Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Kenny Dalglish expects quiet transfer window for Liverpool

Read 29381 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Kenny Dalglish expects quiet transfer window for Liverpool
      Reply #23: Jan 13, 2012 06:48:08 pm
      Wouldn't really rule out transfer activity based on that article.

If there's business to be done, it will be done and behind closed doors just like it should be.

Can't remember any 'ITK' letting us know about Gerrard's new contract.

The Liverpool way that Kenny and the owners have stressed the club have returned to.. Stevies new contract came from nowhere for anyone from outside the club. The way it should be.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #24: Jan 13, 2012 07:10:36 pm
      Could be a smoke screen. ;)
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #25: Jan 13, 2012 07:16:17 pm
      I dont know what to make out of this. We need good players to finish in top 4.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #26: Jan 13, 2012 07:21:51 pm
      Anyone else concerned that we havent "seriously" been linked with anyone yet?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Jan 13, 2012 07:26:01 pm
      I dont know what to make out of this. We need good players to finish in top 4.

I wouldnt read too much into it, as Kenny said the money is there if we want to spend/can find the right players..
      If the right targets aren't available then players may not come in, we dont want to just sign for the sake of it.. But i dont think he will be telling the press if we are in any talks or tracking any players

Anyone else concerned that we havent "seriously" been linked with anyone yet?

No.. im happy as larry that the press dicks know nothing thats actually happening at the club.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #28: Jan 13, 2012 07:46:59 pm
      No.. im happy as larry that the press dicks know nothing thats actually happening at the club.

Since you put it that way, I am too actually :)
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #29: Jan 13, 2012 08:30:47 pm
      Think he's being honest, don't expect anything.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #30: Jan 13, 2012 09:01:33 pm
      Think he's being honest, don't expect anything.

I'm not expecting another January like last year, but I have to say that I expect us to bring in at least one player.  Even if he/they are just promising youth players like Zaha/Teixera/etc, I expect us to do some recruiting. 

The only frustrating thing is that our direct rivals for the 4th CL spot (Arsenal & Chelsea) are both supposedly going to be adding more top players in January.  Chelsea are already on the verge of signing Cahil, and Arsenal seem to be the likeliest destination for Lukas Podolski at the moment....
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #31: Jan 13, 2012 09:23:36 pm
      Could be just Kennys canny comments after the turbulent press conferences recently..? who knows whats goin on behind the Shankly gates..
      What you've also got to bear in mind is that we're in a pretty good position in that we don't have any players worrying about whether first team selection has any bearing on whether they are picked to play for their country in this summers Euro finals..we have our south americano squad members and really apart from those guys the likes of Agger , Skrtyl , Enrique ,Reina and the English lads will all get the nod to pull on their countries shirt (with the odd exception of Kuyt for me?..will he make the Dutch team this year?)..
      Unlike last year when Torres and Meireles wanted the "bigger stage" I feel our squad has a real togetherness(thanks to KD) and I can't see anyone pulling a fast one at the end of Jan and doin a runner...
      If it was the World Cup the activity may be different..
      Personally I can see us buying a british player..who that could be I honestly don't know...
      I wouldn't worry about what Chelsea.Spurs or Arsenal could buy..don't forget they've ALL gotta come to Anfield yet and face the music.. ;D
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #32: Jan 13, 2012 10:08:12 pm
      One thing for sure is that he's not going to be happy with the media right now, so imo, its very unlikely he'll be up for giving them ANYTHING to feast on..
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #33: Jan 13, 2012 10:08:58 pm
      Obvious we need a couple of players sure Kenny knows this. So is it Fsg aren't providing the funds
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jan 13, 2012 10:13:50 pm
      How about you wait for the window to close Corbally before jumping in with both feet.
      Two weeks left. Not a lot happened at any of the top clubs thus far.
      One player out of retirement and another back on loan.

lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #35: Jan 13, 2012 10:19:37 pm
      If we were chasing after 4-5 players, 1-2 players, or none whatsoever. Kenny Dalglish would say exactly the same thing to the media in whatever case.

He doesn't give anything away and we won't be able to second guess what we are up too.

He said Ryan Babel was staying, then he left the next day.

He said Torres was staying, then he left the exact same day.

I fully expect the club to be looking at every possibility, and it doesn't heat up until the last 10 days or so.

Last season, we spent nothing up until the last few days.

I fully expect one face to arrive in January - that being an offensive player of some type.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Jan 13, 2012 11:57:54 pm
      I fully expect one face to arrive in January - that being an offensive player of some type.

Well there will be plenty of offensive faces coming to Anfield in January. None more so than...

suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #37: Jan 14, 2012 12:28:25 am
      I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't bring anyone in.
      this plus100%
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jan 14, 2012 12:39:43 am
      Obvious we need a couple of players sure Kenny knows this. So is it Fsg aren't providing the funds

And if we have a quiet transfer window, are you going to automatically assume it was FSG and point the blame at them?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Jan 14, 2012 10:10:19 am
      Yep crouch. It is so obvious we are a couple of players short especially a striker. Its Fsg job to provide funds would find it hard to believe if Kenny and Damien were given twenty million to spend they wouldn't spend it. So far since Fsg are here we have spent 110 million recouped 80 million and saved approx 30 million on wages.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Jan 14, 2012 11:31:18 am
      Oh dear. A quandary wrapped up in a conundrum.

I'm assuming that we've now all accepted that: 1) Kenny has the final say on transfers and 2) Damien has no control over the  'purse strings' at Anfield.

In doing so 'we' must realise therefore: 1) Kenny got the players he wanted, 2) Damien convinced both their previous clubs to sell and the players to sign for L.F.C. and 3) F.S.G. were happy to pay whatever it took to secure the signings.

In doing so, with a high level of financial acumen, L.F.C. were left with (in my opinion) - a better, more sustainable, squad and a stronger Club. There's the bigger picture right there - a Club being built on solid financial foundations and a better team.

I find it strange that we, as adults, always feel the need to lay blame at 'someone's' door. The 'finger of blame', it would seem has now moved onto F.S.G. but... what exactly is it they are being 'blamed' for?

For putting us on a sound financial footing? Nah, can't be that. For previously providing Kenny with the money for the players he wanted? Surely not.

No, wait for it... F.S.G. are being 'blamed' in advance and just in case we don't sign any players, this transfer window - even tho' Kenny has stated, very clearly, “We’ve got an option to be active if we want to be active". Hmmm. 

Although I suppose if 'we' are happy to blame F.S.G., in advance, (for something that may never happen), 'we' will be quick to lavish praise on them should; 1) Kenny decide he wants a player, 2) Damien secures his signature and (more importantly) 3) They provide the funds.

Daft as this may 'sound' - I'm just going to wait and see what happens.  :-\
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #41: Jan 14, 2012 11:37:57 am
      I also recall Kenny making similar statements last year about being happy with the squad, players had responded etc.

I'll not be pre-judging our activity in this window till it closes and I won't be able to assess how well it's worked till the seasons over, I have a cold cerveza in my hand and Spanish sun on my back.

That's how we roll in this house  ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #42: Jan 14, 2012 11:49:06 am
      I have a cold cerveza in my hand and Spanish sun on my back.

b***ard.  ;D

I have a paint brush in my hand a nagging woman on my back.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #43: Jan 14, 2012 11:53:52 am
      Ha chill mate - I was just picturing my summer holidays. I'm just defrosting after coaching my 8yr olds team in minus 1 this mornin!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Jan 14, 2012 11:58:23 am
      Ha chill mate - I was just picturing my summer holidays.

And I was picturing mine sadly .  ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Jan 14, 2012 12:23:05 pm
      Clear we need signings. Id like like to think Kenny can see this. So if no money is spent it is a legitimate question as to why not. Ive yet to see Fsg provide the funds needed to win a league. If we dont spend money we will not get champions league

Quick Reply