he has the ball at his feet, you just feel a sense of optimism because you know he can create anything, and score from any angle - you just feel, every time he touches the ball, we might score or something special could happen.

In the first half, his passing was sloppy, especially the riskier passes he tried playing, but after that penalty, the whole team improved and he controlled the tempo of our play. Very good performance from our captain, and a great penalty into the top corner, shows his composure and the others how to score from the spot.

He's our 4th highest scorer this season - says it all about our lack of goals, and how massive he is to this team.

Great to see him get the full game, good performance and didn't seem to get tired. Another big millstone for him.

Maxi had a fairly quiet game, didn't do too much, and seemed to disappear in the game - a trait that can be frustrating of his. He had a big chance when Bellamy, on the right crossed in, and it was a simple tap in but he messed it up. A few times he came through the middle and played a couple of nice through passes, but i don't think he had the greatest game.

Shelvey had a good game, in my opinion. First half, he was played out of position on the right, but he was still a threat. He made some lovely forward passes and he gets into very smart positions to receive the ball. He played a big part in our first goal, by producing the shot that caused the deflection off Bellamy sending it into the net.

Second half, he played more centrally, and Bellamy played more on the right, and i thought Shelvey's performance improved when he moved positions. He made a few great balls to Bellamy on the right, made a few great runs into the box, where he scorer our third goal, which we need to be seeing more often. Runs from midfield into the box, giving the wide player more options.

Shelvey looks a great talent, he played great against Villa and dropped for the next few matches; i sincerely hope, he gets more playing time, because he was brilliant at Blackpool, great when he's played for us and he must be full of confidence.

Dirk Kuyt wasn't that great today. He worked hard, came wide to help link up the play, but he didn't really look anything like a threat in front of goal. He didn't get his head on any crosses, he didn't get in dangerous positions to give himself a good chance of scoring and he lost the ball regularly.

I like Kuyt, i think every Liverpool fan has a soft point for him, for his work rate and attitude, but he's in serious decline at the moment. He can't score and other then grafting, and hard work, he doesn't offer us much without his goals, he's gotten throughout his career.

Craig Bellamy was my man of the match, he had a brilliant game. He was extremely lively when playing as a striker, working hard, linking up play very well, getting in deeper areas around the box, causing Oldham all sorts of problems. He was the big difference between the teams - he was involved in everything positive we did. He scored the vital equaliser, through a luck deflection, and he also produced a beautiful assist to Shelvey.

Quite a few posters were wondering why he was playing, due to his chronic knee injury, but Kenny proved everyone wrong, and Bellamy played a brilliant game.

Andy Carroll started from the bench, surprisingly. Thought it was the perfect game to play him to start, but Dalglish didn't think so and his decision proved to work, once again. He came on from as a sub, and scored a beautiful left football goal. He has got a lovely left-foot on him - i bet Carroll's confidence has sky rocketed, and he's probably thriving to be back on the pitch again. He probably should have headed that free header, from a great cross from Downing, into the back of the net though.

The other player who's got the confidence of a rubber duck, Downing, came on and impressed me. He looked fairly sharp, and he was at the right place, at the right time, and the ball deflected to his feet after Flanagan's shot - where he put it into the net, making it look easy then it actually was.

He did a lovely cross to Carroll, as i mentioned earlier, just a weaker floated ball straight for him which gave Carroll a great chance to score - and he should have converted it.

Another important win, another step closer to our 8th FA cup and Gerrard got a full 90 minutes. With Carroll and Downing, having small sub appearances and both scoring a goal each.

Brilliant result - and after they scored, we stepped it up a gear or two and led us to a comprehensive performance, and result.

Onwards and upwards, come on you reds !!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #633: Jan 07, 2012 12:45:59 pm
      The result and the fact that Shelvet,Carrol and Downing scored is a huge credit to Kenny's selection and tactics plus Stevie playing a full game and Fabio getting some game time too all in all a very good night.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #634: Jan 07, 2012 12:55:11 pm
      I still notice nothing has been said about the start of the game and what looked like a bit of a F**k up by our ticket office, double selling certain tickets.

Heard of one ST ticket holder who walked out a couple of rows behind me after someone turned up with a ticket for the same seat. ST holder told a steward to stuff it and walked out.

Ayre may have done somethings right, but that Ticket Office is becoming one big F***ing joke.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #635: Jan 07, 2012 02:14:55 pm
      Ayre may have done somethings right, but that Ticket Office is becoming one big f**king joke.

Always seems to be a mess when they go on general sale.

Was half considering heading down last night to pick up a ticket, but as it turned out sounds like it would have been a farce - so ended up watching it in the boozer.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #636: Jan 07, 2012 02:35:12 pm
      First time in a competitive match we put in more than 3. Hope this good run will continue!
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #637: Jan 07, 2012 02:55:11 pm
      Has there been / will there be FA cup highlights on telly for the match?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #638: Jan 07, 2012 03:16:21 pm
      Has there been / will there be FA cup highlights on telly for the match?

I'd imagine it will be in the round up tonight?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #639: Jan 07, 2012 05:03:22 pm
      Didnt go and not seen any highlights yet (cant find any either!!).

Good win and great to see Jojo get his first goal for the club along with Downing and Carroll get on the scoresheet.

90mins for the skipper too.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012 05:37:36 pm by kelvo »
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #640: Jan 07, 2012 06:09:59 pm
      Thought we were a bit lucky really not to be more than 1 down before Bellamy scored. Reina, Carra and Coates very shaky to say the least.

Bellamy, Shelvey and Kelly were outstanding.

Stunner by Carroll.

Im getting worried that Stevie has a stalker................. .....sorry bad reporting it turns that Shelvey just wants to folllow in Stevies' foot steps.

^ Just my take on Shelveys' goal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #641: Jan 10, 2012 01:14:32 pm
      Oldham praise Liverpool FC and Merseyside Police for handling of Tom Adeyemi alleged racist abuse incident

LIVERPOOL FC and Merseyside Police have been praised by Oldham Athletic for their handling of the alleged incident of racist abuse directed at Tom Adeyemi during Friday’s FA Cup tie at Anfield.

In the closing stages of Liverpool FC’s 5-1 third-round victory, Adeyemi - on loan at Oldham from Norwich - appeared to take offence to something shouted from the Kop and alerted referee Neil Swarbrick before being comforted by players from both sides.

On Sunday, police investigating the incident arrested a 20-year-old man from Aintree, Merseyside on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. He was later released on bail.

Liverpool also issued an official apology to Adeyemi and, in a statement on their website, www.oldhamathletic.co.uk, Oldham thanked both parties for their continued communication and support throughout the investigation to date.

“The chairman and directors of Oldham Athletic Football Club would like to thank Liverpool FC and officers of the Merseyside Police for their concerns and painstaking efforts in investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident involving Tom Adeyemi,” the statement read.

“Excellent communication has been maintained and the club and player have been notified of every detail during the progress of the investigation. The professional standards applied throughout have been praiseworthy.”

The statement continued: “The club would also like to thank the numerous fans from Liverpool and Oldham, and also those from around the country who have sent letters of support to Tom.

“This type of incident is contained within a minority and should not deflect from a superb match that was enjoyed by both sets of club officials and fans.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news//tm_headline=oldham-praise-liverpool-fc-and-merseyside-police-for-handling-of-tom-adeyemi-alleged-racist-abuse-incident%26method=full%26objectid=30093277%26siteid=100252-name_page.html
      Redangel

• 8,268 posts | 1001 
      Reply #642: Jan 10, 2012 04:06:56 pm
      Just read about the Oldham statement on another forum . It is so refreshing to read that after all the rubbish we've had to put up with.
      I've emailed Oldham FC to say thankyou for showing the class that others could not.

instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #643: Jan 10, 2012 06:25:48 pm
      Agreed, this is refreshing to read!

Just wish the press were as quick to report this bit of news as they were in villifying Luis and Liverpool...sadly, I don't see that coming about.

Quick Reply