Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Teresa Winter - retires - 3 decades of service to LFC

Read 3680 times
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Teresa Winter - retires - 3 decades of service to LFC
      Jul 03, 2013 06:48:28 pm
      I thought this was a good read

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/138485-i-asked-kenny-to-talk-slower

Few members of staff have seen as much or given as many years of service to Liverpool Football Club during the last three decades as Teresa Winter.
      cleaner website

The Anfield cleaner and former tea lady, Teresa has seen the club lift 19 major honours under nine first-team managers.

But now, after three decades, she has decided to hang up her mop and duster and is looking forward to putting her feet up for a well-earned retirement.

As she prepared for one final shift we sat down with Teresa to reflect on her time at the club.

Arriving in January 1983, Teresa joined the club when they were at their all-conquering best - the 'glory years' of the 1980s, a time she looks back on with great fondness, under one Reds boss in particular.

"There have been nine managers but it was only Kenny, you couldn't better him," said Teresa.

"I know people talk about one big happy family, but we were. Everybody knew each other, we were all treated the same.

"That's when I used to be tea lady. When Kenny became manager he wanted all the YTS and the first team to be together; we used to cook them a bit of lunch and make Kenny's tea and his boiled egg and breakfast. They were happy days."

The players were not always on their best behaviour, however, as Teresa recalled instances when Kenny and his team would leave them a little confused or embarrassed.

She continued: "Kenny had a very dry sense of humour, as you know. Quite honestly he used to talk to you and he would do it on purpose, I know he did.

"He would mumble his words on purpose; in the end I'd say 'Kenny, talk a bit slower, I can't understand a word you're saying.'

"They were practical jokers. There was filming here once, back in the '80s. We were doing them a bit of lunch in the kitchen, and the cameras were rolling, and they all came in the tiniest pair of shorts you have ever seen in your life.

"Thankfully they only showed their legs, because our faces were absolutely beetroot. They were fun guys."

Sitting in the trophy room at Anfield, Teresa cites the location as an example of how much the club has changed and explains how working for such a successful team can have its downsides.

>>

I've always believed greatness is the result of many people coming together for the same cause.  Many times however, we tend to forget the really behind the scenes people.  This lady has seen our glory days and not so glory days... she has celebrated and has grieved.... she has lasted much longer than any player or manager... and really has been a true asset to our beloved club.   Her perspectives / stories/ insights really help give fans like me a small glimpse of what happens behind the closed doors.... looks like we are really one big happy family :)

good luck to Teresa in her future endeavors! YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Re: Teresa Winter - retires - 3 decades of service to LFC
      Reply #1: Jul 03, 2013 06:56:53 pm
      good luck to Teresa in her future endeavors! YNWA

Not so much future endeavours, more like retirement.

She must of went through loads of dusters back in the 80s cleaning all that silverware!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2: Jul 03, 2013 08:57:46 pm
      Not so much future endeavours, more like retirement.

She must of went through loads of dusters back in the 80s cleaning all that silverware!!

Too F***ing right.

Good luck to Teresa in her retirement and i hope the Club still keep an eye on her and at least give her a Season Ticket for the rest of her life in lieu of services rendered.

What a woman!. Massive respect. Thank you Teresa.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #3: Jul 03, 2013 09:58:46 pm
      Hope she enjoys her retirement. Love hearing these kind of stories about your average person who work behind the scenes and how they contribute in their own way.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jul 03, 2013 10:18:55 pm
      "There have been nine managers but it was only Kenny, you couldn't better him," said Teresa.

Too right Teresa.
      What great memories she must have.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Jul 03, 2013 10:24:01 pm
      Bill Shankly said that everyone has a role to play in the success of Liverpool Football Club and that includes the tea lady, the cleaners and everyone up to the Directors, I bet Teresa has seen a few things in her time at Liverpool, I wish her all the very best as she puts her feet up and has a well deserved cuppa  :)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Jul 03, 2013 10:28:09 pm
      TQ Teresa.

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Jul 03, 2013 11:39:12 pm
      The club survives and thrives from the bottom up not the top down.

Its people like her who are the glue of our fantastic football club.

30 years. Good on yer girl !

All the best in whatever you do.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2013 09:03:55 am
      The club survives and thrives from the bottom up not the top down.

Its people like her who are the glue of our fantastic football club.

30 years. Good on yer girl !

All the best in whatever you do.
      Well said Skip,maybe it will give some supporters an idea of how this club used to be run and why it was so successfull.There was no room for prima donnas in those days.I might add those were the standards initiated by Bill Shankly,Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan right through to Kenny Dalglish.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2013 09:34:16 am
      30 years, wow! That's longer than I've been on this planet. Must admit, I had never heard of her before. However, that is excellent commitment. Hope she enjoys retirement and make the most of it. Absolute credit to our club.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2013 09:45:07 am
      So, Liverpool have lost another sweeper, Tut,tut, who's going to mop up now,?  ;D, for thirty years the dust has been swept by reaching for the ceiling while her feet have been firmly on the red carpet, famous faces have come and gone, famous faces who have tread in the wake of this true heroine and legend of our fantastic club, Teresa, you are an absolute hero, good luck in your retirement, for you will 'Never Walk Alone'.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2013 09:45:33 am
      In many ways a simpler, happier time. Congrats to her on a well earned retirement. lets hope her replacement needs some extra silver polish
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: Jul 05, 2013 02:38:54 pm
      What a great feature story that is!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2013 08:49:02 pm
      FSG probably trying to free up wages.

Good story though, hope she enjoys retirement.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2013 12:32:26 pm
      30 years wow that's a mighty long time to be working for one organisation and is no easy feat. How often we forgot the contribution of the supporting staff and in life we tend to take things for granted until we lost them. Anyway, all the best to Teresa and wish her the best in her future endeavours and she certainly deserves a rest.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: Jul 08, 2013 06:20:17 pm
      Thank you Teresa for everything you've done for the club!  :champ:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Jul 08, 2013 08:36:47 pm
      Absolutely loved reading that! Good retirement Teresa.

Quick Reply