Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Liverpool v Birmingham - Sat 22nd Sept

Read 11000 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Liverpool v Birmingham - Sat 22nd Sept
      Sep 20, 2007 01:01:50 pm

Liverpool v Birmingham

Saturday September 22nd, 3pm

After what for me has been two poor results, time to get back on track. I would go for:

Reina

Finnan    Carra   Arbeloa  Aurelio

Pennant  Leiva   Sissoko   Babel

Kuyt  Torres

I originally posted this topic before the glitch on the forum last night, and since then we have had news of injuries to Alonso & Agger, so my selection has changed quite a bit. I would've liked to have given Babel a game up front, but with the changes needed as a result of the injuries I don't think now is the time to experiment any further. I would've wanted to play Arbeloa at left back with Aurelio in front of him & Babel up front, but with Arbeloa going into the middle I would drop Aurelio back & play Babel out on the left as he has done so far for us.

In the middle both Gerrard & Mascherano looked a shadow of their usual selves on Tuesday and I think both of them, especially Gerrard, could do with a rest. I would've played Alonso & Sissoko in the middle, but seeing as Alonso's out I'd go for Leiva, with Gerrard on the bench just in case. Now that he's going to be having a little break from European football I'd play Pennant in the Prem & keep Benayoun fresh for the CL.

Up front as I said I would've liked to have given Babel a game, if Torres gets injured Babel is the only pacey skillful player we have who can play up front, and I'd like him to get a bit of experience in the role against weaker opposition. With the changes already being made though this probably isn't the right time to experiment so I'd opt for Kuyt & Torres, arguably the strongest partnership we have. If Kuyt doesn't get a game for any reason I really think it will send out the wrong message, as he played like a lion on Tuesday & definitely deserves to keep his place.

Tactically as we're going to be lacking a little defensively I would like to see us go all out attack & make sure we score enough that it doesn't matter if we concede. Even with a weakened team we should be able to beat Birmingham by two or three, and get things back on track again.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool v Birmingham - Sat 22nd Sept
      Reply #1: Sep 20, 2007 01:14:03 pm
      I saw your original post last night Eddie and I must say I was surprised as I thought it was just me and a few others who would put Babel up front.  I think it would be an exciting prospect and maybe a bit tough for Birmingham to handle who are going to be on Torres alert all afternoon.  I know we only have 4 strikers that are being included in the current squad but who says we can't have a fifth?  If i remember rightly I think you had Aurellio on the left wing, this would be an ideal game for him to come back into the squad as it won't be too taxing and we can probably keep him on for the full 90 mins.

As for the result I'd say a comfortable 3-0 win even with the injuries we still have a decent squad and it is Birmingham at Anfield.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Sep 20, 2007 01:17:58 pm
      Got me ticket for this one!  ;D Very happy indeed!

The injuries to Alonso and Agger are certainly big blows, but in luck terms they've come at okay times! Birmingham at home isn't going to be one of our most difficult games and the month ahead isn't the most taxing fixture wise!

Good choice with Gerrard I reckon! Although I think it'll be a case of starting him and then taking him off when the damage has been done, giving Leiva a run out for the last 20 or 30 minutes!

Pennant needs to redeem himself after the other night! Wasn't exactly his shining moment getting sent off but he was playing sh*te before that too!

Hopefully it'll be a comfortable win! I missed the Derby game due to lack of money so hopefully I can witness another slaughter to make up for it!  8)
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #3: Sep 20, 2007 01:26:13 pm
      I'm going for an easy win, by 3 or 4 goals. Should be an enjoyable afternoon singing "Steve Bruce, he's got a big fat head". ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Sep 20, 2007 01:29:27 pm
      I fully expect nothing less than 3 points.  Without any excuses.

Reina

Finnan    Carra   Arbeloa  Aurelio

Pennant  Macherano   Sissoko   Babel

Kuyt  Torres

That side should be able to take the points!!
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #5: Sep 20, 2007 01:31:15 pm
      Babel up front would be an interesting prospect. For the confidence of the team we need to put in a solid 90mins with at least 2 goals to show for it. Admittedly, i am a Torres fan and would love to see him grab a brace but id much rather see a convincing performance. Glad to see Aurelio back, i really rate him...
      jay-lfc14
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -1 
      Reply #6: Sep 20, 2007 02:23:24 pm
                                                Riena
             finnan           carra                   hypia         aurelio

pennant        mash                 sissoko       babel

kuyt                     torres

that team will get 3 points easy
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 20, 2007 02:28:44 pm
      Sureley they will be fancying their chances now that our defense is so shrewed up.

I say 3-1 to us
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #8: Sep 20, 2007 03:44:47 pm
                                    reina
      finn             carra               arbeloa            risse

benayoun       masc            momo             babel

el nino          kuyt

that team should deffo take the points although whoever we send out against birmingham should roll them over .
      id give gerrard another rest ........ it shows that fukin mclaran didnt have his best interests when he played him for england when he wasnt 100% cause against porto he had a stinker
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #9: Sep 20, 2007 05:42:25 pm
      I lost 2 posts after the database rebuild, and one of them is here, well, after all, my ideal lineup is:

Reina

Finnan            Carrager             Hyypia (Arbeloa)         Riise

Pennant         Gerrard             Maschrano (Leiva)        Babel

Kuyt( Voronin)           Crouch

About the score, I think It will be 2-0, with a lot of chances createds.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Sep 20, 2007 07:24:26 pm
      I lost 2 posts after the database rebuild, and one of them is here, well, after all, my ideal lineup is:

Reina

Finnan            Carrager             Hyypia (Arbeloa)         Riise

Pennant         Gerrard             Maschrano (Leiva)        Babel

Kuyt( Voronin)           Crouch

Spot on - would bring Torres on in 2nd half when the oppo defence is shagged.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Sep 20, 2007 07:48:29 pm
      Sureley they will be fancying their chances now that our defense is so shrewed up.

I say 3-1 to us

Will their goal be another penalty!, thats the only way we conceed at the moment, I feel a conspiratory theory comming on!
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #12: Sep 21, 2007 04:46:49 am

Reina

Finnan            Carrager             Hyypia (Arbeloa)         Riise

Pennant         Gerrard             Maschrano (Leiva)        Babel

Kuyt( Voronin)           Crouch

yap, i think that crouch will start and torres will replace him during the 2nd half..  ;) ;D
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2007 10:25:25 am
      Lets just go for the kill! :P

Reina

Finnan      Carragher      Arbeloa

Mascherano
          Gerrard               Leiva

Benayoun     Kuyt          Babel

Torres

Bench: Itandje, Hyppia, Aurelio, Sissoko, Voronin
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #14: Sep 21, 2007 11:48:14 am
      We could do with the 3 points to get back on track lets hope Rafa picks a decent side.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #15: Sep 21, 2007 12:21:48 pm
      i think this match shouldn't be much of a problem. The three points will be easy to pick. I just expect a comfortable 3-0 win. I think the choice of strikers will be a bit dicey. I forsee Crouch starting this game alongside Voronnin. Torres and Kuyt might be rested b'cos of CL, likewise Gerrad
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Sep 21, 2007 12:34:46 pm
      Lets just go for the kill! :P

Reina

Finnan      Carragher      Arbeloa

Mascherano
          Gerrard               Leiva

Benayoun     Kuyt          Babel

Torres

Bench: Itandje, Hyppia, Aurelio, Sissoko, Voronin

3-5-2 might not be a bad shout actually, but I'd much rather line up like this if we played that formation:

Reina

Carra    Hyypia   Arbeloa

Finnan                            Aurelio
                        Masch     
                 Leiva         Sissoko

Kuyt    Torres

At a time when we've got a few problems with our defence anyway, we need proper wingbacks if we're gonna play three at the back, Benayoun & Babel wouldn't do enough for the team defensively. I also wouldn't like to play Finnan as a centre back and feel Hyypia is up to the job as part of a central three, his lack of pace shouldn't get exposed as much with both Carragher & Arbeloa there in support.

I definitely think Gerrard is just going to get worse & worse from now if he doesn't have a proper break though. That tw*t McLaren has pushed him too far & he needs a period of recovery to get back to his best, leave him out against Birmingham & let's see what Leiva can do.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #17: Sep 21, 2007 12:37:26 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if Torres was benched for Saturday's game as he really didn't show his ability on Tuesday evening. Granted, it was his first appearance on such a stage and that also needs adjusting to...the difference in pace between the prem and CL is very apparent. But then again, he is the money signing and the only way for him to adapt properly is to get as much game time under his belt as possible, there's no way around that. I hoping Rafa picks him, I would like to see Lucas Leiva getting a run in the middle and Aurelio return to the starting line-up. I call a win buy 2...

Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      Reply #18: Sep 21, 2007 02:40:02 pm
      3-5-2 might not be a bad shout actually, but I'd much rather line up like this if we played that formation:

Reina

Carra    Hyypia   Arbeloa

Finnan                            Aurelio
                        Masch     
                 Leiva         Sissoko

Kuyt    Torres

At a time when we've got a few problems with our defence anyway, we need proper wingbacks if we're gonna play three at the back, Benayoun & Babel wouldn't do enough for the team defensively. I also wouldn't like to play Finnan as a centre back and feel Hyypia is up to the job as part of a central three, his lack of pace shouldn't get exposed as much with both Carragher & Arbeloa there in support.

I definitely think Gerrard is just going to get worse & worse from now if he doesn't have a proper break though. That tw*t McLaren has pushed him too far & he needs a period of recovery to get back to his best, leave him out against Birmingham & let's see what Leiva can do.

I was thinking more off, the opposition worrying about us rather than the other way about. Our defence has been rock solid, bar a few penalties, and we also have (in my opinion) the best goalkeeper in the world.
      I would like to think Mascherano, Gerrard and Leiva have the ability to break anything down in midfield, anyway. I would allow Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt and Torres to roam where ever they liked, up front. Just think of the mayhem they would cause in the Birmingham defence. Then you also have Gerrard and Leiva running in from midfield.
      Would be a joy to watch!  :o
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 21, 2007 02:45:16 pm
      Reina

Finn
      Riise
      Carra
      Arbeloa

Pennant
      Gerrard
      Javier
      Babel

Torres
      Kuyt

If the game is done and dusted with 20-30 mins left to play, the changes i would like to see are Hobbs coming on, for some prem experience, Aurelio coming on for either Torres/Kuyt and putting Babel up-front & Lucas coming on for either CM
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Sep 21, 2007 02:50:43 pm
      I'd disagree with the statement that our defence has been rock solid. Before the last few games yes, but since then we haven't conceded from open play more through luck than anything else. In both the Portsmouth & the Porto games we would have conceded quite a few if it wasn't for poor finishing, and the injury to Agger is hardly likely to improve things. I also don't think our defence can be classed as rock solid whilst it's giving away so many penalties. Personally I think we should stick to 4-4-2, but if we did play 3-5-2 I'd want to see proper wingbacks who can defend.

I also think Gerrard should & will sit this one out, he needs the rest & isn't gonna start playing better again until he gets it. It's a shame Alonso's injured as we have to rethink the midfield, but I still wouldn't play Gerrard, the state he's in I doubt he'd offer much anyway.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      Reply #21: Sep 21, 2007 03:07:00 pm
      I also think Gerrard should & will sit this one out, he needs the rest & isn't gonna start playing better again until he gets it. It's a shame Alonso's injured as we have to rethink the midfield, but I still wouldn't play Gerrard, the state he's in I doubt he'd offer much anyway.

Why do you think Gerrard is in such a state! He had one bad game, and his foot is healed, so he has no excuse like everyone else. And would this not be a perfect game for him to regain his form against a (no offence) weaker team!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #22: Sep 21, 2007 03:22:06 pm
      I agree with Jrwanderer.Just seen the gerrard free kick against villa again and saw the delight on his face which I haven't seen in ages.I'd say he'd love to dominats the game.

the state he's in I doubt he'd offer much anyway.

Eddie C  would you not say that  a goal or two and a good performance  from him would get him buzzing again like at aston villa ?

Quick Reply