Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your man of the match tonight?

Pepe Reina
      20 (12.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      47 (29.9%)
      Daniel Agger
      14 (8.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      31 (19.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      40 (25.5%)
      Someone else
      5 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Man City 0-1 Liverpool: Live & Post game Gratification.

Read 47706 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Man City 0-1 Liverpool: Live & Post game Gratification.
      Reply #621: Jan 12, 2012 02:25:53 am
      2 footed tackle near the end of the game, won the ball, but it was a bit wreckless.

Ah! Forgot about that. Yea I agree, he won the ball perfectly but after Kompany you never know.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #622: Jan 12, 2012 02:49:17 am
      Just got back from their sh*t hole.. Thought Kenny got it spot on tonight proud of the defensive display a draw would of been nice a win was awesome bring it on second leg Manchester c***s :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #623: Jan 12, 2012 02:49:38 am
       I have not seen the game but that result will do me,I had to be satisfied with reading a text version.Now I could be miles away from reallity but Agger seemed to have a good game  so going blind I will make Danny my man of the match.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #624: Jan 12, 2012 02:56:14 am
      I thought Carroll did well he did his job well when we scored early on and then went for no more goals he held the ball up. Had a good chance to score but on the wrong foot and i think Hart was awesome tonight great save. Tonight no one was really a man of the match though as it was a team performance.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #625: Jan 12, 2012 03:04:40 am
      Agree.. Still lacking the supply from the wings but learning to work from central positions. We need a quality Winger to get the best from him
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #626: Jan 12, 2012 05:15:23 am
      Just finished watching the second half - had to go out this morning at half time.  Typical first leg away performance - cannot expect any more than that. 

Despite their incredible home record, they only really had one good chance on target (Richards' header) and two good chances for Aguero (backpass and header).  Apart from that it was pretty lame long range shots.  The stats show they had 3 times as many chances as us - but as discussed in other threads, the quality of our chances were better and we could have been three up in 10mins.

I also thought Johnson played well tonight - but was probably lucky (given the Kompany challenge) not to be at least booked.  Not sure if his tackle on Aguero as he went across the box was sublime timing or fortunate recklessness.  I also just felt that Reina had the look of a keeper determined not to concede tonight after last weeks match.

Carroll was so isolated for large parts of the game but stuck to his task and actually made some good defensive headers from set pieces (note to Andy - attack the ball like that at the other end).

Once you start playing knock out matches, particularly the latter stages it is all about the result - not the performance - and we set our stall in the second half.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #627: Jan 12, 2012 05:40:29 am
      Were they showing laser/light at Gerrard before he took the kick?
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #628: Jan 12, 2012 06:11:01 am
      We know how to defend. FACT
      We still struggle to score though but it doesn't matter. They did the JOB. we scored away and conceded no goal. 
      Anxious about the 2nd leg though. If ManCity scores early in the game we may lose. We should be more efficient.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #629: Jan 12, 2012 06:52:32 am
      The stats show we were second best but I don't care!

There is only one stat that counts,and it says you are incorrect. :D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #630: Jan 12, 2012 07:51:56 am
      Excellent result which sets us up nicely for the return at Anfield in two weeks time. I thought we were superb in the 1st half, we passed it well, were bright and inventive going forward and really should have been 2 goals to the good. It was a reall loss to lose Spearing and i think that made things more difficult for us come the 2nd half but the lads defended tremendously. The 2nd half reminded me of the 0-0 draw away to Barca in the UEFA Cup in 2000 under Ged. Must admit it's not the way I (personally) like to go about protecting a lead but it worked so who cares! I wasn't sure where everybody was playing tbh but the lads were incedeibly organised and it was a perfect demo in how to play shape and shuffle because they didn't really have a sniff outside of the Kelly backpass. Still a lot of work to do mind.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,385 posts | 2823 
      Reply #631: Jan 12, 2012 07:58:45 am
      Wonder if City face punishment for one of their fans shining a laser pen or whatever it was in Gerrard's face before the penalty?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #632: Jan 12, 2012 08:13:11 am
      Last 20 mins we defended well, but the defence was all over the place. Aguero took 3 defenders with him, on more than one occasion.

I hope the Kop is in full voice in 13 days
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #633: Jan 12, 2012 08:19:34 am
      Was fun at first watching Nasri get slated in that video.  Bit mean that imo  >:D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #634: Jan 12, 2012 08:34:29 am
      Only if the ref mentions it in his report I think the rule is? And he never gave a free kick, so if that winds up in the report...well, nothing can surprise me with that shower any more.

Sky reporting that the Ref didnt see the tackle? Not sure what he was looking at if not the ball during open play but that what they said this morning. So i think that the FA can charge him as the Ref claims he didnt see it... (maybe that is sky just trying to wind up the situation though, maybe he just hasnt mentioned it in his match report as he felt it didnt need raising)

We will have to wait and see.. corrupt fuckers  :mad:
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #635: Jan 12, 2012 08:37:02 am
      2 footed tackle near the end of the game, won the ball, but it was a bit wreckless.

He could have had a red card for that one! I think it was similar to the tackle that has kompany suspended for 4 games! Besides that, He was my MOTM!

I was a bit puzzled by our formation the last 20 minutes. When Enrique came on, did Johnson move to DM? The last 10 minutes even 6 defenders with carragher coming on. But on the other hand, who cares, we won :)!
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #636: Jan 12, 2012 08:40:08 am
      An away win in the semi's and a nice £60 in my back pocket :D

Good times :D
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #637: Jan 12, 2012 08:44:37 am
      I thought Carroll did well he did his job well when we scored early on and then went for no more goals he held the ball up. Had a good chance to score but on the wrong foot and i think Hart was awesome tonight great save. Tonight no one was really a man of the match though as it was a team performance.

Self praise is no praise at all ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #638: Jan 12, 2012 08:56:12 am
      Get the F**k in. Made up with that. One foot in the Wembley door. Just have to finish the job at Anfield in 2 weeks. Come on You Redmen. Very proud of you lads.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #639: Jan 12, 2012 08:59:40 am
      Well done to the lads fantastic result.
      First half we were far & away the better team.
      2nd half we obviously decided to defend what we had (the lead).

Losing Jay Spearing changed the way we approached things imo but
      even after that we did a great job of defending our away lead.

Thought everyone did well great team display felt a bit for Andy Carroll not
      a easy night for him ploughing on up there on his jack but he stuck to it manfully.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #640: Jan 12, 2012 09:07:48 am
      Was saying last night that was our european 1st leg away game plan, get the goal and defend it. Ive always been a big believer of if you need to hold on to a lead then do it under any means necessary. Thought Johnson and Gerrard were world class also, Kelly still impresses me despite his awful back pass. All in all, job done. Very proud of the lads and Gerrard interuped Mancinis interview post game which was pleasing

audio here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16512668.stm
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #641: Jan 12, 2012 09:28:36 am
      Thought Downing was Awful again...

Apart from that everyone else was effective.

Carroll is clearly lacking service.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #642: Jan 12, 2012 09:45:10 am
      Agreed

Whilst he is lacking service, almost everything he tried, apart from the header on goal, and the chest down to Stevie(?) failed to come off.

I've always defended Andy, but last night he was undefendable. Right now he's a liability to us. Even when running in a straight line he stumbled, almost fell, and lost the ball. He's clearly suffering.

I want Andy to succeed, but we've had him for a year now, and against City he had one of his worse games. A whole year and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Even his effort levels were lacking, and he looked 2 yards slower than everyone els. He's not even holding the ball up for us. It's like we're playing with no attackers.

I felt for him last night, I like him, I really do, but there comes a time when both parties have to realise that perhaps this just isn't working. I really wouldn't be surprised if he's sold soon.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #643: Jan 12, 2012 09:47:44 am

Saw Gerrard having a go at him.
      Think when everyone, except Lucas, is fit this season Downing should be on the bench.

Quick Reply