Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match tonight?

Pepe Reina
      20 (12.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      47 (29.9%)
      Daniel Agger
      14 (8.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      31 (19.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      40 (25.5%)
      Someone else
      5 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Man City 0-1 Liverpool: Live & Post game Gratification.

Read 47600 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Re: Man City 0-1 Liverpool: Live & Post game Gratification.
      Reply #690: Jan 12, 2012 02:16:06 pm
      That Mancini and Gerrard thing has been blown out of proportion. They disagreed and I'm sure they'll sort it out in two weeks time at Anfield. Fair play to Gerrard for his comments, Mancini's blatantly looking for Johnson to be punished by video which isn't on after what Rooney did. In his defence though, it was a reckless tackle (although not a red in my opinion).
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #691: Jan 12, 2012 02:22:33 pm
      I wonder if Man City will get done for this:

Oh wait, it's not us, of course they won't.
      It was probably some FA official anyway with his laser pen hoping Stevie would miss

The way things are going for us, I wouldn't be surprised!
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #692: Jan 12, 2012 02:26:37 pm
      That Mancini and Gerrard thing has been blown out of proportion. They disagreed and I'm sure they'll sort it out in two weeks time at Anfield. Fair play to Gerrard for his comments, Mancini's blatantly looking for Johnson to be punished by video which isn't on after what Rooney did. In his defence though, it was a reckless tackle (although not a red in my opinion).

Except it was an interception, not a tackle. Lescott didn't have the ball under his control.

smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #693: Jan 12, 2012 02:27:35 pm
      Except it was an interception, not a tackle. Lescott didn't have the ball under his control.

Look at that picture and tell me how Lescott was in danger, nope, no foul, no card.

(whoops was meant to be a  modification not quote, apologies)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #694: Jan 12, 2012 02:29:32 pm

The problem being though the way things are now if Kompany's was then that was. I personally dont feel either were, watching live last night i thought nothing of it. These things look alot worse when slowed down or shown in stills like this. Tackling is being taken out of the game. They talk about intent etc.. but anyone who has played or watched enough football will know neither of those tackles had any intent of hurting someone. Why cant the FA or Refs association see that?
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #695: Jan 12, 2012 02:31:52 pm
      The problem being though the way things are now if Kompany's was then that was. I personally dont feel either were, watching live last night i thought nothing of it. These things look alot worse when slowed down or shown in stills like this. Tackling is being taken out of the game. They talk about intent etc.. but anyone who has played or watched enough football will know neither of those tackles had any intent of hurting someone. Why cant the FA or Refs association see that?

The difference is Kompany's tackle was a scissors challenge and therefore took the man out in getting the ball. In this case, Johnson was first to the ball and didn't make contact with the player. Can hardly be a foul if he doesn't contact him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #696: Jan 12, 2012 02:32:20 pm

By the rules of the FA there is every case to answer.
      Failure to control crowd activity.
      Allowing potentially harmful items to be taken into the ground.
      Mancini would do well to concentrate on some problems nearer to home if he wants to discuss discipline.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #697: Jan 12, 2012 02:34:30 pm
      If you watch the video (ignore the title)... Johnson wins the ball and is kicked by Lescott. We were robbed, should've been our free kick! =P

http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xnm7r9_terrible-tackle_sport
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #698: Jan 12, 2012 02:36:58 pm
      The difference is Kompany's tackle was a scissors challenge and therefore took the man out in getting the ball. In this case, Johnson was first to the ball and didn't make contact with the player. Can hardly be a foul if he doesn't contact him.

Its not me who needs convicing its the FA, i dont personally think either deserve a red. The Kompany one he adjusts half way throught the tackle because he felt Nani may shift it.. There was no intent on hurting him. Jonnos one.. like i said i didnt think anything of it live and that normally tells me alot, Thats not red tinted glasses on as other fans would accuse you of, he won the ball with not touching the man.. No foul
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #699: Jan 12, 2012 02:38:09 pm
      Saw the replay of the match last night, missed a part of the 2nd half cause I was so tired and fell asleep watching us defend :D No nervousism since I already knew the result, and my bed just felt so good...

Think it showed that the generalizations being made after 15 mins of game against Newcastle about Carroll & Gerrard playing together were just that, generalizations. It's clearly not as if Stevie will cross that kind of balls twice every 10 mins as it happened then, so I stand by what I said that there was too much overreaction about it. Last night both played together again and Andy was awful.

Other than that, really happy about the game and the result in particular. Hopefully we can use that advantage in the 2nd game wisely and make it to the final. Can't wait to see us lifting a trophy again - it's been too long! From what I saw, I think Martin Skrtel was outstanding and so was Glen Johnson, two guys I really enjoy watching in a Liverpool shirt nowadays. Only seen Johnson's tackle now though, I didn't watch the mancs game in the weekend so I can't compare it to Kompany's.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #700: Jan 12, 2012 02:43:39 pm
      Mancini wants to talk abouts red cards....what about the penalty award?
      Javic's studs were under Daggers' chin ffs, in the area as well, he should have been well sent off.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #701: Jan 12, 2012 04:24:03 pm
      Thinking back on the game, we really should have tried to grab another goal, especially in the first half. We were by far the better side then, and 2-0 at half time would have been perfect.

I don't know about the Johnson tackle. Debating whether it was a tackle or interception is a moot point in my opinion. Any other day, it could have been a red. We were fortunate it wasn't because we've all seen those kinds of plays resulting in a sending off. And realistically, if that had been Richards on Agger, what would we be saying?

Anyways, Johnson was good playing out of position yesterday, except for that play in like the 43rd minute when Richards completely out muscled him and played a ball to an unmarked James Milner. Thankfully for us, Ricahrds played the ball to an unmarked James Milner ;D

Carroll played a good first half, bar his blown 1v1. Hopefully he's starting to embed himself on the team and his confidence will pick up.

Downing, for me, is still disappointing. He would release Johnson on the wing and then just stand there. Move into space already, or at least move to draw a defender away! Seems like such a simple concept to me (It must be if I understand it!). But, maybe he was out of it with his arrest and all.

I thought Kenny got it right yesterday except for one thing. I would have taken off Carroll for Kuyt and dropped him into midfield. Then, move Bellamy up top. When we parked the bus in the second half, we were never going to score on a counter with Andy up top. Nothing on Carroll, speed just isn't his thing. Having Bellamy up top would have been a threat to City's backline and could have prevented them from piling on pressure out of fear of a counter.

But can't really complain though. 90 minutes from Wembley if we keep our heads.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #702: Jan 12, 2012 05:54:45 pm
      Mancini and Gerrard have Tunnel Disagreement

Listen to Stevie giving out to Manchini..............
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #703: Jan 12, 2012 06:13:22 pm

As he should. Gerrard is absolutely right. Well done, cap'n.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #704: Jan 12, 2012 06:30:01 pm
      Anyone know what the hell Mankini was saying? He sounds like a dog with peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #705: Jan 12, 2012 06:41:15 pm

Been saying this all day mate.  A "tackle" means that the other player has the ball.  Lescott didn't have the ball as Glen intercepted the pass.

Nani had the ball when Kompany "tackled" him. 

Still wouldn't surprise me though if Glen got a 3 match ban for it.
      seacol
      • Forum John Toshack

• 266 posts |
      Reply #706: Jan 12, 2012 06:55:04 pm

Lads this is a straight red...hard for the referee to see at the time but hes off the ground and 2 feet in the air so by the letter of the law its a red. We must count ourselves very lucky to of gotten away with this. Stevie is the captain so obviously he will protect his players and lets be honest mancini is a cry baby. The bloke is screaming for more $$$ to buy players for christ sake!!! Anyone one of his players on the pitch yesterday would of started for any prem or top league team!!!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #707: Jan 12, 2012 06:59:08 pm
      Absolutely brilliant result, we did what we had to do and did it well ! takes me back to the late 70's and early 80's  when did this sort of thing day in day out !

It's only Gerrard turning into Rooney !
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #708: Jan 12, 2012 07:06:13 pm
      Not a red card for me ! it's just Glenn winning the ball which was 50/50 ,if he'd pulled out then he would'nt be doing the job right ! would have carded Nasri for his moaning at Carra , impressed by Bellers again ,always running ,job half done ! finish it at Anfield ,
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #709: Jan 12, 2012 07:07:12 pm
      Lads this is a straight red...hard for the referee to see at the time but hes off the ground and 2 feet in the air so by the letter of the law its a red. We must count ourselves very lucky to of gotten away with this. Stevie is the captain so obviously he will protect his players and lets be honest mancini is a cry baby. The bloke is screaming for more $$$ to buy players for christ sake!!! Anyone one of his players on the pitch yesterday would of started for any prem or top league team!!!
      If you'll excuse the pun thats a little over the top mate !
      The balls travelling along the GROUND, Johnson's following it in at floor level and Lescott's coming from a different angle, the Balls Glens Target and he achieved it the only contact between the two players is Lescott on Johnson !
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #710: Jan 12, 2012 07:40:54 pm
      Made up with the win last night. Ppl seriously pissin me of sayin city where missin their three best players. Ye well we wer missing two of our best suarez and lucas. So many arguments i had today in work haha
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #711: Jan 12, 2012 07:49:38 pm
      Great result last night, 1st half we were excellent but we sat back too deep in the 2nd and just invited pressure.

Thought it was a great sub Enrique for the (again) poor Downing but it turned into chaos, as from where I was seemed, there were no instructions and we were playing with a flat back 6! How often to hear "Attack Attack" when we are 1-0 up away from home in a knockout comp?

Stevie was my MOM and thought Bellamy worked his balls off but that restricted him going forward and Carroll was way to isolated especially in the 2nd half. Missed the Johnson "tackle" but from what I remember, no one from their team appealed it anyway??

2nd leg should be a proper Anfield night, cant wait!!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #712: Jan 12, 2012 08:45:04 pm
      If Kompany's take was red then so was Johnson's, but like so many decisions this season its the inconsistancy one ref will one won't and that must be so frustrating for the managers

Quick Reply